OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3865)
-   -   Rookies (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=241149)

Ginner 03-06-2014 10:08 AM

Rookies

I originally posted this question in the New to the Game forum but Bluenoser kindly directed me to this forum (I didn't think of posting it here).

I have set-up an historical MLB game (starting in 1940) and changed all the team names to fictional ones (for my British Baseball League) as I, obviously, wanted a fictional league but have all the real-life MLB players involved.

I now have 2 questions.

1. Am I correct in thinking that if I check the box to "Import Historical Rookies to the Free Agent Pool" then all the rookies for a particular year will automatically be placed into free agency and any team can then obtain that player?

2. At some point in the future of my league I want to introduce colleges (or some sort of feeder league, anyway)...but what I don't want is for computer generated players to be generated for that league and then find their way into my major leagues (i want to keep it to real-life MLB players only). If possible, I'd like to see the rookies play for the feeder teams? Does this make sense and, if so, is there anyway for this to happen?

Charlie Hough 03-08-2014 05:57 PM

Yes, historical rookies can be put into the free agent pool. The game can do this automatically. Just keep in mind that the AI has no means of evaluating the long-term future value of these players beyond their initial potential ratings. So it's incredibly easy for the human GM to dominate and sign a lot of top historical rookies or get the better of the AI in trades.

As far as feeder leagues go, I don't think you can assign players to them. Feeder leagues are really for producing players that feed into your draft or minors. You should use minors instead and either choose to have the game use ghost players to fill out the minor league rosters or use the option to block fictional players from the majors. I'd use ghost players, otherwise the AI will treat fictional players like they have value, even though they can never play in the majors.

Ginner 03-09-2014 10:40 AM

Thanks for the response.

The answer to the first point is just what I was hoping for. For the first 20 years or so (certainly until I introduce the draft into my league) I just want to sim the league, so the there will be no human GM input involved in transactions etc. My purpose was to have the biggest teams, or the teams with the largest budget, to "hog" star players like the Yankees and Cards did in the 40s. As I explained my league is British and we seem quite happy to exploit the situation where the richest teams get the best players.

One further question on this point though, do I simply disable the "Amateur Draft" option and enable the "Import Historical Rookies..." option?

And, sorry to ask a follow up question on point 2, I now appreciate you can't import the rookies for a particular year into feeder leagues so how about this - could I set-up an independent league, place the rookies into that league and then use that league to draft from?

Charlie Hough 03-09-2014 11:10 AM

I think there is a box to check to import historical rookies as free agents. And, yes, turn off the draft.

Always do a test league first, though, to make sure you get the results you want.

However, I don't think there is any way to import rookies but have them play in an independent league and then be drafted. They would have to sign contracts to play for independent league teams anyway, so then they would never be eligible for a draft pool.

To my knowledge, you have to use minors or reserve lists, and you have to use a draft or have historical rookies imported as free agents. There aren't other options for games using historical rookies.

Ginner 03-11-2014 09:13 AM

Thank you very much for the comprehensive answer, appreciate it.

Charlie Hough 03-11-2014 10:43 AM

I should also clarify that, if you're using real historical teams, there is an option to import historical rookies and automatically assign them to their real life teams. This can still work with fictional team names, as long as those teams still have their historical team IDs, which allows them to match up with the database.

Ginner 03-12-2014 06:43 PM

Yeah, I saw that when I was setting-up my league again today but I want the rookies to sign for whoever wants them...I want my league to follow its own historical course, wherever that may go.

The main reason for using the historical league set-up is because I want to use real-life MLB players in the course of it's history.

Thanks though.