OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Text to speech (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=230535)

clwalcott 04-12-2013 07:15 PM

Text to speech

Rather than me flailing through the menus in this game, does anyone know where to turn it on?

ootp3to6 04-12-2013 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clwalcott (Post 3480324)
Rather than me flailing through the menus in this game, does anyone know where to turn it on?

Check the game "Preferences".

old timer 04-12-2013 07:28 PM

When you start a game, look under the "play by play" options on the left and then click the "game sound" drop down and choose one of the text to speech options.

clwalcott 04-12-2013 07:41 PM

Thanks mate, let's see how this goes...

clwalcott 04-12-2013 07:46 PM

lol nah...noble idea and maybe in ten years will rock but nah right now

yougo1000 04-12-2013 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clwalcott (Post 3480364)
lol nah...noble idea and maybe in ten years will rock but nah right now

Agreed voice a little too creepy right now.

Templer 04-12-2013 08:36 PM

Text to speech

It's not more then a gimmick. But it's a first step in a good direction.
If OOTP continues there fine work, wo don't need the MLB anymore.

old timer 04-13-2013 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yougo1000 (Post 3480374)
Agreed voice a little too creepy right now.

I agree the voices available right now don't cut it. Mainly, the problem is their lack of emotion. With that said, there are better voices out there, but not for free. The one I use sounds much better than the ones that come with Windows 8, but still without emotion.

Ormondbeachdan 04-13-2013 08:15 AM

I still can't find the button to push for text to speech...am I Losing it??LOL..So you start a broadcast and it should be an option????

redranger 04-13-2013 10:45 AM

Text to speech

Man I tell you if they could ever get this to the level that baseball for windows ever did with Ernie Harrell voice it would be incredible. Defiantly a step in the right direction as this could takes leaps over the next couple of Versions

redranger 04-13-2013 10:45 AM

Text to speech

Quote:

Originally Posted by redranger (Post 3481050)
Man I tell you if they could ever get this to the level that baseball for windows ever did with Ernie Harrell voice it would be incredible. Defiantly a step in the right direction as this could takes leaps over the next couple of Versions

Sorry. Meant Ernie Harwell

old timer 04-13-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redranger (Post 3481052)
Sorry. Meant Ernie Harwell

Yeah, I still sometimes play that game (seriously!) just so I can listen to a game sometimes. I wish we could have someone like that for historical leagues, but it obviously wouldn't be possible for fictional with the number of names possible that would need to be pronounced. Maybe some day they'll add emotion to the voices and we'll be much closer to a real person then.

pstrickert 04-13-2013 02:42 PM

IMO, TTS in Windows 8 is a big step forward from Windows 7. There is still lots of room for improvement. But I rather like it -- though I can understand if some people have a different opinion. ;)

BTW, I sent a modified English.xml file to OOTP Mods. It makes the PbP read a bit better with the TTS feature.

ootp3to6 04-13-2013 06:16 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ormondbeachdan (Post 3480942)
I still can't find the button to push for text to speech...am I Losing it??LOL..So you start a broadcast and it should be an option????

Here you go.

pstrickert 05-08-2013 10:45 AM

The Modified English.xml file has been updated. It is available at OOTP Mods.

Instructions: Download the zip file. Extract it. Replace the English.xml file (located in the OOTP "text" folder). Be sure to back up the original English.xml file.

Quinton_Upchurch 05-08-2013 12:05 PM

What does the update include pstrickert? I've edited the original myself to suit TTS more appropriately, just wondering if it's worth me downloading your newest version.

pstrickert 05-08-2013 12:06 PM

It replaces the hyphen in pitch counts with a blank space. Plus, it changes zeroes to "O"s. So, the TTS Narrator will read pitch counts more naturally.

Quinton_Upchurch 05-08-2013 12:22 PM

Ah okay thanks. Good work.

On another TTS matter, do you know how OOTP chooses the TTS voice?
I have a number of various downloaded voices on my machine. For all the American accented ones, I can simply change my default Windows setting and this is reflected in the game. But if I use a British English voice, say, as my default Windows option, OOTP reverts to using one of my American voices.

Is there a setting somewhere where I can get OOTP to use non-American voices?

pstrickert 05-08-2013 12:27 PM

That's a good question. I'll ask Andreas if he knows.

Quinton_Upchurch 05-08-2013 12:34 PM

Thanks for that. There's a couple of really good British accented voices out there which I'd like to try out. For some reason the British accent comes across well in TTS, although I'm less sure it will suit baseball announcing. There's also a Spanish American one which sounds very cool (although the language barrier may be insurmountable for OOTP usage).