OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3865)
-   -   initial import question (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=239784)

thehef 01-14-2014 04:25 PM

initial import question

Let's say you're starting a historical league in 1901. Upon initial import, the game will obviously bring in players whose debut year was 1901. It will also bring in players whose debut was prior to 1901 (Christy Mathewson, for example, who debuted in 1900). However, the game will not import all players in the database, since the beginning of baseball time. In other words, the guys who debuted in 1871 are not going to be imported because they would be in the neighborhood of at least their late-40's.

So my question is, how does the game decide whom to import and whom not to import? Does it simply evaluate age/ratings/stats and decide who should still be active and who should not? That would seem reasonable, but I'm just wondering if there's more to it (that is known, anyway). And, if that is the case, might that evaluation turn out differently in separate imports? For example, could a 38-year-old guy whose stats would indicate that he's just about ready to retire end up as imported one time, and - in a new game & import - be passed over?

Thanks in advance.

David Watts 01-14-2014 04:35 PM

If you are using the database that comes with OOTP, the game is going to import every player that played during the season you import.

thehef 01-14-2014 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3627671)
If you are using the database that comes with OOTP, the game is going to import every player that played during the season you import.

That makes perfect sense. So if you are using any other database, the game would import any player with stats for the import season.

David Watts 01-14-2014 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehef (Post 3627692)
That makes perfect sense. So if you are using any other database, the game would import any player with stats for the import season.

I know some of the other data bases bring in players at the age of 18. The one that comes with the game will debut a player in whatever season he made his real life debut. Example, Ty Cobb will arrive during the 1905, Walter Johnson and Tris Speaker will arrive in 1907.

The Game 01-14-2014 08:54 PM

Hef I might be misunderstanding. The game imports all players who were active that year. It will not import retired players but they show up in league history and through the search function. Especially if you import league history.

thehef 01-15-2014 05:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Game (Post 3627890)
Hef I might be misunderstanding. The game imports all players who were active that year. It will not import retired players but they show up in league history and through the search function. Especially if you import league history.

Was doing some testing of a db that I modded and - long story short - was getting confused on some of what I was seeing, then was overthinking:confused:. Your answer and DW's are of course correct and I actually knew this already, but temporarily forgot that I knew. Appreciate the responses tho.:thumbup1: