OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - 3D Models (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3879)
-   -   Daniel Saline's USBL (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=292005)

eriqjaffe 08-18-2018 06:44 PM

Daniel Saline's USBL

A few years ago, Pwal created a set of logos and uniforms based on a fictional concept created by sportslogos.net forum user Daniel Saline:

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=255816

http://boards.sportslogos.net/topic/...s-posted-2424/

Of course, Daniel's concept league featured more than just logos and uniforms for his 24 teams, he also made some extremely creative ballpark diagrams.

Daniel has graciously given me permission to build & release 3D parks based on his drawings, and I will be posting them to this thread as I get them done and ready for use.

eriqjaffe 08-18-2018 06:49 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Davis-Monthan Field, home of the Arizona Sidewinders

Quote:

Davis-Monthan Field is named after the Air Force base nearby in Tuscon. The team is very well connected with the military and used to have camouflage Sunday sets to match. The grass design looks like a mistake--and was. In 2000, the grounds crew accidentally mowed down the grass in the wrong places, making for an unconventional look. The team suddenly caught fire, and the “design” has been kept ever since. Bizzare, but true. You can’t make this stuff up.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/70r1b7...Field.zip/file

itsmb8 08-18-2018 08:03 PM

Just thinking out loud, would I just replace image files to get different logos on the field, or would I have to do that in a 3d program? Hopefully its the former.

eriqjaffe 08-18-2018 08:28 PM

I think you can go into the "Davis-Monthan Field_Textures" folder and edit the source texture file(s), but I have to admit I'm not 100% sure. But once I have them all done I was planning on releasing a set without any team-specific branding.

itsmb8 08-18-2018 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe (Post 4358513)
I think you can go into the "Davis-Monthan Field_Textures" folder and edit the source texture file(s), but I have to admit I'm not 100% sure. But once I have them all done I was planning on releasing a set without any team-specific branding.

Thank you! Also, if/when you do, would you be able to just post them as blank source files, so we can brand it to whichever team we want?

drksd4848 08-20-2018 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmb8 (Post 4358508)
Just thinking out loud, would I just replace image files to get different logos on the field, or would I have to do that in a 3d program? Hopefully its the former.

It's fairly easy; you don't need a 3D program. If you take a freeware program like paint.net and open up the textures, you can paste over any image you want or modify the color, and it will show up in the 3D model. I've done that many 3D models where I would use one stadium for multiple teams. I basically tweak some adverts, change the color of the outfield fence texture - or even change the back drop - and voila. You have a slightly different looking stadium. Sort of like the national league toilet bowl stadiums of the 70s and 80s. Essentially the same, but slightly different.

Make sure you keep the original file name of the texture.

itsmb8 08-20-2018 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drksd4848 (Post 4359148)
It's fairly easy; you don't need a 3D program. If you take a freeware program like paint.net and open up the textures, you can paste over any image you want or modify the color, and it will show up in the 3D model. I've done that many 3D models where I would use one stadium for multiple teams. I basically tweak some adverts, change the color of the outfield fence texture - or even change the back drop - and voila. You have a slightly different looking stadium. Sort of like the national league toilet bowl stadiums of the 70s and 80s. Essentially the same, but slightly different.

Make sure you keep the original file name of the texture.

I use gimp lol I know what to do in that regard. I just didn’t see the S specifically in textures behind the plate, so idk if thats a texture or specifically in the 3d model

drksd4848 08-20-2018 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmb8 (Post 4359205)
I use gimp lol I know what to do in that regard. I just didn’t see the S specifically in textures behind the plate, so idk if thats a texture or specifically in the 3d model

Ah... OK. BTW, speaking of GIMP, your post got me thinking that I should try it out in lieu of paint.net. I started checking it out today,

How do you like it? Have you ever used paint.net?

eriqjaffe 08-20-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsmb8 (Post 4359205)

The field just uses Daniel's diagram as a texture instead of silvam's method of using a 3d infield on top of a grass or turf texture - I found it far easier using Daniel's files rather than trying to replicate all his complex mow patterns. In the textures folder there is the source diagram file, and that's what you'd need to edit.

itsmb8 08-20-2018 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe (Post 4359262)
The field just uses Daniel's diagram as a texture instead of silvam's method of using a 3d infield on top of a grass or turf texture - I found it far easier using Daniel's files rather than trying to replicate all his complex mow patterns. In the textures folder there is the source diagram file, and that's what you'd need to edit.

That was it! Thank you!

DreamTeams 08-20-2018 11:47 PM

[QUOTE=eriqjaffe;4358484]Davis-Monthan Field, home of the Arizona Sidewinders

This is an excellent 3D stadium design, eriqjaffe. Fits well within the game. Love how you've minimized the roof decking so as to make for ease and wider variety of custom camera angles. Also, thanks for including the dug-out rooftop textures so they can be easily edited. Bravo!

eriqjaffe 08-21-2018 12:27 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Harbor Street Yards, home of the Boston Masons

Quote:

Harbor Street Yards is a block or so from the Boston Harbor, which creates a beautiful backdrop but also an awful parking situation. The stadium was built in 1963 and has gone through several renovations, leading many casual fans to perceive it as younger than it really is. The ballpark is known for its massive foul territory behind home plate, and it used to be even larger. Harbor Street Yards was fairly circular when it opened, as it hosted a professional American football team as well. The park yields a lot of longballs, as the wind often blows out toward right-center field, making the gaps play even smaller than they appear.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/ah6fim...Yards.zip/file

Chico Guilbault 08-21-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe (Post 4359511)
Harbor Street Yards, home of the Boston Masons

http://www.mediafire.com/file/ah6fim...Yards.zip/file

Amazing stuff here, this is my new favorite thread.

Scott Vibert 08-22-2018 08:47 AM

Wow

Flying_Canuck 08-22-2018 12:08 PM

These are quality stuff! Such beautiful creations based on great concepts. The ballparks themselves look really good, and I especially noticed the background, too! How are you capturing those scenary?? It is amazing.

eriqjaffe 08-22-2018 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying_Canuck (Post 4359881)
These are quality stuff! Such beautiful creations based on great concepts. The ballparks themselves look really good, and I especially noticed the background, too! How are you capturing those scenary?? It is amazing.

Thanks! It's actually pretty simple, once you get the hang of it:

1) Find a skyline or panorama shot using Google Images.

2) Using an image editor of choice, erase the "sky" from the image and save the image as a transparent PNG. Because of the way Sketchup tiles textures, it's a good idea to leave a fair amount of "blank" space between the top of the visible portion of the image and the actual border of the image. Look at the "skyline" images in the textures folders to see what I'm talking about.

3) In Sketchup, create a group of the entire ballpark and then draw a "pie" arc, with the point at home plate, arcing around the outside of the ballpark (keep it fairly close to the wall).

4) Use the "push/pull" tool to stretch the "pie" arc so that it's far taller than the park.

5) Delete the non-arced sections of the "pie", so you're left with just the arc. Then connect the four corners so you wind up with a flat surface. Delete the top of the shape, as you won't need it.

6) Apply the skyline image as a texture to the flat surface, and adjust as needed. Right-click on the placed texture and go to Texture -> Projected. Then select the paint bucket tool and hold ALT while clicking on the texture (this turns the paint bucket into an eye dropper) and select the texture.

7) Paint that texture on the arc and wham! You have a projected texture.

8) You can then delete the flat surface and any unnecessary vertices.

9) Fill the "bottom" of the arc with a texture of your choice to prevent visible gaps between the park and the skyline. Use the move tool to lower the pie a little bit on the blue axis so that the bottom of the pie doesn't overlap the field surface - you may need to lower it more than that so it looks right, but the overlapping is the key thing.

10) Profit!

This video more or less walks you through the projecting procedure, except he uses an s-curved shape instead of a single arc. But the concept is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHsRRLCAOm8

eriqjaffe 08-23-2018 11:35 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Heritage Field, home of the Brooklyn Privateers

Quote:

Heritage Field also made a good case for an expansion team in New York. The ballpark is a former home of the Knights, has hosted 3 All Star Games in different decades, as well as a prospects game for future USBL draftees. The 24-foot-tall brick wall in left field makes up for the short distance, making a homer to left-center field a near impossible feat. In center, an uphill slope makes long fly balls a difficult play for outfielders and provides a great old-time quirk. The majority of space from the hill to the right field pole is an extension of the hill and can be used as overflow seating for playoffs, All Star Games, or concerts. The enlarged batters’ circle with the words “Welcome to Brooklyn” is another iconic feature of Heritage Field.
http://www.mediafire.com/file/jsjl8t...Field.zip/file

silvam14 08-26-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe (Post 4360182)
Heritage Field, home of the Brooklyn Privateers

http://www.mediafire.com/file/jsjl8t...Field.zip/file

Top notch stuff on your parks! I particularly like the team/city specific touches you put on the field.

Do you know about creating the night background images from your day image to make things darker? You can even add window lighting for added effect

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

eriqjaffe 08-27-2018 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silvam14 (Post 4361179)
Do you know about creating the night background images from your day image to make things darker? You can even add window lighting for added effect

No, I don't, actually. Is that in one of your tutorial videos?

silvam14 08-27-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eriqjaffe (Post 4361495)
No, I don't, actually. Is that in one of your tutorial videos?

No, it is not. Adion is the one with the most experience, but I’ve got the procedure down pat. I’ll post it later today

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk