OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3940)
-   -   Random Debut draft (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=288842)

sprague 04-23-2018 08:00 AM

Random Debut draft

Quick question.
Does the yearly draft have to take place on dec 15 like in other historical games, or can the date be moved in random debut and still get historical players
Thanks

actionjackson 04-23-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprague (Post 4315710)
Quick question.
Does the yearly draft have to take place on dec 15 like in other historical games, or can the date be moved in random debut and still get historical players
Thanks

I've run mine on November 1st, with no consequences...So far (40 seasons).

EDIT: I set it up that way when I set up the game, so I can't comment on how it would be to switch mid-stream, but I can't imagine there would be any issues provided you do the switch in the pre-season.

sprague 04-23-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by actionjackson (Post 4315760)
I've run mine on November 1st, with no consequences...So far (40 seasons).

EDIT: I set it up that way when I set up the game, so I can't comment on how it would be to switch mid-stream, but I can't imagine there would be any issues provided you do the switch in the pre-season.

Ok going to try a March draft and see what happens. Very curious...

italyprof 04-23-2018 12:34 PM

sprague, I change the date even in mid-season sometime when I see that the teams don't have enough regular or full-time players or pitchers. So you change it whenever you need to or want to if you play in Commissioner Mode.

You can't set it to a calendar date before March 1, though. But anytime from March 1 to Dec. 31 works okay.

actionjackson 04-23-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sprague (Post 4315776)
Ok going to try a March draft and see what happens. Very curious...

I would recommend against that. Remember that historical players come in in the draft that happens a year before they debuted. Also, not all free agents are signed by then, so if you play with compensation picks for free agents lost, that may get a bit messed up. The reason I use November 1st is that the draft occurs before that offseason's free agents file for free agency. Right now I use two rounds of playoffs, so usually the draft is a few days after the offseason. When I get up to three rounds, I'll probably push the draft back to November 11th. All that being said, it is your game, so play it your way and give it a shot. I'm just trying to show you things you may not have considered. Let us know how it goes.

italyprof 04-23-2018 12:47 PM

I largely agree ActionJackson, and you have always argued convincingly for the postseason draft. But it is also true that the players' debuts and their first MLB season are usually 2-4 seasons apart in a random debut. So it does not make a dramatic difference in most cases, since you often get players who can play in your A or AA league for a couple of years and only rarely go straight to the majors on the roster.