OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3876)
-   -   Pitcher tendencies (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=252021)

NYPOTENCE 03-20-2015 02:27 PM

Pitcher tendencies

Can a pitcher's tendency change throughout the course of their careers? Maybe they see a boost in movement or learn a new pitch could this change their tendency.

RchW 03-20-2015 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYPOTENCE (Post 3830897)
Can a pitcher's tendency change throughout the course of their careers? Maybe they see a boost in movement or learn a new pitch could this change their tendency.

Expand on tendency for me. The term is wide ranging.

NYPOTENCE 03-20-2015 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3830902)
Expand on tendency for me. The term is wide ranging.

When it says when a pitcher is a fly ball pitcher, ground ball pitcher, Neutral etc. Could they go from a Fly ball pitcher to a Neutral pitcher?

RchW 03-20-2015 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYPOTENCE (Post 3830958)
When it says when a pitcher is a fly ball pitcher, ground ball pitcher, Neutral etc. Could they go from a Fly ball pitcher to a Neutral pitcher?

It's possible. You would have to shortlist several pitchers when young and see what happens. I can't say that I've ever looked closely at it. To me it makes sense that an older pitcher may become more fly ball like as they lose stuff. Alternatively developing a sinker may work the other way but lead to more HR allowed by non sinking sinkers.:D

Here is a question back. Why would you care? Would you not evaluate pitchers on the sum total of their contribution? Innings pitched quality starts, WAR and/or xFIP and general reliability. My point is that you can't really control the tendency so why not look at what they do with all their skills and put a team on the field that can catch the balls that stay in the park.

My :2cents:

NYPOTENCE 03-20-2015 04:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3831038)
It's possible. You would have to shortlist several pitchers when young and see what happens. I can't say that I've ever looked closely at it. To me it makes sense that an older pitcher may become more fly ball like as they lose stuff. Alternatively developing a sinker may work the other way but lead to more HR allowed by non sinking sinkers.:D

Here is a question back. Why would you care? Would you not evaluate pitchers on the sum total of their contribution? Innings pitched quality starts, WAR and/or xFIP and general reliability. My point is that you can't really control the tendency so why not look at what they do with all their skills and put a team on the field that can catch the balls that stay in the park.

My :2cents:

Thanks for the Reply.

As for your question(s), I do focus on WAR and other stats more than I do pitcher tendency but I don't disregard their tendencies either. If I'm bringing a pitcher into a very homer-friendly park I'd much rather have someone who relies on keeping the ball on the ground.

RchW 03-20-2015 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYPOTENCE (Post 3831077)
Thanks for the Reply.

As for your question(s), I do focus on WAR and other stats more than I do pitcher tendency but I don't disregard their tendencies either. If I'm bringing a pitcher into a very homer-friendly park I'd much rather have someone who relies on keeping the ball on the ground.

If he is very good you should not ignore FB pitchers. Consider Fergie Jenkins and the home park he pitched in. Check out his nickname.

bking123 03-24-2015 03:44 PM

I can say for certain that pitching tendencies have changed for me. I've seen ground ball to fly ball, and Extreme ground ball to neutral.

I don't live or die by the tendencies but I do pay attention to them, as often I play in homer happy ballparks.

When it changes it seems to be fairly gradual.