OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Issues with followers (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303410)

daysauce 05-20-2019 01:23 PM

Issues with followers

When I have a follower in the rotation during simulations, the AI tend to utilize the follower as another bullpen arm. I've noticed this in both perfect team and offline play. Is there a way around it other than not setting the pitcher as a follower until prior to his "starting" spot comes up?

x McLovin x 05-20-2019 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daysauce (Post 4491011)
When I have a follower in the rotation during simulations, the AI tend to utilize the follower as another bullpen arm. I've noticed this in both perfect team and offline play. Is there a way around it other than not setting the pitcher as a follower until prior to his "starting" spot comes up?

I've had this same thing happen to me several times and actually asked about in another thread although I don't think the developers had a chance to see it. It is pretty frustrating when this happens because it basically burns 2 "starting pitchers" in one game. My workaround has been to manually bench the other follower for 1 game when a follower is schedule to play, but I would love a mechanized solution for this as it's very tedious.

daysauce 05-20-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by x McLovin x (Post 4491049)
I've had this same thing happen to me several times and actually asked about in another thread although I don't think the developers had a chance to see it. It is pretty frustrating when this happens because it basically burns 2 "starting pitchers" in one game. My workaround has been to manually bench the other follower for 1 game when a follower is schedule to play, but I would love a mechanized solution for this as it's very tedious.

You'd think it's not that hard to fix.. I'd guess that as of now, followers are regarded as bullpen arms by the game and thus would be pressed into service when needed.. all they gotta do is add a line of code that says followers are "not relievers" and therefore covered under the "allow SP in relief = no" check

Matt Arnold 05-20-2019 04:24 PM

We only will use guys from the rotation (whether they have a follower tag set or not) as an extreme last resort case if nobody else in the bullpen is available. I know a patch or two back they were used in some cases otherwise, but that should have been fixed sometime in the last couple patches (I forget which one it was fixed in).

daysauce 05-20-2019 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4491074)
We only will use guys from the rotation (whether they have a follower tag set or not) as an extreme last resort case if nobody else in the bullpen is available. I know a patch or two back they were used in some cases otherwise, but that should have been fixed sometime in the last couple patches (I forget which one it was fixed in).

Ok thank you.. I'll try some more sims with an eight-man bullpen.

daysauce 08-02-2019 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4491074)

I'm noticing some more issues with this... As seen in the first picture, my opener (Bridges) pitched the 1st inning as planned. Then, my intended follower (Kershaw) entered the game and was soundly knocked out recording only one out. At that point, I had more than enough rested arms in the bullpen. That's evident by their usage later on in the same game, in fact, there were other unused relievers with two days rest. However, the game decided to pitch my other follower (Corbin) on two days rest. In the second picture is the pitching settings I had (strange staff isn't it), although my primary long reliever was unavailable, I nonetheless had another somewhat rested reliever whose secondary role is long reliever (Bieber) available. There were many options available, yet the AI decided to pitch a guy who's meant to be in the rotation. Also seen in the second picture, I have allow SP in relief set to no and rotation mode set to strict order in effort to avoid something like this, but that's not helping. Honestly, if they end up using Corbin later in the game after my other bullpen options are depleted, I'd understand. But, using other pitchers in the rotation in the 2nd inning with many other relievers ready to go, I do not understand

TL,DR in a situation I wouldn't call "extreme last resort," a follower in my rotation was used

daysauce 08-02-2019 08:01 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I just realized opponent's pitching line in the boxscore isn't so right. I wasn't able to replicate it, but here's the right version

TomVeal 08-02-2019 11:54 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the best procedure is to put followers into the starting rotation with the "follower" strategy designation and openers in the bullpen with the secondary role of "opener". Then the followers won't be called on to relieve. There's a risk that no opener will be available when a follower's turn in the rotation comes around, but in that case the game will use him as a starter.

Dyzalot 08-02-2019 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomVeal (Post 4521720)
Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to me that the best procedure is to put followers into the starting rotation with the "follower" strategy designation and openers in the bullpen with the secondary role of "opener". Then the followers won't be called on to relieve. There's a risk that no opener will be available when a follower's turn in the rotation comes around, but in that case the game will use him as a starter.

Unless I've been missing something, there is no ability to set roles for pitchers placed in the rotation.

Orcin 08-02-2019 06:23 PM

Quote:

This is the best way. You set the role to be follower in the individual player strategy section.

daysauce 08-02-2019 07:56 PM

Quote:

That is what I'm doing, but I'm still running into the problem above. Seems it's best if there isn't more than one follower in the rotation

OldFatGuy 08-02-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by daysauce (Post 4491063)
You'd think it's not that hard to fix.. k

There is a very simple fix. Don't use openers/followers.:p

daysauce 08-02-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFatGuy (Post 4521877)
There is a very simple fix. Don't use openers/followers.:p

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: