OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - In-Game Text and PbP Commentary (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3635)
-   -   Domestic Violence in OOTP (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=149211)

Felix is our king! 06-05-2007 06:40 PM

Domestic Violence in OOTP

1 Attachment(s)
Is this someone's idea of a cruel joke? I just had this off-field injury occur:

"Florida shortstop Jerry Gil has an undisclosed injury, which he suffered while punching a wall in a fight with his wife."

In light of the Myers and Dukes incidents, can we at least make sure this never shows up in another news story? I can't believe this was in there in the first place.

Sorry for the large size on the SS, didn't know how to make it just a link (i.e. not displayed in the post).

Brife71 06-05-2007 06:53 PM

well he punched the wall.... not his wife...I think it's safe to say most people have gotten in arguments with our significant others and been mad enough to punch a wall. I have no problem with this...now had it said he hurt himself punching his wife then it would be a totally different matter IMO

Markmeister 06-05-2007 07:11 PM

I don't have a problem with this, but it may need to be cleaned up just a bit though.

Replace 'in a fight' with 'during an argument'.

I don't remember any players who broke their hands at home, though. There have been a few that broke hands punching the clubhouse walls.

Felix is our king! 06-05-2007 07:14 PM

Off-field incidents I've seen:
Mauled by a tiger = funny
Punching wall in fight w/ wife = not funny within 12 months of both the Brett Myers incident and the Elijah Dukes incident

I understand he didn't punch the wife, but even if the exchange between the player and his wife was purely verbal, but when he punches the wall the nature of the exchange now has a physical element. It's scary to be involved in something like that. The implication is that the fight could turn physical, and in the context of husband and wife, this means domestic violence.

Couldn't we just have something nice like "Caught a cold rescuing drowning children from river"?

Arlie Latham 06-05-2007 07:47 PM

http://www.baseballlibrary.com/baseb...rgen_Marty.stm

StyxNCa 06-05-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brife71 (Post 2219991)
well he punched the wall.... not his wife...I think it's safe to say most people have gotten in arguments with our significant others and been mad enough to punch a wall. I have no problem with this...now had it said he hurt himself punching his wife then it would be a totally different matter IMO

Really! It's better to hurt your hand hitting something you might get through to. No point wasting it on the wife.

Matter2003 06-05-2007 10:01 PM

If it happens IRL then I am not seeing what the problem is with it...

its not like it said he went on a chainsaw murdering spree or something...

little sensitive?

Smetana 06-06-2007 09:17 AM

Not sure what the problem is. I've never laid a hand on a woman. But I've been mad enough to, and have put holes in walls to vent my frustrations.

A little overreaction by the OP, I'd say. :)

treedom 06-06-2007 09:21 AM

Florida shortstop Jerry Gil has an undisclosed injury, which he suffered while punching a wall as a result of an internet argument about dometic violence in baseball simulators.

Comedian2004 06-06-2007 09:47 AM

You can always edit the injury file to remove anything you think is not political correct. The team did work hard in trying not to insult anyone, but at the same time, trying to make it real.

You will also notice it is time real, so, no one will get hurt playing with a Ninentendo in 1920.

canadiancreed 06-06-2007 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by treedom (Post 2220450)
Florida shortstop Jerry Gil has an undisclosed injury, which he suffered while punching a wall as a result of an internet argument about dometic violence in baseball simulators.

But how long is he going to be out?!

PSUColonel 06-06-2007 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Felix is our king! (Post 2219982)
Is this someone's idea of a cruel joke? I just had this off-field injury occur:

"Florida shortstop Jerry Gil has an undisclosed injury, which he suffered while punching a wall in a fight with his wife."

In light of the Myers and Dukes incidents, can we at least make sure this never shows up in another news story? I can't believe this was in there in the first place.

Sorry for the large size on the SS, didn't know how to make it just a link (i.e. not displayed in the post).

Lighten up Francis.

Arlie Latham 06-06-2007 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 2220515)
Lighten up Francis.

Nobody, and I mean nobody, calls him Francis.

andjbock 06-24-2007 09:04 PM

Leave it in. It's realistic.

darkcloud4579 06-25-2007 10:43 AM

The game is so cool this year, that it allows you to edit stuff you don't like. Feel free to do that, me thinks. It's not unrealistic.

Powderguy 06-25-2007 12:48 PM

I see nothing wrong with this injury.

PSUColonel 06-25-2007 05:26 PM

anyone ever heard of Brett Myers?

Underlined.i 06-25-2007 05:42 PM

The game has no affiliation with MLB so I see no problem with spousal abuse or anything similar. It's a game..a fantasy game at that.