OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Astros using technology to steal signs (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=308252)

pilight 11-12-2019 06:34 PM

Astros using technology to steal signs

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/...?sf223521597=1

Quote:

The Houston Astros used a center-field camera to help steal signs during their 2017 championship season, a former Astros pitcher told The Athletic, a practice that would have run afoul of rules against using technology for an advantage and has prompted an investigation.

pgjocki 11-12-2019 07:01 PM

I hope MLB vacates their championship

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Izz 11-12-2019 07:11 PM

Rescind the ring!

Westheim 11-12-2019 07:13 PM

...and give it to the damn Dodgers? I'd rather allow them all to juice again!

Buster Cherry 11-12-2019 07:26 PM

Leo Durocher did it when he managed the Giants. Of course, it wasn't outlawed until 1962 (?)

dkgo 11-12-2019 08:14 PM

This is surprising to absolutely no one

campinginalaska 11-12-2019 08:51 PM

We still got our ring tho

Déjà Bru 11-14-2019 10:25 AM

Clarification in my mind about stealing signs and tipping one's pitches:

Intently watching the process from the dugout, from the coaching boxes, even from the bullpen, using human eyes and ears only - acceptable.

The introduction of any artificial device (i.e., camera) or irregular vantage point (stands, nearby building, drone, etc.) in order to do so - unacceptable.

CBeisbol 11-14-2019 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Bru (Post 4560208)
Clarification in my mind about stealing signs and tipping one's pitches:

Intently watching the process from the dugout, from the coaching boxes, even from the bullpen, using human eyes and ears only - acceptable.

The introduction of any artificial device (i.e., camera) or irregular vantage point (stands, nearby building, drone, etc.) in order to do so - unacceptable.

Sounds good to me

Cobra Mgr 11-14-2019 10:32 AM

I laugh when the Astros say they are "investigating" it. Like, you don't know if you have a camera aimed at home plate hooked up to a monitor in the dugout?

As I've said before up here, you're tolerance for violations is measured by your willingness to police & punish it. If you can't deliver the severest penalty possible, then this is much ado about nothing.

Déjà Bru 11-14-2019 10:34 AM

Here's a question for you, though:

How do you feel about Mike Fiers "ratting" on his former team and organization?

Don't let my use of the word in quotes influence your opinion; I just couldn't think of any one better.

low 11-14-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Bru (Post 4560213)

Don't let my use of the word in quotes influence your opinion; I just couldn't think of any one better.

Fiers is a hypocrite. If he wants baseball cleaned up then he should take the initiative and return his ring. If not, then he needs to sit down and shut up.

CBeisbol 11-14-2019 10:48 AM

Quote:

Good for Fiers. Perhaps he should have done it anonymously, like as a whistleblower. Teams could certainly avoid him now.

pilight 11-14-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBeisbol (Post 4560223)
Good for Fiers. Perhaps he should have done it anonymously, like as a whistleblower. Teams could certainly avoid him now.

Only teams that are cheating need to avoid him.

Cobra Mgr 11-14-2019 11:01 AM

Quote:

Depends on the motivation. Is he seeking revenge despite having benefited from the tactic? Is he just babbling because he no longer feels beholden to the Astros? Or is he remorseful about what happened and wants a change in how Houston and,by extension, MLB tolerates this practice.

We have a society that makes whistleblowing or snitching seem like it is morally corrupt. Speaking up is not wrong, the reason for doing it are potentially questionable.

CBeisbol 11-14-2019 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pilight (Post 4560228)
Only teams that are cheating need to avoid him.

I think it's unlikely that the Astros are the only team "cheating".

And I'm sure more than a few teams and players think that loyalty to team superceeds stuff like this.

Fiers is now "controversial" and some teams will avoid him.

MLB should, especially after the steroid era, have a whistle blower system in place.

CBeisbol 11-14-2019 11:24 AM

What did Fiers do exactly? How did the story become public?

All I can find is that Fiers told teammates.

Then Fiers and anonymous whistleblowers were interviewed by The Athletic.

Might be that Fiers really didn't intend to "rat out" the Astros.

Rizon 11-14-2019 11:37 AM

I miss being a kid when sports appeared more innocent to me.

monkeyman576 11-14-2019 11:47 AM

Yeah because having one team to have a payroll of three times other teams just because they are in a big city is really fair.

Buster Cherry 11-14-2019 04:50 PM

Mike Fiers might go down as the Gary Sprake of his sport.