OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3640)
-   -   1901 Historical Quickstart leaderboards as of Jan 1950 (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=121327)

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 01:44 PM

1901 Historical Quickstart leaderboards as of Jan 1950

I let it sim overnight and the first thing I checked was the HR leaderboard. Thought number one was "Hey, things look pretty good." Thought number two immediately was aging needs some work. Lou Gehrig is 46 and coming off a 14 homer season as he hangs around to try and catch the Babe.

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 01:47 PM

Aside from Ruth getting a little carried away for a couple of seasons the single season HR leaders look good as well. Nice to see Joe Hauser, by all accounts a great power hitting prospect who suffered a couple of bad knee injuries early in his career with the A's and was doomed to a life in the minors, make the list.

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 01:54 PM

With career hits you can really see that guys are playing too long. Plus some surprising names on this board. Carson Bigbee? He had some decent seasons in real life but illness and poor vision derailed his major league career. I guess they make better contact lenses in this universe.

If you are wondering about Cobb. He would have surely made the list had he not suffered a CEI in 1915. He was already over 1900 hits at that point.

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 01:57 PM

In this replay Smokey Joe Wood never gave up pitching and moved to the outfield. Good thing too as he was dominant. However, a 31 year old flamethrower by the name of Feller is rapidly climbing the charts and could surpass Wood.

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 02:01 PM

Might as well post the team all-time standings as well since players are being assigned to their original club. Keeping Ruth (who I changed to an OF in 1917) sure made things a lot better for the Boston Red Sox franchise as they and the Yankees won 23 World Series between them. On the flip side it is the same old story in Chicago for both the White Sox and the Cubs.

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 02:07 PM

Finally, no recap is ever complete without a look at my hero - Cliff Markle.

Never got much of a chance with the Yankees but he did finish 7th alltime in career minor league victories.

As you can see I did not pay much attention to minor league settings - look at Markle's strikeout totals.

Qrusher14242 06-03-2006 02:54 PM

Any big injuries? What setting did you put it on?

Tiger Fan 06-03-2006 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Qrusher14242
Any big injuries? What setting did you put it on?

I will check when I get a chance later. First one off the top of my head was Cobb. I used low for injury setting and also position player tiring.

OakDragon 06-03-2006 03:43 PM

That'll lead to longer careers, won't it?

Wombat42 06-03-2006 03:49 PM

It's fun to compare how my sim has gone with yours.

Smokey Joe got injured in his first pro season, ending his career before it ever started.

Walter Johnson and Red Ruffing both have won 400+ games (with Johnson losing almost as many).

All-time hits leader is Mel Ott with 4052, just ahead of Lou Gehrig at 4048.

Most homeruns in a season was Ruth with 66.

All-time homerun leader is Gehrig at 695, ahead of Ruth with 680 and Ott wit 634.

As I mentioned in another thread, Cobb's career ended with 908 hits.

Good times all around, I like the updates you've given.

redmarkYankees 06-04-2006 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tiger Fan
With career hits you can really see that guys are playing too long. Plus some surprising names on this board. Carson Bigbee? He had some decent seasons in real life but illness and poor vision derailed his major league career. I guess they make better contact lenses in this universe.

If you are wondering about Cobb. He would have surely made the list had he not suffered a CEI in 1915. He was already over 1900 hits at that point.

Cobb had a CEI in 1915 in mine too. Maybe it's hardcoded ;).

I've found that a lot of players who appear to be playing 'too long' are doing so because their hitting ratings aren't declining - but their fielding ratings are. Consequently, at the end of 1937 Ruth hasn't been a starter in 4 years, but is hanging around getting pinch hits. Even the season before that, his ABs dropped markedly, presumably as he was being subbed on defense. However, his hitting ratings didn't start to decline noticeably until 1935/36, and even in 1938 are still decent (greens/yellows). Looks like the ageing curve is now a little more focused on 'creating DHs', which is realistic enough, but HOF-level players in a non-DH era/league should have the dignity to retire, or at least move to 1B.

Cooleyvol 06-05-2006 06:09 PM

TF,
Its odd that the A's were not near as dominant early on in your sim. They were in mine. Jackson and the crew tore up the AL for SEVERAL seasons.

St Louis, during the 20s/30s won 10 straight NL titles and 6 WS wins once Hornsby turned it on.

I'm curious, did you move Ruth to the Yanks?

Can you tell me why Gehrig imported to Brooklyn in my sim? I don't see a trade listed.

billethius 06-05-2006 06:45 PM

In my sim (through 1954), Ruth played for Boston for several years and only made the Series once (1920) before being traded to the Cubs and winning 3 straight. After that he was traded back to Boston and won a title there as well.

Between 1918 and 1930, the Cardinals won 11 of 13 pennants and 7 titles, including 5 in a row and 7 of 8 between 1920 and 1927.

From 1941 to 1946, the Red Sox and Yankees alternated years winning the World Series.

The Cardinals have won 24 NL titles, the Yankees have 19 in the AL, and no other team has more than 9 with the Reds, White Sox, and Brewers (were the Boston Braves) never winning.

Chick Hafney turned 51 just before the 1954 season, sitting at 3999 hits. He got 17 hits this past year and I'd have to imagine he'll retire now as he was pretty ineffective overall. In total there are 6 guys with more than 4000 hits - with Gehrig leading the way at 4463.

There are 5 guys with > 500 homeruns (though DiMaggio will make it 6 this coming season), with Ruth leading the way at 879 - more than 200 ahead of second place.

There are 6 guys with > 300 wins, with Joe Wood leading the way at 426. The next closest is Dizzy Dean at 364.

I've noticed a lot of guys having really long careers (20+ seasons). I think this is likely the result of me accidently leaving injuries set at 'very low' for my overnight sim that took me through 1950. I'll probably start over here in a few days, but for now, looking through the history is pretty fun. I should have done this historical stuff in past versions. I was really missing out.

fauteuil7 06-05-2006 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redmarkYankees
I've found that a lot of players who appear to be playing 'too long' are doing so because their hitting ratings aren't declining - but their fielding ratings are. Consequently, at the end of 1937 Ruth hasn't been a starter in 4 years, but is hanging around getting pinch hits. Even the season before that, his ABs dropped markedly, presumably as he was being subbed on defense. However, his hitting ratings didn't start to decline noticeably until 1935/36, and even in 1938 are still decent (greens/yellows). Looks like the ageing curve is now a little more focused on 'creating DHs', which is realistic enough, but HOF-level players in a non-DH era/league should have the dignity to retire, or at least move to 1B.

This is very interesting. I'm by no means an expert OOTP tinkerer, but it seems that if you set injuries to "Low" and then change the batter aging speed to some magic number everything should work out fine. Does anyone with more experience in this have a suggestion of what this might be or what a good place to start would be?