OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Thanks to OOTP - French Baseball (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=301604)

jcmurr 04-04-2019 10:12 AM

Thanks to OOTP - French Baseball

2 Attachment(s)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a shoutout to the devs for including French baseball in the game now. I currently play for Stade Toulousain and the French nat'l team and a lot of the guys I play with are thrilled about bringing not only French, but European baseball leagues into the game. It's really cool.

I'm a longtime fan and player of OOTP games, and have even managed to get 3 guys to purchase the game. There are some issues with the rosters (ex: I play for PUC in the game even though I broke my contract with the club last April), but that's not the biggest deal if you customize leagues anyways.

If anything is ever updated, you can use the official rosters and stats found here on the official website. Or, if you need more in-depth help you can always reach out to me. I'd be more than happy to help.

Anyways, thanks again for bringing us to OOTP!

If anyone has any questions about French baseball, or European baseball in general, don't hesitate ;)

joefromchicago 04-04-2019 04:17 PM

Looks like OOTP has made a similar impression with players in the Czech league.

nutt 04-04-2019 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmurr (Post 4467791)
Hi guys,

Just wanted to give a shoutout to the devs for including French baseball in the game now. I currently play for Stade Toulousain and the French nat'l team and a lot of the guys I play with are thrilled about bringing not only French, but European baseball leagues into the game. It's really cool.

I'm a longtime fan and player of OOTP games, and have even managed to get 3 guys to purchase the game. There are some issues with the rosters (ex: I play for PUC in the game even though I broke my contract with the club last April), but that's not the biggest deal if you customize leagues anyways.

If anything is ever updated, you can use the official rosters and stats found here on the official website. Or, if you need more in-depth help you can always reach out to me. I'd be more than happy to help.

Anyways, thanks again for bringing us to OOTP!

If anyone has any questions about French baseball, or European baseball in general, don't hesitate ;)

In the most recent update, the rosters for the new leagues had yet to be updated. As you may know, FD1 is slacking on posting the rosters and team sites lack full roster info at times. I rely on the stats link as you provided mostly, which I waited until the first weekend of play to begin updating. Unfortunately (well, fortunate for me because I had the time to update them the last couple of nights), FFBS didn't post stats until after this weekend, once all 12 teams had played. The next patch/update should have updated rosters for all four new leagues.

Feel free to shoot me a PM and let me know anything I may be missing. I will also have a few questions (also to make sure you moved from PUC to the Toulouse, which I think I moved two players from there).

84Hammy 04-04-2019 06:51 PM

So awesome! When I was in the Netherlands a couple years ago we saw a baseball diamond and I got so excited!! I am going to Portugal this summer and would like to actually hunt a field out.

TomVeal 04-04-2019 07:18 PM

Perhaps someday, when baseball has replaced metric football as Europe's favorite sport, historians will give OOTP a share of the credit.

jimmysthebestcop 04-05-2019 12:41 AM

What's your name? I will buy you out from France and put you in my Rookie system come on down to the MilB.

nutt 04-05-2019 03:09 AM

So I woke up and figured I should look at the Tigers and see who I moved over the other day.

If there are guys on PUC or Toulouse that are no longer there (excluding guys who might be playing for reserve teams in the 2nd or 3rd division) feel free to give me a shout.

I should've known who it was by the username. The new build came out on the 2nd. I made all of the updates on the 3rd. The next update should have you on Toulouse.

Also... good work in your first two outings on the hill so far.

Tyke 04-10-2019 06:10 AM

How much of the structure of the FFBS is included in OOTPXX? Just D1, or D2 also?

jcmurr 04-10-2019 07:22 AM

Just D1

Tyke 04-10-2019 08:58 AM

Thanks, jcmurr, just deciding whether to try and set something up now or to wait until I get OOTPXX next month.

Matt Arnold 04-10-2019 11:11 AM

Merci pour votre support!

Tyke 04-11-2019 11:15 AM

jcmurr, you may be able to help me! As well as being an OOTP fan, I used to teach French before I retired. As a result of your initial post, I started looking at the FFBS site, with a view to setting up a dynasty in OOTP19, and I came across the name of Dunkerque Korvers, who play in D2. Their logo seems to be a sea-bird of some kind, but I can't find "korver" or "korvers" in any of my dictionaries [and it doesn't look like a French word to me]. Have you any idea what it means?

eriqjaffe 04-11-2019 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84Hammy (Post 4468134)
So awesome! When I was in the Netherlands a couple years ago we saw a baseball diamond and I got so excited!! I am going to Portugal this summer and would like to actually hunt a field out.

There aren't many, at least not ones that are full-time baseball fields.

But there's at least one!

https://www.google.com/maps/place/39...8.215494?hl=en

jcmurr 04-11-2019 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyke (Post 4472054)
jcmurr, you may be able to help me! As well as being an OOTP fan, I used to teach French before I retired. As a result of your initial post, I started looking at the FFBS site, with a view to setting up a dynasty in OOTP19, and I came across the name of Dunkerque Korvers, who play in D2. Their logo seems to be a sea-bird of some kind, but I can't find "korver" or "korvers" in any of my dictionaries [and it doesn't look like a French word to me]. Have you any idea what it means?

It痴 not a French word, I知 100% certain. Dunkerque is near Flanders though so it may be slang for a Flemish or Dutch word.

BirdWatcher 04-11-2019 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmurr (Post 4472277)
It痴 not a French word, I知 100% certain. Dunkerque is near Flanders though so it may be slang for a Flemish or Dutch word.

Korver is, at least, certainly a Dutch surname.
There is a company in 's Hertogenbosch called Korver Holland. (Installation materials for heating, gas, plumbing, and PVC parts.)

Perhaps the founders of the team are big fans of Dutch-American basketball player Kyle Korver and the bird is a loose reference to the logo of his former team, the Atlanta Hawks? ;)

Yarideki 04-11-2019 06:05 PM

Judging by the city's location and a brief wikipedia dictionary search on the french word corvette, I'm assuming that it's related to sailing possibly a regional term for a sailor.

NoOne 04-11-2019 06:15 PM

does one team immediately surrender? :p

jokerhusky1129 04-11-2019 06:31 PM

It's crazy how OOTP can touch so many people. Once, a co-workers nephew was playing on a team and he was in OOTP. She was shocked!

Tyke 04-12-2019 03:20 AM

Thanks for the responses, guys - I'm leaning towards the Kyle Korver explanation at the moment! I may try and contact the club to get the official line, in which case I'll report back.

jcmurr 04-12-2019 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyke (Post 4472568)
Thanks for the responses, guys - I'm leaning towards the Kyle Korver explanation at the moment! I may try and contact the club to get the official line, in which case I'll report back.

I値l ask around. I volunteer at the sports academy where the junior nat値 trains year-round. I think one of the younger guys grew up with the Dunkerque club before coming to Toulouse for studies.

I知 interested now too :confused:

Lukas Berger 04-12-2019 04:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmurr (Post 4472571)
I値l ask around. I volunteer at the sports academy where the junior nat値 trains year-round. I think one of the younger guys grew up with the Dunkerque club before coming to Toulouse for studies.

I知 interested now too :confused:

Hey!

Would you by any chance have or be able to get access to the current rosters for all the teams in the league (preferably the official ones with dobs, etc)? The FFS site only has like three or four teams up, including Toulouse, but the rest come back as 'file not found'.

If you do have them, would you send me copies, so we can update things where needed in-game?

Otherwise it's no big deal, hopefully they'll be up soon or else I can send an email to the FFS and ask, or else just head down to Nice Cavigal and see if they have them once I'm back in Nice.

Thanks!

jcmurr 04-12-2019 04:17 AM

Of course, the links on the FFBS stats sites are broken but the rosters do exist online. I’ll try to find them.

Lukas Berger 04-12-2019 04:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcmurr (Post 4472573)
Of course, the links on the FFBS stats sites are broken but the rosters do exist online. I値l try to find them.

Cool, thanks. If you can find them easily great, but no need to spend too much time on it, I'll track them down one way or another.

Just saw you'd posted and thought it might be a time saver for me if you had them:)

Tyke 04-12-2019 09:21 AM

OK guys, I got in touch with Olivier Ravaiau, one of the contacts listed on the Dunkerque Korvers website, who informed me he wasn't surprised we hadn't been able to find the word, because it was a local dialect word from the 18th/19th century, signifying a person who salts fish! He points out that, in addition to being a historically important stronghold, Dunkerque was also a very active fishing port. So now we know!!
[BTW, he was very happy to provide the information, was really pleased to know that OOTPXX features the French competition - though not Division 2 - but he was a lot less happy about the Korvers start to the season!]

BirdWatcher 04-12-2019 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyke (Post 4472568)

I love it, given that I was really just making a joke there.
But if it is true, well, even better. :D

(Ah, I see that I didn't read far enough and that there was a more logical explanation. Oh, well, Kyle's fame maybe doesn't spread quite as far as I thought it might.)

nutt 04-16-2019 03:51 PM

jcmurr, in the newest update you are now on Toulouse. I checked last night. (Was on 20.2.33 but should be the same on 20.2.34)

clamel 04-16-2019 04:49 PM

It's fun to see more countries from Europe even if the standard is lacking. The spirit is there in so many places. Wish you expand even further.
Take a look at a photo from early days in Sweden, 1904

https://iof1.idrottonline.se/globala...er/heden13.jpg

That league has been going for 100 years.

nutt 04-16-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clamel (Post 4475249)
It's fun to see more countries from Europe even if the standard is lacking. The spirit is there in so many places. Wish you expand even further.
Take a look at a photo from early days in Sweden, 1904

https://iof1.idrottonline.se/globala...er/heden13.jpg

That league has been going for 100 years.

What I have discovered in doing research within the last year on the European leagues outside of Holland and Italy is the depth and news is few and far between. Germany, France, Czech Republic, and Spain have all of the information and statistical history to find dating back a few years (Germany from 1994, France sometime in the 90s, Czech dates back to the league inception in 1995, Spain back to 2010), where as some of the countries I'd like to do a deep dive into (Belgium, Austria, and yes Sweden) don't have as much or so I'm not looking hard enough to me. I can get the Belgian and Austrian statsheets with no problem, Sweden is hit-and-miss. It's the rosters that are the most difficult. Compiling the info for the players (DOB, Height, Weight, handedness---BIG ONE, and position) and active/inactive is the big thing there.

Marcelo67 04-16-2019 09:23 PM

:D It's great to see Baseball being played in different parts of the world. We have a semi-pro league in my Argentina where soccer is king.

nutt 04-17-2019 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcelo67 (Post 4475404)
:D It's great to see Baseball being played in different parts of the world. We have a semi-pro league in my Argentina where soccer is king.

If you look in the logos sub-thread on here, I do believe that the Argentine League artwork is available.

andyhdz 04-17-2019 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 4472297)
does one team immediately surrender? :p

now now..be nice. he didn't say do American teams right away gorge on greasy fast food?

Marcelo67 04-18-2019 07:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutt (Post 4475699)
If you look in the logos sub-thread on here, I do believe that the Argentine League artwork is available.

Thank you for the info:thumbup1:

PSUColonel 11-08-2019 02:09 PM

do a lot of the European leagues actually have 2 man pitching rotations? (as it is in OOTP)

actionjackson 11-08-2019 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 84hammy (Post 4468134)
so awesome! When i was in the netherlands a couple years ago we saw a baseball diamond and i got so excited!! I am going to portugal this summer and would like to actually hunt a field out.

Honkbal!!!

TomVeal 11-09-2019 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 4557775)
do a lot of the European leagues actually have 2 man pitching rotations? (as it is in OOTP)

The French league seems to play only on weekends, with no doubleheaders. Only two starters are needed. OOTP overcorrects, however. On the league's "Stats and AI" tab, Pitcher Stamina is "high". I doubt that French pitchers have stronger arms than anybody else; they just pitch less often.

stevem810 11-13-2019 06:07 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My replay in Fictional Simulations is based on the French speaking countries of France, Martinique, and Eastern Canada. I visit the island of Martinique most February's and am quite fond of the french influence/culture that is on the island. So, I decided to create my own league that features a young player from Martinique, Julien Henri. Presently he plays for the Paris Artists in the year 1971. His career started on Martinique in Single A Ball and he worked his way up to be a star for Le Diamant, a coastal resort city on the island.

I'll stay with it at least until Julien retires.