OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - New to the Game? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3863)
-   -   Hi..just bought the game yesterday (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=237929)

Joebatters 10-31-2013 07:56 PM

Hi..just bought the game yesterday

I was hoping there would be a game out there like this. I'm 57,
grew up on APBA. Played that a lot, a little strat. And then when
computer games came out, played a lot of DMB. Knew that
something better was probably out there and I think I found it
in OOTP. One problem though, I don't know how to play. Before
I bought the game, I visited the community. I remember seeing
some videos for beginners, but now I don't remember where
I saw those links. Can someone please help? I can't believe all
the things OOTP can do. Hope this is fun as I miss baseball
already. Thanks in advance. .seems like s good group here.

Bluenoser 10-31-2013 08:11 PM

Here you go - Out of the Park Baseball

Scroll down for the videos.

Ask questions here - this forum is full of knowledgeable/helpful people.

Joebatters 10-31-2013 09:00 PM

Thank you, Bluenoser. Appreciate it.

Joebatters 10-31-2013 09:12 PM

Man, this game is crazy! Never seen anything like this. Now, to figure it out.

GeorgiaBowties 11-05-2013 09:59 AM

Agreed

I had the same feeling when I first started. I just tried to digest it in small parts. OOTP is amazing when you get past the initial feeling of being overwhelmed.

Déjà Bru 11-05-2013 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joebatters (Post 3595315)
Man, this game is crazy! Never seen anything like this. Now, to figure it out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by GeorgiaBowties (Post 3597226)
I had the same feeling when I first started. I just tried to digest it in small parts. OOTP is amazing when you get past the initial feeling of being overwhelmed.

And, you WILL get past that initial feeling if you love baseball simulation and have loved it since APBA days. The good thing is, this game can be played on various levels of increasing involvement and expertise. Post questions in this forum. Keep at it, good luck, and enjoy.

Ike348 11-05-2013 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Bru (Post 3597254)
And, you WILL get past that initial feeling if you love baseball simulation and have loved it since APBA days. The good thing is, this game can be played on various levels of increasing involvement and expertise. Post questions in this forum. Keep at it, good luck, and enjoy.

APBA? C'mon. Strat is where it's at.

Peregrine 11-05-2013 12:41 PM

Also here is the link for the manual if you don't have it - handy to look up specific features.

Out of the Park Baseball Manual

yazfan67 11-08-2013 03:49 PM

Take your time

I have been playing since ootp9 and am still learning how it works. I am unable to totally immerse myself into the game as much as I would like so my advice would be to take your time. Build a league or use the quick start, keep a league small so you can really see what is availbale. Just enjoy this game because it is really the best one out there!

Curve Ball Dave 11-08-2013 07:41 PM

Start with a very small league to get the hang of it and learn in the ins and outs. Take the time to learn the basics with a test team and league and once you get the feel for it start the fantasy league you always wanted.

RchW 11-08-2013 08:33 PM

Dive in head first and don't worry about screw ups. The beauty of OOTP is the fact that you can start all over again.:)

The game looks intimidating but there are repetitive screens that you will see all the time. Your biggest challenge is to understand the shorthand that connects rating to scouting reports

One hint. Avoid star ratings and use the 20-80 scale.

Joebatters 11-10-2013 09:40 PM

Thank you everyone. I appreciate the comments and suggestions. It's all about fun imo. Of course, realism and statistical accuracy are important, but OOTP puts some fun into it. I'm really amazed by this game. Love the historical seasons. Again, appreciate the support. It's awesome being able to sit in on a Sunday night in November thinking about baseball and learning OOTP.

Joebatters 11-10-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike348 (Post 3597258)

Haha..I always got a kick of how loyal fans of these games were/are. It was always one or the other, APBA or Strat. I could be wrong, but you hardly anyone say they played both equally.

Déjà Bru 11-10-2013 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Joebatters (Post 3599718)
Haha..I always got a kick of how loyal fans of these games were/are. It was always one or the other, APBA or Strat. I could be wrong, but you hardly anyone say they played both equally.

It used to be that way here years ago with OOTPB vs. Diamond Mind and OOTPB vs. Baseball Mogul, but I think OOTPB has prevailed in both cases.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joebatters (Post 3599716)
It's awesome being able to sit in on a Sunday night in November thinking about baseball and learning OOTP.

You said it. :)

[Your first forum thanks for that sentiment.]

Painmantle 11-10-2013 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ike348 (Post 3597258)

Sorry, Statis-Pro was the one!!!!:rolleyes:

Joebatters 11-15-2013 12:19 PM

[QUOTE=Déjà Bru;3599742]It used to be that way here years ago with OOTPB vs. Diamond Mind and OOTPB vs. Baseball Mogul, but I think OOTPB has prevailed in both cases.

That's interesting. I played DMB & Baseball Mogul (once)...not sure if we are
talking about the same game, I'm referring to the xbox game. Anyway, I thought
there had to be other games out there, somehow I just never heard about OOTP.