OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Trading Way Too Easy (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=237223)

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:01 PM

Trading Way Too Easy

I am noticing that when a player is listed on the trading block, it is considerably easier to trade for them, even on the most difficult setting. Specifically I am noticing how incredibly easy it is to fleece other teams for cash. This really needs to be fixed. I never tried negotiating this way before, and I discovered how dumb the AI really is. The trading system in OOTP should be revamped. I wish you had to just send offers without immediate feedback, I think it made negotiating a bit more difficult.

David Watts 10-08-2013 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3582960)
I am noticing that when a player is listed on the trading block, it is considerably easier to trade for them, even on the most difficult setting. Specifically I am noticing how incredibly easy it is to fleece other teams for cash. This really needs to be fixed. I never tried negotiating this way before, and I discovered how dumb the AI really is. The trading system in OOTP should be revamped. I wish you had to just send offers without immediate feedback, I think it made negotiating a bit more difficult.

If I remember right, Markus said he sold you a different version of the game than the rest of us. The one he sold you is considerably dumbed down.

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3582971)
If I remember right, Markus said he sold you a different version of the game than the rest of us. The one he sold you is considerably dumbed down.

um, OK...not exactly sure what you are trying to get at? :confused:

EDIT: The AI isn't always that dumb, but it seems it is when players are listed as being on the trading block.

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:49 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Here is what I mean:

Cinnamon J. Scudworth 10-08-2013 09:53 PM

Players on the trading block are ones that that the AI desperately wants to get rid of. They usually have terrible contracts. It makes sense that it would be easy to trade for them, and that cash would be influential.

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:53 PM

That is with difficulty at very hard and talent evaluation at 45/25/20/10

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:55 PM

Colby is only making 2 million a year and is in the final year of his contract...they are willing to also give me 5 million, and the players I offered are absolute scrubs.

EDIT: De Fratus might have a little potential, but that's it.

Cinnamon J. Scudworth 10-08-2013 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3582979)
Colby is only making 2 million a year and is in the final year of his contract...they are willing to also give me 5 million, and the players I offered are absolute scrubs.

I can't explain every individual case. I can just say that in my game (modern fictional league, default settings), the players I see on the trading block are usually ones that I would never want to trade for.

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 09:57 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is Lewis:

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 10:00 PM

The part that really has me concerned is why the AI would be willing to also give me $5 million in cash.

The Wolf 10-08-2013 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3582983)
The part that really has me concerned is why the AI would be willing to also give me $5 million in cash.

It likes you.

RchW 10-08-2013 10:11 PM

I just went through the trading deadline in my league and for the last two weeks of July I tried desperately to get a starter just to fill in for an injury. When that didn't work I tried to find a bat with some HR power. In each case the AI locked in to my key pitching prospects who are not quite ready yet. The AI was willing to take my best catching prospect but he has a Piazza bat and I just couldn't pull the trigger for what would have been a rental.

I think the trading AI is very good in this version.

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3582984)
It likes you.

lol You ain't kidding

PSUColonel 10-08-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3582988)
I just went through the trading deadline in my league and for the last two weeks of July I tried desperately to get a starter just to fill in for an injury. When that didn't work I tried to find a bat with some HR power. In each case the AI locket in to my key pitching prospects who are not quite ready yet. The AI was willing to take my best catching prospect but he has a Piazza bat and I just couldn't pull the trigger for what would have been a rental.

I think the trading AI is very good in this version.

Were these players on the block?

David Watts 10-08-2013 10:22 PM

Hasn't it been said over and over and over that the AI doesn't deal well when it comes to human GM's offering it multiple player deals? Are you seeing any AI controlled teams making the type of deal you displayed with other AI controlled teams?

MizzouRah 10-08-2013 10:27 PM

I don't understand that trade either.

I can see the AI wanted to get rid of a aging starter in his final year and they are in "rebuild" mode.. but that particular trade makes no sense for the AI team to me.

What does Justin De Fratus look like as far as ratings and potential.. it's obvious that's who the AI team wants.

3 for 1 deals are probably not the best idea to NOT fleece the AI.

RchW 10-08-2013 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3582994)
Were these players on the block?

No but I've already written several posts that players on the block should be easy to trade for. That is why they are on the block. The AI seems to have no differentiation between regular players, players on the block and players on waivers. Two of these three subsets should be exceedingly easy to trade for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 3581864)
My big beef with the AI is the complete evaluation vacuum that seems to exist in the various routes to a trade. Players on waivers or DFA should be easy to trade for. Players on the trading block should not be evaluated the same as your all star SS. Nothing is more annoying than to get the "you have no players" message for a player the AI has in AAA and on the trading block.:mad:

Also as indicated above the team initiating a trade should always be in an inferior position with respect to value. Currently AI offers rarely meet that requirement.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post3581864

These guys below thought trading was too difficult and Markus even offered to ease up a little.

http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...silliness.html

Fyrestorm3 10-09-2013 12:02 AM

So, which one of you wants to re-code the AI to evaluate trades the same way a human would?

Really? No takers?

PSUColonel 10-09-2013 12:52 AM

Obviously it's not an easy task, but why not point things like this out so that Markus is at least aware?

The Game 10-09-2013 01:13 AM

In my league one team had its 3 best players on the trading block. all 3 are in the final year of their deals making 1,8 mil, 350K, 350K. Also had 2 mid level SP on the block, they moved one of the SP. The team is 8 GB and seems to have given up on the season. 1.8 mil is high even for a guy hitting .343. (1985 finances) Not sure if this added anything to the pro or con side of the debate, just wanted to share.