OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Time to be a Nagative Nancy (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=229806)

Critical Mass 03-29-2013 08:36 PM

Time to be a Nagative Nancy

I haven't been on the forums in about a year, so I'll fill you in on what was going on a year ago:

- People were complaining that OOTP13 wasn't out by Opening Day
- People were complaining that Markus was spending too much time on iOOTP rather than OOTP13.
- Lots of griping about how people weren't going to buy OOTP13 (including myself) because lots of things weren't updated from OOTP12 or even OOTP11.

Here's what happened since then:

My friend got tired of me raving about how great a game it was, and purchased it himself. After he played himself into a coma, I asked if I could simulate my own season using his copy of OOTP13 and laptop. He said yes.

I started a brand new league from scratch, and simulated 20 seasons. I then took over the worst team (Cincinnati Reds) which had an Demanding owner who was a Mizer, and set the trading AI level to the hardest. I was impressed with the new graphics, but held my breath.

- After some wheeling and dealing, the first season I went over .500. The second season I played, I was over .700 and made the playoffs. The third season I won the championship. I made the playoffs 10 of out the next 10 seasons, finished first in the division each year, and won the championship 6 out of those 10.
- Coaches that were 64 years of age had 57 years of experience coaching.
- Guys with horrible ratings in Contact, Power, Eye, fielding, etc were hitting .310 with 40 HRs, 120+ RBIs.
- Clicking on "Batting Stats" still shows Pitchers. Clicking on "Pitching Stats" still shows batters.
- Sometimes a year went by with minor injuries. Other times, you'll lose 5 guys in one week. At one point, I had 13 people on my 40 man roster on my DL at once. That's a little extreme.
- The AI was still starting guys at a position even though they had a "4" rating at that position, despite the fact that there were better people available.
- Offers were made to Free Agents and/or Coaches who one day were at "Favors Offer" and the next day they signed with another team without notice, or a chance to increase my offer.
- And a new one I noticed: While I was waiting for a coach to accept or decline an offer, THE COMPUTER WENT AHEAD AND SIGNED A RANDOM COACH TO FILL THE SPOT WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT NOTICE! Now I have to fire the coach (and eat his 3 or 4 year contract) just to hire the one I want, assuming he's still available.
- After 30 years of baseball, there are over 1,500 people on the Free Agent List. It seems like either they're reproducing like jackrabbits, or else they're never retiring.
- Despite allocating the maximum amount of money to International scouting, my scout will go one or two seasons without "discovering" anybody, and then when he finally does, his Overall Assessment of the player is "The outlook is bleak". THERE ARE 1,500 PLAYERS AVAILABLE WHOSE OUTLOOK IS BLEAK! WHY AM I PAYING YOU TO GO OVERSEAS TO FIND MORE??? Why is he recommending I sign bums??
- Come to think of it, why will the scout draft someone in the 1st round whom he doesn't think will amount to much, but, yet, he thinks someone he drafted in the 4th round will be a stud? If he thinks the guy stinks, why did he draft him in the 1st round? I would think that if HE recommended them, that he at least THINKS they will ALL be decent! Why draft a guy and then tell me he stinks?
- And while we're on the topic of scouting, why is it that if your available funds drops too low, your scouting budget is dropped to the bare minimum without notice, and by the time you discover it, Spring Training has started and it's too late to change it?
- Why is it if you take a retired pitcher and turn him into a coach, he'll have a better rating at hitting than at pitching? And that isn't saying much, because his hitting rating is "OK"...

Most if not all of these things were brought up prior to last OOTP13 release. I'm sad to say that IMHO, the fears of a lot of people were realized last year: New graphics were added and it looked prettier, but simple things were overlooked, not corrected, and for the most part, OOTP13 was too much like OOTP12, and I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. With that being said, I will still not purchase OOTP14 for the same reason.

I really want to support the franchise, but in all honesty, you're not going to trade in your 2012 car for a 2013 that has all the same features if there's nothing wrong with the old one. I'm just going to have to keep playing OOTP12 (my first version) and wait until I see enough changes (or even fixing slight little bugs like mentioned above) to warrant shelling out the money.

Sorry... just my opinion.

silvam14 03-29-2013 08:40 PM

Don't be sorry. OOTP 12 is a great version. Have fun with it

Bluenoser 03-29-2013 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470607)
I haven't been on the forums in about a year, so I'll fill you in on what was going on a year ago:

- People were complaining that OOTP13 wasn't out by Opening Day
- People were complaining that Markus was spending too much time on iOOTP rather than OOTP13.
- Lots of griping about how people weren't going to buy OOTP13 (including myself) because lots of things weren't updated from OOTP12 or even OOTP11.

Here's what happened since then:

My friend got tired of me raving about how great a game it was, and purchased it himself. After he played himself into a coma, I asked if I could simulate my own season using his copy of OOTP13 and laptop. He said yes.

I started a brand new league from scratch, and simulated 20 seasons. I then took over the worst team (Cincinnati Reds) which had an Demanding owner who was a Mizer, and set the trading AI level to the hardest. I was impressed with the new graphics, but held my breath.

- After some wheeling and dealing, the first season I went over .500. The second season I played, I was over .700 and made the playoffs. The third season I won the championship. I made the playoffs 10 of out the next 10 seasons, finished first in the division each year, and won the championship 6 out of those 10.
- Coaches that were 64 years of age had 57 years of experience coaching.
- Guys with horrible ratings in Contact, Power, Eye, fielding, etc were hitting .310 with 40 HRs, 120+ RBIs.
- Clicking on "Batting Stats" still shows Pitchers. Clicking on "Pitching Stats" still shows batters.
- Sometimes a year went by with minor injuries. Other times, you'll lose 5 guys in one week. At one point, I had 13 people on my 40 man roster on my DL at once. That's a little extreme.
- The AI was still starting guys at a position even though they had a "4" rating at that position, despite the fact that there were better people available.
- Offers were made to Free Agents and/or Coaches who one day were at "Favors Offer" and the next day they signed with another team without notice, or a chance to increase my offer.
- And a new one I noticed: While I was waiting for a coach to accept or decline an offer, THE COMPUTER WENT AHEAD AND SIGNED A RANDOM COACH TO FILL THE SPOT WITHOUT MY KNOWLEDGE AND WITHOUT NOTICE! Now I have to fire the coach (and eat his 3 or 4 year contract) just to hire the one I want, assuming he's still available.
- After 30 years of baseball, there are over 1,500 people on the Free Agent List. It seems like either they're reproducing like jackrabbits, or else they're never retiring.
- Despite allocating the maximum amount of money to International scouting, my scout will go one or two seasons without "discovering" anybody, and then when he finally does, his Overall Assessment of the player is "The outlook is bleak". THERE ARE 1,500 PLAYERS AVAILABLE WHOSE OUTLOOK IS BLEAK! WHY AM I PAYING YOU TO GO OVERSEAS TO FIND MORE??? Why is he recommending I sign bums??
- Come to think of it, why will the scout draft someone in the 1st round whom he doesn't think will amount to much, but, yet, he thinks someone he drafted in the 4th round will be a stud? If he thinks the guy stinks, why did he draft him in the 1st round? I would think that if HE recommended them, that he at least THINKS they will ALL be decent! Why draft a guy and then tell me he stinks?
- And while we're on the topic of scouting, why is it that if your available funds drops too low, your scouting budget is dropped to the bare minimum without notice, and by the time you discover it, Spring Training has started and it's too late to change it?
- Why is it if you take a retired pitcher and turn him into a coach, he'll have a better rating at hitting than at pitching? And that isn't saying much, because his hitting rating is "OK"...

Most if not all of these things were brought up prior to last OOTP13 release. I'm sad to say that IMHO, the fears of a lot of people were realized last year: New graphics were added and it looked prettier, but simple things were overlooked, not corrected, and for the most part, OOTP13 was too much like OOTP12, and I'm glad I didn't spend my money on it. With that being said, I will still not purchase OOTP14 for the same reason.

I really want to support the franchise, but in all honesty, you're not going to trade in your 2012 car for a 2013 that has all the same features if there's nothing wrong with the old one. I'm just going to have to keep playing OOTP12 (my first version) and wait until I see enough changes (or even fixing slight little bugs like mentioned above) to warrant shelling out the money.

Sorry... just my opinion.

I'm not criticizing your complaints, however don't compare apples and oranges.

I budget $40 of entertainment money every year for OOTP.

I don't budget thousands of dollars every year to get a new car.

The comparison - they both probably only have a few new features and the current version will certainly suffice for several years.

The differences - a few thousand dollars, and, what I find acceptable for me to spend my money on each year.

YMMV

RchW 03-29-2013 09:03 PM

I find something, often several things each version that make the new version worth buying. Hang around the forum and read the posts after release and you might change your mind.

Lukas Berger 03-29-2013 09:10 PM

Many of your complaints are things that you can control and fix/modify yourself, by changing the settings.

That's one of the beauties of OOTP, how customizable it is.

If you find the game too easy, play stats only.

If there are too many free agents, set the draft to have less rounds and generate less players.

If you don't like how accurate or inaccurate the scouts are, change the scouting accuracy level.

If you don't want the cpu to hire coaches, change the settings so it can't/won't.

So don't blame the dev team because the initial settings don't work for you, then throw up your hands and say 'this game sucks, I'm outta here'. Change them until they do work for you. That's what most of us do.

And if you've actually looked at the feature list for OOTP14 and you don't think that there's been any major changes, I just don't know what to say. The int complex added, the entire fielding model has been overhauled, the pitching staff setup has been massively overhauled...

Peregrine 03-29-2013 09:12 PM

For me there are certain games I don't feel the need to buy every year (even Football Manager I usually skip a version or two.) However, I have been playing OOTP since version 10 and have never been unhappy with a decision to buy the next version, and I don't even play with the real player file. There's incremental improvement and honestly I feel good in supporting the ongoing development, even if there's nothing worldshattering each time out.

Tyler87898 03-29-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lukasberger (Post 3470627)
Many of your complaints are things that you can control and fix/modify yourself, by changing the settings.

If there are too many free agents, set the draft to have less rounds and generate less players.

If you don't like how accurate or inaccurate the scouts are, change the scouting accuracy level.

If you don't want the cpu to hire coaches, change the settings so it can't/won't.

So don't blame the dev team because the initial settings don't work for you, then throw up your hands and say 'this game sucks, I'm outta here'. Change them until they do work for you. That's what most of us do.

And if you've actually looked at the feature list for OOTP14 and you don't think that there's been any major changes, I just don't know what to say. The int complex added, the entire fielding model has been overhauled, the pitching staff setup has been massively overhauled...

Exactly what I was thinking. A lot of these complaints can be fixed with a change of settings.

tomwolf2008 03-29-2013 09:33 PM

Quote:

Pretty much sums up the response I'll have

and just a little more nitpick on OP's complain: Nobody complains about OOTP 13 is not out on opening day or Markus spent too much time on iOOTP or lots of things aren't updated from OOTP12. Those are complaints of OOTP12, NOT OOTP 13

RchW 03-29-2013 09:53 PM

I just noticed that the OP did not buy a copy of OOTP13. Is that not similar to complaining about a hotel room you didn't pay for?

I don't say you have no right to complain but you should support the franchise if you want to see improvements.

Critical Mass 03-29-2013 10:08 PM

Quote:

Already do that

Quote:

Granted, I can do that

Quote:

I'm not questioning the accuracy of the scouts. Let's say the scout finds a guy who in reality stinks, but my scout THINKS he'll be great and takes him in the first round. Whether he turns out to be wrong or not, he THINKS the kid will be great, which is why he drafted him in the first round, so why then tell me he will amount to nothing? If that was the case, why draft him??

[/QUOTE]If you don't want the cpu to hire coaches, change the settings so it can't/won't. [/QUOTE]
Never saw that setting. I did change the setting that the AI could promote/demote minor league players, but that's it.

Quote:

I never said the game sucks. I'm still addicted to v.12, even though there's very little challenge. I would just like to see some bugs fixed that have existed since OOTP11, if not earlier. It's like replacing the interior of your classic car, painting it, putting the original, stereo in it, shiny chrome, but yet the windshield has bird droppings that have been there for three months.

Critical Mass 03-29-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomwolf2008 (Post 3470646)
Pretty much sums up the response I'll have

and just a little more nitpick on OP's complain: Nobody complains about OOTP 13 is not out on opening day or Markus spent too much time on iOOTP or lots of things aren't updated from OOTP12. Those are complaints of OOTP12, NOT OOTP 13

Perhaps you're right. Could it be that long since I was last here? I really don't remember.

My purpose was not to rip Markus. Obviously, if I didn't care about the game, I never would have come on here to post that rant. I just would like to see some of the old bugs resolved before trudging into new territory year after year.

tomwolf2008 03-29-2013 10:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470661)
Perhaps you're right. Could it be that long since I was last here? I really don't remember.

My purpose was not to rip Markus. Obviously, if I didn't care about the game, I never would have come on here to post that rant. I just would like to see some of the old bugs resolved before trudging into new territory year after year.

Well, I mean OOTP 13 was out on April 6th, hardly late enough for any complaints, in fact it was probably one of the earliest time OOTP was released. (and thus the point of spending too much time on iOOTP is moot as well) And I would not call OOTP13 "not updated from OOTP11 or 12"

But as I said, just nitpicking, no hard feeling;)

Lukas Berger 03-29-2013 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470661)

I don't disagree with that. Some of the things you posted are a little annoying. But they're mostly pretty minor, almost cosmetic stuff. And I have my own pet peeves too, some of which have been going on for years.

I didn't buy OOTP12, since I didn't think it had enough new stuff.

Since then though, overall, the good far outweighs the bad to me, at least it has with OOTP 13 and 14. Both seemed like they had a lot of nice improvements. Especially 14. It's looking great.

Honorable_Pawn 03-30-2013 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470607)

I just wanted to comment on just this one issue.

Dude, it's forty bucks. That's $0.76 a week. I mean I could find $.076 a week in my couch.

Ten cents a day. I mean, I could ask a random person oncce a day for a dime. "Hey, you got a dime on ya?" As long as you don't look like a bum most people will smile and be, all like, sure thing.

Anyway, you're comparing a $30,000 car to a 40 dollar game. I get that you don't want to play the game until the things you want to see fixed are fixed. But to try and use the money factor as your closing argument weakens everything you said. Your closing argument should have been about the pitcher that becomes a coach that had a better coach rating at hitting than pitching.

Small things I know...But you should have led off with money thing (the weakest argument) and finished with your strongest point.

Critical Mass 03-30-2013 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Honorable_Pawn (Post 3470818)
I just wanted to comment on just this one issue.

Dude, it's forty bucks. That's $0.76 a week. I mean I could find $.076 a week in my couch.

Ten cents a day. I mean, I could ask a random person oncce a day for a dime. "Hey, you got a dime on ya?" As long as you don't look like a bum most people will smile and be, all like, sure thing.

Anyway, you're comparing a $30,000 car to a 40 dollar game. I get that you don't want to play the game until the things you want to see fixed are fixed. But to try and use the money factor as your closing argument weakens everything you said. Your closing argument should have been about the pitcher that becomes a coach that had a better coach rating at hitting than pitching.

Small things I know...But you should have led off with money thing (the weakest argument) and finished with your strongest point.

My point wasn't that I couldn't afford it. Admittedly, I'm cheap, yes. I hate spending money on myself, but I could certainly afford it.

I think my best explanation was about the classic car -- when you have a fully restored classic car that shines in the sunlight, it looks kinda silly when you have splotches of bird poop on the windsheild. Take a minute to clean off the bird poop before you worry about how shiny the chrome is! That's great that we have international prospects who demand high contracts, and full control over how many Mexican players there are, an International Complex! The same bird poop is still there, and THAT'S where my attention is drawn when I look at the car. Take five minutes to clean it off before you worry about the chrome.

Ok, I think I've made my point, so I won't make any more negative comments. If someone would like to make some suggestions how I can improve the game experience on my own on either v12 or v13 (like reducing the draft rounds mentioned above) I'd be happy to listen!

Craig Scarborough 03-30-2013 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470834)
My point wasn't that I couldn't afford it. Admittedly, I'm cheap, yes. I hate spending money on myself, but I could certainly afford it.

Ok, I think I've made my point, so I won't make any more negative comments. If someone would like to make some suggestions how I can improve the game experience on my own on either v12 or v13 (like reducing the draft rounds mentioned above) I'd be happy to listen!

Hey, we're all different - one person is cheap, another spends his money on foolhardy things, no big deal here.

I do have to take exception with the injury issue you have. Some years there are barely any injuries, others you lose 5 guys in a week. What are you hoping for here - injury consistency? It's a random world, man - your "complaint" is confirmation the system works as designed.

Honorable_Pawn 03-30-2013 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Critical Mass (Post 3470834)

I think my best explanation was about the classic car -- when you have a fully restored classic car that shines in the sunlight, it looks kinda silly when you have splotches of bird poop on the windsheild. Take a minute to clean off the bird poop before you worry about how shiny the chrome is! That's great that we have international prospects who demand high contracts, and full control over how many Mexican players there are, an International Complex! The same bird poop is still there, and THAT'S where my attention is drawn when I look at the car. Take five minutes to clean it off before you worry about the chrome.

I wasn't really making a comment on being cheap so much as I was in presentation. You make some valid points, I'm just saying don't cheapen your constructive criticisms with money and ultimatums.

nutt 03-30-2013 12:19 PM

I don't think he's being negative....sounds more like he's trying to stir up the pot and its not working out right.

But on a lighter side of things, he's a cheap guy! I'd hate to be a waiter if he sat at my table :)

Cras 03-30-2013 12:31 PM

I get that last point. When there seems to be a flaw in the core of the game but time is spent on new features like the international complex.

However....features like the international complex, international FAs, player creation origins and things like that are a hell of a lot easier to talk about in pre-release propaganda. It is awfully difficult to talk about changes to the game engine without boring people to death or ripping earlier versions. So to me when I see things like 'various engine/AI improvements' or whatever, that is where I know time is being spent on the good stuff. Like making sure AI silliness is further eliminated, or weirdness such as having a bunch of left handed bats in the league is eliminated, things like that.

The Game 03-30-2013 01:38 PM

Mass 90% of what you said are valid points. One thing i have been doing as of late is checking the box to delete any player who does not reach the majors. It cuts available FA's in half and you will also be able to sign more fringe players to AAA contracts. I signed a guy 2 days before opening day who 2 yrs ago at age 27 hit .251 24 HR 76 RBI in 120 g. He got injured at the tail end opf that season and didn't play at all last year. This year after 5 games at AAA he is at my ML level hitting .278 4 HR in 12 G.
To me I think 13 is harder to win at then 11 or 12. I have yet to pitch a no hitter or perfect game on 13 in 29 seasons. On 12 I had 17 in 32 seasons. ( various leagues 6 different pitchers) My current team has had 4 out of 5 seasons below .500 despite the fact I have 4 RL HOFers and 2 borderline RL HOFers and myself on steroids.

The coach thing is an issue hopefully is will be fixed for 14. The exp seems to double every year.
The players playing out of position is less common on 13 then 11/12 but it does happen. Detroit starting SS got injured so they put Ken Griffey Jr at SS. He completed 2 inning ending DP's.
13 is leaps and bounds better then 12.