OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3876)
-   -   Player unwilling to negotiate (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=267435)

MrWideFrame 06-06-2016 11:56 AM

Player unwilling to negotiate
 
I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?

jdw31158 06-06-2016 12:08 PM

Maybe go into commissioner mode? Should be able to force him to sign then, I would think.

Number4 06-06-2016 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWideFrame (Post 4046402)
I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?

He just does not want to sign for you lot. There could be baseball related reasons ("Your team sucks, I want a ring, see you!"), clubhouse related reasons ("My teammates here suck, no way I'm signing here", "For this manager? Never!") or things completly beyond your control ("Don't want to spend my life/have my children grow up in the dump that is (insert town name here)", "The climate in (insert town name here) sucks, I'd rather be somewhere else") and probably a lot of more reasons are possible.

Anyway, it seems that for whatever reason, this player wants to play somewhere else. Sounds like a feature, not a bug.
Fire a qualifying offer his way, let the door hit him on his ass, enjoy your free draft pick and sign someone else actually wanting to play for your ballclub instead.

Matt Arnold 06-06-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWideFrame (Post 4046402)
I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?

What do you mean by "unwilling to open negotiations for an extension"?

Otherwise, you can check in the editor to see if the results under "Player Agent" is listed as "Scott Boras". If so, you might be out of luck.

MrWideFrame 06-06-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4046408)
What do you mean by "unwilling to open negotiations for an extension"?

Otherwise, you can check in the editor to see if the results under "Player Agent" is listed as "Scott Boras". If so, you might be out of luck.

I've gotten this message in each of the last 3 seasons anytime I click offer extension:

"Sorry, but I will not negotiate with you any further. We seem to be too far apart."

BTW, this is OOTP 15.

ohiodevil 06-06-2016 12:29 PM

Sounds like he just does not want to play for your team any longer. There are players for whatever reason want to leave no matter what you offer.

You could trade him and try and get a haul of prospects back and hope that one or two of them develop into stars, or if you are in the playoff picture, hang onto him and hope you win the championship.

Or you could "cheat" and go into the editor and just add a contract extension for whatever you want.

byzeil 06-06-2016 12:46 PM

Maybe he just wants to get to free agency to get as much $$ as possible or as some have said above he doesn't want to play for your team for some reason. Not likely a bug, happens in real life and part of the process of running a baseball team.

You can let him play out the contract and try to sign him as a FA. You could try to trade him to get some return for him. Or you could 'cheat' and go into commissioner mode and sign him, it is your game after all and you can play how you want.

TomVeal 06-06-2016 01:17 PM

This is definitely a feature rather than a bug. Perhaps you will someday encounter the opposite frustrating reality: the declining veteran who is ready and willing to extend his contract and doesn't want a lot of money but who no longer performs well enough to justify even the pay he demands. The catch is that he is "extremely popular" locally, and the fans will react very badly to his departure. Would you rather lose attendance or lose a roster slot? I'm now facing that dilemma in one of my leagues.

MrWideFrame 06-06-2016 01:30 PM

I understand the concept of a player wanting to test FA this way in real life. I've never seen it in the game though.

The Wolf 06-06-2016 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWideFrame (Post 4046411)
I've gotten this message in each of the last 3 seasons anytime I click offer extension:

"Sorry, but I will not negotiate with you any further. We seem to be too far apart."

BTW, this is OOTP 15.

Then why on earth are you posting this in an OOTP 17 forum?

jholland57 06-06-2016 04:00 PM

I've had a couple of No. 1 starters refuse to negotiate with me (in 17) because they don't like my manager. I just let them go and got the compensatory draft picks.

Airdrop01 06-06-2016 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWideFrame (Post 4046402)
I have a player who is about to hit free agency after this season. For each of the last 3 seasons he has been unwilling to even open negotiations for an extension. He is my best player and I'm worried I'll be unable to re-sign him because he won't even let me make one offer. I've been saved by arbitration the last few years. This feels like a bug to me. Any way around this?


Face it. Detroit is a craphole.:p

MrWideFrame 06-06-2016 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airdrop01 (Post 4046516)
Face it. Detroit is a craphole.:p

Brooklyn Dodgers

StanfordBerkely 06-06-2016 06:20 PM

It'll happen for a few reasons. Check his morale. If it's really low ( :rant: ) then I'd trade the guy since you're not gonna be able to sign him.

If you tried negotiating with him before, and gave him a low-ball offer, you will get the "Sorry, but I will not negotiate any further with you" message. There is however a likelihood of the player re-opening negotiations with you once the season ends, possibly even before then. Again, that's assuming his morale isn't low.

Anyone 06-06-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrWideFrame (Post 4046411)
I've gotten this message in each of the last 3 seasons anytime I click offer extension:

"Sorry, but I will not negotiate with you any further. We seem to be too far apart."

This suggests a bug. Even if there are reasons it may make sense for him to refuse to negotiate, like simply not wanting to stay on your team (due to teammates, city, lack of success, manager, etc.), it should then say something like, "Sorry, but I am not interested in remaining on this team. I plan to test free agency." rather than "we seem to be too far apart" when no offer has been made.

Then again, you say it's OOTP 15, so whatever bug that is might well already be fixed in the current version.

MrWideFrame 06-06-2016 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StanfordBerkely (Post 4046545)
It'll happen for a few reasons. Check his morale. If it's really low ( :rant: ) then I'd trade the guy since you're not gonna be able to sign him.

If you tried negotiating with him before, and gave him a low-ball offer, you will get the "Sorry, but I will not negotiate any further with you" message. There is however a likelihood of the player re-opening negotiations with you once the season ends, possibly even before then. Again, that's assuming his morale isn't low.

His morale is and has been great. Like I said I haven't been able to talk to him in years. The last time I offered him was when he was pre-arb.

PSUColonel 06-06-2016 07:34 PM

This could be an issue if the player is not unhappy in any way.

Hammercraft 06-06-2016 07:38 PM

1. Trade him for a low number of high quality prospects
2. Trade to get him back with a high number of low quality prospects

BigRed75 06-06-2016 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomVeal (Post 4046434)
This is definitely a feature rather than a bug. Perhaps you will someday encounter the opposite frustrating reality: the declining veteran who is ready and willing to extend his contract and doesn't want a lot of money but who no longer performs well enough to justify even the pay he demands. The catch is that he is "extremely popular" locally, and the fans will react very badly to his departure. Would you rather lose attendance or lose a roster slot? I'm now facing that dilemma in one of my leagues.

Screw the fans. They'll come back eventually.

MrBojangles 06-06-2016 11:55 PM

I had similar experience - except that he would only renew one year at a time, each time increasing the $ he wanted.
This all changed quite suddenly after he had a 10-month injury. Then the only contract he would accept was 10-year and stupid high money. $39M per year kind of stupid high.
I took it as a feature - one I didn't like since he was a great player, but still a feature of the game.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:42 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2018 Out of the Park Developments