OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Field of Dreams coming to MLB (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305836)

Bluenoser 08-08-2019 02:28 PM

Field of Dreams coming to MLB

https://www.mlb.com/news/yankees-whi...-of-dream-site

This should be interesting. Can just imagine the ticket price with only 8,000 available.

Should be fun to watch.

Déjà Bru 08-08-2019 02:41 PM

Nice. One of my favorite movies of all time. Too bad it couldn't have been this year, the 30th anniversary of the release of Field of Dreams.

It had to be the White Sox, of course - and it's a home game for them - but echoing what Hal Steinbrenner said, it's an honor to have the Yankees participating.

Thanks for sharing this. I have marked the date in my calendar. My only worry is that MLB doesn't make a shambles of the site to accommodate the . . . walls? . . . seating, and parking.

Déjà Bru 08-08-2019 02:55 PM

Heh, that snippet of video with Aaron Judge playing the part of Shoeless Joe Jackson is great.

Jackson: "Hey, is this heaven?"

Kinsella: "No. It's Iowa."

Shoeless Joe/ Aaron nods and continues jogging toward the cornfield. Judge even looks a bit like Ray Liotta in that movie!

I do have one qualm with this, however. I really do hope that it's a "temporary" ballpark. I am skeptical if "The design of the ballpark in Dyersville, including the shape of the outfield and the bullpens beyond the center-field fence, will pay homage to Comiskey Park," that some part of this would not permanently alter the site.

Bluenoser 08-08-2019 03:39 PM

:ohmy: Just realized I should have worded the thread title the other way around - MLB coming to Field of Dreams :)

Déjà Bru 08-08-2019 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4524110)
:ohmy: Just realized I should have worded the thread title the other way around - MLB coming to Field of Dreams :)

Nah, you had it right. MLB is going to build it, so Field of Dreams will come to it. I don't suppose they could have just had the ballgame on the original field and in the original setting and have a lot less people and cameras there. Not as much money to be made and Fox would be furious.

joefromchicago 08-09-2019 11:52 AM

Not much of a change for the White Sox. They are used to playing in front of 8000 fans at a home game.

statfreak 08-12-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Bru (Post 4524127)
Nah, you had it right. MLB is going to build it, so Field of Dreams will come to it. I don't suppose they could have just had the ballgame on the original field and in the original setting and have a lot less people and cameras there. Not as much money to be made and Fox would be furious.

There are power lines that run directly over the original / current Field of Dreams. No idea if it would have been cheaper to move them or build the temporary stadium, but we are getting a temporary stadium.

Argonaut 08-15-2019 01:04 PM

Are they going to take this opportunity to lift the ban on Shoeless Joe and put him in the Hall?

Buster Cherry 08-15-2019 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argonaut (Post 4526456)
Are they going to take this opportunity to lift the ban on Shoeless Joe and put him in the Hall?

Yeah, him and Pete Rose too./

BaseballMan 08-17-2019 11:45 PM

Would be better if it was White Sox and Reds.

ForeverRoyalKC 08-20-2019 12:55 AM

I don't know construction, but how do you do an 8,000 seat "temporary" stadium?? Is the stadium like a manufactured home? Like a huge festival concert stage? :confused::p

Déjà Bru 08-21-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverRoyalKC (Post 4528081)
I don't know construction, but how do you do an 8,000 seat "temporary" stadium?? Is the stadium like a manufactured home? Like a huge festival concert stage? :confused::p

Probably a bunch of prefabs, I would guess. Hmmm. Better make sure they get them from a quality provider, eh? Wouldn't that be a black eye for MLB otherwise? :rolleyes: