OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   2019 NBA off season thread (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=304194)

darkhorse 06-30-2019 07:02 PM

Knicks fans know there is zero hope until Dolan sells or passes away.

TheMaus2 06-30-2019 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse (Post 4509581)
It's been a splendid offseason for New Orleans and it just keep getting better. They're also about to sign EuroLeague star Nicolò Melli to a two year deal. The Pelicans are going to whoop ass and take names next season.

They added Redick too— which means if all goes right they have the shooting that will keep them in playoff games. (If we ignore Redick's last season, that is?)

darkhorse 06-30-2019 08:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaus2 (Post 4509625)
They added Redick too— which means if all goes right they have the shooting that will keep them in playoff games. (If we ignore Redick's last season, that is?)

Redick shot 41.4% on 7.3 3-pt. attempts per game in the 2019 playoffs. During the regular season it was 39.7% on 8.0 treys per game.

rudel.dietrich 06-30-2019 09:47 PM

New York gets Julius Randle

Sixers retain Harris and add Horford
I thoght Horford might go to Dallas

Miami is going to do a sign and trade for Butler

rudel.dietrich 07-01-2019 01:42 AM

De’Angelo Russel on a sign and trade to Golden State

Cobra Mgr 07-01-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rudel.dietrich (Post 4509775)
De’Angelo Russel on a sign and trade to Golden State

https://i.gifer.com/QwIh.gif

Cobra Mgr 07-01-2019 08:26 AM

I think it is hysterical the Nix wanted to woo Durant w/an offer less than the max. Don't get me wrong, if I was a GM or owner, I wouldn't give KD $40m+ a year this season to just recover & then hope in 20-22 I get something. But why would they think he would give them a listen if they weren't going to go all the way in?

TheMaus2 07-01-2019 12:08 PM

DLo and Steph will be quite a combo to watch next season.

Been relatively quiet on the Lakers front… wonder if they're waiting on Kawhi's decision before they manuever (pls dont let it be true god)

thehef 07-02-2019 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4509831)
I think it is hysterical the Nix wanted to woo Durant w/an offer less than the max. Don't get me wrong, if I was a GM or owner, I wouldn't give KD $40m+ a year this season to just recover & then hope in 20-22 I get something. But why would they think he would give them a listen if they weren't going to go all the way in?

Agree. No way do I think Durant is worth that kinda coin when a) he'll be getting paid the max to rehab for a full season by a team that wasn't his employer when he got injured, and b) there's not much historical precedent to indicate that a 32-year old player will return as himself after a ruptured Achilles.

Don't get me wrong: My guess is that Durant comes back as a formidable player. But would anybody be surprised if, when he returns, it's more like Larry Bird in 89-90? IOW, a mere all-star but no longer an MVP candidate?

thehef 07-02-2019 02:48 AM

What looked like a disastrous off-season for the Celtics appears to be turning out ok after all. Although Kyrie is the slightly better player skill-wise, when you factor in that Kemba is by all accounts a good team guy and locker room presence, whereas Kyrie was clearly part of the problem, it looks like more of a wash...

Kanter is clearly nowhere near the player that Horford is, but $10m over two years for Kanter, vs the $100m over 4 that it would've cost the C's to retain Big Al - who will be 37 at the end of his Philly deal - that's not a bad "trade."

Ainge is apparently not done, looking to see what free agents might become available, and if any sign-and-trade options are out there...

darkhorse 07-02-2019 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehef (Post 4510197)
Kanter is clearly nowhere near the player that Horford is, but $10m over two years for Kanter, vs the $100m over 4 that it would've cost the C's to retain Big Al - who will be 37 at the end of his Philly deal - that's not a bad "trade."

It's a major downgrade and I doubt the Celtics see Kanter as the starter at center. Despite averaging an impressive 19 pts and 12 boards per 36 minutes in his career while shooting a solid 54% from the field, Kanter has a well deserved reputation for shockingly bad defense. He ranked 71st out of 72 NBA posts in defensive plus-minus this past season and will be suiting up for his 5th organization in 9 NBA seasons.

It's also a weird fit for a team that takes such pride in its defense. The Celtics were the top ranked defensive unit in the NBA just two seasons ago.

Antonin 07-02-2019 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehef (Post 4510197)
What looked like a disastrous off-season for the Celtics appears to be turning out ok after all. Although Kyrie is the slightly better player skill-wise, when you factor in that Kemba is by all accounts a good team guy and locker room presence, whereas Kyrie was clearly part of the problem, it looks like more of a wash...

Kyrie is a strange guy. I will always appreciate what he did for my Cavs during that glorious 2016 championship run. Without "the shot," we don't win. Without Kevin Love's barnacle-like defense vs Steph during the last 3 minutes, we don't win. Without LeBron's amazing chase-down block vs Iggy, we don't win.

But Kyrie has said some things since he left that clearly were aimed at the city of Cleveland and the Cleveland fans. The fans who embraced him warmly during his rookie year, filling seats and cheering hysterically even during those long winter months before LeBron came back, when the Cavs were a truly bad team. And I can't forget Kyrie's decision on that one Fan Appreciation Night to go to the locker room right after the game and not return for the picture-taking and fan giveaways like the other players.

It's ok to be upset at the organization. But never, ever, ever disrespect the fans. If you are out somewhere with your gal and a fan is acting like a jerk, that's different. But other than that, Rule #1 should be "Treat Your Fans With Respect."

darkhorse 07-02-2019 09:48 PM

Lakers sign SF Jared Dudley, a career 39% shooter behind the arc, and SG Troy Daniel, a career 40% on treys, today to one year deals neither of which will affect their salary cap. Perhaps, Rob Pelinka has learned from the dire mistakes made with last years FA haul for Los Angeles. No need to sit on your hands while waiting for Kawhi to make his decision.

Edit: No idea if Magic was telling the truth about Pelinka, but the latter definitely has the oily appearance of a snake and should be played by Rob Lowe in the movie.

thehef 07-03-2019 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by darkhorse (Post 4510247)
It's a major downgrade and I doubt the Celtics see Kanter as the starter at center. Despite averaging an impressive 19 pts and 12 boards per 36 minutes in his career while shooting a solid 54% from the field, Kanter has a well deserved reputation for shockingly bad defense. He ranked 71st out of 72 NBA posts in defensive plus-minus this past season and will be suiting up for his 5th organization in 9 NBA seasons.

It's also a weird fit for a team that takes such pride in its defense. The Celtics were the top ranked defensive unit in the NBA just two seasons ago.

Kanter is no Horford, but they are very different players. The C's will miss Horford's superior defense and 3-point shooting ability. But they will benefit from Kanter's stellar rebounding (14.5 per 36 minutes last year, vs 8.4 for Horford). And I wouldn't have guessed it, but Kanter outscored Al per 36 mins, 20 to 17.

At any rate, I think the C's plan will be throw bodies at the center position, with Kanter, soph Robert Williams (good shot blocker and decent defender), Daniel Theis whom they just brought back (doesn't excel at much, but does a lot of things ok including shooting 3's), and newly-inked Frenchman Vincent Poirier, whom I know nothing about. Attempting to get decent production from this four-headed mystery is probably something that coach Stevens gets excited about. We'll see how it goes...

rudel.dietrich 07-03-2019 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thehef (Post 4510619)
And I wouldn't have guessed it, but Kanter outscored Al per 36 mins, 20 to 17.

Kanter also gives up 25.7 pts per 36 minutes on defense...

There is a reason he does not play 36 minutes and and is going to his 5th team before his 27th birthday.
I would call him a sieve on defense but that would be an insult to sieves.

rudel.dietrich 07-04-2019 01:49 PM

I have watched more NBA summer league than I care to admit :o

rudel.dietrich 07-04-2019 01:53 PM

And I hate to say it but I think Leonard is going to the Lakers.

I would be surprised but not shocked if he went anywhere else.

TheMaus2 07-04-2019 02:15 PM

I pray that he goes nowhere near the lakers.

thehef 07-04-2019 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheMaus2 (Post 4511187)
I pray that he goes nowhere near the lakers.

Same. 1st choice for me is Clippers. 2nd choice is staying with Raps... No Lakers. Hate to see players gang up. And living in the SoCal area, I've witnessed first-hand how horribly insufferable Laker fans can be.

rudel.dietrich 07-04-2019 07:19 PM

Michael Porter Jr. will not participate in summer league. That is too bad, I was hoping to see how healthy he is.

If he can play and provide anything then the Nuggets will be very dangerous.