OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3940)
-   -   Guide: Setting Up a Historical Game now on Steam page (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=297667)

Garlon 01-13-2019 04:55 PM

Guide: Setting Up a Historical Game now on Steam page

I posted a Guide for Setting Up a Historical Game on the OOTP19 Steam Community Hub.

This is just the first draft and I may be updating it with new or additional information.

Those who are new to OOTP may find it useful. If you are a veteran of OOTP historical games you may still find something useful in the guide.

Reed 01-16-2019 09:56 AM

I wish there was a guide like this when I started a few years ago.

One question I had, why do you say to turn off “players miss seasons as they did in real life”? (Unless I misread that part.). With players missing seasons though I have to make sure each team has players for each position for years 1901-1910.

My settings are almost identical but I use 3 year recalc and my weaken/adjust for pitchers/hitters is correspondingly slightly higher.

Thanks for making the guide.

Orcin 01-16-2019 11:27 AM

I just posted a comment on Steam. I have followed your setup before and it works very well.

Garlon 01-21-2019 03:21 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Some results from a recent game 1871-2017.

Bill Veeck 01-23-2019 11:56 AM

What a great thing to do, Garlon. Thanks!

Going through it, why do you prefer L/R splits be OOTP generated rather than actual? And do you know what OOTP uses to generate its own L/R splits?

Thanks again!

Garlon 01-23-2019 01:20 PM

When you turn off the importation of real L/R the game just uses the same values for L and R. So if a player has 75 power, it will be 75 vs R and 75 vs L. This way you know that player will have 75 power. There may otherwise be an imbalance in the game if in particular seasons you have a different ratio of LHP IP than there was historically. This may create a bit of imbalance or even exploit. On top of that I don't know exactly what sample size the game is using for L/R values when you keep that enabled. The L/R data is not available for all players all seasons anyway and then I suppose the game will generate fictional values.

In the guide I suggest using 100/70 for batter imports, but now I'm thinking that 110/100 might be fine.

You may want to set Use Closers to Often instead of Sometimes for all seasons or at least after 1961 or so.

clamel 01-23-2019 02:07 PM

I'm still troubled over the draft issue in hist leagues. I used to have players imported directly with no draft and that worked nice, however I felt that one cool issue was missing.

When trying to get my head around this I have some questions.
When adding on historical they popped up when they played their first MiLB game. I have full minor leagues and normally starts in70s or 80s.

You set the draft to go on 15th Dec. I tried this on my first try, however this is what I got.
It's 1985 when my league starts and the draft in dec of 1985. However finding players that was in the top draft for 1985 already in their teams, Surhoff, Bobby Witt, Randy Johnson and so on. However John Smoltz is not and probably will pop up in that dec draft 1985, since he played the first games in the minors 1986.

Before setting up different I would like to know how it would have played out if I put the draft on the regular time in June.

Would Surhoff get in that 85 June draft and not ready to play from the start of the season . How about Smoltz ?

Maybe it's impossible to get players in the "correct" yearly draft. That is understandable that some player (like Surhoff, Randy) was drafted even earlier but opted to not sign and go in later drafts.

Is it basically the year they first entered the field in any level and then they pop up in the draft the year prior to that first playing-year, not actual draftyear.

What difference will June towards Dec draft do ???

Confusing, but I'm sure you get my meaning. :unsure:

Garlon 01-23-2019 02:29 PM

I'm not sure what happens when you use minor leagues with historical games. I never use minor leagues. In my games players enter the draft when they debuted in MLB. So in my December 1985 draft there will be players who debuted in 1986.

clamel 01-23-2019 04:34 PM

I really don't think we got much difference using full minors or just majors.
The thing of retiring players according to history works good. If a player goes from Majors to Minors for his last couple of years he will not retire until those minor-years are out. That's perfectly as it should.

So the same most be when they enter as draft choices. First year in minors (or same cases majors directly) is the key not true draftyear the player signed a contract.

But whatever this is not the answer on my question.

What happens if you move that draft date to June then ? Will we have players debuting in 1986 or the players that debut in 1985 (as it really should be) ? I think if one use full minors or just majors the answer on this is the same.

I recall that this question have been up years ago, but I can't find the thread/post that got this issue on when to have the draft. Just thought someone could remember what the results was.

I gave another search and came up a lot better. It's obvious the same with or without minors
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...52&postcount=2

Garlon 01-23-2019 07:08 PM

The draft class will be for the following season's debuts. So you want to have the draft after the season is over otherwise players will be entering the game a season early.

clamel 01-24-2019 05:06 AM

Absolutely clear.
However lots of talk have been on who pops up or not. Even read that only Major league player pop up in the draft pool, which isn't the case. In my test run for 1985 season I had 1100 players in the Dec draft pool. That's all the players who made their Pro-debut in any level in 1986 then.
Naturally players that was in the RL draft (like HS players, that never signed) obviously will not pop up until they in RL made their debut as pros.

Still a new experience having to deal with the draft instead of just having the players joining their first team. Maybe not so historical correct but then the AI starts trading right away anyhow. Then some players joining an organization the first time just never made an impact in that MLB-team.
So of course History with a twist, as it should be.

The alternative should be to play without minors and historical transaction. The great thing with this game one do have sooo many options :thumbup1:

One issue with this draft is minor but players that was signed at a very early age directly (not in any draft) like Juan Gonzalez, Ivan Rodriguez, Bernie Williams, Sammy Sosa are in this games draft pool the year ahead of when they started to play. If drafted they would never be the young signings they were in RL. Lots of stars from these countries are dumped into the draft pool and not restricted to the common draft rule that a player should have come out from HS or College. The basic criteria is age. If 19 then HS player. In Matt Williams case that was wrong since he came out of Las Vegas Uni when he finally join the pros.
A small correction to get closer to the truth might be to send younger then 18 years players from Central/South America into FA directly and not to the draft. That way the will be as in RL open to sign for any team.

But then maybe we can't have everything. :(