OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3624)
-   -   How I control my News (and aid my immersion) (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=204914)

1998 Yankees 01-01-2011 01:16 PM

How I control my News (and aid my immersion)

1 Attachment(s)
This is how I do it - just a suggestion, of course.

Depending on your News Subscription Settings, the news can be overwhelming. Lots and lots of tidbits about marginal players and minor deals.

The way I cull it down is to set my subscriptions as shown below. The key setting is News involving shortlisted players.

I do want to see all general news from my league and my organization, as well as major awards and special accomplishments. However, I want to see the other news categories only when they concern my shortlisted players.

I routinely shortlist players who win batting titles and major awards, as well as those who have achieved special accomplishments. I also shortlist players in whom I have an interest, such as those I have traded away.

So, my news is cut down do the major players, so to speak, and the clutter is removed. This helps my game immersion because I can follow the careers of great players, and my favorites, much more closely.

YMMV

CHOWDERHEAD 01-01-2011 09:12 PM

Thanks for sharing this. I will give it a try...

MizzouRah 01-01-2011 09:12 PM

Right now I have it set for the whole world and everything checked, that really seems to help with my immersion.

CHOWDERHEAD 01-01-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 3077367)
Right now I have it set for the whole world and everything checked, that really seems to help with my immersion.

That is what I have right now and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with information that is not very helpful. I really don't get much help from the constant emails that tell me that the backup SS for some single A team (not one of mine) has suffered a snake bite. I think I will tighten up the info just a little.

MizzouRah 01-01-2011 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOWDERHEAD (Post 3077372)
That is what I have right now and I am feeling a little overwhelmed with information that is not very helpful. I really don't get much help from the constant emails that tell me that the backup SS for some single A team (not one of mine) has suffered a snake bite. I think I will tighten up the info just a little.

Yeah, I just tried it for a few weeks of simming, I'm back to "your league and organization" which to me is just about perfect. (everything checked)

1998 Yankees 01-02-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MizzouRah (Post 3077367)

That's why I said "YMMV." :)
Quote:

Originally Posted by CHOWDERHEAD (Post 3077372)

That's what I was trying to get across, a "can't see the forest for the trees" thing. For some people (especially those playing out their games day by day), "all news, all the time" may be just the thing for immersion. For me though, simming a few days to a week at a time, I found that dozens of messages in my mailbox takes away from immersion. Cutting back on it, I get more into my league with less, more focused information.

MizzouRah 01-02-2011 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1998 Yankees (Post 3077497)
That's why I said "YMMV." :)

Yes I know.. I was just telling you what I was using.

OldFatGuy 01-02-2011 07:15 PM

Thanks a lot. Gonna give this a go.

I especially like the idea of shortlisting the great players in your league to follow them more closely. I think this may be one reason I've felt less than informed about some of the all time greats since I've read hundreds and hundreds of news items I think they get lost in the noise.

1998 Yankees 01-02-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFatGuy (Post 3077606)
Thanks a lot. Gonna give this a go.

I especially like the idea of shortlisting the great players in your league to follow them more closely. I think this may be one reason I've felt less than informed about some of the all time greats since I've read hundreds and hundreds of news items I think they get lost in the noise.

Thanks, OFG. I tell ya, it sure saves on time as well.