OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Most satisfying player youve ever drafted? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=304149)

UltimateAverageGuy 06-14-2019 03:23 PM

Most satisfying player youve ever drafted?

There's always the one player you'll never forget, could be a #1 pick but usually its the mid-rounder that came out of nowhere....share them here!

DustyElbows 06-14-2019 03:40 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Mine is Te'Kwaan Whyte. Snagged him in the Rule 5 draft, hoping he could be a serviceable middle infielder. He got pushed into the everyday lineup and produced 3 WAR in the regular season before going on an absolute tear in the playoffs. He won ALDS and World Series MVP trophies (as a 26-year-old rookie) and my team won its first championship.

As you can see, the rest of his career didn't go so well. But we'll always have 2023.

UltimateAverageGuy 06-14-2019 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyElbows (Post 4501751)
Mine is Te'Kwaan Whyte. Snagged him in the Rule 5 draft, hoping he could be a serviceable middle infielder. He got pushed into the everyday lineup and produced 3 WAR in the regular season before going on an absolute tear in the playoffs. He won ALDS and World Series MVP trophies (as a 26-year-old rookie) and my team won its first championship.

As you can see, the rest of his career didn't go so well. But we'll always have 2023.

Thats a great story!

LunchBox 06-15-2019 11:12 AM

5 Attachment(s)
I have a guy named Paxton Rigby, who started out as 20/20 17th round filler draft pick and has now become a potential hall of famer.

Paxton's Main Page

Attachment 631392

Paxton's Scouting Main Page

Attachment 631393

OSA vs. Head Scout Scouting History

Attachment 631394Attachment 631395

Paxton's Career Batting Statistics

Attachment 631396

SirGreatWhite 06-15-2019 05:12 PM

^ WOW! That's impressive power! Dude has 46 COMBINED home runs from age 22-26...then gets to age 27 and cranks out 53!!! Sounds suspicious! LOL :laugh:

LunchBox 06-16-2019 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGreatWhite (Post 4502193)
^ WOW! That's impressive power! Dude has 46 COMBINED home runs from age 22-26...then gets to age 27 and cranks out 53!!! Sounds suspicious! LOL :laugh:

I would love to say I edited him, just see if I could shake up my universe, but I did not touch him the man went from nothing to being a potential Hall of Famer without any outside intervention from me. Which now makes me gunshy about trading or releasing 20/20 rated minor leaguers.

LunchBox 06-16-2019 09:52 AM

Plus you can see I even toyed with idea using his meager pitching ratings and making him a reliever at the end of the 2020 season, when he was still in rookie ball

Wolfman21 06-30-2019 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SirGreatWhite (Post 4502193)

AA season he struck out over 2x more than he walked. Very next season in AAA he walked almost 3x more than he struck out. So odd

Matt Arnold 06-30-2019 11:14 AM

I'll remember it was a few versions ago, drafted this Catcher Chase Vallot for my Blue Jays franchise. He was a true ironman for me - I think he was only injured like twice in his career, and if I remember, it was just a cold or something. Played like 140-145 games a year as a catcher for about 15 years straight (until we edited catcher fatigue, and he started to get older). Had over 500 HR career for me, and it was only sad when he got to like 38 but wanted some crazy amount of money in free agency. It was so hard to let him go that I think I brought him back 2 or 3 years later to play out the end of his career as a backup for me.

Then I found out he was a real player, and was shocked at the depth of the game. He wasn't a draft pick in the first year of that game, and I hadn't realized at the time that we seeded the draft even a couple years ahead of time. Sad that he never quite panned out in real life, still stuck in the low minors.

NoOne 06-30-2019 10:13 PM

i had a late round reliever change my whole assessment of closers. i'm sure some TCR helped, but even with that he was never ~80 overall until his stats kicked in. his potential was always fairly low.

this guy dominated. sub-2.00 era most years. wasn't even max+ stuff. took 2.5 years of destroying opponents before i placed him ahead of much better rated RP. he was cheap too... at least initially. someone else paid the big bucks to watch his talent fade.

i wish i had made some screenshots over the years of some players. i know this isn't my favorite draft pick, but i remember it well.

he had a screwball or knucklecurve... i think one of those is along the lines of the elitely rated knuckleball, but more down-to-earth. (high-end ratings only)