OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3965)
-   -   Straight season replay (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303602)

PetVet 05-26-2019 09:06 PM

Straight season replay

I have been enjoying playing season replays with a number of different games since a young age. I am very intrigued with OOTP even though I realize that it is designed to be primarily a GM game rather than a season simulation experience. I like the the aesthetics of the program, the rich play-by-play, and the volume and diversity of statistical reports. I'm considering a purchase in order to carry out a historical replay of 1968, but I have a couple of questions.

I understand the "real life transactions" don't include promotions and demotions but do account for trades and periods of time lost to injury. In order to employ real lineups and transactions, does the program need to leave the entire roster as active as in past OOTP versions, or will the CPU maintain a 25 man roster? It would be unnerving to be presented in the 8th inning with 10-15 options for a pinch hitter or relief pitcher.

I like to pick one game each day on the MLB schedule to play so that I have the opportunity to manage each team multiple times over the course of the season. Is this possible, or must one select only one team to manage throughout the entire season?

Thanks very much for any insight from some of the OOTP veterans!

pstrickert 05-26-2019 09:35 PM

IMO, it is a myth that OOTP is mainly a GM game. The last decade has seen all kinds of improvements to the historical league experience. The myth should be laid to rest. As to your questions: The AI will now keep a 25-man roster. So, that's no longer an issue. If you enable commissioner mode, you can choose to manage any game on the schedule. Just be sure to take control of the team of your choice in the pre-game options. In my experience, single-season replay produces the best results using 1-yr recalc. The only option I change from default is the "adjust hitters" value. I change it from 300 to 150. If you have other questions, just ask. Hope you enjoy the game.

PetVet 05-26-2019 09:47 PM

That’s encouraging! I’m uncertain, however, about the terms “one-year recalc” and “adjust hitter value”.

pstrickert 05-26-2019 10:36 PM

When you set up the league using the historical wizard, you're presented with these options in Step 1, I believe. The OOTP20 manual explains the different options, if you're interested.

https://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com...torical_wizard

PetVet 05-27-2019 09:22 AM

Thank you very much for your input!

PetVet 05-28-2019 11:24 AM

Another question regarding historical replays:
Does the game reflect real-life injuries? If Aaron Judge was injured in a given season, will he be off of the active roster for the duration of his real injury, and reappear when he came off the IL? Using as-played lineups will keep him out of the starting lineup, but will he still be on the bench and therefore available to appear in the game?

Thanks!

pstrickert 05-28-2019 11:44 AM

OOTP20 is the first edition of the game to include historical injuries in the transactions file. :)

PetVet 05-28-2019 01:07 PM

Excellent! Thanks!

David Watts 06-06-2019 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pstrickert (Post 4493595)
IMO, it is a myth that OOTP is mainly a GM game. The last decade has seen all kinds of improvements to the historical league experience. The myth should be laid to rest. As to your questions: The AI will now keep a 25-man roster. So, that's no longer an issue. If you enable commissioner mode, you can choose to manage any game on the schedule. Just be sure to take control of the team of your choice in the pre-game options. In my experience, single-season replay produces the best results using 1-yr recalc. The only option I change from default is the "adjust hitters" value. I change it from 300 to 150. If you have other questions, just ask. Hope you enjoy the game.

Just reread this post and I can't tell you how much I agree with you about the myth being dead. I've always felt Markus and Co. have been a little too shy/humble when it comes to the historical side of OOTP. Well, with the addition of real injuries the time has come to start bragging and to start promoting this game as a honest to goodness replay game. I set up a historical league using real transactions(didn't use real lineups) in 1948 and let the game sim to 1976. Looking at the careers of players during this period blew me away. Aaron hit 727 home runs. Mays 640. Kaline 422. Career batting averages were so close. The myth is dead folks and OOTP no longer needs to use disclaimers like OOTP isn't meant to be a replay game ever again.