OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 15 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3876)
-   -   Draft Pick Compensation (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=249912)

Bernie4331 01-12-2015 01:18 PM

Draft Pick Compensation

In my online league, we just completed our draft that had 8 compensation picks in the 1st round. It's a 20 team league and one of my picks was 1-28. If I choose not to sign him, do I get the 1-21 compensation pick or 2-9 (or 29th overall pick)?

There's a lot of disagreement in the league on this and I wanted to see if anyone could clarify.

Also, the commish claims that comp picks can be rolled over year over year (i.e. you don't sign someone this year at the 1-10 spot, next year you get 1-11, if you don't sign him, you get the 1-12 the following year). Is this possible?

Thanks for your help!

saturn2187 01-12-2015 02:56 PM

In a feature that did not change with the most recent CBA in 2012, teams can also earn compensation for unsigned picks from the previous year's draft. If a team doesn't sign a first or second round pick, they will get to pick at the same slot plus one the following year. For example, if the team with the #5 pick does not sign that player, they would have the #6 pick the following year. The regular draft order would continue around those picks. For compensation for not signing a third round pick, teams would get a pick in a supplemental round between the third and fourth rounds. If a team fails to sign a player with one of these compensated picks, there is no compensation the following year.

Bernie4331 01-12-2015 03:34 PM

Thanks, but what happens if you have a pick that's 1-28 out of a 20 team league? Meaning there were 8 supp picks in this years draft. Do I get the 29th overall pick or the last pick of the 1st round?

saturn2187 01-12-2015 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie4331 (Post 3795334)
Thanks, but what happens if you have a pick that's 1-28 out of a 20 team league? Meaning there were 8 supp picks in this years draft. Do I get the 29th overall pick or the last pick of the 1st round?

Teams that fail to sign a first or second round pick will be compensated by receiving a virtually identical pick (plus one) in the following year's draft (ex., a team that fails to sign the No. 5 pick in 2006 receives the No. 6 pick in 2007). A team that fails to sign a second round pick gets virtually the identical pick the following season regardless of the round (for example, if Boston fails to sign pick #62, it will receive pick #62A (~63) in the next year's draft, regardless of whether pick #62A falls in the supplemental round, the second round, or the third round). A team that fails to sign a third-round pick receives a sandwich pick between the third and fourth rounds. None of these picks may be forfeited. Additionally, these compensation picks cannot be parlayed into compensation picks in a later draft. If a player selected as compensation for failure to sign a previous year's draftee also goes unsigned, the team does not have a right to compensation for the unsigned player.

Reading this, it sounds like you will get 29th pick (instead of 21st), but it's a one time deal. The picks don't roll over year after year after year.

BIG17EASY 01-12-2015 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bernie4331 (Post 3795334)

You don't get anything. If you fail to sign a supplemental pick, you lose that pick.

Bernie4331 01-12-2015 03:50 PM

Asking the commish which CBA we're using because he was adamant that the picks roll over year after year (which doesn't happen in my other leagues).

Thanks again

The_Niddler 10-27-2015 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG17EASY (Post 3795341)
You don't get anything. If you fail to sign a supplemental pick, you lose that pick.

In OOTP 15, I run an online league and the comp picks carry over from year to year and do not disappear as they should.
Is there a setting somewhere or does OOTP16 handle this appropriately?