OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   How to see rust (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=309692)

SeaBear 01-21-2020 12:31 AM

How to see rust

Is rust a rating/stat anywhere that we can see in any player file?

Palaaemon 01-21-2020 01:13 AM

Rust

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeaBear (Post 4578998)
Is rust a rating/stat anywhere that we can see in any player file?

Sorry no. If you already know this information great! It will be here for someone else if they need it. If you did not know it, you are welcome! :D

Rest assured though that all players that go into the regular season without the benefit of spring training to "knock off the rust from the winter" will be subject to possibly a slow start and/or an increased chance of injuries. Also when coming back from longer injuries players gather rust while on the IL. If you do not send them to rehab their injuries (which also knocks off their rust from being out, gauge rehab time on injury time) they are again more subject to a poor start and/or re-injuring or being injured again. Some people follow these instructions, some don't. Up to you. Your game, play it your way! :D

Have a great night!

Palaaemon

CBeisbol 01-21-2020 07:32 AM

Your scouts should be able to see "rust", no?

I mean, I'm sure* they don't in the game, but they should

*I'm actually not sure. In a fictional league I created all my minor league starting pitchers were scouted at 20/20 (on the 20-80 scale) for every level before the season. Once they started pitching they were properly scouted

David Watts 01-21-2020 08:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palaaemon (Post 4579004)
Sorry no. If you already know this information great! It will be here for someone else if they need it. If you did not know it, you are welcome! :D

Rest assured though that all players that go into the regular season without the benefit of spring training to "knock off the rust from the winter" will be subject to possibly a slow start and/or an increased chance of injuries. Also when coming back from longer injuries players gather rust while on the IL. If you do not send them to rehab their injuries (which also knocks off their rust from being out, gauge rehab time on injury time) they are again more subject to a poor start and/or re-injuring or being injured again. Some people follow these instructions, some don't. Up to you. Your game, play it your way! :D

Have a great night!

Palaaemon

Do you know whether rust ever sleeps?

leandrocamargo 01-21-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palaaemon (Post 4579004)

Have a great night!

Palaaemon

Does OOTP 20 currently have this behavior implemented? Or is it only a personal choosed way of play the game?

Palaaemon 01-21-2020 10:36 AM

The Philosophy of Rust

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4579052)

I'm not sure, but I know that Rust-Oleum makes rust 🐟🐟:sleep:🐟🐟.

Palaaemon 01-21-2020 10:51 AM

Rust

Quote:

Originally Posted by leandrocamargo (Post 4579064)
Does OOTP 20 currently have this behavior implemented? Or is it only a personal choosed way of play the game?

It iS part of the game and has been for as long as I can remember. What I was referring to was that some people take rust more seriously than others.
It is definitely worth "knocking the rust off" before the regular season or rehabbing after coming back from a month or longer injury (the length of the rehab can vary based on the length of the injury).

Hope this helps Leandro! Have a great day!

Palaaemon

t-bone shuffle 01-21-2020 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 4579052)

Or does it just fade away?

redranger 01-21-2020 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle (Post 4579077)
Or does it just fade away?

Sometimes it’s better to burn out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

leandrocamargo 01-21-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Palaaemon (Post 4579072)
It iS part of the game and has been for as long as I can remember. What I was referring to was that some people take rust more seriously than others.
It is definitely worth "knocking the rust off" before the regular season or rehabbing after coming back from a month or longer injury (the length of the rehab can vary based on the length of the injury).

Hope this helps Leandro! Have a great day!

Palaaemon

It's good to know about it, thanks! I'm going to take it in consideration while playing now.

Len1950 01-22-2020 05:48 PM

redranger said:
Quote:

"Be careful to be gentle, lest in removing the rust you break the whole instrument."
Benedict of Nursia, 6th century monk.

He was the patron saint of inflammatory diseases, founded twelve communities for monks, likely would have made a fine team trainer or baseball commissioner.

Dyzalot 01-22-2020 06:51 PM

Don't know if this will help anyone but I play with injuries on "high" and my "rule of thumb" is 30 days. Less than 30 days on IL and I'll typically bring them right back to the roster. Once they've been out for 30 days then I'll typically use the rehab option for at least a couple of days unless it is one of my best players in a pennant race where I may bend my rule. I will adjust those guidelines up or down a bit for guys rated as "wrecked" or "durable". If someone has been out for four months or more then I typically let them use all or most of the rehab time available before bringing them back. These guidelines seem to work fairly well for me.

bailey 01-22-2020 07:10 PM

I'd like to see them change "tired" to "effectiveness" which would incorporate into a single rating "tiredness" from over-use and "rust" from lack of use.

CBeisbol 01-22-2020 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bailey (Post 4579451)
I'd like to see them change "tired" to "effectiveness" which would incorporate into a single rating "tiredness" from over-use and "rust" from lack of use.

This is a very good idea

Incorporate injuries in as well

Scouting is underused as just giving some ratings. It SHOULD show fluctuations in those ratings due to tiredness, injury and "rust"

Dyzalot 01-22-2020 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBeisbol (Post 4579463)
It SHOULD show fluctuations in those ratings due to tiredness, injury and "rust"

I disagree with this. I don't think scouts in MLB are performing these functions. However maybe a system where a player can communicate some of these things, such as asking for a day off or a guy who's been on the injured list for a while letting the team know when he feels like he's back to normal with no rust would make sense. This seems to be something that happens between players, coaching staffs and training staffs more than it is a function of actual scouting. In fact, maybe adding a function to the trainer where he identifies players in need of rest or players coming off injuries that could use rehab time to "knock the rust off" might make some sense. I'm certainly open to something like that. I just don't think it should be a job for the scout.

t-bone shuffle 01-22-2020 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redranger (Post 4579118)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

He's referencing a line from a Neil Young tune.

He's the patron saint of great songwriting and blistering, scattershot electric guitar.

CBeisbol 01-22-2020 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4579465)
In fact, maybe adding a function to the trainer where he identifies players in need of rest or players coming off injuries that could use rehab time to "knock the rust off" might make some sense. I'm certainly open to something like that.

That probablly makes more sense

Argonaut 01-24-2020 01:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle (Post 4579467)
He's referencing a line from a Neil Young tune.

He's the patron saint of great songwriting and blistering, scattershot electric guitar.

Also a Def Leppard song.

Football Manager has a decent system where you can see both tiredness and rust at the same time. I think OOTP could do this if it wanted, as you can already see two separate tiredness indicators for 2-way players.

old fat bald guy 01-24-2020 04:14 PM

Hey hey, my my
Not sure I understand why

A guy can't get re-injured on a rehab assignment as easily as he can if you just plop him back into the lineup. He's playing baseball. Is it an effort thing? (I ain't diving for that in the minors.) I guess I can see it with starting pitchers because they don't go deep, but on the other hand I've had guys' arms 'splode early in spring training when I have them on 50-pitch limits.

In my experience the effect of rust on performance is unpredictable, as I suppose it should be.

byzeil 01-24-2020 05:01 PM

This is from a long time ago but is the only "official" word from Markus that I've seen regarding Rust.

https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com/...0&postcount=15

Is it the same now or have things evolved? Rust exists and I consider it in ST and when a player is out for more than 2-3 weeks. The shorter time they are out the shorter I leave them on rehab assignment. I'm especially cautious with Fragile/Wrecked players and rehab them more than others.