OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Bug Reports Forum (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3927)
-   -   Contract offer bugs (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=301300)

Enthusiast77 03-30-2019 04:52 PM

Contract offer bugs

Hello,

I will confess I am still playing MLB Manager 2017 on iOS. But the code doesn’t appear to change much from year to year, so possibly these issues remain outstanding.

I have been playing the olden days seasons that come standard with the app. I think I started in 1929 with Pittsburgh. I notice two problems:

First, the program insists that I adjust salary offers by a minimum of $10K increments. But players only earn 5-25K per year, so the adjustments are much too crude to properly offer people what they are worth.

Second, and possibly related to the above, I am having a heck of a time signing free agents and negotiating contract extensions. I am aware that this is a common gripe and it is not our birthright to nab every player we set our sights on.

However, something is surely wrong with the code as a player demands $25K per year. I meet the demand and they say it isn’t enough. They then proceed to demand exactly the amount and term that I was initially offering them. I can appreciate that players might want more over time as they test how much you value them. But it is weird to demand the exact amount they Already rejected. I then increase the offer by an absurd $10K (see prior bug) and they reject that. I check to see what they want, and frequently they still want the original amount (less than I just offered!). I have tested out offering more and more, to the point of offering people $85K per year when all they want is $25K, but they keep saying it isn’t enough while asking for less.

I’ll confess that a few times the player starts to ask for whatever I last offered (rising in line with my offers, but it still makes no sense that they reject my offer and then demand the same amount). It doesn’t appear to be the case that I am bidding up my competitors, either. I had a starting pitcher do this to me yesterday, ultimately signing with someone else. I then checked their new contract and they signed for $15K per year over four years, one third what I offered over the same term. I don’t get it. I had another superstar (Mel Orr!) request an extension and he eventually got so mad at me (at my ever increasing above-market and above-request offers!) that he stopped negotiating and decided to test free agency.

I never had anything quite this egregious happen when playing in the modern era. It makes me wonder if some code simply can’t handle the much smaller salaries of the olden days? I even wondered if the button says +10K but maybe the code adjusts for the era and registers some smaller amount, such that my offers are not actually as lucrative as they look. But it can’t just be that as they also get mad at me when I repeatedly press the “meet their demand” button. And I am definitely paying the inflated salaries when I occasionally succeed in signing someone. Thank goodness the pirates have a massive budget that lets me afford even overvalued players.

As it stands it has become unplayable. Otherwise amazing game!

Thank you