OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - Fictional Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3941)
-   -   Introducing your St. Louis River Walkers of the Midwest Baseball League (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=294650)

rink23 11-08-2018 03:35 AM

Introducing your St. Louis River Walkers of the Midwest Baseball League (revised)

1 Attachment(s)
Well, my Cardinals dynasty died about a week and a half ago about midway through the 2022 season.
This is my second attempt at this, as in the first one I set something up incorrectly and a bunch of five-star players (mostly relief pitchers) showed up in the draft and messed things up.
I thought about switching over to Madden, as I have in past years, but the NFL has lost much of its appeal to me to the point where I hardly pay attention to it. (My x-box stick skills also are not what they were now that I am 54).
So I deciding to try something new, as I have almost always concentrated on Cardinals' dynasty featuring the real franchise, I set up a 24-team fictional league, featuring real MLB players distributed through a fantasy draft.
The league consists of two leagues each boasting two six-team divisions. Only the division winners will make the playoffs and there is no designated hitter. Each franchise also will have one AAA level minor league. There is no interleague play.
The players were distributed through a 60-round draft, with a $180 million dollar cap. I'm not sure if I set it up correctly, but I am hoping each team will have to play under a $205 million salary cap.
All 24 teams are in Midwestern cities, with the divisions set up based on region. I will be playing as the St. Louis River Walkers, based on the city's proximity to the Mississippi River and the TV show The Walking Dead's term for Zombies. The team's mascot is Wally the Walker. He's shown below at a recent meet-and-greet.
In my Cardinals dynasty, I posted frequently, with every box score, news and mail items and end of week player of the week and stat packages.
I will probably severely cut back on that in his thread. But I will probably post end of week standings and award winners and other newsy items as the franchise moves along.

rink23 11-08-2018 03:47 AM

St. Louis River Walkers regular season roster

3 Attachment(s)
This is the River Walkers' roster going into the opening day of the regular season.
My draft strategy, at least for putting together the main roster, was to alternate pitcher and position players, with an emphasis on putting together my pitching staff.
I think I had the fifth pick in the serpentine draft and took Jacob DeGrom first, followed by outfielder Michael Confronto. Aaron Nola was the third round pick with Andrew Benintendi coming aboard in the fourth.

rink23 11-08-2018 03:50 AM

MBL news: Pre-spring training standings and predictions

3 Attachment(s)
Here is a look at the league set up and preseason predictions as put together by the computer at the start of spring training.
The River Walkers are tabbed for a second-place finish in the South Division of the MBL. Jacob DeGrom and Aaron Nola are expected to be among the NL's best pitchers.

rink23 11-08-2018 05:50 AM

April 2: River Walkers 5, Pit Master 4 (10 innings)

3 Attachment(s)
Andrew Benentindi hit a solo home run with one out in the top of the ninth inning of Kansas City reliever Liam Hendricks to snap a 4-4 tie and help give the St. Louis River Walkers a 5-4 win in their 2018 season opener.
Both teams scored three times in the first innings, and St. Louis led 4-3 in the bottom of the eighth before Andrew McCutchen scored on a Jerry Blevins wild pitch.
Reliever Chaz Roe pitched a scoreless ninth inning and closer Sean Doolittle was perfect in the 10th to earn the save.

rink23 11-08-2018 05:54 AM

MLB news: Week 1 wrap up

4 Attachment(s)
The River Walkers opened the season by dropping three of four games in Kansas City, but bounced back with a road sweep of the Rockford Lightning.

rink23 11-08-2018 06:20 AM

MLB news: Week 2 wrap up

5 Attachment(s)
The River Walkers had a great week going 5-1, taking two of three on the road from the Twin Cities Snow Cats and then sweeping the first-place Springfield Prairie Fighters in a three-game series at home. They now sit atop of the South Division of the National League, with a one-game lead over Quad City and Kansas City.

rink23 11-10-2018 05:15 AM

MLB news: Week 3 wrap up

5 Attachment(s)
The River Walkers winning streak reached seven games with a three-game sweep of the Cedar Rapids Golden Grapplers, before they dropped the opening game of a three-game series against the Milwaukee Keg Lifters. The Keg Lifters would end up taking two of three in that series.

rink23 11-18-2018 04:51 AM

MLB news: Week 4 wrap up

5 Attachment(s)
The River Walkers went 4-2 for the week, yet dropped back to 1.5 games behind Kansas City and Springfield in the NL West standings.

rink23 11-18-2018 04:54 AM

MLB news: Award winners for April

5 Attachment(s)
MLB news: Award winners for April

rink23 11-18-2018 04:59 AM

MLB news: One last award and End of April standings

2 Attachment(s)
MLB news: One last award and End of April standings

rink23 11-18-2018 05:00 AM

MLB news: AL leaders at end of April

4 Attachment(s)
MLB news: AL leaders at end of April

rink23 11-18-2018 05:02 AM

MBL news: NL leaders at end of April

4 Attachment(s)
MBL news: NL leaders at end of April

rink23 11-18-2018 05:09 AM

River Walkers news: Team statistics for April

4 Attachment(s)
River Walkers news: Team statistics for April

rink23 11-18-2018 05:12 AM

River Walkers news: Team awards for April

3 Attachment(s)
Player of the Month: Outfielder Michael Conforto batted .323 with six home runs and 19 RBIs in 25 games. He scored 14 runs and had an on-base percentage of .394. His slugging percentage was .570.
Starting pitcher of the Month: Right-hander Jacob DeGrom was 2-0 in five starts with a 2.25 ERA. He pitched a total of 32 innings, posting a WHIP of 1.09 and striking out 34 batters.
Relief pitcher of the Month: Right-hander Brad Boxberger was 2-0 in 11 games and posted one save. He didn't allow an earned run in 11.2 innings and had a 0.86 WHIP. He struck out 20 batters.

rink23 11-18-2018 07:17 AM

May 4: River Walkers 10, Long Haulers 9, 16 inning

3 Attachment(s)
In one of the longest OOTP games I have played, and I have played 1,000s, the St. Louis River Walkers defeated the Green Bay Long Haulers 10-9 in 16 innings.
It was tied 7-7 after nine innings and remained that way until the top of the 16th, when the Haulers' Kevin Pillar hit a two-run home run off the Walkers' Alex Cobb, who was scheduled to start the next day but was pressed into duty when the bullpen ran out of arms.
St Louis, however, answered with three runs in the bottom half. Andrew Benintendi connecting for an RBI single off Chris Tillman to make it 9-8. Rhys Hoskins followed with another single to tie it. Alex Bregman won it with a third straight single.

rink23 11-18-2018 08:11 AM

MBL news: Week 5 wrap up

5 Attachment(s)
MBL news: Week 5 wrap up

rink23 11-20-2018 06:35 AM

MBL: Week 6 update

5 Attachment(s)
MBL: Week 6 update

rink23 11-21-2018 03:08 AM

May 14: St. Louis 3, Quad City 0

4 Attachment(s)
St. Louis River Walkers starting pitcher Trevor Bauer turned in one of the biggest rarities in the game, tossing a shutout in a 3-0 win over the Quad City Thunder on Thursday, March 14 at Busch Stadium.
The only hits Bauer allowed were a double to Will Myers to lead off the game and a lead-off single to Orlando Arcia in the fourth.

Bauer (2-3) retired 18 of the next 19 batters. He struck out nine and walked two in the contest.

rink23 11-25-2018 04:14 AM

MBL news: Week 6 update

5 Attachment(s)
MBL news: Week 6 update

rink23 11-25-2018 06:15 AM

Walkers news: Bauer blanks Snow Cats for second shutout of season

3 Attachment(s)
The St. Louis River Walkers' Trevor Bauer became the first pitcher in the Midwest Baseball League in 2018 to throw two shutouts, blanking the Twin City Snow Cats 5-0 on May 25 at Busch Stadium.
Bauer (4-3, 3.71) allowed just two hits in the contest, a bunt single to Jonathan Villar in the second inning and a two-out double to J.P. Crawford in the eighth, while striking out nine and walking none. He did hit Gregory Polanco with a pitch with two outs in the top of the ninth inning, but got Carlos Santana to fly out to end it.

On May 14, Bauer had gone the distance in a 3--0 win over the Quad-City Thunder, also in St. Louis.