OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 17 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3906)
-   -   Onedrive?!?!? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=270932)

Tomato Can 10-25-2016 01:02 AM

Onedrive?!?!?

I have been receiving request from "Onedrive" for me to start paying for the data storage that I am using. To my knowledge I never saved anything to "Onedrive". After finally clicking on the request, I see that a great majority of my OOTP 17 game info is automatically being saved to "Onedrive".

Does it have to be saved there? I am not going to pay a monthly fee to play any game and if this game keeps automatically storing my game info there that will be required. I probably have a setting wrong or something.

Is it possible to have the game info stored on my computer, not some cloud like storage?

Why would it automatically set to store it there?

Any help would be appreciated.

Reed 10-25-2016 11:36 AM

The game is stored on my MacBook Pro. I think most windows users have it stored on their computers also. I don't know anything about "onedrive". Sorry I can't be of more help.

byzeil 10-25-2016 11:42 AM

The game itself does not do anything automatically with onedrive. If your's is using onedrive then that is something setup on your computer and outside the control of OOTP as by default OOTP stores files locally on your computer.

I have Windows 10 and I believe onedrive is an option but I don't use it.

NoOne 10-25-2016 12:35 PM

yup, it's just one more of those things where they try to force something on you... better to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission is the standard business model.

since you didn't disable this... i'd strongly recommend looking at your win 10 settings / privacy settings / control panel - look through it ALL. especially the part where it shares your internet bandwidth with other MS Windows updaters. something like that should be illegal, but i don't think people are knowledgable enough to understand how nefarious it is. it's no accident and they are stealing from you (taking without asking something of value).

mitchkenn 10-25-2016 12:38 PM

after following NoOne's advice, you can look at the game itself and see what those settings are .....

under GAME SETTINGS> DATABASE you can change the location of the files. the third line down (on my screen) tells me where those files are located. Mine reads C:\ Documents\Out of the Park\OOTP 17\saved_games\database. There is a small "edit" button on the far right where you can change the location.

you will most likely need to make a copy of your files that are on One Drive in the new location before you edit that line. i would also recommend making a backup of your game before doing anything else. The in game back-up/restore function is kind of clunky .... but RchW wrote a great piece (with pics) on how to make it work.
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4084018
he also wrote of an alternate method of backing up, which is what i use:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...ml#post4084038

don't know if you need all this info, but hopefully some of it will help. Best of luck.

PurpleHaze34 10-27-2016 12:27 PM

OneDrive drove me crazy when I updated to Windows 10. It throttled my internet speed for anything but Microsoft Edge while it "backed up" all of my documents folder. I told it to stop, and then I launched OOTP and my game was gone. I spent a Saturday afternoon, fiddling around with getting my OOTP back out of the OneDrive, and in it's proper place to load from.

I was also getting those messages that I was short on space with OneDrive. I currently close it every start up, but I should just remove it from the start up list of programs.

Cryomaniac 10-27-2016 02:18 PM

I've never had any problems with it saying there's no space, but I have a Microsoft Office subscription, so my OneDrive is a Terabyte.

MrBojangles 10-28-2016 12:51 AM

Get a Mac! iCloud!

Honorable_Pawn 10-28-2016 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 4108661)
I've never had any problems with it saying there's no space, but I have a Microsoft Office subscription, so my OneDrive is a Terabyte.

My experience is that you can't. It regenerates like AOL used to back in the day.

:angry:

I have to close it down every time I start up. So annoying.

RchW 10-28-2016 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato Can (Post 4107589)
I have been receiving request from "Onedrive" for me to start paying for the data storage that I am using. To my knowledge I never saved anything to "Onedrive". After finally clicking on the request, I see that a great majority of my OOTP 17 game info is automatically being saved to "Onedrive".

Does it have to be saved there? I am not going to pay a monthly fee to play any game and if this game keeps automatically storing my game info there that will be required. I probably have a setting wrong or something.

Is it possible to have the game info stored on my computer, not some cloud like storage?

It didn't. You should modify your saved game path to store locally. OOTP didn't do this.

RchW 10-28-2016 06:49 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tomato Can (Post 4107589)

It didn't. You should modify your saved game path to store locally. OOTP didn't do this.

Edit

See the screenshot. This is completely user selectable. Set it to store on your preferred drive.

green 02-13-2019 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchkenn (Post 4107728)
after following NoOne's advice, you can look at the game itself and see what those settings are .....

under GAME SETTINGS> DATABASE you can change the location of the files. the third line down (on my screen) tells me where those files are located. Mine reads C:\ Documents\Out of the Park\OOTP 17\saved_games\database. There is a small "edit" button on the far right where you can change the location. ...

I thankfully followed that advice and made a custom path to the database now kept on my harddrive.

However EVERY time I open the game the game sends over 8 gig of data to OneDrive. I have to minimize the game, delete all the files in OneDrive again, then proceed.

PS: I might not be clear here. The custom path works fine AFTER I load a separate game and each game you have to select it again and again as if just seems to work for a game. The OneDrive mess comes about while loading the OVERALL game to start play.

It seems the custom harddrive location doesn't kick in until you open a game you saved with it. You can't get to the settings to edit the location until you start a game or load a saved one.

So to open the game in general the whole mess comes back again into OneDrive every single time. OneDrive says it is overloaded and wants $100 from me to buy more space. I'm not paying them a single penny.

I'm new here and I just bought OOTP19 on sale to see if I like it (I do so far) and if I want to buy OOTP20 in another month but if I can't get this problem fixed on this version there is no way I'll buy the new one and go through this again every time I try and play.

Short of uninstalling or "delinking" OneDrive I don't know what to do. And to do that I have a bunch of stuff I have to move and save elsewhere including game saves from other games which might make them not work. I'm stuck. Any ideas?