OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 17 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3906)
-   -   personality - intelligence - development rate (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=275085)

NoOne 03-15-2017 10:34 PM

personality - intelligence - development rate

i've been peaking inthe editor again, lately, and this is something i started to notice, then started to pay attention to. the players that lagged in the minors were the ones that were fairly stupid (<100) with greater frequency than low work ethic. players with high work ethic were more randomly dispersed among slow and fast developing players -- should note that these were mostly players worthy of the MLB. a bit tougher to notice when a player is ~fully developed by AA, but you can still see it when a smart 18/19 year old can develop to hit an estimated .240+ in editor after 1 year in rookie league while ignoring them. the guys that get to the MLB by 18/19 are intelligent most of the time.

that's what drew my eye, initially. a high work ethic, low intelligence player was really lagging, and i always figured work ethic increased the rate of development. started perusing my minors and saw who was taking longer to progress to the nex tier etc etc... i think age has a small effect, too, but i've always gone with ability to match level regardless of age, and it doesn't seem to have a negative effect even if just ~average current ability for that league.

Intelligence -> most definitely affects the rate of development. the same info for that showed work ethic does not affect the rate.

so, work ethic must do somethign else... maintain ratings would be my guess, right? i definitely see a correlation with older players and high work ethic. it almost certainly has no effect on rate of development. maybe it affects how likely they are to change potential?? i'm not saying it is completely hands-off in regard to development, but it's not involved with rate.

Klaus 74 03-23-2017 05:57 AM

As a side question for anyone.... in regards to the trait "Desire For Win", why is it that 'Very Low' is in red rather than in blue? If as a GM I was rebuilding and have a sub-par record for several years would it not be best to have such players on my roster as compared to 'Very High'? On the other hand, if I'm a GM of a >.500 club for years is there a difference between which player I should have whether they have a 'Very Low' or 'Very High' with their other traits and ratings as being equal?

It is the color of the trait, being red, that is making me second guess everything.....

old fat bald guy 03-23-2017 06:11 AM

That is interesting, NoOne. I have been assuming work ethic was more important than intelligence.

Klaus 74 03-23-2017 06:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by old fat bald guy (Post 4172344)
That is interesting, NoOne. I have been assuming work ethic was more important than intelligence.

Work ethic can be a crusher to a team's morale if it's in a losing season. But NoOne has done his homework and exposed with interest something we need to be aware of in player development.

I'm the one that needs to stay on course of the topic.