OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 18 - Historical Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3910)
-   -   AI trades between AI is awful! (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=278105)

beatle 05-08-2017 02:07 PM

AI trades between AI is awful!

I have seen teams trade 4 star players for a one two-star player and a minor-league player that is typically a 1 star player, over and over. The game setting is set for 100% accuracy as well. I reverse these trades but the game needs work in this area. I play the game historical setting for the most part so I don’t know if it is the same for 2017.

outofthepark 05-08-2017 06:17 PM

I feel like this has been the case for a number of years. Trading between AI just isn't right in historical settings. I'm not sure what causes this, but I think the game has improved on this in more recent versions.

pstrickert 05-08-2017 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatle (Post 4194137)

I have seen teams trade 4 star players for a one two-star player and a minor-league player that is typically a 1 star player, over and over. The game setting is set for 100% accuracy as well. I reverse these trades but the game needs work in this area. I play the game historical setting for the most part so I don’t know if it is the same for 2017.

It'd help if you gave us specifics.

Reed 05-08-2017 10:12 PM

I think it's gotten somewhat better over the years. IMO 80-90% of the time the trades between AI controlled teams kind of make sense but every now and then there is a trade that has me scratching my head. I don't undo them since I figure they will even out over time and real teams make very questionable trades also. I keep trade frequency on low so there won't be to many of them.

Lukas Berger 05-08-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4194278)
I don't undo them since I figure they will even out over time and real teams make very questionable trades also.

Exactly.

Does anyone really expect OOTP to be better than the actual humans who traded Jeff Bagwell for Larry Andersen and Scott Kazmir for Victor Zambrano? Not to mention the thousands of other head-scratching trades that didn't quite descend to that level of awfulness:laugh:

We obviously want to get the ai to be as good as it can be and we work hard on it every version, but stupid trades are just part of baseball, they've always happened and they always will. That's true whether you're dealing with the ai vs the ai or humans dealing with humans.

Not to mention that defining what's "awful" is often very much in the eye of the beholder:)

progen 05-16-2017 11:27 AM

One only has to go as far as to look at the Phillies trades over the years. I'm an old guy, and I still haven't gotten over the Phils sending Fergie Jenkins and Adolfo Phillips to the Cubs for Larry Jackson and Bob Buhl. Once the Cubs converted Jenkins to a starter, he went on to have six straight 20 win seasons.

And then the Phils being the nice guys that they are in helping the listless Cubs, traded Ryne Sandberg for Ivan DeJesus.

And then there's the Reds, who took a cue from the clueless Phils, and traded Frank Robinson to the Orioles, in exchange for pitchers Milt Pappas and Jack Baldschun, and outfielder Dick Simpson.

Even the OOTP AI isn't dumb enough to make those trades!

Reed 05-16-2017 01:24 PM

Yesterday In my historical league just prior to the 1902 season a team traded Honus Wagner straight up for Ed Delahanty. Ed's last good year is 1902 while Honus has about 12 very good years left. That's the breaks of the game but they never make that kind of trade with me (very hard setting).

RchW 05-16-2017 02:57 PM

Vernon Wells @ $26Million for Napoli and Rivera.:ohmy: