OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 17 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3906)
-   -   Preparing for Rule 5 Draft (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=268271)

grmagne 07-06-2016 09:21 AM

Preparing for Rule 5 Draft

1 Attachment(s)
Usually the rule 5 draft goes without a hitch, but every now and then I'll forget to protect a 5-star prospect, which I inevitably lose #1 in the draft.

I basically follow the same procedure each year. I promote players according to my coach's recommendations, along the green arrows.

Then, I look for 3+ star rated players with a "#" symbol in my minor league system to indicate rule 5 draft eligibility. I promote them to the 40-man roster and DFA/release players that I no longer need.

For some reason, I sometimes miss prospects when I use this system. Is there a more reliable way to do this without overlooking any key players?

Cole 07-06-2016 09:35 AM

I don't think you necessarily need a 'system,' just go through each of your minor leagues and every player that has a # next to him, ask yourself if you would care if you lost him? If the answer is no, move on down the list, if the answer is yes, add him to the 40-man if there's space. Once you run out of space, simply prioritize who you would rather keep.

Once complete, make one final spin through the minors, looking for # to ensure you didn't miss anyone.

endgame 07-06-2016 09:42 AM

The Front Office page has a widget for Rule 5 Eligible. I scan the names and hover on as many as patience will allow to see their star potential. Some names, if I've been following a year more closely in the minors, I recognize and they're likely players of a certain merit. I double check those for 40-man status. Be great if that widget showed the stars or ratings, but it doesn't. Can't make a GMs job too easy I guess. :)

frank_olaf 07-06-2016 09:52 AM

I usually add all my rule 5 eligible players to a shortlist and then looks at their potential ratings (I've turned off overall and potential star ratings) and decide then break them down into a few categories.

1. Definitely keep, add to 40 man roster.
2. If there is space, add to 40 man roster, if not try to trade away
3. Try to trade away, if not just leave them unprotected
4. Leave unprotected.

I find trying to make a trade with a couple of my good rule 5 eligible players for a prospect who isn't eligible and isn't on the 40 man roster is a good way to make sure you don't lose potentially good players for nothing.

DustinthePOWERHOUSE 07-06-2016 10:04 AM

I turn it off usually. I can't stand the rule 5 draft. I always forget someone and then I get pissed send him back to my team manually (commish) and then it looks super awkward in his history and if there's a news item.

I know it squashes reality, but I hate the rule 5 draft.

NoOne 07-06-2016 11:17 AM

sort by potential on that screen, then look for "#." If you have to scroll AA/AAA of the minor league boxes, you have a ton of seasoned prospects! I only leave it on so that the ai doesn't hoard older prospects.

i use a larger reso than stars for potential, but you'll still be able to ignore the lower half of the scale.. even the few SP that are in that bunch that you lose have a 50/50 chance of being returned. it's quite rare to have someone below AA requiring a spot on the 40-man, but on occasion it does happen.

also, if the # is covered up, try a smaller text size.

Giants44 07-06-2016 03:53 PM

I have found this easiest way to make sure I don't lose anyone is to simply start the rule 5 draft. If there is anyone that jumps to the top of the list sorted on potential, I simply click on the, to find out what org they are from. If they are from mine, I go in and protect them. Works every time.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

MrBojangles 07-06-2016 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustinthePOWERHOUSE (Post 4060915)
I turn it off usually. I can't stand the rule 5 draft. I always forget someone and then I get pissed send him back to my team manually (commish) and then it looks super awkward in his history and if there's a news item.

I know it squashes reality, but I hate the rule 5 draft.

At least I'm not the only one...

rink23 08-04-2018 06:16 AM

Oops wrong thread

Oops wrong thread

rink23 08-04-2018 06:25 AM

Oops wrong thread

Oops wrong thread

rink23 08-04-2018 06:28 AM

Oops wrong thread

Oops wrong thread

RchW 08-04-2018 09:45 AM

Maybe it's just me but I don't have enough 5 star prospects to ever miss one that was Rule 5 eligible. Most of the time they are already on track to MLB.

Another point is 90% of Rule 5 eligible players are not worth protecting, or, put another way, not worth taking someone off the 40 man to protect.