OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Post your OOTP 14 Storyline-Written Stories here! (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=228030)

cody8200 02-06-2013 09:25 AM

Post your OOTP 14 Storyline-Written Stories here!

Hey guys, the Storyline ideas thread was great but what I really need are some fully written stories that I can program into the storyline editor. While we already have a bunch of new ones for OOTP 14 and I plan on adding a ton more, a different writing perspective is exactly what we need. Don't worry too much about your spelling/grammar. I used to be an editor and can deal with it. If you need ideas for storyline's to write, look at my first post here to see examples of what is/isn't possible.

Here is an example of what I am looking for (this was written last year by one of the beta team):

Frank Firstman Breaks Toe in Post Game Tirade

Be glad you weren't this chair in the clubhouse. Atlanta Braves First Baseman, Frank Firstman, has reportedly broken his toe during a postgame meltdown in the team's clubhouse. Among several items Firstman attacked, the last one made the difference. After kicking a folding chair, Firstman reportedly winced in pain. After examination, it was found that he had broken his big toe. Firstman is expected to miss two months. "I know there are better ways to vent my frustration." Firstman said. "I'll obviously need to work on some of those."

You can also tell me what should happen after the story is told. It could be that Frank's popularity goes down locally and he is now injured for 60 days in this case.

This is important - I will be moving all threads or answers that aren't written stories to the ideas thread. This thread is only for written stories.

Update: 2/7/2013 - Guys, I am loving the articles below and many of them are possible but a few aren't (the father/son baseball story along with the first player from a country story are not currently possible within OOTP for example). If you want to write a story and aren't sure if something is possible or not, please PM me and I can help or you can look here for guidelines.

One point of emphasis this year should be stories based on player's abilities going up or down based on offseason, midseason, spring training, etc occurrences. These things can be specific to pitchers, batters, veterans, younger guys, low quality guys, high quality guys, etc.

IStillDream 02-06-2013 01:42 PM

Oh, this is awesome. Here's my crack at one:

Anytown Star Wrecks One-Of-A-Kind Car

Anytown Dudes star Jim Generic is known for his hard-driving play on the field, but after what happened this week, he should probably drive a little more carefully on the roads. The star outfielder was driving late at night on a winding road and smashed right into a highway barrier. He escaped with only scrapes and bruises and is listed as day-to-day, but the bigger injuries are to his wallet and his pride--the car, which was completely totaled, was a custom-built luxury car valued at half a million dollars. He angrily declined to take questions as he limped out of an Anytown-area hospital last night, but his publicist released the following statement: "Jim is happy to be home with his family, and knows how lucky he is to have escaped nearly unhurt. He will be more careful in future, and he knows that cars, unlike people, can always be replaced." Maybe so, but if he wants to be able to replace this one, he may need to drive a hard bargain when he next comes to the negotiating table.

Effects:
Day-to-Day injury
Downgrades mood two notches.
Increases greed one notch.

cody8200 02-06-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IStillDream (Post 3442266)
Oh, this is awesome. Here's my crack at one:

Anytown Star Wrecks One-Of-A-Kind Car

Anytown Dudes star Jim Generic is known for his hard-driving play on the field, but after what happened this week, he should probably drive a little more carefully on the roads. The star outfielder was driving late at night on a winding road and smashed right into a highway barrier. He escaped with only scrapes and bruises and is listed as day-to-day, but the bigger injuries are to his wallet and his pride--the car, which was completely totaled, was a custom-built luxury car valued at half a million dollars. He angrily declined to take questions as he limped out of an Anytown-area hospital last night, but his publicist released the following statement: "Jim is happy to be home with his family, and knows how lucky he is to have escaped nearly unhurt. He will be more careful in future, and he knows that cars, unlike people, can always be replaced." Maybe so, but if he wants to be able to replace this one, he may need to drive a hard bargain when he next comes to the negotiating table.

Effects:
Day-to-Day injury
Downgrades mood two notches.
Increases greed one notch.

This is exactly what I am looking for! This will be in OOTP 14 - guaranteed. Thanks! (By the way, I know I broke my own rule about posts only being stories).

Quote:

Originally Posted by cody8200 (Post 3442275)
This is exactly what I am looking for! This will be in OOTP 14 - guaranteed. Thanks! (By the way, I know I broke my own rule about posts only being stories).

I'm glad you like it! I'm happy to do a bunch of these if you like, or to work on any more complicated storyline writing that you and Markus need a guy for. I'm a quasi-professional playwright (I've had two shows given performances or readings by pro companies) so I have some experience in this area.

Quote:

Originally Posted by IStillDream (Post 3442277)
I'm glad you like it! I'm happy to do a bunch of these if you like, or to work on any more complicated storyline writing that you and Markus need a guy for. I'm a quasi-professional playwright (I've had two shows given performances or readings by pro companies) so I have some experience in this area.

That would be fantastic!

philliesphan26 02-06-2013 04:08 PM

I'll take a crack at it! Using this as inspiration Y! SPORTS

City Sluggers' Joe Smith shocks nation with decision to leave the game

"City Sluggers 1B Joe Smith is walking away from the game he's been playing his whole life-- to fulfill yet another one of his lifelong dreams. "After an anguishing few months and a lot of sleepless nights, I've come to realize my heart just isn't in the game anymore. It's been a good run and I couldn't be more thankful to my teammates and my coach, who have supported me every step of the way." Smith said he has always wanted to be more involved in his church, and is intending on becoming a missionary and travelling the world to help others. He leaves the game with a career .297 AVG, hitting 121 HR with 433 RBI over a span of 7 seasons."

A couple things:
  • Must have Greed rating of "Low" or "Very Low" (if possible)
  • Doesn't have to be this exact scenario.. he could want to open a car dealership or a restaurant or something else that would involve leaving the game
  • A few months before, maybe there could be a message along the lines of "Sluggers 1B Smith seems more reserved lately, not opening up to reporters as much as he normally does and becoming less of a clubhouse presence by the day. When pressed about his recent personality swing, Smith had little to offer other than he was "going through a lot at the moment" before ending the conversation.

Effects:
  • Player retires from game

Kaaosaste 02-06-2013 05:27 PM

I'll give it a shot. I'm not sure if the effect I have in mind is possible, but I've wanted to see something like this for a while.

Joe Smith Excited for Son to Enter Draft

[Team name's] Joe Smith will have another reason to pay attention to this year's upcoming amateur draft. His son, Joe Smith, Jr, has been garnering attention while playing for [Hometown] high school and is expected to be taken early on. While it's too early to project just where the youngster will end up, the elder Smith is excited nonetheless.
"Joey has grown up around baseball. He was our bat boy a few years back, and I know he learned a lot from being around big league players," said Smith.
When the young standout was asked how he felt about potentially playing on the same team as his father, he had this to say: "I'll be happy playing for which ever team drafts me. But, yeah, I wouldn't mind showing the old man how it's done."

Requirements:
Player age >= 38
ML service time >= 15 years
Preseason/Spring Training

Effect:
Creation of a 17 year old draft eligible player with the same name, with "Jr." appended.

edit: And I'd like to echo IStillDream's sentiments above. I write professionally, and I'd be happy to help out in whatever way I can.

Update from Cody: I would love to do this story but it is currently not possible within the confines of OOTP. I would love any help you can provide.

BaronA 02-06-2013 05:49 PM

Looking forward to more interesting storylines this year.

Indians SP Matt Hayes Retires To Avoid Rigorous Rehab

It's a sad day in baseball as SP Matt Hayes has officially announced his retirement after doctors confirmed his elbow injury would require his 2nd Tommy John surgery in recent years.

At the media press conference, he was asked about this decision. "It's tough to walk away from the game I've always revered, but due to another serious elbow injury, I've decided it's time to part ways with the game. I just wouldn't feel right getting paid to rehab when my heart isn't even in to make a return to the big leagues. I look forward to turning the page to the next chapter of my life. Being able to spend more time my family has played been an integral part in my decision."

Matt Hayes compiled a career record of 92-75 with a 3.65 ERA in his 10 year ML career. He will forfeit his remaining $10 million dollars on the last year of his contract by stepping down to retire.

BaronA 02-06-2013 06:12 PM

Feel free to tweak any of these.

Indians SS Joe Smith Trying To Build Team Chemistry

A local beat writer interviewed SS Joe Smith about their teams recent struggles.

"Our team is slumping right now, we're pressing, pointing fingers at everyone else. We individually have to take responsibility for how we're performing and just be supportive of our teammates. I invited all the guys over to my house for a BBQ to talk about team goals and just be able to ease some of the tension that's been in the clubhouse as of late due to our recent slump."

Smith's veteran leadership should bring some team comraderie, which the club most desperately needs.

Effects.
Morale boost to players? Especially younger unproven guys?

IStillDream 02-06-2013 06:24 PM

Here's one with no imapact on the player's performance, but I'd really like to see it. Hopefully it's possible with the game's engine.

Red Sox callup is first player from Malawi to reach Major Leagues

It's hard enough playing in the Major Leagues when an entire team's fanbase is watching you. Just try doing it when an entire country is watching you too. That's the case for Red Sox Catcher Mphezi Banda, who with his debut this year became the first player from Malawi to play in the majors. Malawi, population approximately 15 million, isn't exactly a baseball hotbed, but within recent years a few travelling baseball clinics have visited the country. Mphezi saw one and knew from that moment that he had to make it to the major leagues. Now his moment has finally come, and he'll do everything he can to not let his country down.

Self-evidently, this would trigger whenever a player reached the majors who was from a country that was not represented in the game's database of players. Since the game includes reasonably detailed information about every country on earth, the promo would just pull the population from that.

Update from Cody: Unfortunately, this is not possible within the storyline editor. OOTP does not track this info within the game, therefore it cannot be reported on in a storyline.

BaronA 02-06-2013 06:39 PM

CF Prospect Joe Smith Retires.

Smith, a former 5th round draft selection has retired from baseball to pursue other interests.

"When I was drafted, I thought I was ready for the responsibility of being a professional athlete. My parents urged me to go to college, but I took their advice with a grain of salt, a colossal mistake on my part. I don't want to miss out on the college experience. I've been offered a basketball scholarship and I'm looking forward to trading in my cleats for sneakers."

Effect:
Nothing. But maybe high school players should should be riskier? More likely for a retirement 1-2 years in as opposed to a kid that grinded it out playing college baseball for 3-4 years.

IStillDream 02-06-2013 06:47 PM

And here's two for retired players. The first would trigger for a former player who had high leadership.

The Honorable Congressman Varitek? Former Red Sox Great Running for Office

Former Red Sox catcher Jason Varitek was known throughout his career as a leader on the field and in the clubhouse, but if things go his way he might soon be known as a leader in Congress as well. The three-time all star announced at a rally in his home state of Michigan that he is throwing his cap into the ring as a candidate for the U.S. House of Representatives. His speech promised to "help lead this nation into a new era of progress and possibility," but didn't go into many policy specifics. Former teammates, however, say this is no vanity project--he apparently would frequently talk politics in the locker room, and they say they're excited to see what their old teammate can do in the political arena.

And here's one for a retired player with high scores in intelligence.

Hardball Scholar: Mussina aiming for PHD

In recent years, celebrities as diverse as Natalie Portman, James Franco, and Brian May have shown their intellectual sides by earning degrees in subjects as diverse as Quantum Physics and English Literature. Now, a promiminent former Baseball player is joining them: former Yankees great Mike Mussina has announced he's entering a PHD program at Columbia University. While most ex-ballplayers start buisninesses, open restaurants, or stay in the game as coaches or analysts, Mussina says he relishes the chance to continue his education. "I always tried to read and keep up on things while I was playing," he said, "but since I retired I've really been able to devote myself to learning, and this seemed like the next logical step." And while it might seem like his classmates would have a hard time playing it cool while sitting in a classroom with a superstar athelete, he says he's the nervous one: "a lot of these kids are coming right from getting their undergrad degrees, or from seriously intilectual jobs. I've got a lot more rust to shake off." If he attacks the books the way he attacked opposing hitters, though, we're sure he has nothing to worry about.

More specifically, this one would need to look for players who are listed as having come from college, rather than high school. The school they're going to for the PHD could be the one they already attended, or picked at random from the database. (Also, "opposing hitters" would obviously change to "opposing pitchers" for a non-pitcher).

Kaaosaste 02-06-2013 06:59 PM

More than one sport can be used for this. I'm only including the requirements for basketball, but similar requirements can be used for football (must be SP, velocity => 95 mph), hockey (must be Canadian), etc.

Top Prospect Decides on Career Change

Top prospect Joe Smith has decided to leave baseball behind to pursue a career in basketball. Smith, who was listed as number X on the most recent edition of Baseball Prospectus's Top Prospects will hang up his spikes at the end of this season. He's received a scholarship from [Div I college] to play basketball. A three sport star in high school, Smith was taken as the [pick] overall pick in the [year] draft. By all accounts, he could have gone either route when he graduated, but he chose baseball.
"I was more surprised than anything to be taken so early, but my heart has always been in basketball. I got an offer to play for [college] and I want to see where that leads me while I'm still young," said Smith, in an interview last night. The [height] [position] will leave the [team] with only speculations of what might have been.

Requirements:
Age <= 19
Height >= 6'6"
Time as a professional <= 2 years
Drafted in the first round
Top 100 prospect

Effects:
Player retires.

BaronA 02-06-2013 08:45 PM

Fantasy Football Draft.

SS Joe Smith Hosts Fantasy Football Draft Party

The Indians veteran SS Joe Smith is hosting this year's fantasy football team draft later this month.

When a local reporter asked him about this, he had some interesting comments.

"A lot of the teammates have partaken in this activity in the past and it leads to players staying in even better touch during the offseason. A lot of ribbing and friendly banter during the winter months gives us even more incentive to stay in contact with one another. They won't hear the end of it when I run up the score on them, that can be assured."

Effects: Someone when high leadership ability should be chosen for this. Add a little morale to the players that take part in the league.

Kaaosaste 02-06-2013 09:48 PM

Jim Smith to Try Experimental Eye Surgery

[Team] has announced that [position] Jim Smith has elected to undergo an experimental -- and potentially dangerous -- eye surgery to correct his failing vision. The procedure, which will be performed by world renowned Korean ophthalmologist Seung-soo Kim, has yet to be performed on a human being. Dr. Kim is quoted as saying, "We've performed the surgery -- successfully I might add -- on rats, several pigs, and, most recently, a rhesus monkey."
Due to pronounced astigmatism, the more common LASIK eye surgery is not possible for Smith.
"I really feel like this is my last option. I've progressed as much as I can given my current vision, and I really want to take my game to the next level," said Smith at yesterday's press conference.
Dr. Kim and the team trainers have estimated Smith's recovery at four to six weeks. Provided the surgery goes as planned.

Requirements:
Player age >= 27 (so the player is close to his potential, and this is a last ditch effort to improve)
Player eye rating <= 3 (1-10 scale)

Effect:
Player is injured from three to eight weeks (uncertainty of the procedure)
Player sees a significant increase in eye rating
or
Player sees a significant decrease in eye rating

mirrf 02-06-2013 11:09 PM

John Smith files for bankruptcy

San Diego Padres outfielder John Smith filed for bankruptcy this morning in a San Diego court. According to the Chapter 7 filing, Mr. Smith owes more than $5.5 back child support and alimony. Among the other debts include close to a million dollars in back taxes. As for assets, the outfielder listed a chain of failed restaurants and over 2 million dollars in Rolex watches.
John has been quoted as saying: “What can I tell you? Those timepieces are the epitome of class. I can't say anything about my financial situation, go through my lawyer.”

Effect:
Greed increases.

BaronA 02-07-2013 01:58 AM

Charity Poker Tournament

Offseason Storyline

KC's CF Mike Williams has been active in the local community this winter. He organized a poker tournament to raise money for the charity "Chain Of Hope".

Williams commented to a local journalist. "I have to thank my teammates, as well as all the amazing folks from the surrounding area that attended my event. I've always had a soft spot in my heart for animals, and it's a blessing to be able to help the cause.

"I plan to make this poker tournament an annual event every year. You don't have to twist too many arms to get a good turn out for a fun social event like this."

Effect: Maybe a small boost to leadership ability? Being able to organize the event. Local Popularity increases with this gesture.

BaronA 02-07-2013 02:29 AM

Melee Breaks Out In Locker Room!

A melee breaks out in Indians Clubhouse after their 7th consecutive loss.

1B Ryan Meadows and RF Rod Williams had to be restrained by teammates when punches were thrown. It's reported that Meadows believes some of his teammates had been dogging it as of late. He called out Williams for not hustling in today's game and tempers flared in the locker room.

A local columnist caught up with Rod Williams after the incident had cooled off. Can you explain what led to this skirmish in the clubhouse? " As you know our club is struggling, Ryan takes losing very personally. We had a heated discussion that lead to some punches being thrown. I'm just glad it's over with and no one was seriously hurt. I'm embarrassed by my actions and I hope the organization can forgive me for this foolish act on my part."

It's clear that Williams threw the first punch, but Meadows was relentless in his insults regarding his teammates recent play.

Decision: Bench Williams x amount of games
Bench Meadows x amount of games
Bench Both.
Effect: Morale declines considerably to players if benched. Other teammates could also be effected depending on the action taken. Not only are you losing their production, but this could cost you a possible extension down the road.

If you choose to sweep the incident under the rug.. other teammates may be effected in a negative way. Losing control of the clubhouse potentially leads to players complaining about their roles or their current contract? etc

BaronA 02-07-2013 05:51 AM

White Sox C James White Mentoring Up and Coming Prospect

Offseason Story. This works best for a young promising prospect in the low minors.

It's been reported that grizzled veteran James White has been working with minor league prospect Glen Foster this offseason.

They were acquainted shortly after Foster was drafted and White has decided to take him under his wing and give him guidance in mastering the art of catching.

Foster called in to a local sports radio station and was asked about what White has meant to his development thus far? " For him to reach out to me, to help transform me into a better baseball player this winter proves what kind of man he is. I look up to him and what he's accomplished in his career. He remembers certain veterans helping him as a young player, and he wants to pay it forward. The integral focus of our workouts together were to help shore up my receiving skills. He's a great teacher and I can't thank him enough for the strides I'm making in becoming a well rounded player."

Effect: White's Leadership and Loyalty Goes up.
Foster: Catchers Ability healthy increase.

Kaaosaste 02-07-2013 01:15 PM

Aging Hurler Turns to Tai Chi to Revitalize Career

Jim Smith may have found the fountain of youth in martial arts, specifically Tai Chi. Smith has had plenty of success, starting [games started at ML level] games over his career, but the wear and tear of being a major league pitcher has begun to take its toll on the [age] year old's body, a process which Smith hopes to hinder by practicing the ancient martial art.
"It's a very spiritual process. Lot's of meditation and visualization. I feel better and stronger than I have in years!"
No one's ever accused Smith of being an elite pitcher, but with the new daily routine, he looks to contribute at the ML level for a few more years.

Requirements:
Age => 34
ML service time => 10 years
Stuff and Movement =< 7 (1-10)
Weight >= 220

Effects:
Increase to control rating
Weight decrease

edited to reflect storyline limitations

BaronA 02-07-2013 01:32 PM

OF Chad Matthews of the Cincinnati Reds was placed On the Bereavement List today.

Matthews wife has gone into labor and he's at the hospital to attend the birth of their first born child.

He'll return to the clubhouse a reinvigorated man, after 3 days spent with his wife and new born.

Effect: Maybe his morale regarding his role on the team or performance spikes due to the exhilaration of being a new father.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BaronA (Post 3442661)
OF Chad Matthews of the Cincinnati Reds was placed On the Bereavement List today.

Matthews wife has gone into labor and he's at the hospital to attend the birth of their first born child.

He'll return to the clubhouse a reinvigorated man, after 3 days spent with his wife and new born.

Effect: Maybe his morale regarding his role on the team or performance spikes due to the exhilaration of being a new father.

Requirements:
Age >= 21 (to be old enough to feasibly be married)

(Also, "newborn" is one word.)

Kaaosaste 02-07-2013 01:46 PM

(This one is a twist on BaronA's story above)

Chance Encounter with HOF'er Reaps Rewards for Young Pitcher

At a charity event last week, young prospect Jim Smith happened to meet Hall of Fame pitcher Bob Jones. The two spoke for no more than fifteen minutes, but Smith came away from the conversation a changed player. Jones is regarded as arguably the most dominant pitcher of his day, and he was able to impart some wisdom to Smith.
"Everyone knows Bob Jones was a beast on the mound. The guy put up [Jones's career strikeouts] strikeouts! I asked him, jokingly, if he had any tips, and, boy, did he ever." When probed further about just what Jones said to him, Smith was decidedly tight lipped. "It's not something I want my opponents to benefit from," he said with a smirk.
Whatever Jones did say, Smith has improved my leaps and bounds. Expect to see markedly improved strikeout numbers from him going forward.

Smith requirements:
SP
Age <= 20
Stuff <= 6

Jones requirements:
Retired SP
55 >= Age =< 85
Member of HOF
Stuff >= 10

Effects:
Smith gains significant increase to stuff rating

edited to reflect storyline limitations