OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   iOOTP - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3834)
-   -   Warming up pitchers (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=211252)

Tom the Fish 07-01-2011 04:13 AM

Warming up pitchers

Are we supposed to be warming up pitchers when we play out our games? I don't see anyway to do that, but I'm finding my relievers are often walking the first two or three batters they face before (sometimes) settling down.

Tom the Fish 07-02-2011 06:50 PM

Bumping since it's been a few days with no reply.

phillupi 07-02-2011 08:49 PM

There is no way or need to warm up pitchers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom the Fish 07-02-2011 08:51 PM

OK, then I can blame my crappy bullpen. Thanks.

Nighthawk42 07-03-2011 12:59 AM

I've noticed that in games where either I play them out of sim them while watching (via Half Inning/Inning) that there seem to be a lot more walks than "normal", for both my bullpen and the opponent. Could just be poor perception, though.

Tom the Fish 07-03-2011 07:33 AM

I wonder. I'm starting to keep track. In the 5 games I played today on the train, I made 8 pitching changes and only once did a reliever retire the lead-off man. The other seven times the first two batters, if not more, reached base. 16 walks, 5 hit by pitches, 3 infield hits, 5 hits (singles) combined before an out was made in these five games.

Of course, my bullpen isn't _that_ good, but it ain't _that_ awful either. I really need to teach these guys to throw strikes. With all the walks, I really feel like they are coming in cold.

Anyway, it's a small sample size, but it's all I got right now.

Raz Algool 07-03-2011 11:57 AM

My approach is to get rid of bullpen guys with control ratings under 11. I'll sacrifice stuff for control in the pen. I also noticed (15 seasons under my belt) that movement matters too- a guy with sub-.500 movement , even if his stuff is 18-20, gets hit pretty good. I rank it control-movement-stuff in terms of importance.

Nighthawk42 07-03-2011 01:18 PM

Groundball % - the higher the better. 65%+ is what I like to aim for. My guys right now are 72%+. Just make sure you have a good defensive infield.

Tom the Fish 07-20-2011 08:39 PM

I'm going to bump this because I still have a nagging feeling that something is wrong here. My relievers rarely retire the first two batters, almost always with at least a lead-off walk, followed with a walk, a hbp and infield single (?!) or a double. This has happened with 2 different teams. I'm afraid to go to my bullpen, but since this has happened in 2004, there ain't much for complete games. (Atlanta, Montreal, btw)

I decided to try an inaugural draft in 2004 so I could pick my bullpen. On a scale of 10, everyone has control=>7. I'll see what happens, but if anyone has similar results, please post.

Thanks,
Tom

Supernovae 07-20-2011 08:50 PM

Does the OOTP (pc/Mac) version have a "warm-up" pitcher feature?

Tom the Fish 07-20-2011 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Supernovae (Post 3176939)
Does the OOTP (pc/Mac) version have a "warm-up" pitcher feature?

Yes it does. It's optional, though, and the computer does not follow the rule whether you turn it on or not.

Tom

Supernovae 07-20-2011 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tom the Fish (Post 3176951)
Yes it does. It's optional, though, and the computer does not follow the rule whether you turn it on or not.

Tom

Hmm - Well, I definitely feel the same way that it feels like my relievers need time to warm up since I experience the same thing where my relievers generally walk/allow a hit or two before settling down.

Anthropoid 02-25-2015 03:09 PM

If the AI doesn't use the warmup rule, then what is the point of the human using it? Unless you just want to handicap yourself against the AI?

I've not played much at all, but I'm noticing that even after being drug down into the bullpen for 20 to 25 pitches my relief pitcher is still showing Status COLD.