OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - Fictional Simulations (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3966)
-   -   My Fictional Sports Universe (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305358)

Tiger Fan 07-20-2019 11:47 AM

My Fictional Sports Universe

Like many of you, since discovering OOTP many, many years ago - and even before that going back to programs like Lance Haffner games or dice games like APBA- I have played and enjoyed a number of other text-based sim games in a wide variety of sports. I have chronicalled many of my different dynasty's on this board and others including a few that combined multiple sports. I love playing pretty much any text-based sports game and the perfect mod, or stand-alone program for that matter, for me would be one that combined all the major sports in one universe. I would love to see something that would allow me to take the stats and news articles generated from my OOTP league and intermingle them with my FHM league and my football and basketball replays. Imagine a game where we could have cross-over athletes so that when OOTP says in a storyline that a player quit baseball for football they actually show up as a player in your football sim. I am sure that is too much to ask but it doesn't stop me from trying to replicate it in my solo sims.

I have been running an OOTP sim for a couple of months that I started in 1901. It matches up nicely with an old BBCF sim I had been playing off and on for several years and an FHM5 fictional sim I started a while back. I had been kind of thinking of those sims as a concurrent universe with all the sports running at the same time. The universe got a little broader when I was able to track down my old license codes for Total Pro Golf and Pro Football Simulator. I use PFS, even though it is very old, because it is the only game I know that allows me to import my BBCF college draft classes and I can also customize it's league allignment. So I have been running all of these games at roughly the same time period to mimic a multi-sports universe.

That universe expanded recently when I picked up a copy of Fast Break College Basketball and Fast Break Pro Basketball as they were each on sale for $15. Now, I have never been a big basketball fan but I can't believe I never tried these two games before. The amount of customization you can do easily rivals OOTP and the learning curve was very easy. I quickly made a college basketball mod with the conferences of the 1920s and mapped out very easily how the league can add schools and conferences as it progresses through the decades.

So now I have baseball, hockey, college and pro football and basketball, as well as golf all running in a similar time period and all loosely based as historical leagues but within a completely fictional player universe. I am going to do a dynasty report with baseball as the primary focus but I will also talk about happenings in other sports as well during the same time period. I might even throw some boxing in if I can get my old TBCB game to work properly.

I act as the commissioner and just sim for the hockey and baseball. For the golf I have a golfer created who is average, good enough to play on the tour but I won't be a contender in most tournaments so I will rarely if ever write about him and instead will focus on the greats of the game. The college football and college basketball are a little different in that I had been running teams in both. Which gave me the idea that I am acting as the athletic director of a school. I had taken over Oklahoma of the Missouri Valley Conference in 1911 in college basketball and as soon as I catch up to BBCF (which is in 1914 now) I will take over the Sooners in that league as well - unless Oklahoma hoops fires me before then. When we catch up to the baseball, which is in 1915 now, I will also oversee the college baseball program of the school I am running in the other two sports.

So I guess this dynasty is a multi-sport fictional-historical journey of a college athletic director running a baseball, basketball and football program while also acting as a reporter covering professional sports. Some of these saves, like the college football league, I started two or three years ago and have been slowly playing so updates may be sporadic at times but I am thinking this will be a universe I can revisit over time.

Tiger Fan 07-20-2019 12:59 PM

My dynasty begins in 1901 for all of the sports except for golf which I started in the mid-1890's using an old sim I found on my backup drive that I did about 4 years ago and it was in 1910 now. I am going to pick-up my recaps beginning in 1901 though. The leagues are alligned like this:

BASEBALL - I have a standard 16 team major league with real team names. Each club has 4 levels of minors and there are a few extra minor league teams scattered through the league's that are unaffiliated. There are also two independent leagues with one based in Mexico and one in Canada. The independents do get some local players each year but the vast majority of the talent comes from a 72 team NCAA feeder league. The league is divided into 8 conferences that play a 120 game schedule strictly within their conference as they battle to earn a spot in the 16 team College World Series. I originally had a high school level feeder league as well but in testing there were far too many players coming in to the league each year so I deleted the high school league and lowered the college ages a year or two. The file itself is a slightly modified version of one of the two quick starts I shared here

HOCKEY - A pseudo historical version of the early days of hockey starts with a 6 team league of Canadian teams but will eventually expand and relocate some teams to include the Original Six plus two. It is real team names but entirely fictional players like each of the other sports.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL
- There was an old 1970s mod made for BBCF many years ago. Several years back I tinkered with it a bit to make it closer to the 1930s. I started my league in 1901 many years ago and have played it slowly off-and-on for years always running a team. While the gameplay can't be adjusted to 1930s style football, the team names and top clubs started out as being designed to mimic it so there will be different schools like the University of San Francisco, Texas Mines and Sewanee playing in this league and the conference alignment's are decidedly old school. No ACC or SEC instead many of those teams can be found in the Southern Conference. The SWC is still active and there are many independents including powerhouses Notre Dame and Army. I also used a OOTP 1900s-1950s names file to mod the names of my BBCF athletes to be more era appropriate.

PRO FOOTBALL
- I just restarted my pro football league as I found the draft class exports for BBCF seniors beginning in 1909. The plan is to run a league from 1909-1919 that folds and then I will import the player pool into my NFL when it debuts in 1920. This means there is no initial pool of created players in the NFL. All are from my BBCF league.

GOLF - as mentioned in the first post I started my golf solo career many years ago and recently discovered the save along with all of my old course files. It's 1911 in this world so it will blend in nicely with the other sports. I will try to play an occasional tournament but the recaps will be brief and focused primarily on the majors.

COLLEGE BASKETBALL- I mentioned in the previous post that I love FBCB. It is so easy to mod and the only limitation is I don't believe I can eliminate schools that drop out of D1 so the only restriction is once I had a school it stays forever. Using that, I found a great 1953 league mod and worked back to the early 1920s where I was going to start my league and then add teams and change conferences according to history. But I decided I wanted to start in 1901 and have a history like my other sports so I kept the same 1922 alignment and will use it from 1901 until I pass 1922. I am having a blast playing this game and I am not really much of a basketball fan, but the recruiting is addictive. It is easy to learn the basics but very hard to master so I will see how my Oklahoma Sooners fare now that I have taken the helm after simming from 1901 to 1909 to build a bit of a league history.

PRO BASKETBALL - FBPB2013 is just as easy to mod and supports multiple leagues. (Why can't someone make a football series just like this) I did a little research nd there were several regional based pro leagues in the first half of the 20th century before the NBA was born. I am using a combination of teams from them to create my Eastern Professional Basketball League. I will sim only in this league. It is strictly there for me to track the careers of college stars after they graduate.

So that is a quick backstory. Next up will be 1901. If you want to know more about any of my league setups, or some of the games, feel free to ask.

BirdWatcher 07-20-2019 01:11 PM

This is a concept I love! I am sure I could never manage to maintain it all but something like this is often in the back of my mind.
I will enjoy following along.

Tiger Fan 07-20-2019 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BirdWatcher (Post 4517260)
This is a concept I love! I am sure I could never manage to maintain it all but something like this is often in the back of my mind.
I will enjoy following along.

Thanks. I expect updates will likely be off and on unless I get into a lot of detail on my college basketball and football coaching careers as the other sports are pretty much quick sim.

I actually started the golf game in 2014 and the college football save around the same time but got away from them for a while. I dug them out again recently and started the saves up again. Funny thing is I had some written text file recaps in each of their save folders chronicling previous seasons. I will use some of that in bringing things up to where I am now.

I guess only the baseball and hockey will be in danger of becoming obsolete as new versions of the game come out, but I guess I could always convert the baseball league to OOTP21 next year.

Tiger Fan 07-20-2019 01:53 PM

1901 BASEBALL RECAP

Baseball will get the bulk of the attention in these recaps but it won't focus entirely on the major leagues as I have grown very attached to following the college feeder league and it's NCAA basketball style College World Series format. I should also add that this league does not play deadball-era style ball as I set the modifiers to mimic the 1950s.

NCAA
The big story in college baseball was the incredible season put up by freshman Jason Sawyer. The 17 year old Arizona outfielder won the triple crown (.389,65,141) with a truly dominating season and helped the Wildcats tie Michigan State for the best record in the entire NCAA.

In addition to Arizona in the Pac 10 and Michigan State in the Big 10, the other conference winners were Florida in the SEC, Maryland in the ACC, Rice in the Southwest Conference, Brown in the Ivy League, Oklahoma State in the Big 8 and Penn State claimed the Big East title.

THE TOURNAMENT
The College World Series is set up as a 16 team tournament featuring the 8 conference champions and the next 8 teams with the best overall record. It begins with 4 regional double round-robin tournaments with the top two teams from each region advancing to the quarterfinals or Elite Eight. We then go to best-of-three series' to narrow us down to four teams and then the final two with the championship series also being a best-of-three affair.

The brackets for the 1901 NCAA Tournament were as follows:
Code:

EAST REGION

ACC champ        Maryland Terrapins        80-46
IVY champ        Brown Bears                79-47
At Large 8        Syracuse Orangemen        70-56
At Large 1        Columbia Lions                77-49

SOUTH REGION

SEC champ        Florida Gators                75-51
Big East champ        Penn State Nittany Lions 79-47
At Large 4        Georgia Bulldogs        71-55
At Large 5        Baylor Bears                73-53

MIDWEST REGION

Big10 champ        Michigan State Spartans        88-38
Big 8 champ        Oklahoma State Cowboys        68-58
At Large 2        Washington Huskies        76-50
At Large 7        Virginia Tech Gobblers        70-56

WEST REGION

PAC10 champ        Arizona Wildcats        86-38
SWC champ        Rice Owls                75-51
At Large 3        Rutgers Scarlet Knights  71-55
At Large 6        TCU Horned Frogs        72-54

Despite their dominant regular season the Arizona Wildcats did not advance out of the West Region as Jason Sawyer, while he did hit .318, was held without a homerun in the 6 games. The Wildcats ended up with a 3-3 record while the two Southwest Conference clubs, Rice and TCU, each advanced by going 4-2. A pair of Ivy League clubs came out of the East Region as Columbia and Brown advanced. Michigan State, Virginia Tech, Penn State and Baylor round out the Elite Eight.

The Final Four would have 3 teams from the same conference as Rice, TCU and Baylor all moved on and were joined by Penn State. Both semi-finals were sweeps with Rice and Baylor advancing to the first-ever College World Series finals.

Rice was led by it's pitching staff which was anchored by 18 year old Ron Conner (24-8, 1.96), who led the NCAA in victories during the season and was 3-0 with a 1.73 era in four post-season starts. Baylor was a much more offensive minded club led by senior 1B Seth Keller (.286,35,101) and junior second baseman Jose Estrada (.353,33,96).

Homeruns by Keller and Zeb Cromwell paced Baylor to a 6-3 victory in the series opener but Rice evened the series thanks to a 5-hit complete game from Ron Conner in Game Two to lead the Owls to a 2-1 victory. Game Three was a slugfest won 10-4 by Rice in a contest that saw 6 homeruns including a pair from Rice outfielder Armando Reyes.

https://i.imgur.com/bA4OWl0.jpg

Here are the top ten selections in the 1901 MLB draft

https://i.imgur.com/mjM25qZ.jpg

MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON

The Boston Red Sox, led by the game's first offensive superstar, easily claimed the American League pennant in the league's inaugural year. Washington mounted a bit of a challenge in early August but in the end Boston bats, led by Craig Hill (.338,40,130), proved too much for the rest of the American League. Hill, a 24 year old shortstop, led the majors in homers and rbi's and finished second in the American League in batting average to teammate Donovan Hudson (.351,1,47). Hill was the anchor of a powerful middle of the Red Sox lineup that also included Matt Davis (.313,30,113), Danny Robinson (.237,32,103) and Matt Ritchie (.225,26,78). 31 year old Chris Tidwell (20-8, 2.85) paced a Red Sox pitching staff that was middle of the pack in the American League.

While the American League pennant race belonged solely to the Red Sox, 4 teams were in the thick of the National League race until 3 of them faded in September. It was the Cincinnati Reds, at 87-67, who emerged victorious finishing with a 5 game bulge on second place St Louis. The Reds did have some decent hitters including 29 year old first baseman Patrick Stoneberg (.341,24,80), 27 year old third baseman Chad Eggers (.339,25,111) and 39 year old outfielder David Layne (.326,29,79) but there strength was a balanced pitching staff led by the old guard in 38 year old Francisco Hermida (19-8, 2.63) and 40 year old reliever David Sutherland (22sv, 2.44).
https://i.imgur.com/pqah9DZ.jpg

WORLD SERIES
The World Series would feature a veteran Reds team that looks like it has a very small window to win a title against a Red Sox club that has a core that could challenge for several World Series crowns.

Boston took the series opener on the road by an 8-6 score as Ritchie and Davis each homered early to chase Cincinnati ace Hermida after just 2 innings. The Reds would get a stellar pitching effort from Austin Kerin (14-14, 3.78) in Game Two and even the series with a 2-1 victory.

More Boston fireworks in Game Three as Davis hit his second homer of the series and Hill added a 3-run shot in a 10-5 Boston victory. American League batting champ Donovan Hudson was the star of Game Four, delivering a pair of doubles and driving in 4 runs to power the Red Sox to a 5-2 win and a 3 games to one series lead. Felix Hermida kept Cincinnati alive by combining with closer David Sutherland on a 4-hit shutout to give the Reds a 4-0 victory in Game Five and send the series back to Cincinnati.

Matt Davis hit his third homerun of the series for Boston in Game Six but Reds 39 year old outfielder David Layne also hit his third of the series - but it was a grand slam and helped the Reds force Game Seven with a 7-2 victory.

Boston ace Charlie Tidwell took over in Game Seven, holding the Reds to 1 run on five hits in going the distance for a series winning 5-1 victory. Danny Robinson and catcher Gabe Ruiz (.241,15,61) each drove in a pair to pace the Boston offense.

After hitting .393 (11-for-28) with 6 rbi's and 7 runs scored, Boston lead-off man Donovan Hudson was named the Series MVP.

https://i.imgur.com/1Te1BcT.jpg

OTHER NOTES

Minor league champions were as follows:
Code:

LEAGUE                        CHAMPION                PARENT CLUB

American Association  Kansas City Blues        Independent
International League  Toronto Maple Leafs        Phi Athletics
Pacific Coast League  Oakland Oaks                Independent
Southern Association  Birmingham Barons        Phi Athletics
Texas League              Oklahoma City Indians        Cleveland
Eastern League              Elmira Pioneers                StL Browns
SALLY League              Columbia Reds                Cincinnati
Three I League              Quincy Gems                Independent
Interstate League      Wilmington Blue Rocks        Independent
West Texas-New Mex L  Lamesa Lobos                Independent

Tiger Fan 07-20-2019 04:30 PM

1901 other sports

Here is a look at what happened beyond baseball in the sports world in 1901.

HOCKEY

In what would be the forefather of the National Hockey League, The Upper and Lower Canada League (ULCHL) began play in 1901-02 with 6 teams and a 40 game schedule. The Montreal Wanderers, led by 31 year old center Joseph Matheson, would claim the first league title. Matheson led the league in goals with 24 and points with 57, standards that would continue to be the league's best even a decade later.

Code:

ULCHL STANDINGS 1901-02
TEAM                        GP  W  L  T PTS

Montreal Wanderers      40  27  8  5  59
Montreal Canadiens      40  18 13  9  45
Toronto Tecumsehs        40  18 17  5  41
Toronto Ontarios        40  15 19  6  36
Quebec Bulldogs                40  12 22  6  30
Ottawa Senators                40  12 23  5  29

SCORING LEADERS            TM      GP  G  A  PTS

Joseph Matheson            MonW    40 24 33  57
Theodore Poitras    MonW    36 16 26  42
Sailor Hilborn      MonC    40 18 19  37
Alex Gelinas        MonW    35  8 29  37
Red Daley          HAM    37  8 26  34
Bennett Hillman            TorO    40 16 14  30

The playoff for the Stanley Cup would be a best two out of three affair between the top two finishers. In an all-Montreal final the Wanderers beat the Canadiens in 3 games despite regular season scoring champ Matheson being kept off the scoresheet in the series. Wanderers 38 year old winger Roy Harker was named the Series MVP after he scored 3 goals and 7 points in the 3 contests.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

It was tough trying to mod a 1900's era alignment with any game so I did the best I could with Bowl Bound by creating conference setups like they were in the 1940s. It is now a 10 year old program but for me still a lot of fun to play and surprisingly nothing newer has anywhere near the ease of customization that BBCF allows. I can't eliminate teams and bring new ones in after I start but can adjust conferences to whatever setup (with some restrictions) that I want. So here is what happened in 1901.

We actually had 4 teams go 13-0 in 1901 led by National Champion winning Notre Dame. The Irish faced MVC winner Missouri in the Orange Bowl and completed their perfect season with a 35-20 victory. San Francisco, another independent, was also 13-0 and finished second in the AP Poll after beating Penn State 16-14 in the Gator Bowl.

Rose Bowl and Pacific Coast Conference winner Washington was also unbeaten. The 13-0 Huskies finished 3rd in both the media and coaches poll after edging Western Conference champion Michigan (10-3) 17-16 in the Rose Bowl. The final unbeaten team was North Carolina, which ran the table in the Southern Conference before beating Minnesota(11-2) in the Sugar Bowl.

Other bowl winners included independent Army improving to 10-3 on the season with a 24-21 win over Oklahoma in the Citrus Bowl, while Texas Mines, which upset California of the Pacific Coast Conference 35-33 in the Cotton Bowl to finish with a 12-1 record.

Code:

AP COLLEGE FOOTBALL TOP TWENTY RANKINGS
    SCHOOL                RECORD  COACHES POLL

1 Notre Dame                13-0            1       
 2 San Francisco        13-0        7   
 3 Washington                13-0        3
 4 North Carolina        13-0        2
 5 Texas Mines                12-1        5
 6 Chicago                9-3        14
 7 Minnesota                11-2        8
 8 Michigan                10-3        15
 9 Drake                10-2        10
10 Northwestern                10-2        6
11 Georgia                11-2        4
12 New York Univ.        9-3        12
13 Washington(Mo)        10-2        9
14 Sewanee                9-3        18
15 Army                        10-3        13
16 West Virginia        10-2        11
17 Alabama Polytech        9-3        25
18 Oklahoma                10-3        17
19 Duke                        9-3        16
20 Furman                9-3        19

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

While a majority of the schools still played a haphazard schedule as independents, the college game began to organize itself in 1901 with 6 conferences being formed including the Western Conference (now the Big 10), the Ivy Group, Southern Conference, Southwest Conference and the Pacific Coast Conference. The Conferences ranged in size from as few as 3 teams in the Mountain State Athletic Conference (Colorado, Colorado A&M and Denver) to as large a group as 12 teams in the Southern Conference.

In addition the first organized national championship was held as the top 32 clubs in the nation, including each of the conference winners, participated in a single elimination tournament in March.

The Kentucky Wildcats would lead the polls and be favoured entering the tournament, but after a first round win over Columbia, Kentucky's season came to an abrupt end when they were upended 87-79 but 5th seed Utah in the South Regional semi-final. The national champion would be Bradley as the Braves capped a 32-2 season with a 79-64 win over Indiana in the title game. Senior center Dick Hague, who was the National Player of the Year, paced the Braves in the title game with 20 points and 15 rebounds. Holy Cross and Duquesne were the other two schools to reach the final four.

Here are the final four results, the 25 and the list of Award winners.

https://i.imgur.com/7OwSE09.jpg

PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL

After several years of small semi-pro basketball leagues several of those organizations along the eastern seaboard banded together to form the first Professional Basketball League. The loop, dubbed the Eastern Basketball Association began play in 1901-02 with 8 clubs playing a 56 game schedule.

Code:

1901 EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS
EAST DIVISION                W  L  GB

Millville Glass Blowers 37 19  -
New York Wanderers        27 29  10.0
Bristol Pile Drivers        25 31  22.0
Trenton Nationals        23 33  14.0
[b]
WEST DIVISION                W  L  GB
Paterson Crescents        41 15  -
Pittsburgh Homesteaders 25 31  16.0
Camden Skeeters                25 31  16.0
Phil. Bicycle Club        21 35  20.0

The Paterson Crsecents and Millville Glass Blowers dominated their respective divisions, and were the only clubs to finish above .500. Patterson had the league's best offense led by guards Manual Thomas (15.0 ppg) and Austin Jewell (11.6) while the Glass Blowers relied on the league's tallest player, 7'0" center Giorgio D'Amato who averaged 15.8 ppg and and 8.2 rpg to earn the league MVP award.

The Crescents swept the best of five championship series to claim the first Eastern Basketball Association title. None of the games were close as Paterson won by scores of 75-60, 72-57 and 85-65. with Paterson center Bobby Parker being named playoff MVP almost solely because of his work neutralizing D'Amato.

GOLF

My main focus on golf will be updating the results of each of the 4 majors. In reality there should only be two majors at this time as the PGA Championship didn't start until around 1916 and The Masters was first held in the 1930s. However, I did not know what removing these two majors would do to the modified schedule file I made a few years ago for my old TPG2 golf game so they are in. Plus, I really enjoying playing the Augusta course in the game, although the golfer I control has yet to play for a major.

In 1901 we had 4 different golfers win a major with two of them claiming their first major title (I started this golf replay in 1896) . The Masters winner was Canadian Hayden Gallant, who needed a playoff to snap a 3-way tie with Clem Jordan and Gus Carlson. Jordan, who would win 2 events this year, ended up as the leading money winner on the tour.
Code:

1901 MASTERS LEADERBOARD
NAME                    NAT  SC  MONEY

Hayden Gallant  Can  +3  $1,619
Clem Jordan        US  +3  $990
Gus Carlson    US  +3  $990
Thomas Milne    Scot +5  $450
Ike Hill        US  +5  $450
Hod Warren      US  +6  $341

Redstone CC in Houston was the site of the second major of the season and once again Clem Jordan was in the running but finished third as veteran Calvin Baumgartner ran away with the tournament. Baumgarter, who has 2 other major titles under his belt (1898 & 1899 British Opens) ran away with the tournament and won by 10 strokes.
Code:

1901 US OPEN LEADERBOARD

Cal Baumgartner US  -4  $1,799
Rip Olson        US  +6  $1,100
Clem Jordan        US  +8    $800
Nelson Finley  US  +8    $800
Marv Shaw      US  +9    $400

Kent, England was the host of the 5th British Open in my universe and like the 1901 version of The Masters it needed a playoff hole to determine a winner. American James Fox rallied from 6 shots down entering Sunday to tie Scotland's Matthew Allan at the end of 72 holes. It took 3 playoff holes before Fox was crowned the champion. It was Fox's second major victory as he also won the 1896 PGA championship. Matthew Allan's brother, Robert, finished in a tie for fourth in the event.
Code:

1901 BRITISH OPEN LEADERBOARD

James Fox        US  +8  $1,754
Matthew Allen  Scot  +8  $1,072
Walter Mathis  US  +9    $780
Robert Allan  Scot +11    $487
Shane Browne  IRE  +11    $487
Allen Lane      US  +11    $487

Our final major was held in New York as the PGA Championship was on the line. Once again Fox and Matthew Allan, fresh off their battle in Kent, proved the class of the event. Allan went into the final day tied with Floyd Foale, with the pair of them 1 stroke up on British Open champ Fox. Foale struggled early and would end up third in the event but Matthew Allan and Fox were tied with six holes to play. Unlike in Britian, when the Scotsman was first to blink and lost in a playoff, this time it was Fox who endured back bogeys on 15 & 16, holes that Allan birdied and suddenly the tournament was over. Allan would win by 6 after carding a final round 67 while Fox limped home with a par 72.
Code:

1901 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD

Matthew Allen  Scot -14  $1,709
James Fox        US  -8  $1,045
Floyd Foale    US  -7    $760
Clint James    US  -5    $475
Michael Kiloran IRE  -5    $475
Henry Rosenbaum ENG  -5    $475
Fritz Hobbs        US  -5    $475
Ike Hill        US  -5    $475

Here is the list of all-time major winners thru 1901 (minimum 2 titles)
Code:

MAJOR TOURNAMENT WINNERS

Calvin Baumgartner        3
James Fox                2
Milo Lawrence                2
Walter Mathis                2

Tiger Fan 07-22-2019 08:56 AM

1902 RECAP

NCAA

A very balanced season as the 8 conference champions all ranged between 82 and 72 victories and the wildcards were all within 6 wins of each other. We did need a playoff to determine the final wildcard tournament berth and it went to LSU after the Tigers beat Colorado 6-4. A one game playoff was also required to declare a winner in the Big 10 as Purdue and Wisconsin each finished with 77-49 records. The Boilermakers won the extra game to claim the Conference title.

Arizona slugger Jason Sawyer(.355,58,133) missed out on a repeat Triple Crown win but did lead the NCAA in homers and rbi's. However, the 18 year old's team missed the post-season with a 64-62 record. A great debut this year from Penn State freshman righthander Samuel Pullen. The youngster went 26-4 with a league leading 1.27 era while fanning 336 batters in 298 innings. He did all of this while playing on a team that was well below .500. Equally impressive was another freshman pitcher. Bobby Atkins went 31-4 with a 2.11 era and 333 strikeouts in 324 innings for Ivy League champion Dartmouth.

THE TOURNAMENT

The brackets for the 1902 NCAA Tournament were as follows:
Code:

EAST REGION
ACC champ        Clemson Tigers                        82-44       
IVY champ        Dartmouth Indians                81-45
At Large 8        LSU Tigers                        71-56
At Large 1        Wisconsin Badgers                77-50

SOUTH REGION
SEC champ        Florida Gators                        73-53
Big East champ        Syracuse Orangemen                80-46
At Large 4        Nebraska Cornhuskers                74-52
At Large 5        Michigan Wolverines                73-53

MIDWEST REGION
Big10 champ        Purdue Boilermakers                78-49
Big 8 champ        Oklahoma State Cowboys                78-48
At Large 2        Duke Blue Devils                74-52
At Large 7        South Carolina Gamecocks        71-55

WEST REGION
PAC10 champ        California Golden Bears                72-54
SWC champ        Arkansas Razorbacks                73-53
At Large 3        Brown Bears                        74-52
At Large 6        North Carolina State Wolfpack        72-54

The College World Series finals involved a pair of wild card teams with the North Carolina State Wolfpack beating Nebraska 3 games to one in the newly expanded championship final. (It was bumped from a best of three to a best of five with all other rounds remaining as they were.)

Despite finishing third in the ACC the Wolfpack caught fire in the tournament, compiling an 11-4 record en route to the title. Known for their hitting during the regular season, it was timely pitching that led North Carolina State to the title. Senior Ryan Seay (13-8, 3.15) and freshman Dave White (15-10, 2.96) each went 4-1 while senior Rich McGuire (10-10, 3.97) came up with 2 wins in the finals. The offense was also present, particularly from senior second baseman Dave Alonso (.378,40,104), who hit .306 with 13 runs scored in the post-season, and fellow senior Danny Gillean (.316,9,58) who led all batters with 7 post-season homers and 15 rbi'. Alonso is a likely top five pick in the upcoming MLB draft.

https://i.imgur.com/TrKiQh8.jpg

THE DRAFT

North Carolina State star Dave Alonso did indeed go first overall in the draft as he was selected by the Philadelphia Athletics. The 21 year old second baseman is projected to be a future MLB star. The A's will have him begin his career with Class B Lancaster of the Interstate League. Detroit selected Boston University third baseman Elijah Briggs second while the St Louis Cardinals opted for Princeton outfielder Josh Tyner with the third pick.

MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON

Both World Series participants from last year got off to slow starts and never recovered. It was somewhat expected that would happen to the Cincinnati Reds with so many of their key players being in their late thirties or early forties but it was a surprise that the defending World Series champion Boston Red Sox started so poorly. Craig Hill (.336,44,136) basically duplicated his last year offensive production but again narrowly missed out on the triple crown because of batting champ John Clardy (.347) of the Athletics. The American League champion ended up being the St Louis Browns, who got off to a great start and led nearly all the way. Much of the Browns offense came from Cody Garcia (.337,29,99), Jason Barr (.331,36,130) and Nate Wood (.315,30,90) while Seth Houser (18-9, 3.01) and Jon Kleiner (19-9, 2.64) anchored the rotation.

Despite having the league's best pitcher in 29 year old Michael Muir (25-4, 2.20) and top batter in 26 year old John Garrett (.352,7,82, 49SB) the best the Philadelphia Phillies could do was finish second in the National League. Top spot went to the team with the highest payroll in the NL - the Boston Braves. The key to Boston's success was it's power with 5 players hitting over 20 homeruns led by first baseman David Ingram (.305,41,136) and third baseman Jesus Pagan (.279,36,98) who was a mid-season pickup from Pittsburgh. The strength of their pitching staff was 30 year old reliever Dave Whitaker, who led both leagues with 26 saves.

https://i.imgur.com/MZSxNUp.jpg

WORLD SERIES

The Browns took the series opener by an 8-2 score at home but lost game two 10-6 as Matthew Elden (.274,31,77) homered twice and Pagan once for the visiting Braves.

Pitching was the story of Game Three as crafty veteran Matt Raymer (9-9, 3.88) tossed a 2-hit shutout to pace St Louis to a 3-0 victory. The bats came alive the next day as Boston evened the series with a 10-9 victory behind catcher Brian Rose's (.292,9,62) 3-hit, 5-rbi performance.

Jason Barr, who is having a whale of a series, carried St Louis to a 9-3 victory in the all important fifth game. The slugger homered for the second time in the series and drove in 4 runs, giving him 10 rbi's in the first five games.

St Louis wrapped up the series the next game with another terrific pitching effort from a veteran starter. 38 year old Jon Kleiner, who was lit up for 8 runs in 6 innings in Game Two, fashioned a 2-hit shutout to clinch the series for the Browns with a 2-0 victory in Game Six. Jason Barr had two hits and drove in one of the runs to give him 11 rbi's in the series. He was rightfully named the Most Valuable Player of the 1902 Fall Classic after posting the following numbers: .444 (12-for-27) with 2 homers and 11 rbi's.

https://i.imgur.com/wghnZQa.jpg

OTHER NOTES
For the second year in a row the Tampico Alijadores won the Mexican League title while in Canada the Victoria Royals successfully defended their Western Provincial League crown but lost in the national championship series to the Trois-Rivieres Phillies.

Code:

American Association  Milwaukee Brewers        Bos Braves
International League  Buffalo Bisons                Detroit
Pacific Coast League  Hollywood Stars                Independent
Southern Association  Nashville Volunteers        Chi Cubs
Texas League              Houston Buffaloes        StL Cardinals
Eastern League              Wilkes-Barre Barons        Cleveland
SALLY League              Savannah Indians                Phi Athletics
Three I League              Davenport Cubs                Chi Cubs
Interstate League      Allentown Cardinals        StL Cardinals
West Texas-New Mex L  Lubbock Hubbers                Washington

Tiger Fan 07-22-2019 09:02 AM

HOCKEY

Like last season, the Montreal Wanderers were regular season champs but this time they had much more competition. The Wanderers edged out their cross-town rival Montreal Canadiens for top spot once again but a greatly improved Ottawa Senators team led much of the way before faltering down the stretch and missing the playoffs on a tie-breaker.

The Toronto Tecumsehs decided to relocate, abandoning Toronto for the short trek to Hamilton where they were rechristened as the Tigers. The Toronto Ontarios decided to change their name and would now be known as the St. Patricks.

Code:

ULCHL STANDINGS 1902-03
TEAM                        GP  W  L  T  PTS

Montreal Wanderers      40 22 12  6  50
Montreal Canadiens      40 22 15  3  47
Ottawa Senators                40 19 12  9  47
Toronto St Pats                40 14 21  5  33
Quebec Bulldogs                40 12 20  8  32
Hamilton Tigers                40 10 19 11  31

SCORING LEADERS            TM      GP  G  A  PTS

Theodore Poitras    MonW    40  14 21  35
Matt Kerr          Ott    40  15 18  33
Bennett Hillman            Tor    36  18 14  32
Finley Elliott            Tor    40  9 23  32
Joseph Matheson            MonW    32  12 19  31
JP Rustad            Ott    40  9 22  31

With the Canadiens edging out Ottawa for second place on the basis of more regular season wins the Stanley Cup was a rematch of last year. The Wanderers prevailed again, sweeping the Canadiens in the best of three series.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Unlike last season when there was plenty to debate when it came time to chose a National Champion, 1902 left no doubt as the Duke Blue Devils were the only undefeated team. The Southern Conference champs had a scare in the Orange Bowl but a late touchdown gave them a 30-27 victory over 10-3 Colorado.

Other bowl games saw Michigan avenge last year's loss to Washington in the Rose Bowl by winning in a rout 44-9 behind the strong arm of quarterback Ray Babcock. Notre Dame beat Texas Mines 31-28 in the Sugar Bowl and #2 Syracuse downed Furman 31-13 in the Cotton Bowl.

Code:

1  Duke                13-0                1
 2  Syracuse                12-1                3
 3  Wisconsin                12-1                5
 4  Notre Dame                12-1                2
 5  Tennessee                11-2                6
 6  Michigan                12-1                7
 7  Furman                11-2              11
 8  Ole Miss                11-2                8
 9  Texas Tech                12-1                4
10  Georgia Tech        10-2                9
11  Texas Mines                10-1              10
12  New York Univ        9-3              19
13  San Francisco        11-1              15
14  Utah                10-2              13
15  Georgia                9-3          17
16  Pittsburgh                9-3          16
17  Colorado                10-3              18
18  North Carolina        10-2              14
19  Sewanee                9-3              12
20  Arkansas                9-3              20

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

The Kansas State Wildcats, led by senior All-American Harry Stevens, were the class of College Basketball in the 1902-03 season. Kansas State, playing in the Missouri Valley Conference, built on an impressive 27-4 season a year ago - when they finished #2 in the rankings behind Kentucky - by going undefeated and ranked #1 heading into this years 32 team NCAA tournament. Included in the Wildcats 30-0 run were a pair of victories over rival Kansas, which finished 9th in the polls.

Kansas State's bid for a perfect season came to an end in the Midwest Regional Final when last year's runner-up Indiana stopped the Wildcats 78-70. Indiana would meet it's demise the following week to another Wildcat squad, as Kentucky beat the Hoosiers 77-59 in one National Semi-final while Iowa edged Duquesne by 3 points in the other one. Kentucky, which finished 34-3 on the season, clinched the National Championship two days later with a 68-59 win over Iowa.

Kentucky would not place a single player on any of the 3 post-season All America teams, but the Wildcats seemed poised for a good chance at a repeat championship as they would return 4 starters and their top two bench players next season.

https://i.imgur.com/hzPPXGo.jpg

West Virginia would come up with the top recruiting class of 1902 as they signed three players ranked in the top ten nationally. Power Forward Dusty Nunnally, a North Carolina native who was ranked 2nd, Virginia high school SF Bob Perry - the 6th rank recruit, and Bobby Glasser, a center from Texas was rated 10th in the nation. The consenus number one recruit was a guard from Coal City, Illinois by the name of John Lesley. Lesly signed with Indiana which had the second best recruiting class.

PROFESSIONAL BASKETBALL

The Eastern Basketball League expanded by one team in it's second season as the Wilmington Peaches joined the EBL. The Peaches, strengthened the acquisition of College Player of the Year Dick Hague, finished with the best record in the league and went on to win the playoff title in the maximum 5 games by beating Millville. Hague, who led Bradley to a National Collegiate Title last season, finished second in the league in both points and rebounds but lost out on the MVP award to the man who led in both of those categories. That would be fellow rookie Bubba Gibson, who scored a previously unheard of 34.1 ppg and had 12.7 rebounds per game. Gibson, the fifth pick of the draft by Pittsburgh, was a second team All-American (Hague was the first team center) a year ago while at Kansas State.

The Peaches offense when through Hague, but he was not the only threat as guards Gene Levine and Dave Bressler, along with PF Papa Troutman, all averaged double figures in scoring. All four were standouts in college a year ago as a large influx of NCAA players joined the league, after hearing about it's success last season.

After posting the worst record in the league a year ago, the Pennsylvania Bicyle Club improved by 9 games and finished second in the West Division, but even with the improvement they were still 12 games back of division leading Wilmington. The Bicylce Club had a hotshot rookie of their own in former Kansas star Josef Wetterman, who grew up in Germany dreaming of soccer greatness before his family immigrated to the midwest when he was 13 years old and he switched to basketball. Trenton, led by former Louisville star Wally Baker finished third while Pittsburgh, despite the heroics of Bubba Gibson, settled for fourth place. Despite first team all-star forward Bennie Lent from the University of Cincinnati, the Camden Skeeters finished in the West Division cellar with the worst record in either league.

The Millville Glass Blowers won the East Division for a second straight season, but this time by just a single game over Bristol. To illustrate just how big an impact the influx of ex-college stars had on the league this year one just needs to look at Millville's center Giorgio D'Amato. D'Amato was league MVP a year ago but spent most of this season on the bench as Jim Funderburk, who helped Duquesne to the final four a year ago, took over at center. Millvale also had a pair of strong guards, including first team all-star George Green from Bradley.

The Bristol Pile Drivers blew a 2 game lead on Millville by dropping their final four games, including one to the Glass Blowers, and finished a game back in the East. All five of their starters averaged double figures in scoring led by their big center Vic Carnevale from Kentucky, who averaged 19.3 ppg and 8.0 rpg. The New York Wanderers finished third as Chester Lee, from Wyoming, was their only real offensive threat while Trenton, with the league's worst offense, brought up the rear in the East.

Code:

1901 EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS

Millville Glass Blowers 34 22  -
Bristol Pile Drivers        33 23  1.0
New York Wanderers        25 31  9.0
Trenton Nationals        19 37  15.0
[b]
Wilmington Peaches        42 14  -
Phil. Bicycle Club        30 26  12.0
Paterson Crescents        28 28  14.0
Pittsburgh Homesteaders 23 33  19.0
Camden Skeeters                18 38  24.0

[b]
SCORING LEADERS                TM  PPG
Bubba Gibson                PIT  34.1
Dick Hague                WIL  24.5
Bennie Lent                CAM  24.5
George Green                MIL  24.1
Chester Lee                NYW  24.1
Wally Baker                PAT  22.6
Orlin Burdick                TRE  21.4
Josef Wettermann        PBC  20.7

Code:

1903-04 ALL LEAGUE FIRST TEAM                PPG    RPG  APG  SPG  BKPG
C Bubba Gibson                Pittsburgh        34.1  12.7  1.1  1.2  0.8MVP

F Chester Lee                New York        24.1  6.8  3.4  1.7  0.3
F Benny Lent                Camden          24.5  5.0  2.1  0.7  0.5
G George Green                Millville        24.1  6.9  8.8        1.5  0.2
G Josef Wettermann        Pennsylvania        20.7  5.7  6.5  1.0  0.4

The playoff series went the distance as Millville and Wilmington split the first four games before the league newcomers took the title with a convincing 88-63 victory in the decisive Game Five. What was more impressive was they won the series without Dick Hauge, who was injured in the second game and did not return. PF Papa Troutman, who played his college ball at Michigan State, made up for the absence of Hauge and was named series MVP.

GOLF

The golfer of the year was Walt Berry, despite the fact his only tour win of the year came at The Shawnee Open in Pennsylvania. Berry did have a number of top five performances including both The British Open and PGA Championship. He nosed out Clem Jordan for the award, despite the fact Jordan won 3 tournaments (Miami Biltmore Invitational, California Open and El Paso Open) during the year.

Andrew Sexton won The Masters as the only player to break par in the event. Berry finished 16th.

Code:

1902 MASTERS LEADERBOARD

Andrew Sexton  US  -4  $1,619
Hod Warren        US  +1  $990
Vince Cummins  US  +2  $720
Jackie Adams    US  +3  $450
Carter Blackmon US  +3  $450
Albert Lichtman GER  +4  $341
Thomas Milne    SCO  +4  $341

Calvin Baumgartner further cemented his standing as one of golf's greats when he destroyed the field at Pebble Beach in the US Open. It was the second straight US Open for Baumgartner and his fourth major overall. It was also another dominant performance by the American, who won by 9 strokes this year after finishing 10 ahead of his nearest competitor last year in Houston.

Code:

1902 US OPEN LEADERBOARD

Cal Baumgartner US  -13  $1,799
Fred Lomax      US  -4  $1,100
Paddy O'Sullivan IR  -1    $800
Rudy Shaw      US  -1    $800
Finn Drysdale  AUS  -1    $800

Ireland's Colin O'Higgins rode a great start to a British Open win at Royal Cinque Ports. The diminutive Irishman was -5 under after Friday's second round while no one else could break par. He struggled in the wind on the weekend, but so did everyone else and he held on to beat defending champion James Fox by 3 strokes to claim his first major victory.
Code:

1902 BRITISH LEADERBOARD

Colin O'Higgins IRE  +1  $1,754
James Fox        US  +4  $1,072
Walt Berry      US  +7  $780
Homer Haines    US  +7  $780
Emil Stanway    US  +8  $390
Michael Kiloran IRE  +9  $370

Oak Valley was the host to the final major of the season as England's Henry Rosenbaum outlasted Walt Berry and Germany's Albert Lichtman for the title. American Clint James had the thru 54 holes but suffered through a terrible 78 on Sunday to fall into a 5-way tie for fourth place.
Code:

1902 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD

Henry Rosenbaum ENG  +1  $1,709
Albert Lichtman GER  +3  $1,045
Walt Berry      US  +3  $1,045
Andrew Sexton        US  +5  $475
Clint James    US  +5  $475
Frenchy Savard  US  +5  $475
Rip Olson        US  +5  $475
Murray McKenzie ENG  +5  $475

Here is the list of all-time major winners thru 1902 (minimum 2 titles)
Code:

MAJOR TOURNAMENT WINNERS

Calvin Baumgartner        4
James Foxx                2

Tiger Fan 07-25-2019 01:18 AM

Well, I just spent a couple of days fixing things because I ignored a rule we all now so well. Back up your dynasty leagues.

I knew but ignored it as I was playing out a season in the college basketball game when my computer suddenly rebooted. Not sure if it was something the game did my laptop didn't like or something the laptop did on it's on but when I restarted the file was corrupted and the league was lost.

I learned my lesson. I restarted the basketball leagues (including the pro league as I would have a totally different crop of college players entering it now) and am diligently backing up my files each season.

I have edited the 1901 recap now to show the new basketball info and the 1902 recap will be changed shortly.

Anyway, that is the end of my PSA reminding everyone to back up their leagues, regardless of the game.

EDIT - 1902 basketball has been rewritten and posted.

Tiger Fan 07-25-2019 02:43 AM

1903 Baseball Recap

1903 RECAP - BASEBALL

NCAA

1903 saw some terrific conference races. Michigan State (79-47) claimed it's second Big Ten title in 3 years by just two games over Purdue and 3 on Michigan. Arizona State won it's final 8 games but fell 3 short of catching slumping Oregon State for the Pac 10 crown. A 3 game losing streak to end the season cost Arkansas the Southwest Conference title to Texas Tech and Dartmouth held off Columbia by a single game in the Ivy League. The tightest race by far was the battle for the SEC crown. All ten teams finished with 8 games of first place and 6 of them were within two games. When the regular season came to an end we had a three-way tie for first place with Alabama, Tennessee and Auburn all at 66-60 and Ole Miss and Florida just 1 game back. Alabama beat Tennessee 2-1 and then blanked Auburn 1-0 to earn it's first conference title and the only post-season berth for the conference this season.

Arizona slugger Jason Sawyer (.326,47,95) saw his numbers dip in his junior year but he still put up totals 99% of NCAA players would gladly accept. One exception was Syracuse senior outfielder Eddie Banuelos, who recorded the first triple crown in NCAA history, batting a record .405 while hitting 55 homers and driving in 140 runs, one shy of Sawyer's 1901 rbi mark. Banuelos led the Orangemen to the Big East title and destroyed his previous career highs in all 3 triple crown categories.

THE TOURNAMENT

The brackets for the 1903 NCAA Tournament were as follows:
Code:

EAST REGION
ACC champ        Duke Blue Devils                80-46       
IVY champ        Dartmouth Indians                78-48
At Large 8        Colorado Buffaloes                72-54
At Large 1        Purdue Boilermakers                77-49

SOUTH REGION
SEC champ        Alabama Crimson Tide                68-60
Big East champ        Syracuse Orangemen                79-47
At Large 4        Arizona State Sun Devils        75-51
At Large 5        Oregon Ducks                        73-53

MIDWEST REGION
Big10 champ        Michigan State Spartans                79-47
Big 8 champ        Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks                76-50
At Large 2        Columbia Lions                        77-49
At Large 7        Wisconsin Badgers                73-53

WEST REGION
PAC10 champ        Oregon State Beavers                78-48
SWC champ        Texas Tech Red Raiders                72-54
At Large 3        Michigan Wolverines                76-50
At Large 6        Cornell University Big Red        73-53

Banuelos hit .458 with 2 homers and 7 rbi's in the South Regional but it wasn't enough as the Orangemen went 2-4 and were quickly eliminated from the College World Series playoffs. Alabama and Oregon came out of the South while Purdue and Dartmouth advanced from the East. Texas Tech and Michigan were the West winners while, in a clear indication of the parity that 1903 has given us, all 4 teams in the Midwest Region finished with 3-3 records. It went down to run differential which allowed Michigan State and Columbia to advance.

Three of the four Elite Eight series were 2-0 sweeps with Oregon, Alabama and Texas Tech moving on. They were joined by Michigan, which dropped the opener to Columbia only to win the next two.

Alabama improved to 8-2 in the tournament with a sweep of Oregon in the final four while Michigan swept Texas Tech behind a great outing from sophomore ace Andy Green (23-12, 2.11), who pitched 12 shutout innings in a 1-0 victory to open the series.

The College World Series finals won't have much for major league scouts - at least not in this years draft but there are a couple of future talents to watch. Alabama, which has arguably the worst offense out of the 16 playoff teams, does have an outstanding pitcher in sophomore Bryan Kleeman (21-11, 2.14), who is a projected first round pick in 1905. Michigan counters with the previously mentioned Green, also a likely high 1905 draft pick, and a much better offense led by senior outfielder Steve McWhinney (.300,21,67)

Game One of the best of five saw Michigan score three times in the bottom of the ninth inning to pull out a 3-2 victory and make a winner of Andy Green, who allowed 2 runs (1 earned) in going the distance. After a 2-0 win in Game Two, the Wolverines completed the sweep with another 3-2 victory as McWhinney's 3-run homer in the second accounted for all of the Michigan scoring.

https://i.imgur.com/mcG16CL.jpg

THE DRAFT

Three of the first four picks were middle infielders led by Washington shortstop Gabe Simpson, who went #1 overall to the Pittsburgh Pirates. In 3 seasons with the Huskies, Simpson batted .335 with 100 homeruns at the college level. The first pitcher selected was Dave Collins of Florida by the New York Giants with the fifth pick. Collins won a career best 24 games a year ago but missed several starts this year and finished with a 16-5 mark. His career era of 1.94 ranks him in the top twenty.

Rice was the only school to have two players selected in the first round as leftfielder Chris Plata went 8th to Cleveland and centerfielder Joe Melton was taken 12th by the Phillies. Steve McWhinney, of the College World Series champion Michigan Wolverines was a supplemental first round pick, selected 16th overall by the Yankees. Syracuse slugger Eddie Banuelos, who won the triple crown, was taken 13th by the Boston Braves.

https://i.imgur.com/IWKUwqp.jpg

MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON

After losing in the World Series last season the Boston Braves were on a mission in 1903, winning a record 107 games and finishing 26 games ahead of second place Cincinnati atop the National League. The Braves had the NL batting champ in 29 year old Josh Downing (.291,1,89) as well as Mathew Eiden (.322,46,144), who led the majors in homers and rbi's. Add in David Ingram (.315,34,130), Dan Perkins (.338,25,88) and John Macomber (.317,38,123) and it is easy to see why Boston led the majors in nearly every offensive category. Pitching wasn't bad either as Dale Coats (24-8, 2.28) had a breakout year at age 35, while fellow starters Ralph Mason (16-6, 2.87), Mark DeRidder (15-9, 2.85) and Chris Unrein (18-6, 3.70) rounded out a solid rotation.

The St Louis Browns repeated as American League champs thanks in a big way to another great season from Jason Barr. The 28 year old outfielder led the American League in batting average (.354) and rbi's (136) and finished second with 39 homeruns to Boston Red Sox star Craig Hill (.314,40,101). Nate Wood (.285,21,118) and Cody Garcia (.323,20,100) were other key offensive pieces while the Browns also had the only 20 game winners in the American League in Seth Houser (25-7, 2.09) and Jon Kleiner (22-6, 2.53).

https://i.imgur.com/OmrzFDj.jpg

WORLD SERIES

Game One was a matchup featuring the most winningest pitcher from each league and the Braves Coats prevailed taking a 4-3 decision over Houser and the Browns. St Louis evened the series with a 10-8 win in Game Two as Jason Barr went 4-for-4 with a homer, a double and 3 rbi's while David Layne hit a grand slam for the Browns.

Shifting to St Louis for Game Three it was the visitors who's bats came alive with Boston winning 7-4 thanks to two-run homers from both Macomber and Eiden. Game Four was all Boston as the Braves scored all of their runs in the 6th inning of a 9-2 win. Matthew Eiden drove in 3 more runs to give him 9 rbi's in the season and his Braves a 3 games to one lead.

Even the right arm of St Louis ace Seth Houser could not slow down the Boston offense as the Braves chased him with 5 runs in 5 innings en route to a series clinching 7-1 victory. Dale Coats left after 5 innings with a sore shoulder but still earned his second win of the series for Boston.

Despite Matthew Eiden's 2 homers and 9 rbi's to go with a .286 batting average he lost out on Series MVP honours to Jason Barr of the losing Browns. Barr was amazing in the series as the 28 year old outfielder hit .591 (13-for-22) with 2 homers and 6 rbi's. He had at least 2 hits in every game of the series.

https://i.imgur.com/inmoNJS.jpg

OTHER NOTES

For the first time both rookie of the year award winners were former college players. Pat Pettyjohn, a second baseman taken 8th overall in 1901 out of Kentucky by Cleveland, won the American League top newcomer award after hitting .294 with 6 homers and 62 rbi's in 150 games with the Tribe. The National League winner was also a second baseman as former Florida State star Mario Gaona (.339,7,53) earned the nod. Brooklyn selected Gaona 4th overall in the 1902 draft.

A minor league single season homerun record was set by Joe Harken of Augusta. The 22 year old, who was taken 19th overall by Detroit in 1902 out of Virginia Tech, slugged 54 homers and drove in 150 runs in 124 games for the Sally League Tigers. Harken earned a late season promotion to AA Dallas, where he hit 3 more homers in 14 games with the Rebels.

The Texas League had a .400 hitter as outfielder Shawn Reamer batted .405 with 32 homers and 101 rbi's. The 23 year old White Sox prospect was selected in the second round of the 1902 draft out of Penn. First overall pick in 1901, Jake Lemieux denied Reamer a triple crown by leading the Texas League in homers (39) and rbi's (118) while playing for Pittsburgh's farm team in Tulsa.

It was a third straight Mexican League crown for the Tampico Alijadores. Tampico finished the season with a 94-46 record, good for a 5 game lead on the second place Monterrey Industriales. They then beat Monterrey in a 7 game Mexican Series that saw former Kansas State first baseman Edwin Garcia win the Series MVP award with a .481 batting average and 11 homeruns. The Canadian Series also went the full seven games with the Western Canada League champion Winnipeg Buffaloes prevailing over the St Hyacinthe Saints.

Code:

International League  Toronto Maple Leafs        Phi Athletics
Pacific Coast League  Sacramento Solons        Washington
Southern Association  Memphis Chickasaws        Cincinnati
Texas League              Beaumont Exporters        NY Yankees
SALLY League              Columbus Cardinals        StL Cardinals
Three I League              Quincy Gems                Independent
Interstate League      York White Roses                Pittsburgh
West Texas-New Mex L  Clovis Pioneers                Independent

Tiger Fan 07-25-2019 11:31 PM

1903 other sports

1903 OTHER SPORTS

HOCKEY

The Montreal Wanderers were quickly establishing themselves as the class of the ULCHL and the 1903-04 season just reiterated that point as the Wanderers finished first for the third straight season and established a new season mark for points. Joseph Matheson, who was troubled by injuries a year ago, rebounded nicely and won his second league scoring title in 3 seasons. Matheson was denied a second league MVP trophy as that award instead went to Quebec Bulldogs winger Derek Edur. The 23 year old Edur set a career high in goals and points this season and looks to be one of the future stars of the league.

The Ottawa Senators, who were last in the opening season but finished third and narrowly missed the playoffs a year ago, moved up to second place this year and earned the right to play for the Stanley Cup. The Montreal Canadiens, runners up each of the past two years, sank all the way to the basement this time around.

Code:

ULCHL STANDINGS 1903-04

Montreal Wanderers      40 27  6  7  61
Ottawa Senators                40 20 11  9  49
Quebec Bulldogs                40 20 15  5  45
Toronto St Pats                40 13 18  9  35
Hamilton Tigers                40 11 22  7  29
Montreal Canadiens      40  8 27  5  21

SCORING LEADERS            TM    GP  G  A  PTS

Joseph Matheson            MonW    37  21 24  45
Bennett Hillman            Tor    40  21 17  38
Sailor Hilborn            MonC    40  19 18  37
Derek Edur            Que    40  18 17  35
Patrick Harper            MonW    40  10 25  35

Despite some brilliant playoff goaltending from Senators netminder Marco Fleming, Ottawa was unable to deny the Wanderers a third straight Stanley Cup title. The Wanderers steady defenseman Alex Gelinas, who missed 9 games during the season, was outstanding on the blueline and added 3 points of offense to earn the playoff Most Valuable Player award. What was interesting is that despite a third straight championship, the Montreal Wanderers were not the fan favourite in their own city, as the Canadiens continued to outdraw them despite a dreadful last place season. There were no franchise moves this season but one could not help but wonder if Montreal would continue to support two teams.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Duke repeats as National Champion as the Blue Devils went a perfect 13-0 for the second straight season, culminating in a Citrus Bowl 42-35 victory over Georgia in a battle of unbeatens for the National Championship. At 12-1 Georgia slipped to fifth in the final rankings. Duke was led by perhaps the greatest college football quarterback of the era in Marlan Sumner. Sumner passed for 4,952 yards and 50 touchdowns in his senior seasons -both records that still stand a decade later, after throwing for over 4200 yards and 38 touchdowns as a junior. In a 3 year career (I started the sim in 1901) he threw for over 13,000 yards and 113 touchdowns.

Texas Tech also entered New Years Day unbeaten, but the Raiders were beaten 34-29 in the Sugar Bowl by one loss Notre Dame. The win lifted the Irish to second in the polls.

Other Bowl results saw California beat Minnesota 40-34 despite a 4 touchdown passing performance from Gophers QB Berry Ippolito. Army beat Kansas 38-31 in the Orange Bowl while Furman topped Penn State 27-21 in the Orange Bowl.

Code:

1  Duke                13-0                1
 2  Notre Dame                12-1                2
 3  Pittsburgh                11-2                6
 4  Minnesota                11-2                4
 5  Georgia                12-1                5
 6  Army                11-2                3
 7  Texas Tech                12-1                7
 8  Northwestern        10-2                9
 9  Colorado                10-2                8
10  Furman                10-3              11
11  Michigan                10-3              10
12  Washington                10-2                13
13  Xavier                9-3          15
14  New Mexico                9-3          14
15  Wake Forest                9-3          18
16  Oklahaoma                9-3              12
17  Georgia Tech        7-5                29
18  Kansas                9-4          22
19  Drake                9-3          25
20  LSU                        8-4          17

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

A year ago Kansas State carried a perfect record in to the NCAA tournament only to suffer their first loss of the season in the Conference Finals. Kentucky was dealt the same fate this season after UK, who won the NCAA tournament a year ago, were 35-0 when they faced West Virginia in the South Regional Finals. The Mountaineers prevailed 74-60 to improve to 27-6 on the year and then would win two more games, beating Cal by 8 points in the National Semi-finals before topping Indiana 75-71 in the tournament title game.

While West Virginia had an exceptional group of freshman from the nation's top recruiting class a year ago, it was the upperclassmen who led the Mountaineers to the tile with senior guard Al Humphry leading the way. Humphry was named the National Player of the Year after leading West Virginia with 14.5 ppg and 6.2 assists per game.

https://i.imgur.com/D2UHDP8.jpg

Code:

1903-04 CONFERENCE STANDINGS

WESTERN      CW CL  W  L

Iowa            11  1  24  7
Indiana      10  2  31  4
Purdue        8  4  16 13
Northwestern  6  6  12 18
Illinois      5  7  20 10
Michigan      5  7  13 16
Ohio State    5  7  18 12
Wisconsin    4  8  12 17
Minnesota    4  8  13 17
Chicago              2 10  5 24

IVY GROUP    CW CL  W  L

Yale              6  4  19 13
Dartmouth      6  4  16 13
Columbia      6  4  15 15
Pennsylvania  5  5  12 17
Princeton      5  5  11 18
Cornell              2  8  5 24

MISSOURI VALLEY CW CL  W  L

Kansas                10  2  26  6
Kansas State    10  2  25  5
Drake                6  6  11 18
Oklahaoma        5  7  15 14
Missouri        4  8  14 15
Iowa State        4  8  15 15
Nebraska        3  9  6 24

MOUNTAIN STATES  CW CL  W  L

Denver                  6  2  13 17
Colorado          5  3  15 15
Colorado A&M      1  7  8 21

PACIFIC COAST    CW CL  W  L

Cal                  7  0  32  2
Washington          5  2  25  6
Washington State  5  2  17 13
Oregon                  3  4  13 16
Oregon State          3  4  24  7
Idaho                  2  5  11 18
Southern Cal          2  5  13 16
Stanford          1  7  14 15

SOUTHERN        CW CL  W  L

Kentucky        11  0  35  1
North Carolina  10  1  19 12
N Carolina State  8  3  21 13
Alabama            6  5  15 16
Georgia                  5  6  13 18
Alabama Polytech  5  6  19 11
Georgia Tech          4  7  14 17
Clemson                    4  7  14 16
Tennessee          4  7  16 13
Virginia Tech          4  7  14 15
Virginia          3  8  8 21
Mississippi State 2  9  12 18

SOUTHWEST        CW CL  W  L

Oklahoma A&M      9  1  24  6
SMU                  7  3  17 12
Baylor                  6  4  17 12
Texas A&M          4  6  13 16
Rice                  3  7  11 18
Texas                  1  9  13 16

TOP INDEPENDENTS        W  L

West Virginia                29  6
Duquesne                28  4
Bradley                        28  5
Duke                        27  5
Holy Cross                25  6
Utah                        25  7
New York University    24  6
Saint Louis                24  8
Vanderbilt                23  8
LSU                        23  9
Cincinnati                22 10
Seton Hall                21  9
South Carolina                21  9
Tulsa                        21  9
Wake Forest                21 11
St John's                20 11
Rutgers                        19 10
Toledo                        19 10
Santa Clara                19 12
Lafayette                18 11
George Washington        18 12
St Mary's                18 12
Dayton                        17 12
St Bonaventure                17 12
Wyoming                        17 13
Arkansas                16 13
Florida                        16 13
Notre Dame                16 13
Marquette                16 13
Temple                        16 13
Utah State                16 13
Villanova                16 13
Louisville                16 14
St Joseph's (Pa)        16 14
Fordham                        15 14
Miami (Oh)                15 14
Penn State                15 14
Ohio                        15 14
TCU                        15 14
Connecticut                15 15
Western Kentucky        15 15

West Virginia would enjoy another outstanding recruiting class this year, landing the top ranked guard in Al St Laurent, who was Mr. Basketball in Connecticut, along with the 12th ranked recruit in Harwood, Maryland native Rupert Gray. However, the Mountaineers class this time was ranked second behind Notre Dame after the Irish convinced the nation's top ranked recruit in PF Odalis Hernandez, to play for them. Hernandez, an immigrant from Spain, played his high school ball in New York. Notre Dame also stole Kentucky native and 14th ranked recruit Ken Jamieson out from under the Kentucky Wildcats and Cincinnati Bearcats.

PRO BASKETBALL

The Eastern Basketball League remained at 9 teams but three clubs changed their names. The Pennsylvania Bicycle Club, were now known as the Philadelphia Wheelers while both Trenton and Camden changed their nicknames. Trenton would now be the Potters and Camden was renamed the Electrics.

The name change must have inspired the Potters as they rose from a last place finish a year ago to the top of the East Division. Orlin Burdick, a guard from Kentucky, led Trenton in scoring and made the league's first all-star team for the second consecutive year while another former Wildcat, rookie first round pick Corky Gipson gave the Potters a second scoring threat, something they lacked a year ago.

Bristol finished in second place for the second year in a row, with rookie guard Harvey Stevens, fresh off an All-American season for Kansas State, leading the way. The New York Wanderers again were third in the East, as an injury to Chester Lee, a first team all-star a year ago, slowed the team. Millville had a rough season, dropping to last place in the East with a 15-41 record after two straight trips to the League championship series.

Wilmington once again was the class of the West Division as the Peaches received another dominant season out of second year pro Dick Hauge, a former NCAA player of the year. Second place Pittsburgh improved by 13 games and looks like a serious threat in the future thanks to two-time MVP Bubba Gibson, a second year pro out of Kansas State, and this year's rookie of the year Willard McNew. McNew, from West Virginia where he was College Player of the Year last season, stepped in at center forcing Gibson to move to power forward. Gibson led the league in scoring averaging 29.3 ppg while McNew was fourth with 24.2. They were also 1-2 in rebounds with McNew's 12.7 boards per game leading the way and Gibson next at 11.1.

All-star Josef Wettermann of Philadelphia also had a position change, moving from shooting guard to small forward to make room for another Kansas State product in Joe Hubbard, who the Wheelers selected with the 6th pick of the EBL draft. The fourth place Paterson Crescents had a pair of rising stars in second year power forward Wally Baker (24.9 ppg, 9.1 rpg) and rookie shooting guard Jimmy Hurlburt (21.9 ppg, 8.0 apg) out of Indiana. It was another bad year for last place Camden, which changed from the Skeeters to the Electrics but were awful either way. Even their first overall draft pick did not work out well as Bradley guard German Krauss, while a decent player, was overshadowed by other newcomers and failed to make the all-rookie team.

Code:

1903-04 EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS

Trenton Nationals        36 20    -
Bristol Pile Drivers        32 24  4.0
New York Wanderers        27 39  9.0
Millville Glass Blowers 15 41  21.0
[b]
Wilmington Peaches        41 15  -
Pittsburgh Homesteaders 36 20  5.0
Philadelphia Wheelers        29 27  12.0
Paterson Crescents        23 33  18.0
Camden Skeeters                13 43  28.0

[b]
SCORING LEADERS                TM  PPG
Bubba Gibson                PIT  29.3
Dick Hague                WIL  27.2
Wally Baker                PAT  24.9
Willard McNew                PIT  24.2
Bennie Lent                CAM  23.4
Orlin Burdick                TRE  23.2
Jimmy Hurlburt                PAT  21.9
Josef Wettermann        PHI  21.6
George Green                MIL  21.0
Corky Gipson                TRE  20.7

Code:

[b]
1903-04 ALL LEAGUE FIRST TEAM                PPG    RPG  APG  SPG  BKPG
C William McNew                Pittsburgh        24.2  12.7  1.8  1.0  5.4
C Bubba Gibson                Pittsburgh        29.3  11.1  1.6  1.1  0.9MVP

F Josef Wettermann        Philadelphia        21.6  5.4  5.3  1.3  0.4
F Orlin Burdick                Trento          23.2  6.4  4.4  1.2  0.3
G George Green                Millville        21.0  6.4  4.4        1.2  0.3

The playoffs belonged to Wilmington, as the club with the league's best regular season record had little trouble handling the East Division champs from Trenton. Wilmington took Game 1 of the best of 5 series 106-91 behind a record 55 point game from Dick Hauge. The 55 points surpassed by 1 what Pittsburgh's Bubba Gibson scored in a regular season game las year. The playoff record had been 32 set by Hauge a year ago. Hauge also added 14 rebounds in the contest. The second game saw a more pedestrian effort from Hauge, but his 28 points still led all scorers in a 104-71 blowout victory for the Peaches.

The series shifted to Trenton for Game Three and the Potters would get their only win of the series as Orlin Burdick had 27 points and rookie Corky Gipson 21 in an 81-73 Potters victory. Hauge was held to 18 points, still tops for Wilmington on the night. Two days later the series would end as the visiting Wilmington Peaches claimed their second straight EBL title with a 101-100 victory. Hauge was the star of the show once more, cementing his series MVP award by scoring a game high 38 points.

GOLF

1903 gave us four first time winners of Major Tournaments. The top of The 1903 Masters leaderboard was dominated by Americans including Gus Carlson, a Boston born golfer who's win at Augusta was his first as a professional, never mind a major. Carlson was 7 under par after two days and coasted to victory, winning by 5 strokes on Calvin Baumgartner, a man with 4 major titles under his belt.

Code:

1903 MASTERS LEADERBOARD

Gus Carlson        US  -2  $1,619
Cal Baumgartner US  +3    $990
Mark Brice        US  +4    $720
Len Tucker        US  +4    $720
Jackie Adams        US  +5    $360
Emil Stanway        US  +6    $341
Albert Lichtman GER  +6    $341

International players had much more success at the US Open, which was held in the Washington DC area this year. Ireland's Evan Costello was the winner with countrymen Liam Hogan and Michael Kiloren also cracking the top five. Hogan, as time would show, seemed to be destined to join another high finisher from this event, Walt Berry, as perhaps the best golfers to never win a major.

Code:

1903 US OPEN LEADERBOARD

Evan Costello  IRE  +6  $1,799
Harris Murphy  SCO  +7  $1,100
Walt Berry        US  +8  $800
Liam Hogan        IRE  +9  $500
Michael Kiloren IRE +10  $400
Andrew Sexton  US  +10  $400

BRITISH OPEN
Englishman Lord Lovett, a dominant player on the European Tour, claimed his first major as he held off the pack at the Royal Edinburgh Golf Club to win The British Open. Lovett was under par in each of his four rounds, carding scores of 71-69-70-70 enroute to a three stroke victory. Vern Thomas, who won a PGA Championship in 1899, finished in a 3-way tie for second that also included Masters champ Gus Carlson.

Code:

1903 BRITISH OPEN LEADERBOARD

Lord Lovett        ENG  -8  $1,754
Vern Thomas    US  -5  $1,072
Furman Purdy        ENG  -5  $1,072
Gus Carlson        US  -5  $1,072
Thoms Milne        SCO  -4  $390
Everett Andrews ENG  -3  $370
Ezekiel Lette  US  -3  #370

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
Oakland Hills in Michigan was the site of the 1903 PGA Championship, it's first turn at hosting a major event. The weather was very bad for most of the event and the scores reflected it as the co-leaders after 72 holes were at +12. It took two playoff holes for American Owen Houle to beat Ireland's Colin O'Higgins and claim his first major title. O'Higgins, you might recall, was the winner of the 1902 British Open. James Fox, a two-time major champion who won the first PGA Championship in 1896, missed the playoff by a single stroke.

Code:

1903 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD

Owen Houle        US  +12  $1,709
Colin O'Higgins IRE +12  $1,045
James Fox        US  +13  $760
Finn Drysdale  AUS +15  $475
Luke Dawson        ENG +15  $475

Here is the list of all-time major winners thru 1903 (minimum 2 titles)
Code:

MAJOR TOURNAMENT WINNERS

stevem810 07-26-2019 12:02 AM

The scope of the project is only equal to the courage you have for taking it on. Thanks for sharing your stuff, here. It will be interesting to follow along.

Tiger Fan 07-26-2019 10:46 AM

1904 RECAP - BASEBALL

NCAA

Unlike last season when there were tight pennant races in nearly every conference, the 1904 season lacked drama. Only the always tight SEC had a real race as Alabama held off Tennessee by 1 game for it's second straight conference crown, and even that race was tempered as the Tide, despite winning by just 1 game, clinched the title with 3 games left in the season.

The Stanford Indians tied the record set by Michigan and Arizona in 1901 for most victories in a season, finishing at 88-38 and winning the Pac 10 by 16 games over Oregon. The Indians were led by three juniors: pitchers Kevin Field (22-8, 2.76) and Mike Smith (20-4, 2.71) as well as outfielder Pedro Perez (.377,41,126).

Arizona earned a wildcard berth as Jason Sawyer(.300,41,81) finished up his storied college career. The outfielder ends up with 211 career homers and 451 rbi's, both records, as well as a career .342 batting average.

THE TOURNAMENT
The brackets for the 1904 NCAA Tournament were as follows:
Code:

EAST REGION
ACC champ        Duke Blue Devils                79-47
IVY champ        Penn Quakers                        76-50
At Large 8        Arizona Wildcats                71-55
At Large 1        Clemson Tigers                        75-51

SOUTH REGION
SEC champ        Alabama Crimson Tide                74-52
Big East champ        Rutgers Scarlet Knights                74-52
At Large 4        Dartmouth Indians                73-53
At Large 5        Tennessee Volunteers                73-53

MIDWEST REGION
Big10 champ        Michigan Wolverines                83-43
Big 8 champ        Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks        83-43
At Large 2        Colorado Buffaloes                74-52
At Large 7        Oregon Ducks                        72-54

WEST REGION
PAC10 champ        Stanford Indians                88-38
SWC champ        Texas Tech Red Raiders                72-54
At Large 3        Indiana Hoosiers                73-53
At Large 6        Virginia Cavaliers                72-54

Defending champ Michigan failed to advance out of their regional as the Wolverines went just 1-5. Oregon, with 5 wins and Nebraska-Omaha with 4 came out of the Midwest. Alabama, which reached the College World Series finals a year ago, breezed through the South Region with a perfect 6-0 record. 3-3 Dartmouth also advanced. In the East Duke (5-1) and Penn (4-2) moved on while out west Stanford (4-2), owners of the best regular season record, and Virginia (3-3) reached the Elite Eight.

The Final Four saw an all-Ivy League matchup in the East between Dartmouth and Penn while Nebraska-Omaka, which knocked off Stanford, would face Virginia in the West. When the dust settled it was the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks that won the College World Series, needing the maximum 5 games to eliminate Penn in the Finals. Junior outfielder Ryan Coots was the hero, capturing tournament MVP honors after hitting 7 homers and driving in 14 runs while batting .263 in 15 games.

https://i.imgur.com/62raDex.jpg

THE DRAFT

Well I was waiting to see if Arizona's Jason Sawyer would go number one overall but it turns out he is 11 days too young for the draft and will be granted a 5th season of college eligibility. Penn State pitcher Samuel Pullen, who was an All-American in 1902 but missed almost the entire 1903 season with arm problems, went first to the Chicago White Sox. Pullen had a bounce back year this season, going 26-7 with a 1.49 era and threw two no-hitters in a 10 day span including a perfect game.

The White Sox also picked third because they were unable to sign their first round pick a year ago. That pick was 2B Joe Estrada of Baylor, who was taken second by Brooklyn this time around. A second player, pitcher Mike Barror, also failed to sign last year when the Cubs selected him 6th. Guess they really like him as the Cubs picked Barror again, this time with the 5th pick.

https://i.imgur.com/UYqkC1t.jpg

MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON

In 1901 we had the Red Sox and in 1902 and 03 we had the Braves. Now for the 1904 World Series we have both Boston teams as the Red Sox and Braves rolled to their respective league championships.

The Red Sox are beloved in the city of Boston and lead the majors in attendance while the Braves, despite three straight National League titles, have the worst attendance in either league and are constantly losing money with their high payroll. It is clear who the favourite in the World Series will be, at least in the hearts of fans.

The Red Sox led the majors in runs scored and homers and their #3 thru 7 hitters all belted at least 20 homeruns. They include 27 year old shortstop Craig Hill (.345,39,97), 29 year old first baseman Matt Davis (.323,32,109), 28 year old catcher Gabe Ruiz (.290,29,92), 34 year old second baseman Matt Ritchie (.272,24,77) and 32 year old outfielder Curt Wasinger (.282,24,97).

The Braves have plenty of offense of their own with 30 year old outfielder Matthew Eiden (.295,46,146), 32 year old outfielder John Macomber (.275,41,128) and 28 year old first baseman David Ingram (.290,33,115) providing the bulk of it. The Braves real strength is their pitching but it suffered a big blow when reigning Cy Young Award winner Dale Coats (8-2, 1.89) went down with arm troubles in June. The 36 year old is said to be ready to return for game one of the World Series but there are question marks about how effective he will be coming off of more than 3 months of inactivity.

https://i.imgur.com/hbeXaMw.jpg

WORLD SERIES

Coats was very good in his return, allowing just 2 runs over 7 innings but the Red Sox were better, taking a 2-1 victory in Game One thanks to a 6-hit complete game from Tyler Lawrence (18-13, 4.10). The Braves evened the series the next day with a 4-3 win behind a 3 hit effort from Matthew Eiden.

Game Three was the most attended contest ever at Braves Field but the crowd was decidedly pro-Red Sox. The home team prevailed 5-4 thanks to an rbi double off the bat of John Macomber in the bottom of the 8th.

With all of the big name talent on the field it was a rookie that stole the show in Game Four as the Red Sox evened the series with a 6-2 victory. Jermaine George (.316,12,79), a 1902 first round pick out of Rutgers, had a double and two triples while driving in 5 runs to key the victory.

Not only did he pitch 6 innings, allowing just 2 runs, but Braves ace Dale Coats also had 2 rbi's in a 9-2 Braves victory in Game Five that moved the National Leaguers to within one victory of a second straight World Championship. That win would come two days later at Fenway as Ralph Mason pitched 7 innings of 4-hit ball and the Braves clinched the Series with a 3-1 victory.

The Series MVP was 23 year old outfielder Rich Goeldner (.288,12,78). The 1902 second round pick out of Penn State went 9-for-22 (.409) with a homer and 5 rbi's in the series.

https://i.imgur.com/v4jutku.jpg

OTHER NOTES

Former Wisconsin star Tyler Dempewolf had an outstanding first full season of minor league ball. The 1903 14th overall pick of the Dodgers was named Eastern League MVP after hitting .421 with 33 homers and 145 rbi's for Williamsport. Dempewolf went on to bat .452 with 7 rbi's in the Eastern Series but Williamsport fell short, losing to Wilkes-Barre in 7 games.

Dempeewolf's average was surpassed only by Roland Point of the Abilene Blue Sox. The 25 year old West Texas-New Mexico League star hit .486 in 137 games for the Independent club. Point has spent all 4 seasons of the game with Abilene and is a career .402 hitter with 856 hits in 523 games and is a two-time league MVP.

The Sherbrooke Athletics became the fourth different champion in the four years of the Canadian Baseball League. The winners of the Quebec Provincial League beat the Western Canada champion Regina Bonepilers 4 games to 2 in the Canadian Series.

The Tampico Alijadores 3 year run as Mexican League champion came to an end when they lost to the Mexico City Red Devils in the playoff series. The Red Devils set a league regular season record with 97 wins and finished 8 games ahead of second place Tampico. Pitching was the Red Devils strength on a staff anchored by 20 game winners Zachary Anderson (20-8, 2.88) and Mexico native Alex Garcia (20-8, 2.92).

Code:

American Association  Toledo Mud Hens                StL Browns
International League  Baltimore Orioles        Cleveland
Pacific Coast League  Los Angeles Angels        Chi Cubs
Southern Association  Little Rock Travelers        Bos Braves
Texas League              Houston Buffaloes        StL Cardinals
SALLY League              Columbus Cardinals        StL Cardinals
Three I League              Waterloo White Hawks        Chi White Sox
Interstate League      Lancaster Red Roses        Phi Athletics
West Texas-New Mex L  Pampa Oilers                Independent

Tiger Fan 07-26-2019 07:55 PM

1904 OTHER SPORTS

HOCKEY

The great Joseph Matheson led the Montreal Wanderers to yet another regular season title in the Upper & Lower Canada Hockey League. Matheson won his third league scoring title in 4 seasons and was named the loop's MVP for the second time as he led the Wanderers to their fourth straight regular season title. Fan support was still not there for the predominantly English speaking Wanderers and after the season the club would be sold. In addition to Matheson's usually strong season, the Wanderers got a breakout year from 31 year old goaltender Max Faucher. The veteran, who had been a backup the previous 3 seasons, set league marks for wins by a goalie in a season with 23 and goals against average at 1.77.

Francophone hockey fans in Quebec had a new team to cheer for as the Bulldogs made the playoffs for the first time in their existence, edging out the Ottawa Senators for second place. The Senators got a strong season out of 20 year JP Rustad after the 1902-03 rookie of the year missed all of last season with an injury, but fell just shy of a return to the playoffs.

Code:

ULCHL STANDINGS 1904-05

Montreal Wanderers      40 24  9  7  55
Quebec Bulldogs                40 17 12 11  45
Ottawa Senators                40 17 14  9  43
Montreal Canadiens      40 14 18  8  36
Hamilton Tigers                40 13 19  8  34
Toronto St Pats                40 12 25  3  27

Joseph Matheson            MonW    40  18 22  40
Ted Wurst            MonC    40  16 17  33
JP Rustad            Ott    40  10 21  31
Sailor Hilborn            MonC    38  14 16  30
Samuel Sproule            Que    40  9 21  30

The Wanderers again claimed the Stanley Cup, beating the Bulldogs in 3 games for their fourth straight title. Defenseman Denis Ryan, who began his career with the Canadiens before being dealt to the Wanderers two years ago, was named the playoff MVP.

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

California entered the Rose Bowl at 12-0 and was one of three unbeaten teams heading into New Years Day. The number 1 ranked Bears just needed a Rose Bowl win over Western Conference champion Michigan and they would win the National Championship. Michigan had been to the Rose Bowl twice, winning in 1902 over Washington after losing to the Huskies the previous season. Cal beat Minnesota in last year's big game but this time it was not meant to be for the Bears as they lost 37-27 thanks to 184 yards rushing and 2 touchdowns by Michigan back Billy Creighton. The loss took the Bears out of the National Championship picture.

Kansas State had a chance at the title as well as the Wildcats were also 12-0 entering their Orange Bowl matchup with 11-1 LSU. The Tigers dashed Kansas State's hopes with a 23-12 victory. That left Texas Tech, 12-0 after winning the Southwest Conference title and they would play Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl. It was a down year for the Irish, at least by their standards as the entered the game with a 10-2 record. Texas Tech got a late touchdown to pull out a 20-17 victory and end the day as the only unbeaten team left - winning their first National Championship.

The other bowl games saw USF beat Duke 25-20 in the Cotton Bowl as the Blue Devils two year run of unbeaten teams came to an end with an 11-2 season. Texas Mines beat Villanova 13-10 in the Gator Bowl while Harvard topped Washington 34-27 in the Tangerine Bowl.

It was one of the few times where the Media and Coaches poll agreed completely on the order of the top 9 teams.

Code:

1  Texas Tech                13-0                1
 2  LSU                        12-1                2
 3  Michigan                12-1                3
 4  San Francisco        12-1                4
 5  Kansas State        12-1                5
 6  Cal                        12-1                6
 7  Furman                12-1                7
 8  Duke                11-2                8
 9  North Carolina        12-1                9
10  Vanderbilt                9-3              13
11  Kentucky                  9-3              10
12  Sewanee                10-2              12
13  Pittsburgh                9-3              11
14  Texas Mines                11-2              15
15  Northwestern        9-3              14
16  Notre Dame                10-3              16
17  Army                9-3              18
18  Tulane                10-2              33
19  Grinnell                9-3                20
20  Harvard                11-2              36

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Only one school made it to the Final Four in each of the first three NCAA tournaments. That school was Indiana, and the Hoosiers failed to win a title despite making it to two title games and a third final four. Indiana made it four for four in Final Four appearances in 1904-05 and for the first time, the emerged as the National Champion.

Despite finishing the regular season with a 24-5 record, Indiana entered the tournament on a down note after falling 67-59 to Michigan in the final day of Western Conference action. There were no conference tournaments in these days so that game was for the Conference title and the loss left Indiana at 10-2 and it forced them to share the title 3 ways with Michigan and Iowa, 2 of the four clubs to beat Indiana this year. Indiana's other losses came to Arizona in early January and twice to unranked Cincinnati- with one of those in a pre-season tournament.

Indiana entered the NCAA tournament with the second highest scoring offense in college basketball, and the leader was guard John Lesley, who averaged 19.8 ppg and was a first team All-American this season as a sophomore. The Hoosiers drew the second seed in the West Region, the toughest bracket as it contained the powerful Kansas State Wildcats, who were ranked number one in the nation and were the only team to average more points per game than Indiana. In addition to scoring more points than any other team, the Wildcats also gave up the fewest points in the nation and were led by two All-Americans, both seniors in first team point guard Byrd Polley and second team shooting guard Al Booth.

Kansas State, which was a perfect 12-0 in the Missouri Valley Conference and 27-2 on the season, had little trouble beating Colorado A&M in the opening round of the tournament. At the same time Indiana was handling 7th seed Utah 66-52 in their first tournament game. The Hoosiers easily got past 6th seed George Washington, which had done them a favour and knocked off #3 Bradley in the opener, in round two. Next up for the Hoosiers was an expected tussle with Kansas State but the #5 seed in the West, Oregon State, had other ideas. In the biggest upset of this year's tournament, the Pacific Coast Conference co-champs upended Kansas State 69-60 setting up a Regional Final with Indiana.

The Hoosiers, their path to another final four now much clearer, walloped Oregon State 74-52 behind 15 points from John Lesley to reach their fourth straight final four. There they would meet fellow #2 seed Holy Cross, who had beaten #1 North Carolina State in the South Region. Lesley poured in 23 points and junior guard Red Seba added 20 to lead Indiana to an 87-76 victory and a berth in the National Championship Game for the third time in four years.

Their opponent in the title game would be defending champion West Virginia, who had beaten Indiana by 4 points in last year's championship game. Despite Lesley only scoring 4 points in the first half, Indiana led 32-28 at the break. The game would be back and forth throughout the second half until Indiana took the lead for good at 59-58 with just over a minute to play. The Hoosiers would earn a 64-59 win and their first National Title. Lesley ended the day with 14 points to lead what was a balanced Indiana offense in the game. The good news for Indiana is next year's team looks even better as they would graduate only 1 of their top 9 players in the rotation, starting point guard George Burrows.

https://i.imgur.com/IitNroW.jpg

Code:

1904-05 CONFERENCE STANDINGS
T = qualified for NCAA Tournament
WESTERN      CW CL  W  L

Iowa        -T  10  2  31  3
Michigan  -T 10  2  22  8
Indiana  -T  10  2  29  5
Illinois  -T  6  6  20 11
Northwestern  6  6  16 14
Minnesota    5  7  14 15
Purdue        5  7  14 15
Ohio State    4  8  14 16
Wisconsin    3  9  14 15
Chicago              1 11  6 23

IVY GROUP    CW CL  W  L

Princeton  -T  7  3  16 15
Columbia      6  4  15 14
Yale          5  5  17 13
Dartmouth      5  5  14 15
Pennsylvania  4  6  11 18
Cornell        3  7  8 21

Kansas State -T 12  0  28  3
Kansas        -T        9  3  22  9
Iowa State      7  5  19 10
Nebraska        4  8  10 20
Missouri        4  8  14 16
Drake            4  8  8 21
Oklahoma        2 10  9 20

Colorado A&M  -T  6  2  16 15
Colorado          4  4  17 12
Denver                  2  6  11 18

Oregon State -T          6  1  24  8
Washington -T          6  1  26  6
Cal        -T          4  3  21 11
Oregon                  3  4  14 16
Stanford          3  4  16 13
Washington State  3  4  14 15
Southern Cal          2  5  14 16
Idaho                  1  6  10 19

Kentucky  -T        10  1  29  7
N Carolina St -T  9  2  30  5
North Carolina    6  5  18 13
Alabama Polytech  6  5  12 19
Virginia          6  5  13 18
Clemson                  5  6  18 13
Alabama                  5  6  16 14
Tennessee          5  6  11 20
Virginia Tech          4  7  14 15
Georgia Tech          4  7  12 17
Georgia                  4  7  10 19
Mississippi State 2  9  7 22

Oklahoma A&M  -T  8  2  24  8
SMU        -T          7  3  21 10
Texas                  4  6  17 12
Rice                  4  6  12 17
Texas A&M        4  6  11 18
Baylor            3  7  10 19

Holy Cross  -T                31  2
West Virginia  -T        29  5
Duquesne  -T                27  5
Saint Louis  -T        25  5
Bradley        -T                25  6
Dayton        -T                23  8
Wake Forest  -T                23  8
George Washington -T        22  9
TCU                        21  8
New York University -T        21  9
Penn State  -T                21  9
Seton Hall  -T                21  9
St Johns                21  9
Florida        -T                21  9
Utah        -T                21 10
Santa Clara -T                21 10
LSU        -T                20 10
Vanderbilt  -T                20 10
Brigham Young                20 10
Saint Josephs (Pa)        19 10
UCLA                        19 11
Notre Dame                19 11
Ohio                        18 11
Cincinnati -T                18 12
Louisville                17 12
Fordham                        17 12
Marquette                17 12
Marshall                17 12
St Mary's                17 12
Tulsa                        17 12
Pittsburgh                17 13
Davidson                17 13
Georgetown                16 13
Duke                        16 13
Rutgers                        16 13
South Carolina                16 13
Maryland                16 13
Rhode Island                15 14
Arizona                        15 14
Temple                        15 14
Western Kentucky        15 14
Mississippi                15 14
Connecticut                15 15
St Bonaventure                15 15

Despite the loss in the title game to Indiana, West Virginia can take solace in the fact they had another outstanding recruiting class. In fact, the Mountaineers 1905 class of freshman is ranked the best in college basketball with Washington, Iowa, St John's and Cincinnati rounding out the top five.

Three of the top 18 ranked recruits highlight the West Virginia class. They include #9 Yank Fishel, a center from Champaign, Illinois who passed on Indiana at the last minute to switch to West Virginia. He will be joined by a pair of Maryland high schoolers in PG Curly Tipton and SF Donie Martens.

St John's was the surprise destination for the nation's top recruit. PG Bob Hendricks, a high school All-American from Highland Park, New Jersey passed on offers from Bradley, West Virginia and Duquesne among others to join the Redmen.

Kentucky recruit Pug Marvin, a shooting guard from Buffalo, was the MVP of the high school all-star game which brought together the best high school seniors across the country. Marvin had 22 points in the game, won 95-81 by his East squad. In addition to leading in points, his 9 rebounds were also tops in the contest.

Code:

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY
YR      WINNER        OPPONENT        SCORE  OTHER FINAL FOUR TEAMS

1901-02  BRADLEY        Indiana                79-64    Holy Cross, Duquesne
1902-03  KENTUCKY      Iowa                68-59    Indiana, Duquesne
1903-04  WEST VIRGINIA  Indiana        75-71    Bradley, California
1904-05  INDIANA        West Virginia  65-49    Holy Cross, Iowa

PRO BASKETBALL

The Eastern Basketball League added two teams but lost one prior to it's fourth season. Two Pennsylvania teams in the Reading Bears and Johnstown Johnnies joined the league while the Millvale Glass Blowers, after a dreadful 15-41 season a year ago, folded. With ten teams the league decided increase the number of games from 56 to 60 per club as well as expand the playoffs to include the top two teams from each division and not just the division winners. Each playoff round would remain a best-of-five series for the time being.

The Wilmington Peaches continued to dominate the West Division, as they feasted on the two new entries to help them post a league record .767 winning percentage. In it's 3 years in the league the Peaches are 129-43, far and away the best record of any franchise. Center Dick Hauge remains a big reason why. In 3 years in the EBL after winning the NCAA player of the year award at Bradley in 1901-02, Hauge has averaged 27.5 ppg. He was a second team all-star each of his first two seasons but broke through this year to win his first league MVP award, while leading the loop in ppg with 30.2 and finishing second to Pittsburgh's Willard McNew in rebounds with an 11.3 average per game.

As for the Homesteaders, they finished with a 30-30 record but that was still good enough to earn a playoff spot under the new system. Second year center Willard McNew (23.6 ppg, 13.1 rpg) and PF Bubba Gibson (25.7 ppg, 10.5 rpg) remained the focal point of the Pittsburgh offense but neither made the first all-star team, primarily because of injuries that forced each of them to miss about a dozen games. Their first round pick was a PG out of Syracuse by the name of Roland McIness. He was brought in to try and balance out their offense and that succeeded to a point with McIness averaging 10.7 ppg and showing some promise for the future.

The third place Wheelers narrowly missed the playoffs as second year guard Joe Hubbard, out of Kansas State, had a breakout year leading the team by averaging 22.5 ppg and giving Philadelphia a second scoring option to go along with Josef Wettermann. Philadelphia also got a nice selection with their second round draft pick, as Pretzel Tully, a center out of Tulsa, averaged 11.3 ppg and 10.0 rpg. Expansion Johnstown actually tied the Wheelers with 28 wins as the Johnnies had a balanced attack led by center Ken Wardle, who came over from Philadelphia, and forward Vic Carnevale, who was selected from Bristol in the expansion draft. The Reading Bears finished in last place despite getting guard George Green, who made his second straight first all-star team, from Millville after that franchise ceased operations.

The East Division race was a battle all season and finished with just 5 games separating the top four clubs. New York, at 35-25, and Trenton, two games back of the Wanderers, would earn the playoff spot but Camden and Paterson - both transfers from the West Division - were in the mix until late in the season. Bristol won just 16 games and was absolutely dismal.

The first place Wanderers scored more points than any other club in the EBL, but did so without a true star as 6 players averaged double-figures in points led by small forward Chester Lee's 21.1. Ciriaco Ferrer, a rookie center out of Cal, had a strong debut season. Second place Trenton was again led by Corky Gipson (22.4 ppg) and Orlin Burdick (21.7 ppg) and were now joined by a third scoring threat in rookie Rags Hockett, the 9th pick of the draft out of North Carolina State.

After winning just 13 games a year ago, the Camden Electrics improved to 31-29 this season with much of the credit going to rookie of the year Rufus Nickerson. The first overall pick out of Kentucky averaged 21.0 ppg and gave them a second option to go along with guard Bennie Lent (21.3 ppg). The fourth place Paterson Crescents placed two players on the league's first all-star team in forward Wally Baker and guard Jimmy Hurlburt. Add in rookie guard Al Humphry, the college player of the year from NCAA champion West Virginia, and the Crescents future looks very bright. Things in Bristol, however, were not so bright as the Pile Drivers endured a terrible campaign even though they had a couple of very good players in Harvy Stevens and rookie Ed Brayton, an All-American out of Indiana.

Code:

1904-05 EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS

New York Wanderers        35 25  -
Trenton Potters                33 27  2.0
Camden Electrics        31 29  4.0
Paterson Crescents        30 30  5.0
Bristol Pile Drivers        16 44  19.0

Wilmington Peaches        46 14    -
Pittsburgh Homesteaders 30 30  16.0
Philadelphia Wheelers        28 32  18.0
Johnstown Johnnies        28 32  18.0
Reading Bears                23 37  23.0

SCORING LEADERS    TM    PPG

Dick Hauge          WIL  30.2
Wally Baker          PAT  25.8
Bubba Gibson          PIT  25.7
Willard McNew    PIT  23.6
Joe Hubbard          PHI  22.5
Corky Gipson      TRE  22.4
Orlin Burdick    TRE  21.7
Bennie Lent          CAM  21.3
Chester Lee          NY    21.1
Rufus Nickerson  CAM  21.0

Code:

1904-05 ALL LEAGUE FIRST TEAM                PPG    RPG  APG  SPG  BKPG
C Dick Hauge                Wilmington        30.2  11.3  1.7  0.5  4.6 MVP

F Wally Baker                Paterson        25.8  8.7  1.6  1.2  1.4
F Corky Gipson                Trenton        22.4  6.0  3.9  1.5  1.4
G George Green                Reading                20.8  5.9  9.2  1.4  0.2
G Jimmy Hurlburt        Paterson        19.0  6.3  9.4  1.3  0.2

The extra round of the playoffs provided some exciting basketball as the West semi-final needed the full five games for Wilmington to advance past Pittsburgh. As he was last season in the playoffs, center Dick Hauge was the difference as he averaged over 30 ppg in the series. The East Final was a mild upset as second place Trenton topped the New York Wanderers in 4 games. New York took the opener before Trenton roared back with 3 straight wins including an 85-84 overtime victory in Game Three.

The finals were a rematch of last season when Wilmington prevailed in 4 games. However, Trenton shocked the defending champs by winning the first two games on the road. Game one's score was 95-76 despite Dick Hauge getting 44 points in a losing effort for Wilmington. The Potters won by being the better team with Otis Burdick (21 pts), Corky Gipson (19), Rags Hockett (18) and center Dick Pfeil (17) all contributing at both ends of the court. Game Two was much the same story as Hauge scored 31 but his Peaches lost 85-68 with Burdick, Gipson and Pfeil all topping 20 points each for Trenton.

Trenton returned home looking for a sweep but it didn't happen as Hauge's 33 points and some help from his supporting cast kept Wilmington alive with an 87-66 win. The series did end the next night as the Trenton four proved better than Wilmington's one star in a 100-91 win. Hauge had 40 points but Pfiel (23), Gipson(22), Burdick (19) and Hockett (18) more than negated it giving Trenton it's first Eastern Basketball League title.

Despite averaging a league high 34.4 ppg to go along with 11.0 rpg, Hauge did not win his second playoff MVP award. The honour instead went to Trenton's Corky Gipson, who was third in playoff scoring with 20.6 ppg behind Hauge and Pittsburgh's Willard McNew.

Code:

EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

01-02  Paterson Crescents defeat Millville Glass Blowers
02-03  Wilmington Peaches defeat Millville Glass Blowers
03-04  Wilmington Peaches defeat Trenton Potters
04-05  Trenton Potters defeat Wilmington Peaches

GOLF

The big story in golf in 1904 came from the European Tour as German Albert Lichtman was becoming a dominant force in the game. The 29 year old won 8 events on the Euro Tour this year and, while he has yet to win a major, it seems like just a matter of time as he has come close a couple of times.

For the first time we had a golfer win more than 1 major in a season as Frenchy Savard, a 44 year old Louisiana born golfer, won both the Masters and the US Open. His hopes for a grand slam were quickly extinguished when he missed the cut at the British Open. Savard had not been a factor on the tour in each of his 8 seasons, but someone caught lightning in a bottle twice in 1904.

THE MASTERS
The Masters leaderboard read like a who's who of golf as rising star Lichtman was just a stroke of the pace and former major winners Calvin Baumgartner, Hayden Gallant, James Fox and Colin O'Higgins all cracked the top ten. In the end it was Savard who prevailed, but it took 4 playoff holes for him to beat Luther Swartz to win his first Green Jacket.

Code:

1904 MASTERS LEADERBOARD

Frenchy Savard        US  E  $1,619
Luther Swartz    US  E    $990
Gordon Dendy    US  +1    $720
Albert Lichtman GER  +1    $720
Cal Baumgartner  US  +2    $360
Hayden Gallant        CAN  +2    $360
Colin O'Higgins IRE  +2    $360

US OPEN
The River Course in Blacksburg, Virginia was the site of the 1904 US Open and it was extremely unforgiving. Frenchy Savard followed up his victory at The Masters with another win but he failed to break par in any of his four rounds. Scores under 72 were few and far between as Savard prevailed by a stroke over Gordon Dendy and two-time major tournament winner James Fox. For the 28 year old Dendy, who finished tied for third at The Masters it was a second straight strong showing.

Code:

1904 US OPEN LEADERBOARD

Frenchy Savard        US  +13  $1,799
Gordon Dendy    US  +14    $720
James Fox        US  +14    $720
Mark Brice        US  +15    $500
Ike Hill        US  +17    $400

BRITISH OPEN
Defending champion Lord Lovett nearly made it two in a row but the Englishman came up just short as he lost in a playoff to Len Tucker. The most disappointed golfer after the event had to be American Whitey Gordon. The 43 year old Gordon had a 1 stroke lead on Lovett after 36 holes but carded rounds of 79 and 80 on the weekend to drop into a 10th place tie. James Fox continued his strong summer as the two-time major winner finished in the top ten for the third time in a major this year. The Belfry course near Birmingham, England was unforgiving in it's first time hosting a major and scores reflected that.

Code:

1904 BRITISH OPEN LEADERBOARD

Len Tucker        US  +8  $1,754
Lord Lovett        ENG  +8  $1,072
Floyd Foale    US  +10  $780
Jackie Adams    US  +10  $780
Liam Hogan        ENG  +11  $390
Claude Warren  US  +11  $390

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
The PGA championship made a return trip to Oakland Hills in 1904 and for the second time this year 32 year old Calvin Baumgartner was in range of a record 5th major title. Baumgartner, who was 2 strokes off the pace at The Masters, finished just 1 stroke back of winner Joseph Power in a PGA championship that went down to the wire only because the 43 year old Power nearly blew a 4 stroke lead heading into Sunday. Power would card a final round 80 but had scored just low enough to beat 3 golfers by 1, including Baumgartner who gained 8 strokes on the leader in the final day with an even par. Baumgartner's undoing was shooting a 77 on Saturday after being just two strokes behind Power, who led after each day of the event.

Code:

1904 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD

Joseph Power        IRE +11  $1,709
Cal Baumgartner  US +12  $1,045
David Holmes        US +12  $1,045
Carlton Simkins  US +12  $1,045
Michael Kiloran IRE +13  $380
Jordan Ritchie  SCO +14  $360
Evan Henderson  SCO +14  $360

While he failed to show well in a major this year, it was still a very strong season for Walt Berry as the American won 3 events. His success all came on the west coast as he won the Northern California Open in January and in the fall claimed victory at both the San Diego and Long Beach Opens.

Here is the list of all-time major winners thru 1904 (minimum 2 titles)
Code:

MAJOR TOURNAMENT WINNERS

Frenchy Savard                2

stratonascar 07-26-2019 09:18 PM

Good work so far, but I got a question: What does the alignment look like in College Football?

Tiger Fan 07-26-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stratonascar (Post 4519638)
Good work so far, but I got a question: What does the alignment look like in College Football?

The alignment I used is below. This was from a league file I edited a few years ago and have played out several seasons through the years. If I was starting from scratch now I would make things a little different.

The one drawback to BBCF is it is only customizable to a point. I had tried removing teams and lowering the number of conferences but the game always seemed to crash so I couldn't set things up exactly how I wanted. Also once you start a league, you can not add or delete any schools but I think you can have teams switch conferences although I have never tried. Here is what I am going with:

BIG EIGHT
Colorado
Iowa State
Kansas
Kansas State
Missouri
Nebraska
Oklahoma
Utah

A note here. I guess I decided Utah was the best option as I needed all conference to be 8 or 10 teams and I decided it was a better fit to put Utah here and keep Oklahoma A&M (OkState) in the MVC.

WESTERN CONFERENCE (BIG 10)
Indiana
Illinois
Iowa
Michigan
Michigan State
Minnesota
Northwestern
Ohio State
Purdue
Wisconsin

Note - I wanted to put Chicago here and keep MSU an indy team but was afraid I could not switch them in later years.

BORDER ATHLETIC CONFERENCE
Arizona
Arizona State
Colorado State
New Mexico
New Mexico State
Northern Arizona
Texas Mines (becomes UTEP)
Texas Tech

IVY GROUP
Brown
Columbia
Cornell
Dartmouth
Harvard
Penn
Princeton
Yale

MISSOURI VALLEY CONFERENCE
Creighton
Drake
Grinnell
Oklahoma A&M (Oklahoma State)
Saint Louis
Tulsa
Washburn
Washington(Mo)

PACIFIC COAST CONFERENCE
California
Oregon
Oregon State
Stanford
UCLA
USC
Washington
Washington State

Idaho should be here but would have left me with 9 teams.

ROCKY MOUNTAIN CONFERENCE
BYU
Colorado College
Colorado Mines
Denver
Northern Colorado
Utah State
Western State
Wyoming

SEC
Alabama
Alabama Polytechnical (Auburn)
Florida
Georgia
Kentucky
LSU
Mississippi
Mississippi State
Tennessee
Vanderbilt

SOUTHERN CONFERENCE
Clemson
Duke
Maryland
North Carolina
North Carolina State
South Carolina
Virginia
VPI (Virginia Polytechnical Institute - became Virginia Tech)
VMI (Virginia Military Institute)
Washington & Lee

SOUTHWEST CONFERENCE
Arkansas
Baylor
Rice
SMU
Texas
Texas A&M
TCU
Tulane

Tulane is here because I needed 8 teams.

I also have 4 independent conferences. Because the game treats them like conferences and forces a conference schedule on them they are not really independent but it was the best solution I could find at the time.

MIDWEST INDEPENDENTS
Army
Chicago
Detroit Mercy
Fordham
Marquette
Navy
New York University
Notre Dame
Pittsburgh
Syracuse

EASTERN INDEPENDENTS
Bucknell
Carnegie Tech
Duquesne
Georgetown
Holy Cross
Penn State
Temple
Villanova

SOUTHERN INDEPENDENTS
Citadel
Davidson
Furman
Georgia Tech
Sewanee
Wake Forest
West Virginia
Xavier

WESTERN INDEPENDENT
Fresno State
Idaho
Montana
Pacific
San Diego State
San Francisco
Santa Clara
St Mary's

Like I said, not ideal but as close as I could get it at the time.

skyballer455 07-27-2019 04:12 PM

It's always great to see you do a thread like this. What program do you use to simulate golf and is it still available?

Tiger Fan 07-27-2019 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skyballer455 (Post 4519865)
It's always great to see you do a thread like this. What program do you use to simulate golf and is it still available?

Thanks. I am using Total Pro Golf 2 from Wolverine. I don't believe it is still available but they have a new version called Draft Day Sports: Pro Golf. I haven't upgrade because I (and some others) spent a bunch of time making a number of courses and they are not compatible with the new version.

Tiger Fan 07-27-2019 11:24 PM

1905 RECAP

NCAA

After two seasons of finishing just behind Alabama, the Tennessee Volunteers finally won their first SEC title, going 82-44 to finish one game ahead of the Crimson Tide in what is quickly becoming the most competitive conference in college baseball. The Vols were led by a tremendous season from senior outfielder Bill Stigall (.320,50,121) and freshman righthander Tim Jones (23-3, 2.33).

Defending National Champion Nebraska-Omaha won it's third straight Big 8 title behind the right arm of junior Jason Garrison (26-10, 1.80, 374k's).

Jason Sawyer will definitely be drafted this year. The Arizona slugger, who was given a 5th year of college eligibility due to his birthdate, had a down year by his standards but still hit .308 with 34 homers and 89 rbis. It is very early obviously but I have doubts if his career homers and rbi totals will ever be surpassed. He graduates with 245 round-trippers. Tennessee's Bill Stigall is number two on that list with 173. Sawyer's 540 career rbi's are 62 more than Stanford's Pedro Perez accumulated.

THE TOURNAMENT

The brackets for the 1905 NCAA Tournament were as follows:
Code:

EAST REGION
ACC champ        Virginia Cavaliers                77-49
IVY champ        Yale Bulldogs                        82-44
At Large 8        TCU Horned Frogs                72-55
At Large 1        Alabama Crimson Tide                81-45

SOUTH REGION
SEC champ        Tennessee Volunteers                82-44
Big East champ        Miami Hurricanes                82-44
At Large 4        Arizona State Sun Devils        72-54
At Large 5        Mississippi State Bulldogs        72-54

MIDWEST REGION
Big10 champ        Purdue Boilermakers                74-52
Big 8 champ        Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks        78-48
At Large 2        Cornell University Big Red        77-49
At Large 7        Kansas Jayhawks                        72-55

WEST REGION
PAC10 champ        Stanford Indians                75-51
SWC champ        SMU Mustangs                        73-53
At Large 3        Dartmouth Indians                73-53
At Large 6        Ohio State Buckeyes                72-54

Alabama finished first in the East Region with a 5-1 mark while Tennessee finished second in the South behind Miami setting up another chapter in what is becoming an outstanding rivalry. The two schools met in the East Region last year with Alabama winning both contests and advancing while the Vols season came to end but it is in SEC play where the rivalry has really taken hold. In 1903 and 1904 Tennessee finished a game back of Alabama for the conference title while this season Tennessee won it by just one game over the second place Tide. Now they will meet in a best two-of-three series for the first time. The other three Elite Eight matchups have Miami facing Yale, Dartmouth playing Purdue and defending champion Nebraska-Omaha meeting SMU.

Game one saw Alabama win 4-3 thanks to a walk-off homerun by pinch-hitter Tyler Bennett (.158,1,3) with two out in the bottom of the ninth. It was just the second career homerun for the little-used sophomore. In Game Two, senior pitcher Justin Webster (15-6, 3.84) tossed a complete game allowing Tennessee to even the series with a 4-2 victory but Alabama won the deciding game in convincing fashion, 7-1 behind a Sean Frego (.246,21,74) grand slam. Alabama would play Yale in the semi-finals while Nebraska-Omaha continues it's title defense with a matchup against Dartmouth.

Yale continued it's improbable run with a series win over Alabama. The Bulldogs won the Ivy League with an 82-44 season after never finishing above .500 in school history prior to this season. Their opponent in the final will be Nebraska-Omaha, as the Mavericks bid to become the first repeat winner of the College World Series.

In the title series every thing went Yale's way as the Bulldogs won each game by a single run coming in their final at bat. In Game One sophomore outfielder Tim Stainiszewski (.295,32,87) hit a run scoring single with 1 out in the bottom of the ninth to give Yale a 6-5 victory. Game Two it was a solo homerun from freshman Sklyer Gearhart (.210,3,33) to lead off the 9th that proved the difference in a 4-3 victory and in the final game it was an rbi double from junior Justin Pruitt (.253,5,21) in the top of the 12th that broke the tie and gave Yale a 7-6 win. This happened after Nebraska-Omaha rallied with 3 runs in the bottom of the 8th to tie the game and force extra innings.

https://i.imgur.com/qeZy3Py.jpg

THE DRAFT

The Big Ten conference dominated the first few picks as 3 players from the conference went in the top five including first overall Andy Green, a pitcher from Michigan. Green missed much of his senior season with an injury but finished his college career with a 77-29 record and a 1.58 era. He was a two-time All-America selection and helped the Wolverines to the 1903 College World Series title. He goes to the Pirates, who have been just awful and show little signs at this point of getting better.

I included an 11th player on the top ten list as the Braves selected Arizona slugger Jason Sawyer with the final pick of the first round (before supplemental picks are taken). The Braves are a good fit for Sawyer as, while they are loaded with young outfielders, they did lose homerun king Matthew Eiden to Detroit as a free agent over the winter. One of the Braves prospects is 23 year old Eddie Banuelos, who won an NCAA MVP award while at Syracuse and was Southern League MVP last year at Little Rock when he hit .367 with 37 homers and 130 rbi's. The #9 prospect in baseball is now hitting .318 with 13 homers in 65 games for AAA Milwaukee.

https://i.imgur.com/lejeUZB.jpg

MAJOR LEAGUE SEASON

I am not sure if I discussed the league settings much before but I am playing with finances enabled and include free agency. Now that we are 5 years into the league we are starting to see some player movement and no team was hit anywhere near as hard as the two-time defending World Champion Boston Braves. The Braves had one of the higher payrolls in the league but had terrible fan support (even with the titles) and were dead last in attendance so you knew something had to give soon. This past off-season it gave....big time. Without signing a single free agent in return, the Braves lost their two best pitchers, 2 outfielders and their starting second baseman. Leftfielder Matthew Eiden averaged 46 homers and 145 rbi's over the past two seasons. He signed a 7 year deal with Detroit. Centerfielder John Macomber (41 HR, 128 rbi last season) and veteran starter Dale Coats (1903 Cy Young winner) both left for Washington while Ralph Mason (19-7 last season) went to the Yankees. Finally, 4 time all-star second baseman Josh Downing signed with Brooklyn. As a result the Braves payroll dropped to the second lowest in the league and they fell to fifth place in the National League.

With Boston's 4 year run atop the National League over, it opened the doors for other teams and it was the St Louis Cardinals that took full advantage. No one really stood out on the Cardinals but they did have a solid lineup from top to bottom. Their best player would likely be 37 year old third baseman Craig Croy (.275,29,93), especially considering star pitcher Jimmy Wallace (13-2, 3.02) missed the final couple months of the season when he blew his arm out.

The young and improving Cincinnati Reds finished second with their best win total since the pennant-winning 1901 campaign. This is a retooled team with many starters in their mid-twenties with the exception of veterans Dan Perkins (.312,29,95) and Chad Eggers (.296,21,94). Eggers is an original Red and was the 1901 NL MVP while Perkins spent 4 years with the Braves before signing with Pittsburgh this off-season and being dealt to the Reds at the deadline.

Brooklyn's Ray Abernathy won his first batting title while, with Eiden gone to Detroit, the homerun and rbi race were wide open. Dan Miller of the Dodgers led with 111 rbi's while 30 year old Cubs infielder Jeremy Meadows won the homerun race with 37.

Injuries destroyed the Boston Red Sox chances of repeating in the American League. Pitcher Chris Tidwell blew out his arm and at age 35 a return to form is in doubt. Outfielder Mike Price and shortstop Craig Hill, who combined for 70 homers and 193 rbi's a year ago, both missed much of the season with long-term injuries.

That allowed the Chicago White Sox to step up and win their first pennant and probably earn some much deserved credit for the best pitcher I have yet to mention in Ryan Joy. Joy, winner of the 1902 Cy Young Award, has led the AL in ERA each of the past four seasons including a 1.85 mark this season. He was also the league's only 20 game winner this year at 22-6 and led the AL in K's for the fourth time in his career with 259. The best young player in the majors is 22 year old centerfielder Jonathan Collazo (.347,31,107). The former Wisconsin star led the American League in batting, rbi's and stolen bases in his first full major league season. Only ex-Brave Matthew Eiden's 37 homers for Detroit denied the young White Sox outfielder a triple crown.

https://i.imgur.com/ArFeE4f.jpg

WORLD SERIES

The Chicago White Sox won the World Series in 5 games over the St Louis Cardinals. The Sox were led by former Penn star Shawn Reamer (.279,18,70), who went 8-for-15 with 6 walks in the series and scored 7 runs. Despite the quick ending it was a tight series as four of the games were decided by just one run.

https://i.imgur.com/fdiQ57H.jpg

OTHER NOTES
Another .400 season for Roland Point. The 25 year old infielder hit exactly .400 this season, his fifth with the West Texas-New Mexico League's Abilene Blue Sox. After batting .340 as a rookie pro in 1901, Point has hit .400 each of the past 4 seasons and has won 4 straight batting titles.

After losing in the championship series last season, the Tampico Alijadores claimed another Mexican League playoff title - their fourth - with a 7 game victory over the Mexico City Red Devils.

The Trois-Rivieres Phillies won the Canadian Series in 6 games over the Victoria Royals. It was the third time in 5 years the two clubs have met. Victoria won in 1901 while the Phillies prevailed in 1902.

Code:

International League  Montreal Royals                Brooklyn
Pacific Coast League  Los Angeles Angels        Chi Cubs
Southern Association  Chattanooga Lookouts        Washington
Texas League              Shreveport Sports        Chi White Sox
Eastern League              Hartford Chiefs                Bos Braves
SALLY League              Savannah Indians                Phi Athletics
Three I League              Davenport Cubs                Chi Cubs
Interstate League      Allentown Cardinals        StL Cardinals
West Texas-New Mex L  Lamesa Lobos                Independent

Tiger Fan 07-28-2019 08:46 PM

1905 part II

1905 - Other Sports

HOCKEY

For a change the Stanley Cup winner was not named the Montreal Wanderers. It was not because another club finally knocked off the 4-time champions but instead because the Wanderers franchise was sold to new owners. The team remained in Montreal, at least for the time being, and was rebranded as the Montreal Maroons. Call it what you want, the franchise still made the playoffs but this time they were in an unfamiliar spot as the Maroons finished second to the Ottawa Senators in the regular season.

It made no difference come playoff time as the Maroons won yet again, beating Ottawa 2 games to one with the deciding game ending on an overtime goal by Denis Ryan, who was named playoff MVP. Ryan also won the league scoring title but it was teammate Joseph Matheson who was named regular season MVP for the 3rd time in his career.

Code:

ULCHL STANDINGS 1905-06

Ottawa Senators                40 21 11  8  50
Montreal Maroons        40 20 15  5  45
Toronto St Pats                40 19 17  4  42
Quebec Bulldogs                40 17 17  6  40
Hamilton Tigers                40 15 17  8  38
Montreal Canadiens      40 10 25  5  25

Denis Ryan            MonM    40  11 24  35
Samuel Sproule            Que    40  8 27  35
Derek Edur            Que            35  18 16  34
Richard McVeigh    Tor    40  18 16  34
Patrick Harper            MonM    40  12 21  33
Sailor Hilborn            MonC    40  15 17  32

COLLEGE FOOTBALL

Tiny Grinnell College in Iowa won a National Championship in 1905 following a perfect season. In real life Grinnell is now a D-3 team but they have a rich history including hosting the first college football game played west of the Mississippi in 1889. Grinnell was a member of the Missouri Valley Conference in the early days and actually tied for the conference title in 1929.

In this sim, Grinnell has had seasons of 7-5,6-6,7-5 and 9-3 before there perfect run this year. They don't play the toughest schedule in the MVC but a Cotton Bowl win over 11-1 (entering the game) Washington gave the Pioneers their perfect season. They beat the Huskies handily as well, with the final score 34-16. Grinnell's senior running back Tex Blanton had an outstanding season with 1,818 yards rushing and 15 touchdowns. In 49 career games at Grinnell, Blanton would rush for 6,396 yards which placed him second all-time.

Michigan and Notre Dame could perhaps each make a case for deserving the number one ranking as their schedule's were much harder. Unfortunately each club stumbled once during the regular season but both recovered with solid bowl wins. The Wolverines hammered Cal 40-3 in a Rose Bowl rematch while Notre Dame doubled Texas Tech 28-14 in the Sugar Bowl. Other bowl games saw Utah beat Duke 31-28 in the Orange Bowl, Harvard blasted North Carolina 50-17 in the Tangerine Bowl, Northwestern topped Villanova 39-10 in the Gator Bowl while New Mexico beat Furman 30-20 in the Citrus Bowl.

It must have been quite the season in the Western Conference as Michigan, Northwestern, Ohio State and Minnesota all finished in the top 14 with Michigan State just outside the top twenty. Unfortunately, they all beat up on each other denying any of them a National Title.

Code:

1  Grinnell                13-0                1
 2  Michigan                12-1                2
 3  Notre Dame                12-1                3
 4  New Mexico                11-2                11
 5  California                11-2                15
 6  Texas Tech                11-2                6
 7  Duke                12-1                7
 8  Utah                11-2                5
 9  Tennessee                10-2                4
10  Northwestern        10-3                13
11  Washington                11-2                10
12  Stanford                10-2                14
13  Ohio State                10-2                17
14  Minnesota                10-2                8
15  Kansas State        10-2                9
16  Furman                11-2                12
17  Pittsburgh                9-3                17
18  Fordham                9-3                46
19  San Francisco        10-2                57
20  Kansas                9-3                18

COLLEGE BASKETBALL

Defending National Champion Indiana had a huge season but it was a year of upsets in the NCAA tournament and for the first time in the tournament's 5 year history, the Hoosiers failed to make the Final Four. Indiana went 32-2 on the year, losing to Kansas in December and not dropping another game until they were upset by 3 seed Cincinnati in the Midwest Regional Final. It was a rough tournament for number one seeds as North Carolina was shocked in it's South Region opener by tiny Muhlenburg College as the 8th seed pulled out a 64-62 victory. In the end the four seed Bradley would come out of the South after the Braves beat 3 seed LSU handily in the regional final. It was the same in the East as number one seed Holy Cross lost to the 8th seeded Ivy League champs Dartmouth in the tournament opener. West Virginia, a 3 seed this year, would advance from the East Region. The only number one to reach the final four came from out west as Pacific Coast Conference champion Cal beat conference rival and 7 seed Washington in the West Final, after the Huskies had knocked off number 2 Oklahoma A&M and number 6 Kansas in successive games.

As the only 1 seed to make it to the Final Four, the California Bears were the favourites on the final weekend. Cal had a new head coach in Toby Rogers, who had spent the previous 4 seasons at West Virginia and won an NCAA title with the Mountaineers. Rogers would be named NCAA coach of the year this season but he inherited a ton of talent with the Bears including senior SF Jerry Winkler, who would be a first team all-american, and guards Dooley Conti and Joe Darling - both seniors who would be named 3rd team All-Americans. Their opponent would be Bradley, 25-6 and in it's second final four in three years. Despite a game high 30 points from junior forward Stewart Albers, the Braves fell 83-73 as Cal got 25 points from Conti and 20 from Winkler.

The other semi-final had Cincinnati making it's first final four appearance against West Virginia, which had won the National Championship two years ago and lost in the title game last season. The young Bearcats, led by 14 points each from sophomore Ensign Collins and true freshman Mem Charron, would upset the experienced Mountaineers 76-68 to advance to the title game.

After a tight first half that saw California leading by just 1 point, the Bears pulled away in the second half and ended up beating Cincinnati by 7 to win the National Championship. It was the experienced senior guards of Cal that made the difference as Dooley Conti had 24 points and Joe Darling added 18 to go along with 8 assists.

https://i.imgur.com/yKR9NSq.jpg

Code:

1905-06 CONFERENCE STANDINGS
(T-in 32 team Tournament)
WESTERN      CW CL  W  L

Indiana        -T  12  0  31  2
Iowa -T            10  2  23  7
Northwestern  7  5  18 12
Michigan      6  6  13 17
Ohio State    6  6  16 14
Minnesota    6  6  12 17
Illinois      5  7  14 15
Purdue        3  9  7 22
Wisconsin    3  9  9 20
Chicago              3  9  7 22

IVY GROUP    CW CL  W  L

Dartmouth -T  6  4  14 18
Yale          6  4  19 11
Columbia      6  4  14 15
Pennsylvania  5  5  12 18
Princeton      4  6  11 18
Cornell        3  7  10 19

Kansas State -T 10  2  27  5
Kansas -T        9  3  19 12
Missouri -T        7  5  19 11
Oklahoma        6  6  16 13
Iowa State        5  7  12 18
Nebraska        3  9  5 23
Drake            2 10  6 23

Colorado -T          7  1  21  9
Colorado A&M      3  5  16 13
Denver                  2  6  7 22

Cal-T                  6  1  30  4
Idaho                  5  2  14 16
Washington -T          4  3  21 11
Washington State  3  4  17 13
Stanford          3  4  16 13
Oregon State          3  4  17 12
Southern Cal      2  5  13 17
Oregon        -T            2  5  19 12

North Carolina-T 10  1  26  6
Kentucky -T          9  2  25  9
N Carolina St -T  8  3  26  9
Virginia  -T          7  4  25  8
Clemson                  6  5  12 18
Georgia Tech      6  5  16 15
Alabama          5  6  16 14
Alabama Polytech  5  6  13 18
Tennessee          3  8  8 22
Georgia                  3  8  6 23
Virginia Tech          2  9  7 22
Mississippi State 2  9  6 23

Oklahoma A&M  -T  9  1  26  5
Rice                  6  4  15 14
Texas A&M            5  5  12 17
SMU  -T                  5  5  18 12
Texas                  3  7  12 17
Baylor                  2  8  12 17

West Virginia        -T        28  6
Holy Cross  -T                27  4
Duquesne  -T                26  4
Utah        -T                26  6
Cincinnati -T                26  8
Bradley        -T                25  8
LSU        -T                25  8
South Carolina        -T        24  6
Notre Dame -T                23  7
Saint Louis  -T                22  9
Muhlenburg  -T                21 10
Michigan State        -T        20 10
TCU        -T                20 10
Miami(Oh)  -T                20 12
Dayton          -T                20 12
Boston College                19 10
Arizona State                19 11
Louisville  -T                19 12
Georgetown                17 12
New York University        17 12
Ohio                        17 12
UCLA                        17 12
St John's                17 13
Pittsburgh                17 13
Duke                        17 13
Bowling Green                16 13
Marshall                16 13
Rutgers                        16 13
St Mary's                16 13
Tulsa                        16 13
Northern Colorado        16 13
Wyoming                        16 13
Maryland                16 13
George Washington        16 14
St Joseph's(Pa)                16 14
Florida                        15 14
Marquette                15 14
Penn State                15 14
Santa Clara                15 14
Seton Hall                15 14
Temple                        15 14

The National Player of the Year was Holy Cross center Wally Schmidt. The 6'10" junior from Burnt Hills, New York averaged 17.7 ppg for the 27-4 Crusaders this season. He was ranked the 51st best prospect in his high school senior year but made the National All-Freshman team before being named a 3rd team All-American last year as a sophomore. Schmidt was joined by one other Junior as first team All-Americans this year in Indiana guard John Lesley. The other three were all seniors but only two of them, Oklahoma A&M PF Big Roe and Kentucky guard Karl Hudson, would be selected in the EBL draft. Both were late second round picks with Roe going to Wilmington and Hudson to Patterson.

The Freshman of the Year was Kentucky guard Pug Marvin, who you may recall was talked about last year when he was the MVP of the High School all-star game. Marvin, from Buffalo, was a starter right away as a freshman at Kentucky, averaging 11.8 ppg on the season as he helped Kentucky to a 25-9 record and to the regional semi-finals.

Code:

NCAA TOURNAMENT HISTORY
YR      WINNER        OPPONENT        SCORE  OTHER FINAL FOUR TEAMS

1901-02  BRADLEY        Indiana                79-64    Holy Cross, Duquesne
1902-03  KENTUCKY      Iowa                68-59    Indiana, Duquesne
1903-04  WEST VIRGINIA  Indiana        75-71    Bradley, California
1904-05  INDIANA        West Virginia  65-49    Holy Cross, Iowa
1905-06  CALIFORNIA    Cincinnati        68-61    Bradley, West Virginia

Despite missing the Final Four for the first time in school history, Indiana still had plenty to crow about in 1905-06. Not only did the Hoosiers win at least a share of the Western Conference title for the fourth time in 5 years, they also finished with the best record in college basketball at 31-2 and are 154-18 since the sim began in 1901. Indiana also came away with the top recruiting class this year led by 3 guards ranked in the top twenty players: Bob DeLuca, who was Mr. Basketball in Illinois, Fay Anthony the top player in Tennessee high school ball and Georgia high school player of the year LeGrant Bingham.

The second best recruiting class belong to Duquesne as the Dukes landed #5 Eddie Aldridge, a guard from Seneca, South Carolina, #6 Ed Patterson a forward from Newfield, New York and the 10th ranked player in Odenville, Alabama PG Luther Bracken. The top recruit in the nation was Rocky Mount, North Carolina forward Ralph Ridgway and he would choose Cincinnati with Duquesne also in the running.

PRO BASKETBALL

The Eastern Basketball League expanded to 11 teams this season with the addition of another Pennsylvania based team in the McKeesport Keys. The Keys would finish last overall in the league, compiling a 12-48 record on the season. However, McKeesport can take comfort in the potential for their future just by looking at what another expansion team in the Reading Bears accomplished in their second season. After finishing in the West Division cellar in their inaugural year last season, the Bears won the West Division with a 38-22 record. The Bears success can be pinned on three players: All-Star guard George Green who averaged 18.1 ppg and 10.2 assists per game, second year shooting guard Otho Legg, who averaged 18.9 ppg and rookie of the year Al Margolis. The West Virginia product led the Bears in scoring and was the league's top rookie despite not being drafted until the second round.

A big reason why Wilmington fell to second place in the West was the fact that center Dick Hauge missed the final 13 games due to injury. He was still a first team all-star and led the league in points per game but the time off cost Hauge a second straight MVP award. Instead the MVP went to Willard McNew of Pittsburgh Homesteaders, who fell to 4th this year. The Philadelphia Wheelers were third for the third year in a row with Josef Wettermann and Joe Hubbard again leading the way.

The East Division belonged to the New York Wanderers as they enjoyed their best season yet, going 43-17. The Wanderers had four solid scoring threats in returning stars Ciriaco Ferrer (21.7 ppg) and Chester Lee (19.0 ppg) plus Duane Taylor (14.9), a 3rd year center who came over from Camden, and rookie forward Deacon Mitchel, who averaged 16.7 ppg after being selected 10th overall out of Duquesne. The offensive firepower made the Wanderers the first EBL team to average over 100 points per game.

Second place Paterson was nearly as strong offensively as the Wanderers. The Crescents had 3 twenty-point per game scorers in Wally Baker, Al Humphry and Jimmy Hurlburt. Camden, led by Bennie Lent and Rufus Nickerson, finished third. Fourth place Bristol leaned heavily on Harvy Stevens but it looks like he may finally have someone to play with as newcomer Buddy Neville made the All-Rookie team after being selected first overall out of Bradley. Ed Brayton, a second year pro out of Indiana, also gives Bristol fans some hope for the future. The Trenton Potters dropped to last place after finishing second a year ago primarily because of an injury that cost Orlin Burdick more than half of the season. Corky Gipson (20.8 ppg) and Rags Hockett (19.1 ppg) still excelled but there was not enough depth with Burdick sidelined.

Code:

1905-06 EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE STANDINGS

New York Wanderers        43 17  -
Paterson Crescents        39 21  4.0
Camden Electrics        29 31  14.0
Bristol Pile Drivers        28 32  15.0
Trenton Potters                20 40  23.0

Reading Bears                38 22    -
Wilmington Peaches        36 24  2.0
Philadelphia Wheelers        34 26  4.0
Pittsburgh Homesteaders 32 28  6.0
Johnstown Johnnies        19 41  19.0
McKeesport Keys                12 48  26.0

SCORING LEADERS    TM    PPG

Dick Hauge          WIL  28.8
Wally Baker          PAT  26.2
Bennie Lent          CAM  24.4
Willard McNew    PIT  23.2
Joe Hubbard          PHI  21.7
Ciriaco Ferrer    NY    21.7
John Benda          McK  21.7
Al Humphry        PAT  20.8
Corky Gipson      TRE  20.8
Jimmy Hurlburt    PAT  20.6

Code:

1905-06 ALL LEAGUE FIRST TEAM                PPG    RPG  APG  SPG  BKPG

C Dick Hauge                Wilmington        28.8  10.9  1.9  0.5  4.8
F Willard McNew                Pittsburgh      23.2  11.1  2.2  1.1  3.0 MVP

F Wally Baker                Paterson        26.2  8.3  1.9  1.2  1.3
G George Green                Reading                18.1  5.6 10.2  1.6  0.2
G Bennie Lent                Camden                24.4  5.1  3.1  1.2  0.9

With Dick Hauge still sidelined the Wilmington Peaches were no match for Reading in the West Semi-Final and the Bears prevailed in 4 games. The East semi-final went the distance with New York winning two at home, before dropping Games 3 and 4 in Paterson. With home court advantage again in the 5th game, the Wanderers squeaked out a 112-109 victory to clinch the series. Jimmy Cunningham, a little talked about third year PG, was on fire in the game, pacing the Wanderers with 25 points while Ciriaco Ferrer and Deacon Mitchell each added 20.

New York's high octane offense was too much for Reading in the finals as the Wanderers swept the series in 3 games. Game 1 saw Cunningham get 27 points and Ferrer 26 in a 117-99 win. Game Two New York won 109-103 behind 25 points from Ferrer and 21 from reserve forward Foster Shanks. The final game was 116-105 as Chester Lee scored 26 while Ferrer and center Duane Taylor each potted 20. Jimmy Cunningham, who enjoyed a breakout playoff, was named the post-season MVP. Cunningham played two seasons at Oklahoma A&M and was the Southwest Conference player of the year in his final season before being taken 4th overall by the Wanderers. He has spent 3 seasons in the New York backcourt and averaged 15.7 ppg and 9.7 apg while being overshadowed by stars Ferrer and Lee.

Code:

EASTERN BASKETBALL LEAGUE CHAMPIONS

01-02  Paterson Crescents defeat Millville Glass Blowers
02-03  Wilmington Peaches defeat Millville Glass Blowers
03-04  Wilmington Peaches defeat Trenton Potters
04-05  Trenton Potters defeat Wilmington Peaches
05-06  New York Wanderers defeat Reading Bears

GOLF

THE MASTERS
Calvin Baumgartner's dominance in Major Tournaments added another chapter as the 33 year old added a Green Jacket to his collection of titles that includes two British Open and two US Open championships. Baumgartner came to Augusta red-hot, having won in Arizona and finished in the top ten in both the Utah and Miami Beach Opens the month before. He would win The Masters by two strokes over another talented golfer in James Fox. Despite some strong showing in recent years, Fox remains glued on two major titles.

Code:

1905 MASTERS LEADERBOARD

Cal Baumgartner  US  +4  $1,619
James Fox        US  +6    $990
Mackenzie Smith SCO  +6    $990
Colin O'Higgins IRE  +6    $990
Lord Lovett    ENG  +7    $380
Zack Sullivan    US  +8    $341
Matthew Allan  SCO  +8    $341

US OPEN
Brae Burn in Massachusetts hosted it's first US Open in 1905 and the winner was Clem Jordan, an American golfer who had come close in the past but had never won a major. James Fox and Irishman Colin O'Higgins followed up strong showings at Augusta with another top five finish for each of them while last year's US Open runner-up Gordon Dendy was also in contention.

Code:

1904 US OPEN LEADERBOARD

Clem Jordan      US  -7  $1,799
Allen Lane      US  -5  $1,100
Colin O'Higgins IRE  -3    $800
Finn Drysdale  AUS  -2    $500
James Fox        US  -2    $500
Gordon Dendy    US  -1    $379
Luther Swartz    US  -1    $379

BRITISH OPEN
The British Open returned to St Andrews for the fourth time and native Scotsman and Euro Tour regular Angus Wilson came away with his first major victory. The 31 year old finished 2 strokes ahead of American Rudy Shaw. Frenchy Savard was in contention in a major for the first time since winning a pair of them a year ago. Savard finished in a tie for 6th place, 6 strokes back.

Code:

1905 BRITISH OPEN LEADERBOARD

Angus Wilson    SCO  -3  $1,754
Rudy Shaw      US  -1  $1,072
Michael Tracis  US  +1  $780
Harris Crawford US  +2  $487
Floyd Foale    US  +2  $487
Frenchy Savard  US  +3  $370
Luther Swartz  US  +3  $370
Thomas Milne    SCO  +3  $370

PGA CHAMPIONSHIP
Flossmoor Country Club in Illinois played host to the 1905 PGA Championship. The course was also home to the initial PGA in 1896, an event won by James Fox. Fox had another strong showing this year, finishing in a tie for 10th with young German Albert Lichtman. The winner was a first-time major champ who has rarely been seen on the leaderboard of a major tournament. A 37 year old golfer by the name of Fritz Hobbs. Hobbs took the lead on Thursday with a 4-under par 68, dropped following back to back 75's on Friday and Saturday before finishing with a 71, the best round of the day, on Sunday to win by 3 strokes. Vince Cummins finished second on the strength of 3 straight par rounds, but a 76 on Thursday which left him 8 strokes back was too much to overcome. Ireland's Liam Hogan was the leader entering Sunday but he imploded with a final round 79 and remains in search of his first major.

Code:

1905 PGA CHAMPIONSHIP LEADERBOARD

Fritz Hobbs      US  +1  $1,709
Vince Cummins    US  +4  $1,045
Liam Hogan      IRE  +7  $760
Michael Travis  US  +8  $475
Ike Hill        US  +8  $475
Rip Olson        US  +8  $475
Colin O'Higgins IRE  +9  $341
Jeff Lawrence    US  +9  $341
Jordan Ritchie  SCO  +9  $341

Here is the list of all-time major winners thru 1905 (minimum 2 titles)
Code:

MAJOR TOURNAMENT WINNERS

Calvin Baumgartner        5
Frenchy Savard                2