OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Inactive teams (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303267)

mso94 05-16-2019 02:22 AM

Inactive teams

Is there a way to reactivate a team after it has been set to inactive ?

andyhdz 05-16-2019 02:50 PM

Nope. I wish there was. This happens A LOT in the Mexican league as a team will go dormant for years or decades and suddenly reappear and the new team takes on the old team name and history. Sadly you can't do this in OOTP.

Syd Thrift 05-19-2019 07:34 PM

I don't know... in US sports I think the "revived franchise" thing is just window dressing. Like, I know the NFL likes to say that the current Cleveland Browns franchise inherited the legacy of the old team and the Baltimore Ravens are the "expansion team" but in reality they moved and the new Browns are a brand new franchise. Likewise when the NBA expands back to Seattle we might think of them as the team of Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp but that team is gone away (and I think the city sports memories are the important bit anyway).

If you *know* a team is going to come back later you could always just keep them in the league with no roster while they're "suspended". Youd have to do some weird things with the schedule to make it work and youd also have to do something about the draft (maybe give one team two picks?) but it's doable I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Findest2001 05-19-2019 07:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4490752)
I don't know... in US sports I think the "revived franchise" thing is just window dressing. Like, I know the NFL likes to say that the current Cleveland Browns franchise inherited the legacy of the old team and the Baltimore Ravens are the "expansion team" but in reality they moved and the new Browns are a brand new franchise. Likewise when the NBA expands back to Seattle we might think of them as the team of Gary Payton and Shawn Kemp but that team is gone away (and I think the city sports memories are the important bit anyway).

If you *know* a team is going to come back later you could always just keep them in the league with no roster while they're "suspended". Youd have to do some weird things with the schedule to make it work and youd also have to do something about the draft (maybe give one team two picks?) but it's doable I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I have always thought this. Especially in the NFL...with the Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, Ravens/Browns, heck didn't Philly used to be the Colts? It's so confusing lol

Charley575 05-19-2019 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findest2001 (Post 4490768)
I have always thought this. Especially in the NFL...with the Oakland/Los Angeles/Oakland Raiders, Ravens/Browns, heck didn't Philly used to be the Colts? It's so confusing lol

When I was growing up in the 80's the Colts were the Baltimore Colts. Then they moved to Indy. Then the Browns moved to Baltimore. Then Cleveland got an expansion team by the same name as the team that left for Baltimore. Seems like the NFL feels obligated to "replace" teams that move.

Syd Thrift 05-20-2019 08:32 AM

And yet, nobody ever bothered to replace the Providence Steam Roller...

WahooSam309 05-20-2019 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findest2001 (Post 4490768)

The Eagles have always been the Eagles, but there was an unrelated team a few years earlier in the same city called the Frankford Yellow Jackets.

jeffw3000 05-20-2019 05:33 PM

I think the way MLB has handled things make much more sense than the NFL and other leagues. In MLB has always been if a team comes into existence that becomes that team. If they move the history is still the same. The Washington Senators moved to Minnesota to become the Twins, and then a new Washington Senators team came into existence and then moved to Texas. The Washington Senators/Minnesota Twins are the same, and the Washington Senators/Texas Rangers are the same team. The Montreal Expos/Washington Nationals are the same team. To me that is the logical way to look at it.