OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Simple ball flight (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=228402)

akw4572 02-21-2013 05:29 PM

Simple ball flight

Any way we can get some better ball flight animations? I want to see some variation, not just G, L, and F, for what they respectively mean. I'd like to see a flyable, really "fly", with something like a shadow underneath.

thevaliantx 02-25-2013 11:17 AM

Nope. There are a handful of folks here who are so in love with the text aspects of OOTP, and their technology is so old that any graphics would have been done in ASCII. :laugh:

All kidding aside some of the most ardent supporters of OOTP really don't want to see animations in the game.

Cryomaniac 02-25-2013 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thevaliantx (Post 3451082)
Nope. There are a handful of folks here who are so in love with the text aspects of OOTP, and their technology is so old that any graphics would have been done in ASCII. :laugh:

All kidding aside some of the most ardent supporters of OOTP really don't want to see animations in the game.

I don't think what the OP is suggesting would be hugely different to what it is now.

Westheim 02-25-2013 01:37 PM

I like the suggestion, since I'm playing out all my games and I can follow the path of the ball and the play-by-play at the bottom - but for the love of socks, I can't keep up with the L/F/G thing. I can't "see" it. Strange to explain, but I'm strange anyway. :confused:

akw4572 02-25-2013 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 3451126)
I don't think what the OP is suggesting would be hugely different to what it is now.

Exactly. I hate to bring up other games but simple ball flight like what's in Puresim.......just a shadow to let you know the "ball" is in the air, or something. The letter thing drives me nuts.

playball335 02-25-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by akw4572 (Post 3451313)
Exactly. I hate to bring up other games but simple ball flight like what's in Puresim.......just a shadow to let you know the "ball" is in the air, or something. The letter thing drives me nuts.

I agree as well, I don't know why but it makes a big difference for an immersion factor for me. Nothing fancy, a shadow to depict height would suffice. Would this be hard to add Markus?

knightdreamer2k 02-26-2013 11:45 AM

I might be firing a cannon shot but... Why not add video clips of different plays?

I remember ages ago microleague football doing this showing black and white clips of players make a catch and the QB dropping back to throw. I think this would enhance the game a lot.
With this add dynamic crowd sounds which change with the game situation it to me would be undisputed king of the text sim world.

Cryomaniac 02-26-2013 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k (Post 3451636)
I might be firing a cannon shot but... Why not add video clips of different plays?

I remember ages ago microleague football doing this showing black and white clips of players make a catch and the QB dropping back to throw. I think this would enhance the game a lot.
With this add dynamic crowd sounds which change with the game situation it to me would be undisputed king of the text sim world.

Dunno about video clips, but my personal idea would be to animate, using dots for players and a smaller dot for the ball, various versions of each play outcome and play them as necessary alongside the PbP. I don't have a means of creating animated gifs, else I'd mock something up lol.

knightdreamer2k 02-26-2013 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 3451652)
Dunno about video clips, but my personal idea would be to animate, using dots for players and a smaller dot for the ball, various versions of each play outcome and play them as necessary alongside the PbP. I don't have a means of creating animated gifs, else I'd mock something up lol.

If only I could show you how cool it was to see routine plays taken from actual games was. :) Imagine seeing a liner in the gap along with the text playing out. I like the dot idea as a start but I would like to see a combo with the dot going toward the ball and a quick clip showing the fielder making a toss to first for an example. I think they could work together, and you really don't need a whole lot of clips.

ctorg 03-05-2013 01:57 PM

I'd just like to see Earl Weaver level ball flight. That's a game that came out in 1987. It can't possibly take a lot of computing power. But it let you create your own graphical stadiums based on dimensions and it clearly showed the ball path (you could even set the speed of the animation!).

The Wolf 03-05-2013 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k (Post 3451719)
If only I could show you how cool it was to see routine plays taken from actual games was. :) Imagine seeing a liner in the gap along with the text playing out. I like the dot idea as a start but I would like to see a combo with the dot going toward the ball and a quick clip showing the fielder making a toss to first for an example. I think they could work together, and you really don't need a whole lot of clips.

I'll quit the game the day it has that kind of crap in it.

David Watts 03-05-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightdreamer2k (Post 3451719)

How repetitive would this be? I have a feeling I wouldn't make it through a weeks worth of games and I would be sick of it. I already know what a liner to the gap looks like, so I imagine it.

Cryomaniac 03-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by David Watts (Post 3456612)
How repetitive would this be? I have a feeling I wouldn't make it through a weeks worth of games and I would be sick of it. I already know what a liner to the gap looks like, so I imagine it.

That's why I like the dots idea that I mentioned, because it could be added to pretty easily. It would essentially be an extension of the text PbP.

David Watts 03-05-2013 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 3456619)
That's why I like the dots idea that I mentioned, because it could be added to pretty easily. It would essentially be an extension of the text PbP.

I agree.

D-BacksJosh 03-05-2013 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cryomaniac (Post 3456619)

I like the dots idea also. Nothing big, just something that gives a basic visual idea of how the play unfolds. I don't want to see video clips, those get annoying fast.

The Wolf 03-05-2013 09:45 PM

As long as it can be turned off.

akw4572 03-06-2013 08:17 AM

I don't want dots representing players until it can be implemented in fine fashion. I'm just asking for a better representation of what is already there.

BigCity 03-06-2013 10:21 AM

Let me throw my 2 cents in... Maybe all we need is an implementation of a "flight arc" on fly balls, a smaller arc for line drives, and a bounce for ground balls - and add pop-ups. This addition would add the secondary "edge of your seat" response many are looking for.

"High fly ball to left center... not sure if it's long enough... Jason going back... and leaps to catch it right at the wall!!"

akw4572 03-06-2013 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCity (Post 3457294)
Let me throw my 2 cents in... Maybe all we need is an implementation of a "flight arc" on fly balls, a smaller arc for line drives, and a bounce for ground balls - and add pop-ups. This addition would add the secondary "edge of your seat" response many are looking for.

"High fly ball to left center... not sure if it's long enough... Jason going back... and leaps to catch it right at the wall!!"

That's exactly what I'm talking about.

knightdreamer2k 03-06-2013 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3456532)
I'll quit the game the day it has that kind of crap in it.

Pretty deep seeded response for such a small addition don't ya think? Either way I'm sure it would be an option. Some kind of new graphical representation will be coming down the pipe it is inevitable. Not every traditionalists is gonna like it. It the end more fans will come in.
With regards to the tv clips it could also show plays like a shortstop making a play deep in the holes. The clips would not show all the time. To each there own I guess.