OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Perfect Game or Just a No Hitter (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=304602)

Bobfather 06-25-2019 08:01 PM

Perfect Game or Just a No Hitter

My pitcher faced 27 bateers and none of the reached base. The only blemish was a dropped foul ball by my 1B. According to OOTP this is a No-Hitter. Since the only thing the error did was make him pitch a few more pitches shouldn't this be a Perfect game. Or is this simply the game not being able to distinguish types of erorrs?

INNOCENTMISERY 06-25-2019 08:22 PM

According to MLB, a perfect game is a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. The pitcher(s) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base.

Therefore, what happened in your game is indeed a no-hitter and not a perfect game.

Bobfather 06-25-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOCENTMISERY (Post 4507472)
According to MLB, a perfect game is a game in which a pitcher (or combination of pitchers) pitches a victory that lasts a minimum of nine innings in which no opposing player reaches base. The pitcher(s) cannot allow any hits, walks, hit batsmen, or any opposing player to reach base safely for any other reason and the fielders cannot make an error that allows an opposing player to reach a base.

Therefore, what happened in your game is indeed a no-hitter and not a perfect game.

But the error did NOT allow a runner to reach base. It was a foul ball. The batter was K'd on the next pitch.

Dyzalot 06-25-2019 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by INNOCENTMISERY (Post 4507472)

Umm... wouldn't it be a perfect game since no one reached base?

NotMuchTime 06-25-2019 10:05 PM

It's a perfect game.

OldFatGuy 06-25-2019 10:28 PM

Yes, this is a perfect game... if in fact no one reached base safely.

Matt Arnold 06-25-2019 11:22 PM

Yes, technically it should be a perfect game, but yeah, we don't distinguish in-game the type of error.

Dyzalot 06-26-2019 01:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4507572)
Yes, technically it should be a perfect game, but yeah, we don't distinguish in-game the type of error.

Possible to rewrite the code so that it looks for an absence of baserunners instead of looking for no hits, walks or errors?

Ty Cobb 06-26-2019 11:15 AM

MLB doesn't seem to directly address this: http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

Maybe someone who's 'connected' should put in a call for an official edict from on high?

BoomerSoonerAMH 06-26-2019 01:20 PM

Perfect game.

The key is that no batter reached any base for any reason. MLB pretty definitively addresses this in the link above with the distinction being that a batter may reach via walk, error, passed ball, wild pitch or catcher’s interference. The definition of a perfect game does not include a requirement for the absence of any errors, thus the OP’s situation meets the definition of a perfect game.

nutt 06-26-2019 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OldFatGuy (Post 4507544)
Yes, this is a perfect game... if in fact no one reached base safely.

Even errors made in fair territory end a perfect game. Ask Clayton Kershaw.

Dyzalot 06-26-2019 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutt (Post 4507966)
Even errors made in fair territory end a perfect game. Ask Clayton Kershaw.

Errors don't end perfect games, baserunners do. And since it is possible for an error to be committed without a resulting baserunner...

nutt 06-26-2019 08:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4507981)
Errors don't end perfect games, baserunners do. And since it is possible for an error to be committed without a resulting baserunner...

If a runner reaches on an error, that is the end of a perfect game. No-hitter stays intact.

But to the foul fly being dropped? Yes, that would still be a perfect game.

Dyzalot 06-26-2019 09:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nutt (Post 4507996)
If a runner reaches on an error, that is the end of a perfect game. No-hitter stays intact.

But to the foul fly being dropped? Yes, that would still be a perfect game.

Why did you reply to me? You said nothing that contradicts my post.

RchW 06-26-2019 11:06 PM

How can an error be scored if the batter/runner doesn't advance?

jmolony3 06-27-2019 12:42 AM

If a player drops a pop fly in foul territory an error can be scored as the play resulted in another opportunity for the batter to reach base.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Drstrangelove 06-27-2019 09:31 AM

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

A dropped foul ball does not allow a batter to reach any base, therefore can't end a perfect game. That's all there is to it. Certain other types of errors, HBP, walks, certain types of interference, base hits, certain types of dropped strikes, do allow a batter to reach a base, so they end perfect games.

As for why it's an error, (and how this type of error does not impact a perfect game), it's an error whenever a defensive player can reasonably be expected to complete a defensive play (with at least one exception) to create an out and fails to do so. This type of error doesn't create a runner however, so it doesn't impact the status as a no hitter or perfect game.

GTAltman 06-27-2019 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RchW (Post 4508067)
How can an error be scored if the batter/runner doesn't advance?

An error is issued if a play should have been made by a professional.
If a C is under a foul ball and it pops in and out of his glove, regardless of where he or the ball is, it's an error.

He should have made the play.

On a side note, a Passed Ball is against a C (obviously) but for scoring purposes any runs that score that shouldn't have would be considered UNEARNED against the pitcher.
Just another oddity, I guess

Bobfather 06-29-2019 01:38 AM

Thanks everyone for the input to my original question. Is there any way to edit a correction in the player history etc?

nutt 06-29-2019 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4508025)
Why did you reply to me? You said nothing that contradicts my post.

This is what I meant by my first post and not the original reply. I was referring to Clayton Kershaw pitching a no-hitter, facing 28 batters, and one reaching by error. This quote below:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove (Post 4508182)
http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/official_info...egulations.jsp

An official perfect game occurs when a pitcher (or pitchers) retires each batter on the opposing team during the entire course of a game, which consists of at least nine innings. In a perfect game, no batter reaches any base during the course of the game.

A dropped foul ball does not allow a batter to reach any base, therefore can't end a perfect game. That's all there is to it. Certain other types of errors, HBP, walks, certain types of interference, base hits, certain types of dropped strikes, do allow a batter to reach a base, so they end perfect games.

As for why it's an error, (and how this type of error does not impact a perfect game), it's an error whenever a defensive player can reasonably be expected to complete a defensive play (with at least one exception) to create an out and fails to do so. This type of error doesn't create a runner however, so it doesn't impact the status as a no hitter or perfect game.

That's why I referred to Kershaw.