OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 19 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3935)
-   -   Importing Multiple Historical Players (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=290244)

Sox2013 06-04-2018 10:11 PM

Importing Multiple Historical Players

Hey, all. I'm trying to create a custom all-time-greats league using the top 3-5 players from each team at each position, plus the top 10 starting pitchers and top 14 relievers, across all eras. I know I can import each player individually, then assign them to their teams, but as I recall there is a way to import multiple historical players all at once and automatically assign them to their appropriate teams. However, all the methods I have found in searching (mostly for OOTP 16 or earlier) don't work. Is there a guide somewhere, or is there someone willing to walk me through it? Thanks!

Curve Ball Dave 06-04-2018 10:48 PM

Make a text (txt) file that lists all of the players you want to import. You'll need to put, in order, the player ID, year, and the abbreviation of the team (has to match the abbreviation of the team in your league) to which he is assigned.

So say you want to import Bob Gibson from 1964 and put him on the Cardinals. On the txt file you'd list:

gibsobo01,1964, StL

Keep listing until you have your roster. In the "Import Historical Player" screen you'll see where you can select a txt file for import.

Sox2013 06-04-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curve Ball Dave (Post 4332143)
Make a text (txt) file that lists all of the players you want to import. You'll need to put, in order, the player ID, year, and the abbreviation of the team (has to match the abbreviation of the team in your league) to which he is assigned.

So say you want to import Bob Gibson from 1964 and put him on the Cardinals. On the txt file you'd list:

gibsobo01,1964, StL

Keep listing until you have your roster. In the "Import Historical Player" screen you'll see where you can select a txt file for import.

I tried that. An example of the text file:

hoilech01, 1993, bal
lopezja02, 2004, bal
tettlmi01, 1989, bal
sislege01, 1920, bal
gentiji01, 1961, bal
davisch02, 2013, bal

EDIT: Now I got them to import, but I still have to manually assign them their teams. They are not automatically importing to the team.

Curve Ball Dave 06-05-2018 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sox2013 (Post 4332153)
EDIT: Now I got them to import, but I still have to manually assign them their teams. They are not automatically importing to the team.

Double check that the team abbreviations match exactly.

mitchkenn 06-05-2018 12:29 PM

in a recent test -Baltimore was BAL ... all caps, don't know if that's the issue????

actionjackson 01-10-2019 05:20 PM

Totally frustrated with this. When I import one at a time from the Spritze database using the regular lahman ID (e.g. ruthba01,1927), everything works peachy keen, easy peezy. When I import one at a time using a non-lahman ID e.g. Shohei Otani (ID: OtaniSh31J, season year: 2012 [I always import the year prior to the Spritze debut year, which is usually somewhere around a player's age 18 season, because my draft occurs in the November prior to the player's debut season]), everything gets fubared. The import succeeds, but he has no real life stats to base his ratings on, so he comes in playing a random position, unable to play defense and unable to hit. He doesn't pitch either...because no real life stats. :angry: But wait there's more, and this one reeeally baffles me. When I try to use the "OR select text file containing numerous entries:" feature, and select my .txt file, it says the import was successful...Yet no players show up on the free agents page. So I decided to try to assign him to a team e.g. OtaniSh31J,2012,BOS - no dice. I don't know what else to do here, but I sure am frustrated. :angry: Apologies for my negative tone, but this is ridiculous.

EDIT: I just used a .txt file with players that have normal lahman IDs (i.e. major leaguers and other players that use the ruthba01 format), and all the players imported correctly, with proper real life stats, which results in ratings that suit the said players. I give up. :(