OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Dynasty Reports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Through the Facade - A Yankees Story (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=231565)

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 09:54 PM

Through the Facade - A Yankees Story

Yankees Gear Up For Season Minus Stars

https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...6cv_X2VfT_-HJA

BRONX- The boss has been gone for a few years now and things have changed in Yankee-ville. Over the off-season Hank and Hal offered their ultimatum to Brian Cashman, get beneath the $189 million mark to stop the luxury tax from denting their dense wallets. Cashman was forced to make some tough decisions, letting free agents Nick Swisher, Russell Martin and Rafael Soriano walk while failing to pursue big name free agents demanding large contracts in order to meet his bosses requests.

To make matters worse, Yankees suffered a plethora of injuries in the off-season. Yankees legend Derek Jeter is out for at least the first month after injuring his ankle in last season's playoff series with the Detroit Tigers, Alex Rodriguez is out until the All-Star break after another off-season hip surgery, Mark Teixiera injured his wrist in the World Baseball Classic and is out for until June, and Curtis Granderson is also out until June with a forearm injury suffered after being hit by a pitch in Spring Training.

With multiple stars injured, the Yankees turn to a bunch of seasoned veterans. The opening day squad will feature scrap-heap players like Travis Hafner, Lyle Overbay, and Ben Francisco along with off-season acquisitions Vernon Wells and Kevin Youkilis. They join Yankee holdovers Robinson Cano, Ichiro Suzuki and Eduardo Nunez. The tandem of Francisco Cervelli and Chris Stewart will man the backstop.

Not all is doom and gloom in the Bronx this Spring. Albeit old, the Yankees return all 5 starting pitchers from last year. If Ivan Nova can return to 2011 form and Andy Pettitte and Hiroki Kuroda don't age the Yankees could have a damn good pitching staff. They also have David Phelps, who is waiting in the wings in case a starter goes down with injury. Returning to the Yankees after tearing his ACL last spring is Mariano Rivera, who will probably be appearing in his last season in the bigs. The Yankees also return relievers Boone Logan, David Robertson and Joba Chamberlain. Expect to see Michael Pineda back with the team in mid-August, early September.

The final move the Yankees made this off-season didn't affect them on the field, it happened in the front office. Brian Cashman hired 18-year-old Kevin West as Assistant General Manager. West is expected to help Cashman out with money management and provides an extra set of eyes in what will be a taxing season for Yankees Front Office personnel.

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 10:21 PM

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...hmK5WOBzG4Wy3w
Yankees Assistant GM Exclusive Interview
A few weeks after being named Assistant GM of the New York Yankees, our ownJohn Wertheim sits down to discuss the state of the Yankees with Kevin West.

Q: Welcome Mr. West, we have a lot of questions for you today so we'll jump right in.

A: Sounds good.

Q: Okay. First, we'd like to hear your thoughts on the demands by owner Hank Steinbrenner to get under the $189 luxury tax number.

A: Well there's really not much to talk about here, Mr. Steinbrenner told us that we need to move our payroll, which is currently at $216.5 million down to $189 million. It really shouldn't be too hard, we have almost $100 million coming off the books after this season and we only have to cut about $27 million.

Q: You may have $100 million coming off the books, but that includes the loss of Robinson Cano, Curtis Granderson and Phil Hughes. Are you currently working on negotiations with those players?

A: That's a great question, we are currently just in the talking with those three players, but we expect progress to be made as the season goes on. Remember though, Andy Pettitte and Mariano Rivera are both planning on retiring at the end of this season and they're making a combined $22 million this season and that's only two players!

Q: Very true. What about Alex Rodriguez? He's slated to make over $100 million over the next five seasons?

A: While Alex is slated to make $28 million this season, that per year number begins to drop off next season. We're confident that once he returns from his injury, he can continue to be a productive Yankee all the way until the end of his contract. Luckily for us and for him, we have the DH slot which we plan to use to keep him healthy over the remainder of his contract.

Q: One final question, how do you think you're battered team will play over the first two months while key starters are out with injuries?

A: I think our team is going to be just fine. We have a number of seasoned veterans who we believe can still play at a competitive level. The good thing about this season is that we have so many good players on the disabled list, that when they return from their injuries, it's like acquiring a guy in a trade for nothing.

Q: Thank you for your time Mr. West. Good luck this season.

A: Thank you.

defo22 04-26-2013 10:29 PM

Looking forward to following your career

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 10:37 PM

http://espn1380.com/upload/image/MLB%20on%20ESPN(1).bmp
Play Ball! Girardi Submits Line-Up Card to ESPN

CF Brett Gardner
Last Season: 10-31 (.323), 0 HR, 3 RBI, 7 runs, 2 SB.

2B Robinson Cano
Last Season: 196-627 (.313), 33 HR, 94 RBI, 105 runs.

LF Vernon Wells
Last Season: 56-243 (.230), 11 HR, 29 RBI, 36 runs.

1B Kevin Youkilis
Last Season: 103-438 (.235), 19 HR, 60 RBI, 72 runs.

DH Travis Hafner
Last Season: 50-219 (.228), 12 HR, 34 RBI, 23 runs.

SS Eduardo Nunez
Last Season: 26-89 (.292), 1 HR, 11 RBI, 14 runs.

1B Lyle Overbay
Last Season: 30-116 (.259), 2 HR, 10 RBI, 12 runs.

C Francisco Cervelli
Last Season (AAA): 87-354 (.246), 2 HR, 39 RBI, 42 runs.

RF Ichiro Suzuki
Last Season: 178-629 (.283), 9 HR, 55 RBI, 77 runs.

SP CC Sabathia
Last Season: 15-6, 3.38 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 200.0 IP.

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 10:50 PM

CC Dominance, Hafner Homerun Carries Yanks Over Rival Red Sox on Opening Day

http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ps4494309f.png

BRONX- CC Sabathia started off the year right with a beautiful 8 inning, 6-hit performance. CC struck out 11 Red Sox hitters while allowing only 1 run off a solo homerun to to Dustin Pedroia. He handed the ball off to Mariano Rivera, who is in his final season with the Yankees who notched his first save of the season. The save was also Rivera's first since tearing his ACL shagging fly balls last June in a game against the Kansas City Royals.

The Yankees scratched one run across in the 3rd inning off of a wild pitch by Jon Lester. Lester went 6.1 innings and allowed 5 hits and 3 runs while walking 5 and striking out 4. The big blow for the Yankees came in the 5th inning, when free agent acquisition Travis Hafner belted a 2-run homerun over the right-centerfield fence. The Yankees would add another run in the 8th after Lyle Overbay doubled and Chris Stewart singled him in.

Game Notes...Yankee off-season acquisitions accounted for 3 of the Yankees 8 hits...Eduardo Nunez was 1-3 in the first Yankee opening day without Derek Jeter in over a decade...Chris Stewart had an RBI pinch hit single for Francisco Cervelli in the 8th inning...Ichiro accounted for the other 3 Yankees hits, going 3-4 with 1 run...The Yankees will rest tomorrow before sending out Phil Hughes in game 2 and Hiroki Kuroda in game 3 to face Ryan Dempster and Clay Buchholz respectively.

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 11:05 PM

Nunez Tears Hamstring, Expected to Miss a Month
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...fuws2f1TbAp4uX
BRONX- The injury bug has struck the Yankees once again. This time SS Eduardo Nunez will be missing time. He tore his hamstring running the bases in the Yankees in the 2nd inning of a 12-4 blowout loss to the Red Sox. The Yankees had been going for a series sweep after beating the Red Sox 8-4 in the middle game of the series.

This is especially troublesome news for the Yankees, who already have starting SS Derek Jeter on the disabled list with ankle problems. The Front Office could not be reached for comment, but we suspect that the Jayson Nix will be taking Nunez's spot in the everyday lineup unless there is an immediate upgrade available. The Yankees called up OF Brennan Boesch to take Nunez's spot on the 25-Man Roster.

NYY #23 04-26-2013 11:09 PM

Good luck. I'll be following along and look forward to how you do. Tough blow with Nunez though.

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 11:18 PM

Yanks Get Swept by Detroit, Sign Utility Man Hall to Minor League Contract

DETROIT- The Yankees bats were once again silenced by the Detroit Tigers pitching staff, managing only 4 runs in 3 games against Anibal Sanchez, Rick Porcello and Justin Verlander. It was a repeat of the ALCS, where both teams struggled scoring runs with the Tigers ultimately coming out on top.

40-year-old Andy Pettitte was excellent in game 1 of the series, allowing 1 run on 3 hits over 7.1 innings but took the loss after Sanchez 4 hit the Yankees lineup. Ivan Nova pitched a solid game 2, but David Robertson blew the game after coming on in the 8th with a runner on first and a 1 run lead allowing 2 runs (1 of which was credited against him). Game 3 brought another dominant performance by Sabathia, who allowed 1 unearned run over 8 innings before Mariano Rivera came on in the 9th and allowed a 2-out walk-off single to former Yankee prospect Austin Jackson.

Yankees News & Notes...After the game, the Yankees announced they had agreed to terms with Bill Hall on a minor league deal. Hall could potentially fill in for Nunez and Jeter while they are on the DL and can play 2B, SS, 3B and all three outfield positions...CC Sabathia is 1-0 with a 0.56 ERA and 0.94 WHIP in 16 innings this season. He has struck out 17 batters and hasn't walked a single batter...Not all is doom and gloom for Yankees hitters, Travis Hafner is 7-21 with 1 HR and 3 RBI and Ichiro Suzuki is 8-25 with 1 RBI and 3 runs scored. Brett Gardner and Vernon Wells are also both hovering around the .300 average mark, hitting .292 and .286 respectively...

Kevdog1020 04-26-2013 11:41 PM

Marathon Men!! Yankees Win 11-10 in 4th Straight Extra Inning Game
https://encrypted-tbn3.gstatic.com/i...tZ5nrUkB5JfYaY
BRONX- Things were looking down in the Bronx after the Yankees went on a 5-game losing streak. Especially after the 5th loss came in the 12th inning against the lowly Cleveland Indians.

But the team snapped out of it. They went on to beat the Indians 3-2 and 5-4 in 11 innings to even their 4 game series at 2-2. Then they came out and beat the Baltimore Orioles 11-10 in a marathon 15 inning game.

That game featured 20 runs in the first 9 innings, including Mariano Rivera's 2nd blow save of the season (he has an alarmingly high 7.94 ERA thus far) before going 5.5 straight scoreless extra innings before Kevin Youkilis hit a walk-off RBI single. What's even stranger is that the game only featured 5 homeruns. Travis Hafner and Lyle Overbay continued their hot starts with big games, Hafner was 3-6 with 1 HR, 2 2B, 2 runs and 5 RBI and Overbay was 3-6 with a 2B and 1 run scored.

The Yankees finished out that series with a 1-0 victory in game two where Phil Hughes allowed 4 hits over 8 innings with Mariano Rivera getting back to form with a 2-strikeout save and a 13-3 loss which saw Hiroki Kuroda get shelled. Kuroda is 0-2 with a 7.71 ERA in 3 starts (spanning 14 innings) this season. Hopefully, for the Yankees sake, he can get back to his 2012 form where he was 16-11 with a 3.32 ERA in 219.2 innings. The Yankees current record is 6-7 which is good for 4th in the AL East, 3 1/2 behind the 9-3 Toronto Blue Jays.

Painmantle 04-27-2013 12:11 AM

I will be following but I must say for the record that the YANKEES SUCK!;)

Other than that I wish you the best of luck! :)

Kevdog1020 04-27-2013 07:44 PM

Good Grief! Yankees lose Gardner for 3-4 Weeks
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...i9_X3yhpBwLO7a
TAMPA BAY- The hits just keep on coming for this banged up Yankees roster. News came out today that OF Brett Gardner will miss 3-4 weeks with a strained hamstring that he suffered in a 9-3 Yankees loss in Tampa Bay last night. The injury hits the Yankees outfield hard, which is already dealing with an injury to superstar Curtis Granderson. Gardner was hitting .192 with 6 RBI and 4 SB in 19 games so far this year. Brennan Boesch was recalled from Triple-A Scranton-Wilkes Barre.

Yankees News & Notes...Derek Jeter is healthy again, he was activated off the disabled list and will bat 3rd tonight in tonight's game against the Columbus Clippers. Assistant GM Kevin West expects Jeter to be back for this weekend's 3 game series against Toronto...

Kevdog1020 04-27-2013 08:02 PM

Jeter Goes 1-4 in Season Debut as Yanks fall to Jays 1-0
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...b_AN_MWZ79rzmw
BRONX- Derek Jeter made his much anticipated return to the Yankees roster last night, going 1-4 notching one of the Yankees 3 hits. Jeter was returning from off-season ankle surgery for an injury suffered in last season's ALCS against the Detroit Tigers. His return was dampened by a 3 strikeout performance and a 1-0 loss. Robinson Cano had the only other hits against the Jays, hitting a double in the 7th and 9th innings.

Brandon Morrow was spectacular for the Blue Jays, going 8 innings while allowing 2 hits and 1 walk while striking out 7. He had Yankee hitters stifled throughout the game, with their best chance coming after Jeter singled and Cano doubled him to third in the 7th. Vernon Wells then hit a fly ball to right field and Jeter was thrown out at the plate trying to tag up. Aaron Loup came on in the 9th and struck out 2 Yankees for his first save of the season.

Yankees News & Notes...David Robertson pitched 1.2 scoreless innings in the loss, he allowed 2 hits, struck out 2 and walked 1 to lower his ERA to 0.90...Lyle Overbay is keeping pace with the homerun leaders thus far, he has 7 HR, 16 RBI and is hitting .308. Not too bad for right off the scrap pile!...Today's loss drops the Yankees season record to 10-13...

Kevdog1020 04-28-2013 12:51 PM

May 1, 2013
Yankees Finish Month 12-16, 7.5 Back of First Place Blue Jays
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ps6cab938e.png

Kevdog1020 04-28-2013 07:04 PM

May 10, 2013

DENVER- Yankees starter Hiroki Kuroda went 8 innings for the third straight game as he continues to bounce back from the slow start that had hampered the team thus far this season. Kuroda went 8 innings while allowing 12 hits and 3 runs while striking out 9. He's 2-1 in his last 3 starts and has allowed 6 runs over 24.2 IP while striking out 18 batters. He has lowered his ERA to 5.98, down from the 10.89 ERA he held on April 23rd.

The Yankee bats were also hot yesterday, scoring 8 runs recording 14 hits after chasing Rockies Jorge De La Rosa after 3 innings. The offense was powered by 2 run homers by Robinson Cano (6) and Vernon Wells (3). Ichiro, Lyle Overbay, Kevin Youkilis and Lance Nix also had multi-hit games with Youk and Nix driving in runs as well. Nix, Cano and Overbay also accounted for 4 doubles.

The 15-20 Yankees will now travel to Kansas City for a 3-game set with the Royals before returning home to face Seattle and Toronto. The Yankees are currently in third place in the AL East and are 7.5 games back from the first place Blue Jays.

Kevdog1020 05-25-2013 05:40 PM

May 17, 2013
Gardner Returns, Yanks Acquire Shoppach
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...EZgmIKknCX_wB0

BRONX- The Yankees are getting some relief from the injury bug. Speedster CF Brett Gardner was activated off the disabled list this morning. To make room for him on the active roster, the Yankees demoted OF Ben Francisco to Triple A Scranton.

The other roster move the Yankees have made is they have acquired C Kelly Shoppach from the Seattle Mariners. They sent MR Sam Demel (5.87 ERA in 15.1 IP at Scranton) to the Mariners. Also accompanying Shoppach was $500,000 in cash. Shoppach is currently hitting .238 with 2 RBI, the Yankees are expecting him to take over the everyday catching duties. To make room for Shoppach, the Yankees designated C Chris Stewart for assignment.

Kevdog1020 05-25-2013 06:04 PM

May 23, 2013
Streaking Shoppach Leads Yankees to 5 Consecutive Wins
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...puweLsZlUcvWeL
BALTIMORE- Kelly Shoppach seems to be just what the doctor ordered for the struggling Yankees. The move, which was questioned by most, has made General Manager Brian Cashman and Assistant General Manager Kevin West look brilliant. All the Yankees had to give up for Shoppach was a journeyman relief pitcher, and only have to pay about half of his $1.2 million salary for the year.

Since the acquisition of Shoppach, the Yankees have gone 5-1. Even more surprisingly, Shoppach is 7-17 (.412) with 2 HR, 10 RBI and 4 runs scored. Before the trade, he had been 5-21 (.238), with 0 HR, 2 RBI and 0 runs. Of course, Shoppach is more likely to revert back to the latter statistics, but that doesn't mean he is going to make his front office look bad if his pace starts to slow. This was a low-risk, high-reward type move that has no repercussions if it doesn't pan out.

Yankees News & Notes...Over the Yankees 5-game winning streak, they have scored 37 runs while allowing only 19 runs...Over the streak, Travis Hafner has hit homeruns number 6, 7, 8 and 9; Robinson Cano has hit homerun number 9 and 10; Lyle Overbay has hit his 9th homerun of the year and Kelly Shoppach has hit homeruns number 1 and 2 on the year. Brett Gardner and Francisco Cervelli also both hit their first homeruns of the season...The Yankees winning streak has improved their record to 22-27, 7 games back of the first place Toronto Blue Jays...

Kevdog1020 05-25-2013 06:24 PM

May 30, 2013
Mets Snap Streak, but Yankees Split Series on the Back of Pettitte's 250th Win
https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/i...K_oMXITmZ8YKnQ
BRONX- Andy Pettitte of the New York Yankees nailed down his 250th career victory with a 4-0 win over the New York Mets last night at Yankee Stadium. Pettitte, 40, fired 5 strikeouts over 6 innings of work. He gave up no runs, 4 walks and allowed 4 hits.

"I feel great," Pettitte said afterward. "I try not to get caught up in the moment. It's hard with so much press coverage these days, but I tune all that out when I go out there and pitch." Thus far in his career, Pettitte has 250 victories and 146 defeats with a 3.82 ERA. He has limited other teams to a .265 average.

Pettitte's brilliant start came just after the Yankees 8-game winning streak was snapped by the same Mets lineup. Despite losing their streak, the Yankees managed to win 2 of 4 against the Mets to improve their record to 27-27, 4.5 games behind the AL East leading Blue Jays. But that wasn't the only streak the Mets snapped. The Mets also snapped Kelly Shoppach's 8-game hitting streak and also silenced his bat, holding him to only 1-7 with 1 walk. He is now 17-53 (.375) with 3 HR and 15 RBI while drawing 9 walks with the Yankees.

The Yankees will play Boston and Cleveland at home before making a trip to the west coast to play Seattle, Oakland, and Los Angeles (AL).

Kevdog1020 05-25-2013 07:32 PM

June 20, 2013
Sabathia Earns Win 200 as Yankees Close Gap to 1/2 a Game

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/i...ySMsmSwmyFumIg
BRONX- It was a special day at Yankee Stadium for New York's CC Sabathia. The Yankees ace logged his 200th career win against the Dodgers. In the 2-0 decision Sabathia tossed 8.1 innings, surrendered 4 hits with no walks and 11 strikeouts.

"I'm real fortunate that I had the opportunity to play with such good players during my career," said Sabathia. "I just couldn't have drawn it up any better. I'm glad I did it in this uniform, too. New York is a great organization to play for."

During his career Sabathia has a 200-105 won-lost record with a 3.47 ERA. At age 32, with 4 and a half years still left on his Yankees contract, it's reasonable to believe that CC could become the next pitcher in the 300 Win Club.

Kevdog1020 05-25-2013 07:41 PM

July 1, 2013
Healthy Yankees Finish June Two Games Out of First Place
http://i1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ps1bfe60a1.png

Kevdog1020 05-26-2013 12:42 AM

July 10, 2013
Gardner Tears Labrum, Expected to Miss Rest of Season
https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...dSyt_TJ7NbpVUP
MINNEAPOLIS- The Yankees suffered a big blow to their starting lineup tonight after it was revealed that OF Brett Gardner tore his labrum trying to make a defensive play. He is expected to miss 3-5 months, effectively ending his season. Gardner was hitting .220 with 1 HR and 29 RBI, but his presence on the basepaths is what will really be missed. He has 18 stolen bases in 26 attempts. Gardner had missed time earlier in the year with a hamstring strain.

Fortunately for the Yankees, Dewayne Wise was on the waiver wire and was picked up to take Gardner's place on the 25-man roster. The Yankees are already without superstar OF Curtis Granderson, who is out for 5 weeks with a sprained ankle. So it looks like the Yankees will be playing with an outfield rotation of Ichiro Suzuki, Vernon Wells, Ben Francisco, and Dewayne Wise.

On a brighter note, SP Michael Pineda was activated off the disable list and will spend some time in the minors on a rehab assignment. The Yankees hope to have him with the major league team by August. The Yankees current record is 50-41, 1.5 games behind the Boston Red Sox.