OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: FAQ (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3631)
-   -   Game Only Recognizes First Bid? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=180771)

hudderschris 04-11-2009 09:12 AM

Game Only Recognizes First Bid?

Hi

I have recently joined I_davis league and we are having to bid for FAs via the commiss. I thought you could do this via the game (if you all had same patch etc..) as thats what I read in the manual and been told by a friend. The commiss says is faulty and doesnt work correctly.

This is the quote from commiss

We do not use the game the file to bid because the game will only recognize the first bidder that sumitts his file. Therefore it has to be done manually. All bids are to be sent to me via PM (unless you want everyone to know what you are bidding).

Is this correct? seems like a lot of work for the commiss plus if he wanted a FA he could outbid you by $1?

Is there anything we cant do? (other than the following)

The following tasks cannot be performed by a human manager in an online league:
 Auto-playing or playing out games
 Trades
 Team options, such as name, location, uniforms, colors, or financials, etc.
 Writing news articles or game recaps
 Accessing game setup information, or league or commissioner tools

Thanks

Chris

Bluenoser 04-11-2009 09:30 AM

I can't comment on that particular league or if they're experiencing problems with in game FA Bidding.

The three leagues I'm in (for a number of years and many seasons now) it works fine, we have no problems at all. I've never heard of the "only recognizing the first bid" problem. It's new to me.

hudderschris 04-11-2009 09:34 AM

thanks for the reply, the commiss says he got this info from the people who made the game. So if anyone who made the game is out there please get in touch as if this is the case you should update the online manual.

cheers

Bluenoser 04-11-2009 09:56 AM

I'd be shocked if Markus said this, and he's the one who made the game.

Like I said, I've never heard of this before, and I've been playing since OOTP 1 and been involved in online leagues all that time.

Has he actually tested this or is he just going by what he heard?

I'd suggest he make a copy of the league file and try doing some test FA imports to see if in fact it is a problem.

If he is having a problem with this, he should report it in the Tech Support Forum so it can be properly investigated by the Developer.

kcroyalgm 04-11-2009 10:53 AM

Well, I didn't make the game, but I sure use it a lot.
I am in five on-line leagues.
All the leagues do free agent player bidding in-game, and it works fine.
I can assure you the first bidder doesn't always get the player.

Free agent personnel (coaches/scouts) bidding was another matter. It did not work correctly in prior versions and most on-line leagues did do scout/coach free agency via a forum rather than in-game. It is supposedly corrected in the version 9. It definitely works better although I am unconvinced that it works properly and fairly.

snnort 04-11-2009 01:22 PM

This is complete BUNK. The first bidder does NOT always win. And no one who worked on the game with tell you any differently.

That said, this is not the section for this topic.

Also, is this I_davis2001 you are talking about? If so, they have some explaining to do.

hudderschris 04-11-2009 01:38 PM

Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I have asked him to look at this thread and reply.

It is i_davis_2001

Does it matter if some players are not using the game to play? as our league does have some non OOTP 9 owners

Thanks

Steve T 04-11-2009 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hudderschris (Post 2709388)
Hi

Thanks for all the replies, I have asked him to look at this thread and reply.

It is i_davis_2001

Does it matter if some players are not using the game to play? as our league does have some non OOTP 9 owners

Thanks

The commish could easily input offers into OOTP for those that do not own the game.

snnort 04-11-2009 04:25 PM

Obviously a commissioner (or simmer) can always enter FA offers in for those that don't own the game. It used to be that back in the day (old school OOTP) this was the ONLY way (there was no other option).

AND if the MLFB (I am presuming that is the league we are talking about) has rules that say it's the only way... so be it.

The problem I have is the lame and in this case, LYING, that is going on. That's just totally uncool to blame the OOTP engine about something that simply is NOT true. And it makes one wonder if there is an ulterior motive to it.

RchW 04-11-2009 04:55 PM

Sounds fishy to me. Can you imagine the work involved processing 30 teams worth of FA offers? I can also guarantee that a bug of that magnitude would be a showstopper for just about every player.

If what he says was true, submitting offers to the commish would not fix the problem. It would mean that he would have to pick the offer that wins and assign the player to a team.

What happens if 8 owners make the same offer? Surely he would not be able to pick the first one submitted, as that is the supposed "problem". Is he going to type a response to 7 owners that their offer was no good? Yeah right.:rolleyes:

How will you get feedback like, "give me more years", or, "give me more money".

kq76 04-11-2009 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snnort (Post 2709386)
This is complete BUNK. The first bidder does NOT always win. And no one who worked on the game with tell you any differently.

Exactly. That's very suspicious if he's telling you that.

Is the commish managing a team too? If so, I can't see how there possibly can't be a conflict of interest there.

I'm trying to see a good reason for doing it that way and I just can't. I can't even think of anything that's been said on the boards that might give someone that impression. As BruceM has already, online vets certainly wouldn't tell you that's the case. Maybe a newbie might think that, but that's about it. There's absolutely no way Markus and company would say that without the rest of us knowing about it too. If it were true, we'd be the first to tell them, not the other way around.

Quote:

Originally Posted by snnort (Post 2709386)
That said, this is not the section for this topic.

It's not? It doesn't really fit on the commish board if you ask me. Would probably best fit on an online leagues general sub-board.

hudderschris 04-11-2009 05:43 PM

Thanks for the replies,

The commish has now decided to do FAs via the game after looking at this (for at least the first season if it doesnt do the 1st come thing).

Happy days for both players and commish (less work :-))

Cheers guys

i_davis2001 04-12-2009 01:41 AM

I am the commish he is talking about. Every league I play in does this. I was told that the game accepts the 1st bid after the upload and that the file did not work correctly. I will try it your way, but the guy who told me is highly knowledgable about this game. I will not tell you who that person is on here.

snnort 04-12-2009 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_davis2001 (Post 2709690)
I am the commish he is talking about. Every league I play in does this. I was told that the game accepts the 1st bid after the upload and that the file did not work correctly. I will try it your way, but the guy who told me is highly knowledgable about this game. I will not tell you who that person is on here.

Prolly a good idea not to tell us. We'd have to seriously question his knowledge of OOTP.

Nutlaw 04-15-2009 08:48 PM

There is no question that the game handles FA bids in-game just fine. If the game only accepted the first bid, lots and lots of people would notice this and it would have been fixed a long time ago.

I have personally tested this at length. It works fine.

Now, if you want to assert that the first bid made of two identical bids has an advantage ... that may be the case. The first bid for certain doesn't always win, but it may have a leg up. I haven't seen enough data to confirm this.

However, if you're entering bids manually, the first bid entered would get the same advantage. :)

Nutlaw 04-16-2009 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nutlaw (Post 2711824)
Now, if you want to assert that the first bid made of two identical bids has an advantage ... that may be the case. The first bid for certain doesn't always win, but it may have a leg up. I haven't seen enough data to confirm this.

I'm told that import order doesn't appear to affect anything. Good.

Treches 04-23-2009 02:00 PM

That issue happened in the past (up 'til V6 or V6.5, if I remember correctly) but was fixed long ago.