OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   OOTP to unveil 2019 postseason predictions LIVE on MLB Network this Sunday (Sept 29) at 9 PM ET! (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=306834)

Rich Grisham 09-25-2019 09:04 AM

OOTP to unveil 2019 postseason predictions LIVE on MLB Network this Sunday (Sept 29) at 9 PM ET!

For the third consecutive year, Out of the Park Baseball will unveil their highly-anticipated MLB postseason predictions LIVE on MLB Network! This Sunday night at 9 PM ET on the MLB Network Postseason Preview show, Out of the Park Baseball will go for an unprecedented third straight correct World Series winner prediction. The predictions are based on running 1000 simulations of the postseason with the most up to date rosters, pitching rotations, injuries, and ballpark factors.

You read that correctly by the way - Out of the Park Baseball has correctly predicted the World Series winner each of the past two years they have unveiled these simulation results on MLB Network. In 2017, they accurately projected the Houston Astros to claim the World Series title. In 2018, they nailed not only the Boston Red Sox as the champions, but the World Series matchup itself between the Sox and the Los Angeles Dodgers.

“We are excited to be back with our great partners at MLB Network this fall as we prepare to go three-for-three with our predictions,” said OOTP CMO Rich Grisham. “We believe our simulation engine is the best in the world, and we’ve got the pictures to prove it. Nothing can ever completely account for the infinite possibilities of the Major League Baseball postseason, but our formula of running 1000 simulations with our engine and distilling the aggregate results is the closest anyone can ever get.”

In addition to the live unveiling on Sunday night at 9 PM ET on MLB Network, the Out of the Park Baseball crew will dive deeper into those predictions live at 10 PM ET on their Twitch channel (twitch.tv/ootpdevelopments). OOTP Community and Content Developer Kris Jardine will be joined by Grisham to pore over the bracket, compare and contrast the results, and chat with fans live.

“We have the best community in the world of video games, and we like to get in there with them and go over everything,” said Jardine. “This will be a lot of fun to see what everyone thinks about our simulation. I’m looking forward to the conversation!”

bwburke94 09-26-2019 04:01 PM

What will happen if there's a tiebreaker game to be played Monday? Will that be predicted as well?

gamefan1978 09-27-2019 02:27 AM

Yankees Dodgers is my real world prediction.

Kris Jardine 09-30-2019 08:13 PM

You can catch the breakdown featuring Rich and myself here - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uKUe7tipEsw

lencombs 10-01-2019 10:06 PM

Not looking good for the Nats to make the World Series, down 3-1 in 7th to Brewers.

lencombs 10-01-2019 11:12 PM

Wild 3 run 8th for Washington, Nationals and Astros Series still possible. Nationals used Scherzer and Strasburg tonight though while the Dodgers are resting.

whaleheader 10-03-2019 08:25 AM

Is there video of the segment on MLB Tonight? I'd like to post it on my web site. (Sorry, it's tough to invest 52 minutes.)

Rich Grisham 10-03-2019 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by whaleheader (Post 4543190)
Is there video of the segment on MLB Tonight? I'd like to post it on my web site. (Sorry, it's tough to invest 52 minutes.)

Yes! We were actually on two segments. Here they are!

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-tonight-bracket-challenge

https://www.mlb.com/video/mlb-tonigh...hallenge-x2039

Enjoy!

lencombs 10-05-2019 01:20 AM

I thought that Washington in World Series OOTP pick would never happen, but I can see it now.

Great win for the Nationals taking home field from LA now, Nat's beat Kershaw and take home field advantage away. Same old story for Kershaw so far, great regular season pitcher, not so much in off season.

LA lost last 2 Word Series and won't go quiet in DC, can't wait for game 3.

Izz 10-10-2019 12:49 AM

Dun dun dunnnnnnn!

Argonaut 10-10-2019 01:22 AM

So did Playoff Kershaw and Dave Roberts' managing ability factor into the simulations? I'm genuinely impressed with OOTP's Nationals call. I think they get past the Cards too.

lencombs 10-15-2019 11:34 PM

It's all happening, again.

lencombs 10-16-2019 12:23 AM

I had Dodgers and Astros, thought the Nationals would have zero chance going in, it felt like a silly prediction.

It is incredible a wilcard has swept into the world series, an OOTP was on it.

Matt Arnold 10-16-2019 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lencombs (Post 4548773)
I had Dodgers and Astros, thought the Nationals would have zero chance going in, it felt like a silly prediction.

It is incredible a wilcard has swept into the world series, an OOTP was on it.

Initially I didn't give them much thought either, but then I ran the sims and had to double-check. And when you think about it:
-They probably have the 2nd best rotation of all playoff teams behind the Astros. Scherzer/Stras/Corbin are 3 excellent starters
-Their lineup is deceptively good. Rendon has been a beast all year, Soto has been great as well. And then add in Robles/Eaton/Turner who are all great supporting cast, plus Kendrick who channeled something to put up a crazy year too

The bullpen is definitely a weakness, but really, I don't think anyone but the Yankees really 100% trust their bullpen right now. But especially if they can keep getting 2018-quality Doolittle, they may not even be that much of an underdog against whoever comes out of the AL.

Bluenoser 10-16-2019 06:05 AM

Well, so far so good. My picks have been

Nats over Brewers
A's over Rays (wrong)

Yankees over Twins
Astros over A's (twas Rays)
Nats over Dodgers
Braves over Cards (wrong)

Nats over Braves (twas Cards)
Astros over Yankees

Nats over Astros

Izz 10-16-2019 06:12 AM

Go the Nats!!!

actionjackson 10-17-2019 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bluenoser (Post 4548810)
Well, so far so good. My picks have been

Nats over Brewers
A's over Rays (wrong)

Yankees over Twins
Astros over A's (twas Rays)
Nats over Dodgers
Braves over Cards (wrong)

Nats over Braves (twas Cards)
Astros over Yankees

Nats over Astros

Much like OOTP, you are...still...alive.

actionjackson 10-17-2019 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt Arnold (Post 4548808)
Initially I didn't give them much thought either, but then I ran the sims and had to double-check. And when you think about it:
-They probably have the 2nd best rotation of all playoff teams behind the Astros. Scherzer/Stras/Corbin are 3 excellent starters
-Their lineup is deceptively good. Rendon has been a beast all year, Soto has been great as well. And then add in Robles/Eaton/Turner who are all great supporting cast, plus Kendrick who channeled something to put up a crazy year too

The bullpen is definitely a weakness, but really, I don't think anyone but the Yankees really 100% trust their bullpen right now. But especially if they can keep getting 2018-quality Doolittle, they may not even be that much of an underdog against whoever comes out of the AL.

I don't think many teams trust their bullpens this year, and I think it's because bullpen arms have been ridden too hard recently. Historically, there has been a wide margin between relievers (with relievers being much better than starters) and starters in run prevention across the league. This year, that gap has vanished...

2019 SP: 4.54 ERA, 4.51 FIP, 4.48 xFIP
2019 RP: 4.46 ERA, 4.51 FIP, 4.54 xFIP

That's pretty much the same, when historically relievers have had about a 30-40 point edge on starters. I think relievers are just plain worn out with the bullpenning craze of the last five years or so. People forget in this rush to cash in on the latest fad that having starters pitch into the seventh inning or later on a regular basis is probably the best thing for a bullpen's effectiveness. It keeps them fresh, and (I think) better able to perform at an optimum level.

Not saying bullpenning doesn't have it's place in the modern game. I would say it's much more effective in the postseason because of all the offdays, but I think it's madness if used too often in the marathon 162-game regular season. I'm open to different opinions on this, but I don't think it's a coincidence that relative general effectiveness between starters and relievers has basically equalized with the rise in RP innings.

OldFatGuy 10-23-2019 02:21 PM

Didn't OOTP do one before the season started too? And IIRC that one picked the Nats but I don't remember who they beat... thinking Yankees or Red Sox.

But I didn't remember them doing one after the season was over before, I remember seeing the predictions before opening day on MLB Network the last couple of years.

Or am I going crazy?

Matt Arnold 10-24-2019 01:00 AM

https://twitter.com/ootpbaseball/sta...72460035186688

We had Washington beating Houston before the season.