OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   OOTP 20 - First impressions thread! (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=300464)

Markus Heinsohn 03-22-2019 01:00 PM

OOTP 20 - First impressions thread!

OK everybody, this is the official first impressions thread!

An unbelievable amount of work went into this game over the last 20 years, and OOTP 20 is the result. We hope you love it as much as we do :)

Here are the download links for the release version:
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...d.php?t=300463

So, fire away and have fun!

Grafton19 03-22-2019 01:05 PM

Impressed with the small adds. 3D a lot smoother

Way to go! What were some of the fixes from the updated beta to this?

wallewalls 03-22-2019 01:06 PM

Yeah is there an official patch list for those upgrading from beta?

Matt Arnold 03-22-2019 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wallewalls (Post 4457643)
Yeah is there an official patch list for those upgrading from beta?

Sorry
http://www.ootpdevelopments.com/boar...56&postcount=2

IanIachimoe 03-22-2019 01:46 PM

from the beta:

animations seem way improved. diving, jumping to avoid sliding player turning a DB, check swings, arm angles, etc, etc, etc. you name it.

ball physics as well. better bounces, flight, seems quicker.

this game & dev team never ceases to amaze me throughout the year.

PSUColonel 03-22-2019 01:48 PM

My initial impression is this:

While this version may not appear to have a lot of bold new features....it has something that has long been needed that may not be visable at first.

OOTP 20 has a lot of under the hood refinements when it comes to AI. Everything from contracts, to squad building, trading, lineups and in hame strategy has received a great deal of attention.

This was the version to do it. PT got a lot of attention this year, and I believe as a result more developers will be hired so that new flashier features can be implemented in the near future. I’d like to see a new and improved scouting & development model, as well as more realistic financials myself...I’d also like to see more expanded staff roles, and possibly the introduction of languages.

Getting back on topic though....the AI improvements are what will be OOTP 20’s legacy...and for many, that should make it a “must purchase”.

Grafton19 03-22-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 4457726)

While this version may not appear to have a lot of bold new features....it has something that has long been needed that may not be visable at first.

OOTP 20 has a lot of under the hood refinements when it comes to AI. Everything from contracts, to squad building, trading, lineups and in hame strategy has received a great deal of attention.

This was the version to do it. PT got a lot of attention this year, and I believe as a result more developers will be hired so that new flashier features can be implemented in the near future. I’d like to see a new and improved scouting & development model, as well as more realistic financials myself...I’d also like to see more expanded staff roles, and possibly the introduction of languages.

Getting back on topic though....the AI improvements are what will be OOTP 20’s legacy...and for many, that should make it a “must purchase”.

OG on the board!

Statsman1 03-22-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 4457726)

<snip>

Based on this comment alone, I cannot WAIT to get into this game tonight.

CorinthiansIII 03-22-2019 02:32 PM

The game is amazing. It's always amazing. That's why I've sunk thousands of hours into it over the last five or six years lol.

Honestly, OOTP 20 should be exactly what hardcore fans have wanted for years. There's not much change to the cosmetics (although the spray charts are cool). Instead, the developers say they've concentrated on AI and making the game more realistic.

Is it more realistic? I don't know the answer. It's going to take hundreds of hours of playing to make that determination.

Looks like I'll just have to forget life's obligations for about three months and find out!

Harry Hibbs 03-22-2019 03:25 PM

I just checked... I played OOTP19 for a total of 760 hours and 28 minutes!! Just got my first victory with the final version of OOTP20, having successfully imported my save from 19. I'm facing a really tough rebuild phase for the SF Giants. The scary thing is, I'm more into this save now than I am the real thing!

OOTP20 is going to eat up my life :)

Reed 03-22-2019 03:31 PM

Overall, very good.
Started historical league in 1901 and noticed the AI is making much better inaugural draft choices (for example, R. Waddell, who is the most dominant pitcher from 1901-1909, is selected early 1st round instead of 3rd rd., other choices for the most part make sense). Notice in addition to selecting roster sizes you can also select reserve roster down to 5 which is nice for early baseball. Having players being able to sub for more positions is very nice. 3D player movement is much improved as others have mention. I am not Interested in spray charts or exit velocities but I know others are. Game play seems much improve.

One thing I would like to see someday that would improve historic play- in ADDITION to weaken/adjust batters/pitchers, have usage penalty for batter/pitchers that exceed their real life numbers by xx% so that their rating will change to replacement level for further ABs or IP.

Back on topic, instead of adding a lot of new features (other than the live services), I get the feeling they greatly improved game play and improved many of the other features so for me, it is an excellent release.
Thank You Markus and team.

panda234 03-22-2019 04:03 PM

All these rookies boasting about their hours. I have 1,860 hours on OOTP 19 and bought just over 3 months ago lol.

And now we have OOTP 20....

I'm juiced about 20. Just started but lots of things I like so far. More detail coming soon.

mickey7 03-22-2019 06:06 PM

Well, first impression two things have not changed at all---the trade AI still stinks, in spring training I was offered the exact same trade eight times by the computer---rejected every time just kept getting it. Second you still have problems for those of us who want real pictures instead of cartoon facegens----the photos are there the game puts in generic face gens anyway, if you go and actually import the real pictures individually about 30 % of the time they don't stick. Kinda disappointing as these 'features" have worked this way for a number of years now.

The Yurpman 03-22-2019 06:26 PM

Another year, another excellent game! Love the small additions like the batter spray chart and the animation tweaks. Loving the game!

wallewalls 03-22-2019 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickey7 (Post 4457959)
Well, first impression two things have not changed at all---the trade AI still stinks, in spring training I was offered the exact same trade eight times by the computer---rejected every time just kept getting it. Second you still have problems for those of us who want real pictures instead of cartoon facegens----the photos are there the game puts in generic face gens anyway, if you go and actually import the real pictures individually about 30 % of the time they don't stick. Kinda disappointing as these 'features" have worked this way for a number of years now.

So far, I've done one season in the full release, I am the Marlins and was able to trade Sergio Romo and a couple of non prospects to the Rays for Ji-Man Choi, Nate Lowe (great 1B prospect), Christian Arroyo, Nick Solak and Jalen Beeks. I still dont know if it's a fleecing or not because the Rays have so much talent and cant keep them all when they run out of options so they may need to sell low on them, but I felt a little wrong going through with this trade but yeah this is with trading set to Hard and Favor Prospects, so idk, maybe I need to go to Very Hard and Heavily Favor Prospects, but at the same time I could not pry INF Daniel Robertson from them no matter what so maybe it's just how they're valuing these players, but when I shopped Romo, they Rays had the most interest-the only team offering a real prospect, so maybe they just really like him

BasicGuy 03-22-2019 06:46 PM

please historic replay players let me know if there is much difference in early years baseball....me I really love playing from 1871 on.

cdidman 03-22-2019 07:23 PM

Unimpressed

OOTP is the best BY FAR. I just don't see anything different in 20 over 19. I can't imagine how much work goes into this type of game, but this looks like all focus was on Perfect Team and not much for the core game. Its the first time I've bought this game and just was unimpressed, maybe because each year to this point I've been very impressed.

Beatles Eternally 03-22-2019 08:30 PM

I really love this edition. I agree with PSUColonel's assessment of the game - and not because I'm a Penn State grad although I do give a fellow alum a bit more credence. ;)
It's hard to pinpoint any particular aspect that stands out. There is just a definite sense that this edition has come that much closer to perfection. I was disappointed to see that the All-Time Great quickstart was still woefully lacking but I am fixing it and I am hopeful I can upload it for ESellerate users and to the Steam Workshop once that is implemented, and, yes, I imported Ernie Banks too! [Devs, how could you possibly have omitted Ernie Banks]?! I've also imported a number of other players who should have been included in the quickstart. I noticed a potential bug however that is easily remedied: when you look at the active and reserve rosters, the two are transposed. In the default reserve roster for the Yankees for instance, Babe Ruth, Lou Gehrig, and Mickey Mantle were on the reserve roster. To switch it, just select ask AI to create lineups, etc., and everything is fine except for any tweaking. I'm hopeful the devs correct this little glitch especially for players new to the game.

Thanks, Markus, Lukas, Matt and all at OOTP Developments for another great edition of the BEST baseball sim available!

AESP_pres 03-22-2019 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BasicGuy (Post 4458008)
please historic replay players let me know if there is much difference in early years baseball....me I really love playing from 1871 on.

Looks the same than last year to me... not that last year was that bad, just need to do some works to get the real teams the seasons they played (unless a fake history is your cup of tea which is not mine).

Harry Hibbs 03-22-2019 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by panda234 (Post 4457855)
All these rookies boasting about their hours. I have 1,860 hours on OOTP 19 and bought just over 3 months ago lol.

... so basically you played 24 hours straight for 78 of those 90 days. Impressive!

A. Rookie

:)