OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Auction House Forum (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3962)
-   -   When is the best time to put players up? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303681)

Stanley Kuppchaser 05-29-2019 05:59 AM

When is the best time to put players up?

My teams are all historical players and my rosters are getting to the point where I need to weed out some players. My first guess is that weekends would be the time to get the best price, as teams make their final playoff push. For those who follow the AH, what are your thoughts? Thanks. If this has been addressed in another thread, sorry. Please direct me there.

Westheim 05-29-2019 08:20 AM

I time my auctions often so that they will expire during the US evening, which is when I'm asleep but when there might be the most traffic in the game. I don't believe in weekdays being much of a factor.

Findest2001 05-29-2019 12:07 PM

This is an outstanding question, and I greatly anticipate a wonderful thread emerging from the discussion.

Charlatan 05-29-2019 12:10 PM

Since there's no penalty to listing a player (assuming it's a guy you're not using) why not just list him for the price you want whenever you want to? If he doesn't sell, just re-list at the same price until he sells.

My problem is that if I decide to wait for Friday or whenever, by the time Friday rolls around, I will have forgotten my plans!

Westheim 05-29-2019 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findest2001 (Post 4494714)
This is an outstanding question, and I greatly anticipate a wonderful thread emerging from the discussion.:rolleyes:

That's a lot of : rolleyes : for somebody mainly spreading his conspiracy theories about how OOTP is out to get him on the forums.

GlassGuyBob 05-29-2019 12:27 PM

Personally I find that there's the most action on Sunday-Monday, but you can often sell for a good price during the week as well. The best time to sell a card is usually when there's few or no other copies up for sale.

Findest2001 05-29-2019 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Westheim (Post 4494729)
That's a lot of : rolleyes : for somebody mainly spreading his conspiracy theories about how OOTP is out to get him on the forums.

My apologies. It was not meant to be an eye roll. Who smiles when they roll their eyes anyways?

waittilnextyear 05-29-2019 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stanley Kuppchaser (Post 4494627)
My teams are all historical players and my rosters are getting to the point where I need to weed out some players. My first guess is that weekends would be the time to get the best price, as teams make their final playoff push. For those who follow the AH, what are your thoughts? Thanks. If this has been addressed in another thread, sorry. Please direct me there.

I think this is a thing that we've all experimented with to some extent. In my opinion, there isn't necessarily just one singular time that's best, but there are some times that seem better than others.

First off, when teams are idle/out of the playoffs/rethinking things for the next week tends to be pretty high volume. Sundays, in other words. You can get some desperation in the mix if you have your sales up as teams advance rounds in the playoffs. For example, a team wins the division series but wants to upgrade for the sub-league championship series. Might be willing to pay a premium.

Also, there's a good amount of residual buying/selling on Mondays as teams form up and roster holes not filled from Sunday are addressed.

Another good time is overnight, because there are some early birds (?) that likely check/buy in the morning before work. There have been several instances where I haven't been able to sell something during the day/evening only to find it was greedily snatched up by someone at like 4-5 AM (my local time). Maybe Europeans? Maybe early birds in the US? Maybe Asians? Who really knows?

Sundays, a bit on Mondays, and overnights tend to be when I have the easiest time.

..There is also a whole host of strategies that deal with how you post a card rather than when (scarcity, prices of other same and related cards, end times, gaps between buy now/bid price, how certain players fared in real life that particular day, etc) that I'm convinced play a big role in selling successfully.

Chico Guilbault 05-29-2019 03:50 PM

I have sold a bunch of big ticket items overnight on the weekends. My theory is some people get drunk and splurge. My basis for this is...well, myself.

Findest2001 05-29-2019 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault (Post 4494832)
I have sold a bunch of big ticket items overnight on the weekends. My theory is some people get drunk and splurge. My basis for this is...well, myself.

Lol.

PS I'm in silver 254 as well as your middle team :) My Pennsylvania Party Poopers

Chico Guilbault 05-29-2019 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Findest2001 (Post 4494843)
Lol.

PS I'm in silver 254 as well as your middle team :) My Pennsylvania Party Poopers

My silver team is sort of lost right now...need to find an identity and purpose for it.

Findest2001 05-29-2019 10:14 PM

I'm sure you will find one soon. It takes some time. Also, a lucky pull in a pack will help. I had a team in 19 that went to Gold without an identity and then I pulled the card that gave me an idea and I build off of that idea and it became my future Legends who are currently in gold but do fairly well in Diamond

Chico Guilbault 05-29-2019 10:53 PM

I was hoping Harper went back to perfect, so I could sell him and build something with the proceeds. Still haven't thought of a theme for it though. I'm busy opening packs for my top team right now anyway!

Findest2001 05-29-2019 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chico Guilbault (Post 4494999)
I was hoping Harper went back to perfect, so I could sell him and build something with the proceeds. Still haven't thought of a theme for it though. I'm busy opening packs for my top team right now anyway!

Good luck!

dkgo 05-29-2019 11:25 PM

I list everyone for 48 hours between 6-9 eastern. Always just at a BIN. unless it is some super high value player worth 100k+ where you may want a longer time so interested bidders can build up some points then that is good enough

JanesAddctn 05-30-2019 02:44 AM

I've had the most luck selling a card when it will be the only one of its kind in the AH regardless of the day of the week. Not always easy to accomplish, especially with live cards.

dkgo 05-30-2019 02:31 PM

With good live diamonds (96-99) I will list one or two at the price I want to sell and then a couple more at higher prices so people think the first one is a good deal.