OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Talk Sports (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=49)
-   -   Dave Winfield was a boss (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=302488)

Cobra Mgr 04-23-2019 12:50 AM

Dave Winfield was a boss

I knew the story about Winfield getting drafted by 4 pro leagues. But I wasn't aware of just how good he was in college. Didn't know he was a pitcher. Didn't know he was on the Big 10 champions in basketball. Didn't know he went to the CWS. Since he played hockey as a kid, you wonder if there were more people of color in the NHL if he would have played longer on the ice.

I will say I think he is an example of how making teens specialize in one sport is to their detriment.

Westheim 04-23-2019 03:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4478805)
I will say I think he is an example of how making teens specialize in one sport is to their detriment.

Anything - anything at all - that makes teens put down their ****ing phone for five minutes is already a win.

Déjà Bru 04-23-2019 09:21 PM

This is not exactly germane to your 3-sport / 4-draft* observation of him, but I recall rooting every day for Dave Winfield to get his 3,000th hit and I was overjoyed when he did. That he did so in a Twins uniform did not matter to me; that's how much of an impression he made on me in his 9 seasons in pinstripes. The year before, he was in 5th place for the MVP and was a Silver Slugger, at age 40. That man was a heck of a ballplayer and he hit some of the hardest line drives that I have seen in my life.

*Heh, I originally had that as "4-sport" but then I said, what, hockey too? (Your reference to hockey had something to do with my error.) But no, it was three sports and four drafts (2 basketball leagues):

Baseball: San Diego Padres, first round (fourth overall)

Basketball: Atlanta Hawks (NBA), fifth round; Utah Stars (ABA), fourth round

Football: Minnesota Vikings, 17th round

Germaniac 04-25-2019 02:36 AM

He was a great player, and being called "Mr. May" by Steinbrenner just proved that that man didn't know anything about baseball.

rink23 04-25-2019 04:50 PM

Unfortunately Winfield's most memorable moment had the hardwood had to do with his fists rather than his ability to put a round ball through a hoop.

http://www.startribune.com/hoops-bra...ory/411419775/

Déjà Bru 04-25-2019 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rink23 (Post 4479953)
Unfortunately Winfield's most memorable moment had the hardwood had to do with his fists rather than his ability to put a round ball through a hoop.

http://www.startribune.com/hoops-bra...ory/411419775/

Yeah, he was definitely on the wrong side of that one, defending his Gopher teammates. But he had to do what he had to do, of course; they were his teammates.

Wow, that video is tough to look at, not because it's that violent, though. Nobody was seriously hurt, even the Buckeye center whose head was stomped.

It's the guy helping him up and then kneeing him in the groin that is jaw-dropping and tough to take. Talk about cheap shots. What a jerk that guy was.

Yet (and I don't mean to derail this thread), boys grow into men and sometimes those men turn out to be wiser, much wiser, than you would have projected for them. Both of the principal Gophers in this incident were featured later in life by the Minnesota Star Tribune:

Overcoming fight's stigma drives Turner

Ex-Gopher Taylor resolved ugliness of his worst hour

In the latter story, the main perpetrator who had just passed away was mourned by . . . the Buckeye who got the knee! Apparently they had become friends. (And we read that he, too, was not entirely innocent, having elbowed a Gopher in the face earlier in the game.)

None of which is about Dave Winfield other than he was wailing on another Buckeye during the brawl. Imagine being on the receiving end of that beating.

Returning the thread to Mr. Winfield. Who is going to bring up the seagull story? ;)

Germaniac 04-26-2019 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Déjà Bru (Post 4479974)
Returning the thread to Mr. Winfield. Who is going to bring up the seagull story? ;)

I won't ;)

But imagine what kind of a story that would be today in these crazy social media times :ohmy:

Germaniac 04-26-2019 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobra Mgr (Post 4478805)
I knew the story about Winfield getting drafted by 4 pro leagues. But I wasn't aware of just how good he was in college. Didn't know he was a pitcher. Didn't know he was on the Big 10 champions in basketball. Didn't know he went to the CWS. Since he played hockey as a kid, you wonder if there were more people of color in the NHL if he would have played longer on the ice.

But to get back to the original post - I don't think we'll see many multi-sports stars anymore. And the reason in my opinion is quite simple:

With so much money to be earned in all major sports most kids will decide early what path to follow and what skills to improve to make them very good (and very rich) in one sport.

And basically this makes sense to me.

Cobra Mgr 04-26-2019 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germaniac (Post 4480176)
But to get back to the original post - I don't think we'll see many multi-sports stars anymore. And the reason in my opinion is quite simple:

With so much money to be earned in all major sports most kids will decide early what path to follow and what skills to improve to make them very good (and very rich) in one sport.

And basically this makes sense to me.

I think the opposite. As Winfield said, being good in multiple sports gave him leverage. It did so for Elway. It did so for Kyler Murray.

And I think it prevents injuries playing different sports. Because you ask your body to do different things. Using your body to repetitively do the same tasks causes problems down the road.

Buster Cherry 05-24-2019 08:17 PM

I remember a woman once suing Dave Winfield because she claimed he gave her an STD. The woman was Mike Tyson's then mother-in-law. Don't know the outcome of the case.

darkhorse 05-24-2019 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Germaniac (Post 4479721)
He was a great player, and being called "Mr. May" by Steinbrenner just proved that that man didn't know anything about baseball.

Steinbrenner sure was committed to winning and brought home a lot of silverware for such a know nothing. Also, Winfield batted .208/.304/.337 in 101 playoff at bats so that barb, while unfair, might have found its target.

Winfield averaged 9.0 ppg and 5.8 rpg in two seasons at Minnesota. Those teams were lead by two future NBA players, Jim Brewer and Ron Behagen.

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb...sota/1972.html