OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Player Speed Ratings (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=305266)

Mannyw 07-16-2019 10:25 PM

Player Speed Ratings

I think OOTP nails almost all ratings but I think the running speed ratings are off. I often see players I know are fast with speed numbers down in the 20-30s.

I've even went to https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprin...=&team=&min=10 confirm my thoughts and this website shows players sprint speeds from Statcast. The speed rating a often very off.

This said, can a new way of evaluate palyer speed be considered by the developers perhaps?

Thanks.

Sharkn20 07-17-2019 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mannyw (Post 4515891)
I think OOTP nails almost all ratings but I think the running speed ratings are off. I often see players I know are fast with speed numbers down in the 20-30s.

I've even went to https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/sprin...=&team=&min=10 confirm my thoughts and this website shows players sprint speeds from Statcast. The speed rating a often very off.

This said, can a new way of evaluate palyer speed be considered by the developers perhaps?

Thanks.

Speed in game is coded offensively as stealing attempts, nothing to do with how fast they can actually run.

I think is baserunning what might be misleading you?

I don't know yet what Speed does in defense.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Pirates 07-17-2019 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkn20 (Post 4515997)
Speed in game is coded offensively as stealing attempts, nothing to do with how fast they can actually run.

I think is baserunning what might be misleading you?

I don't know yet what Speed does in defense.

Then what does the rating STEALING mean?

Syd Thrift 07-17-2019 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirates (Post 4516022)
Then what does the rating STEALING mean?

It translates into success rates on steals. For instance, there were seasons where Ichiro may not have been the fastest person in the league by steal attempts but almost certainly had the highest Stealing rating equivalent (for example, 2008, when he was 43/47).

Pirates 07-17-2019 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Syd Thrift (Post 4516027)
It translates into success rates on steals. For instance, there were seasons where Ichiro may not have been the fastest person in the league by steal attempts but almost certainly had the highest Stealing rating equivalent (for example, 2008, when he was 43/47).

Thank you. I could never figure that out.

Argonaut 07-17-2019 12:26 PM

I also believe that Speed has an affect on.. well.. speed. Legging out grounders to first, avoiding double plays.. things like that. I know that it affects turning doubles into triples, unless that player has a specific triples rating. At least I hope Speed affects more than base stealing attempts.

Sharkn20 07-17-2019 01:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Argonaut (Post 4516042)
I also believe that Speed has an affect on.. well.. speed. Legging out grounders to first, avoiding double plays.. things like that. I know that it affects turning doubles into triples, unless that player has a specific triples rating. At least I hope Speed affects more than base stealing attempts.

I would be glad to see some statiscal evidence of this in-game

Argonaut 07-17-2019 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharkn20 (Post 4516055)
I would be glad to see some statiscal evidence of this in-game

In Perfect Team, I have a team designed around Speed. They routinely put up about +30 BsR, which translates to about 3 wins because of the team's superior Stealing, Speed, and Baserunning ability. This includes grounding into double plays and other factors.

Whether I'm sacrificing more or less than 3 wins by not having slower players that hit better, I can't say. But the PT engine is the same as the OOTP engine so I assume Speed adds value here too.

Pirates 07-17-2019 02:01 PM

I have asked about speed and what it actually means many times.

It would be nice if someone from OOTP actually answered that question.
I don't think that is asking too much.

ohiodevil 07-17-2019 02:27 PM

This is directly from the manual

Quote:

Running Speed

Running Speed is a measure of how quickly a player can run from one base to the next. Players with a high rating in Running Speed are more of a threat to steal bases, and are more likely to advance further on a ball in play. Running Speed is strictly for offensive play. For example, Running Speed does not factor into an outfielder's range. However, Running Speed and Defensive Range are linked internally. For example, as a player ages, his speed and range will generally decline at the same pace.
http://manuals.ootpdevelopments.com/...=other_ratings

Pirates 07-17-2019 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ohiodevil (Post 4516087)

OK, then what is baserunning?

Plus I have seen Willie Mays in the early 60's have a dismal running speed.
I saw Willie Mays play in person.
He was not slow or average.

Reed 07-17-2019 02:42 PM

Baserunning, again from the manual, is a measure of a players instincts when running the bases. Players with a high rating are more likely to take advantage of fielder miscues to advance, and less likely to get thrown out due to baserunning mistakes.
I think a slow runner can have good base running instincts.

Pirates 07-17-2019 02:47 PM

The problem here is this:
I have seen many fast baseball players who did not steal a lot of bases, have an abysmal running speed.

This is factually incorrect.

Reed 07-17-2019 03:48 PM

It sounds like your definition of running speed is different than the developers definition. The developers could use a different choice of words like, “threat of stealing”, or something like that.
Of course Willie Mays, along with Mickey Mantle, were very fast but their role on their teams like you said for Mays in the 60s was not to steal bases. Since they were not a threat to steal, their threat rating (called running speed by the developers) is not as high as some other players.
If they actually do try to steal a base, then that result will be based on their stealing base rating. How often the try to steal will be based on their speed rating, if the team is controlled by the AI.
At least that is how I understand it.

Argonaut 07-17-2019 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4516122)
It sounds like your definition of running speed is different than the developers definition. The developers could use a different choice of words like, “threat of stealing”, or something like that.
Of course Willie Mays, along with Mickey Mantle, were very fast but their role on their teams like you said for Mays in the 60s was not to steal bases. Since they were not a threat to steal, their threat rating (called running speed by the developers) is not as high as some other players.
If they actually do try to steal a base, then that result will be based on their stealing base rating. How often the try to steal will be based on their speed rating, if the team is controlled by the AI.

But that's just one component of the Speed stat. It also covers moving between the bases (at least I hope and believe it does). You wouldn't want Willie Mays being a sloth on the basepaths just because he didn't get the green light to steal. If that's the case that Willie is slow in the historical database, then yes I agree with Mr. Pirates that it's wrong.

I suspect there's a problem when pulling stats for the historical databases, as I'm sure they don't really have any way to judge foot speed. So it probably pulls the "Speed" rating only from stealing attempts.

Ty Cobb 07-17-2019 04:48 PM

You actually

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirates (Post 4516091)
OK, then what is baserunning?

Plus I have seen Willie Mays in the early 60's have a dismal running speed.
I saw Willie Mays play in person.
He was not slow or average.

saw him??? I'm so envious. That must have been a real treat to see him in his prime.

Reed 07-17-2019 04:57 PM

Pirates 07-17-2019 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ty Cobb (Post 4516155)
saw him??? I'm so envious. That must have been a real treat to see him in his prime.

I was lucky to see many great players. Being from Pittsburgh I got to see Clemente play on a daily basis.

It's a shame what they did to the game of baseball. The players are just as good, but the game lacks emotion and drags on forever. Players can't even learn to hit to the opposite field to take advantage or stop these crazy infield shifts. But that's a debate for another day.
I don't want to sidetrack the speed issue.

Reed 07-17-2019 05:11 PM

Ok, I am going to show my age. In the early 60s I lived south of San Francisco, San Mateo, and did see Mays, McCovey, Marichal in person. I think Mays was slowing down then, I remember thinking he was fast but he was not Lou Brock , Willie Davis, Maury Wills, etc. on the base path. IMO

Pirates 07-17-2019 05:17 PM

3 Attachment(s)
I started this new league, the Year 1963.
All 3 of these guys had above-average running speed, in real life.

Attachment 636534

Attachment 636535

Attachment 636536

Drstrangelove 07-18-2019 12:12 AM

Irl, in 1962, Mays, Mantle and Clemente stole a total of 33 bases. Speed is directly related to stealing attempts. They were not attempting to steal very often. So, what is wrong with the speed ratings? The issue I do see is with Mays' base running skill, which was notoriously amazing and certainly much higher than the other two. But that's me.

Giving them HIGH speed, thus having them steal 30-50 bases is flatly wrong. Clemente was not a base stealer, and Mantle's knees by 1963 already prohibited that type of running. (Even if it was popular, which is wasn't in that era.) Mays, of course, chose not to run, so to keep the bat in McCovey's hands, but that's history, so to speak.

Dyzalot 07-18-2019 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove (Post 4516302)
Irl, in 1962, Mays, Mantle and Clemente stole a total of 33 bases. Speed is directly related to stealing attempts. They were not attempting to steal very often. So, what is wrong with the speed ratings? The issue I do see is with Mays' base running skill, which was notoriously amazing and certainly much higher than the other two. But that's me.

Giving them HIGH speed, thus having them steal 30-50 bases is flatly wrong. Clemente was not a base stealer, and Mantle's knees by 1963 already prohibited that type of running. (Even if it was popular, which is wasn't in that era.) Mays, of course, chose not to run, so to keep the bat in McCovey's hands, but that's history, so to speak.

Someone posted earlier in this thread a quote from the manual and it doesn't match what you are saying. As far as I can tell from what the post earlier in this thread says about speed, if those guys were fast "base to base" but didn't steal many bases then shouldn't they have an above average speed rating with a low stealing rating?

Reed 07-18-2019 07:36 AM

SPEED is 2 components. How often you attempt to steal a base and your base to base running, ( I think how often you attempt to take an extra base is incorporated here. If you do not attempt to steal very often, then the best rating you can have in this area is average. I imagine stealing attempts is weighed much higher but that is a guess on my part.

STEALING is how likely you will be successful IF you attempt to steal. If you only attempt 5 steals and are successful each time, then you will have a poor, or average at best, SPEED rating but a high STEALING rating.

BASE-RUNNING instincts are basically how smart you are on the base path. If you are slow but never get thrown out attempting to take an extra base then you will probably have a high rating. If you are fast and take a lot of extra bases but get thrown out more than most, then you will have a low BASERUNNING rating but probably a high SPEED rating.

Matt Arnold 07-18-2019 08:22 AM

Yeah, as people have mentioned, the largest use of speed is how often they steal bases. It does have a factor in other places (it's a component of in-game baserunning, like when you're asked to send a runner, or infield hits, or stretching hits into extra bases).

Stealing as mentioned is sb%. So a guy like Donaldson is not very fast/doesn't try to steal much (low speed), but generally has a pretty high success rate (high stealing).

Baserunning is about instincts, so guys with high baserunning scores will tend to get doubled off bases less, and also be better at taking extra bases.

I agree that it's kind of annoying to see guys like Clemente or Mantle with low speed scores, but also keep in mind that we try to base historical ratings as much as possible on raw stats that we have, and unfortunately there's no public statcast running speed values going back to the 1950s, so we have to base the ratings on something.

Drstrangelove 07-18-2019 12:30 PM

Good examples are Herb Washington, Mickey Mantle (early days), and Deion Sanders. Those 3 were certifiably about the fastest around, yet their stolen base numbers look mediocre compared to guys like Morgan or Raines.

Argonaut 07-18-2019 02:17 PM

Thanks Matt. As I suspected Speed does have multiple uses. Perhaps Speed should be broken up into 2 components - Speed and Threat to Steal. But that might be hard to pull historical data for the pure Speed component.

Dyzalot 07-18-2019 03:07 PM

I'm surprised that speed isn't a much more "raw" number that things like outfield range and bunt for a hit abilities would be at least partly based upon. Extracting something like speed out of only one tiny aspect of the game seems a bit counter intuitive. I understand using stolen bases to help get a speed value but wouldn't it make sense to also use defensive metrics as well as general base running metrics to tease out an appropriate value? Why is speed so directly tied to base stealing when in the real MLB it probably has a lot more effect on defense than offense?

t-bone shuffle 07-18-2019 03:26 PM

What I know is that strictly measured footspeed,(home to 1B time, 1B to 3B, etc.) is an important part of player evaluation in professional and major division NCAA baseball.

The game doesn't really account for this in the way it's valued in reality. It's always bothered me some because it will occasionally produce an unrealistic combination of baserunning abilities with position range ratings.

I'm sure it's a function of the way the game engine works to produce accurate statistical results. Which I've come to accept.

But if you are hoping to see speed as an exact measurable, it's not here. It's certainly approximated when you see high ratings in all three categories.

In the real world (again Professional/major college) there is no such thing (for example) as an OF rated as ++ Range (scouted evaluation) who doesn't have at least + Footspeed (measured times against level averages). This isn't to say that it guarantees a good/great overall OF rating, because there are obviously many variables that make a player carry a high defensive position rating.

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have reached the point of believing that the system overall approximates the effects of measured footspeed as best it can.

battists 07-18-2019 05:33 PM

The other part of all of this is you are talking about real-world players. OOTP doesn't know a THING about real world players other than statistics. So for MLB players, there is a human being assigning a speed rating (I believe).

For historical players, the game can only extrapolate a speed rating based on historically-kept statistics like SBs.

I could be wrong about this, but it's at least part of the equation I think.

Dyzalot 07-18-2019 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by battists (Post 4516615)
The other part of all of this is you are talking about real-world players. OOTP doesn't know a THING about real world players other than statistics. So for MLB players, there is a human being assigning a speed rating (I believe).

For historical players, the game can only extrapolate a speed rating based on historically-kept statistics like SBs.

I could be wrong about this, but it's at least part of the equation I think.

But why only use SB stats when you could also use defensive stats as well as baserunning stats, infield hit stats, bunt hit stats, etc. to get a more accurate picture of speed? Certainly seems that if speed is going to affect things like baserunning that baserunning stats should be a part of the picture when evaluating speed.

Also it isn't just about "real world" players. It bothers my sense of immersion every time I see a fictional player generated with an excellent outfield range but no speed.

battists 07-18-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4516663)
But why only use SB stats when you could also use defensive stats as well as baserunning stats, infield hit stats, bunt hit stats, etc. to get a more accurate picture of speed? Certainly seems that if speed is going to affect things like baserunning that baserunning stats should be a part of the picture when evaluating speed.

Well, I don't know what stats are used for this, tbh. I was just stating that there is limited data from which to pull, particularly for historical players.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4516663)
Also it isn't just about "real world" players. It bothers my sense of immersion every time I see a fictional player generated with an excellent outfield range but no speed.

Agree with you there, but that's a separate issue.

Reed 07-19-2019 07:08 AM

You are misinterpreting what Matt said. If a player is generated with excellent outfield range but no speed means he is fast or can quickly judge where a ball is going to etc., but for some reason he will not attempt many stolen basis. Maybe he can not get a good read on pitchers or he can not slide avoiding tags, etc..
Just because a player has good defensive range does not mean they will attempt a lot of stolen bases.

Pirates 07-19-2019 11:23 AM

On Clemente's running speed:

Sparky Anderson said: When he hit a ground ball to the infield, he was flying to first. That fielder better not be napping. People didn’t realize how fast he was. He only stole bases if it meant something.

Al Campanis said:
Then we had the timed races – 60 yards. Everybody’s running about 7.2, 7.3, which is an average major league time. Then Clemente came and ran a 6.4-plus. That’s a track man’s time! And in a baseball uniform!" [40] "Hell, the world’s record then was only 6.1. I couldn’t believe it." [41] "I asked him to run again, and he was even a little faster. He could fly!" [42]

These 2 guys knew more about baseball than anyone that created these crazy formulas.

When I play, I just edit historical running speeds for players that I know are incorrect.

NoOne 07-19-2019 12:21 PM

It's also important to remember that "slow" is a relative term for this group of professional athletes.

One of the funniest things i have witnessed is some west coast reporter that constantly ragged on Adrian Gonzales (1b of dodgers et al.) about how slow he was. After more than a few articles that mentioned it, someone proposed a race, and they did it.

The 'clod' gonzalez left the guy int he dust, lol.

whether it was a reporter, talk show radio host or just some moron off the street, you get the point.

Slow for these guys isn't necessarily slow, unless you are talking about a cecil fielder type. There aren't that many that fit this bill, even amongst the 'slow' ones.

The elite speed guys are different, but a large portion are all relatively quick and only a few steps separate most players.

We could do the math over 90' using fast and slow 40-times and it's going to be a matter of fractions of a second and a few feet. you'd have to scale down 40-times, because running around bases is not optimum. you don't get foot blocks to kick off of, and you have to complete a swing and reposition body coming out of the box to start off. Corners slow you down too.

it may look like the math is ~9' difference between a 4.5s and 5.0s 40-time, but it's going to be smaller than that. More importantly, even shorter than .375s difference too. the time makes it more obvious, imo.

taling a 1/4 of a second for an average to elite speed over 90 feet. I bet a 5.0 in the 40 is below average for mlb -- anyone that isn't ~40 and position allows doesn't allow them to be a sloth and still competent.

As far as what things do, that's been cleared up, obviously. As far as effect on stealing simply go test it, if unsure. take any clod with 80/100 and higher stealing ability and crank up his individual stealing tendancy. your manager's slider may influence the individual startegy, unless you tell him to ignore team strategy, etc.

if they are 90+, i move that slider up all the way or 1 down from max. That's with a middle-of-the-road manager strategy to start as a base.

at 80ish, i start at -2 or -1 from max, but i will put the toe into the pool and see what happens if i max it out. If they maintain their high-% success rate, i allow results to determine that last bit.

This stuff isn't 100% clockwork, but you can narrow it down significantly with a little attention and retention. You should know just by the ratings where to start, then adjust a notch or two from there based on results.

I think there's some sort of experience factor for stealing too. Some guys with high speed and ability ratings simply take 2-3 years of poor results before they start stealing at a 75-80+% clip in my leagues. That's in addition to other possible factors that potentially cause variation between 1 player and the average/what you typicalyl see from similarly rated players -- beyond random luck with same %-rate in reality.

about clemente only stealing when it matteres -- smart guy. It may reduce %sucess a little bit compared to stealing all the time, but also increase %-success in the smaller subset of meaningful moments-- more likely to catch someone sleeping, if the perception is you don't steal much. whereas if you steal all the time, you get no benefit of occasional laziness from the defense or less often at least.

if it doesn't help, it's just an e-peen. selfish, self-centered behaviour that is quantifiably detrimental to the team's success.

Pirates 07-19-2019 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NoOne (Post 4516899)

As far as what things do, that's been cleared up, obviously. As far as effect on stealing simply go test it, if unsure. take any clod with 80/100 and higher stealing ability and crank up his individual stealing tendancy. your manager's slider may influence the individual startegy, unless you tell him to ignore team strategy, etc.

I am not concerned with stealing. My problem is, Clemente can barely tag up. Look at the card I posted.
I saw Clemente play, he never had a problem tagging up or taking an extra base.

Corners don't slow you up when tagging up.

NoOne 07-19-2019 01:00 PM

it wasn't just about the op, but the ongoing conversation. well, that's out of context as far as taking corners comment, of course it doesn't do that :p

just saying it's easy to deduce what it does and then work with it.

Don't like a historical player's speed. Change it. Don't make those assessments based on 3d-graphics that you see, either. you'd have to do some data mining on his results to determine how much the slower speed is affecting his average, rs or whatever else that relates in some way to speed.

how could they model someone that didn't historically steal much, but was fast, and still make it work for all other players? there's no 1 perfect way. the current way doesn't have many leaks, even though clemente, or whoever else, may slip through in some way relating to modeling speed correctly.

again, you're talking about fractions of a second here between fast and average. or, possibly even sub-50 i ootp, not really sure how that scales with the naked eye. it's impossible to see.

if you only question a handful of players out of tens of thousands, it's probably as good as it gets.

Argonaut 07-19-2019 01:19 PM

Thought this video is definitely relevant to the discussion: Albert Pujols Might Be Too Slow for Baseball. I've linked another one of this guy's videos before... they're very good quality.

I agree with the notion that all you can really do with a historical start is to edit the ratings yourself. OOTP pulls stats to generate ratings, and it would be difficult for them to go in and manually edit a lot of the famous guys who were faster than their Speed rating indicates. If they edit one or two, it's unfair to the rest of the database who didn't get the same treatment. But in your own personal save, edit away!

fredbeene 07-19-2019 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4516333)
Someone posted earlier in this thread a quote from the manual and it doesn't match what you are saying. As far as I can tell from what the post earlier in this thread says about speed, if those guys were fast "base to base" but didn't steal many bases then shouldn't they have an above average speed rating with a low stealing rating?

YES YES YES.

Speed should be HOW FAST are you. It should be a component of basestealing, range (we know that is not the case though), beating gb, double plays advancing.
It should combine with BASERUNNING instincts.

If I have BOOG powell (SLOWWWWWW) and Willie Mays(FAST)
Boog should have low potential to ever be a great base stealer, and i likely would not try to stretch doubles into triples.
Willie may have low base stealing attempts for managers decision, a big bat behind him....but he should have the POTENTIAL to be basestealer, extra bases etc because of his raw speed.

Speed rating is randomly generated from the many many examples I have posted in the past. You can see hundreds of changes from 19 to 20.

Joe Morgan was not a truck his rookie year.

fredbeene 07-19-2019 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle (Post 4516564)
What I know is that strictly measured footspeed,(home to 1B time, 1B to 3B, etc.) is an important part of player evaluation in professional and major division NCAA baseball.

The game doesn't really account for this in the way it's valued in reality. It's always bothered me some because it will occasionally produce an unrealistic combination of baserunning abilities with position range ratings.

I'm sure it's a function of the way the game engine works to produce accurate statistical results. Which I've come to accept.

But if you are hoping to see speed as an exact measurable, it's not here. It's certainly approximated when you see high ratings in all three categories.

In the real world (again Professional/major college) there is no such thing (for example) as an OF rated as ++ Range (scouted evaluation) who doesn't have at least + Footspeed (measured times against level averages). This isn't to say that it guarantees a good/great overall OF rating, because there are obviously many variables that make a player carry a high defensive position rating.

Don't know if this is helpful or not, but I have reached the point of believing that the system overall approximates the effects of measured footspeed as best it can.

It is doubtful you will ever have raw speed for historical players, or things like how pitch speed or repitoire.
Some of these things need to be manuallly fixed

There is plenty of books, mags blogs on players other attributes.
Randy Jones awesome sinker ball
Clemente FASSSSSSSSSST

A combination of known facts along with likely attributes such as CF is probably your fastest man can help the ratings be more realistic.

You should be able to develop as a base stealer and baserunning instincts. Your raw speed likely peaks around 20, with more potential to go down over time rather than up

fredbeene 07-19-2019 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirates (Post 4516906)
I am not concerned with stealing. My problem is, Clemente can barely tag up. Look at the card I posted.
I saw Clemente play, he never had a problem tagging up or taking an extra base.

Corners don't slow you up when tagging up.

Yes it is a problem in the game and it does take time to edit all the players.
It would be nice if there was a quickstart with edited players

Dyzalot 07-19-2019 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reed (Post 4516820)
You are misinterpreting what Matt said. If a player is generated with excellent outfield range but no speed means he is fast or can quickly judge where a ball is going to etc., but for some reason he will not attempt many stolen basis. Maybe he can not get a good read on pitchers or he can not slide avoiding tags, etc..
Just because a player has good defensive range does not mean they will attempt a lot of stolen bases.

I misinterpreted nothing. Matt says that speed rating also affects infield hits, advancing bases and stealing yet they derive the number solely from stealing results. That seems like a huge imbalance.

t-bone shuffle 07-20-2019 02:55 PM

It seems to me the root issue here is the game's need to produce statistical accuracy in replay mode while balancing player modeling/ability/potential in the fictional mode (which includes current season MLB rosters which become "fictional" when advancing one day).

In a replay, there's likely always the player who had a 13/1 SB/CS season, but is average or below average in measured footspeed. How do you reconcile this reasonably, particularly in a fictional setting?

The only solution I can imagine is to add a 4th rating that is strictly devoted to player footspeed. This would address the issues like a slow dribbler to the left side, or stretching a single into a double. With this type of rating, the afore mentioned Willie Mays (in his prime) would carry a rating that causes his success/safe rate to be well above league average. Boog Powell's success rate would be in the zero neighborhood. (Yes I saw them both in their prime).

Then consider that this footspeed rating would somehow need to combine/work with a "baserunning" ability to affect a "good" baserunner from a "bad" one on the various plays where both come into play.

So, a lot to ask/expect/hope for. Unfortunately not likely. Not necessarily a bad thing though, IMO.

Anyone 07-26-2019 03:29 AM

They need separate ratings for running speed and the likelihood of a stolen base attempt. Simple as that.

For historical players, stats for the pure speed rating were available before more advanced stats existed, Bill James writing in the 1980's had "speed scores." I'm not sure exactly what was in them, but something like stolen bases, stolen base percentage, triples as a percentage of hits (or relative to doubles)-- which by default speed is used for already, % of AB's (or of outs) that result in grounding into a DP, Runs scores as a percentage of times on base not counting HR's.... Also, how far back does percentage of times taking an extra base go?

Any of those alone isn't a perfect indicator or as good as what we have now. Each has distortions. But put them together and the distortions will tend to cancel each other out.and give a better approximation of a players' raw speed than what we have in the game now.

Argonaut 07-26-2019 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anyone (Post 4519428)
They need separate ratings for running speed and the likelihood of a stolen base attempt. Simple as that.

For historical players, stats for the pure speed rating were available before more advanced stats existed, Bill James writing in the 1980's had "speed scores." I'm not sure exactly what was in them, but something like stolen bases, stolen base percentage, triples as a percentage of hits (or relative to doubles)-- which by default speed is used for already, % of AB's (or of outs) that result in grounding into a DP, Runs scores as a percentage of times on base not counting HR's.... Also, how far back does percentage of times taking an extra base go?

Any of those alone isn't a perfect indicator or as good as what we have now. Each has distortions. But put them together and the distortions will tend to cancel each other out.and give a better approximation of a players' raw speed than what we have in the game now.

That's a really good point, and something I didn't think about. Surely with all of those things together, a proper Speed rating could be sussed out. I'm totally on board.

One Great Matrix 07-27-2019 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pirates (Post 4516104)
The problem here is this:
I have seen many fast baseball players who did not steal a lot of bases, have an abysmal running speed.

This is factually incorrect.

There's a tton oof players in the game & they don't know everyone of them from your seat. When notified of an error they look into it.
From what I heard Mantle was a fast runner around the bases, his stealing rating is rather high on one of my PT cards but his speed is VERY low.

I think the basic batting & pitching statistics are least error-prone.

One Great Matrix 07-27-2019 03:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by t-bone shuffle (Post 4517328)
It seems to me the root issue here is the game's need to produce statistical accuracy in replay mode while balancing player modeling/ability/potential in the fictional mode (which includes current season MLB rosters which become "fictional" when advancing one day).

In a replay, there's likely always the player who had a 13/1 SB/CS season, but is average or below average in measured footspeed. How do you reconcile this reasonably, particularly in a fictional setting?

The only solution I can imagine is to add a 4th rating that is strictly devoted to player footspeed. This would address the issues like a slow dribbler to the left side, or stretching a single into a double. With this type of rating, the afore mentioned Willie Mays (in his prime) would carry a rating that causes his success/safe rate to be well above league average. Boog Powell's success rate would be in the zero neighborhood. (Yes I saw them both in their prime).

Then consider that this footspeed rating would somehow need to combine/work with a "baserunning" ability to affect a "good" baserunner from a "bad" one on the various plays where both come into play.

So, a lot to ask/expect/hope for. Unfortunately not likely. Not necessarily a bad thing though, IMO.

Yes whenever I've noticed something off I've also thought of sort of contradictions or just plain limitations in coding. Re-creating baseball isn't cake.

But Bill James best work is great stuff. Some of it...I do not care for but his best stuff could surely assist in little details.

Drstrangelove 07-27-2019 12:45 PM

I'm wondering if this is simply a request to change what the game says as opposed to what it does?

I.e., so far, no one has said that Clemente's or Mantle's number of SB or triples are wrong? The complaint seems to be that the game should say "FAST" where it doesn't? Is that the complaint? I.e., if the game had said "FAST" next to those players, we wouldn't have a thread?

Reed 07-27-2019 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove (Post 4519823)
I'm wondering if this is simply a request to change what the game says as opposed to what it does?

I.e., so far, no one has said that Clemente's or Mantle's number of SB or triples are wrong? The complaint seems to be that the game should say "FAST" where it doesn't? Is that the complaint? I.e., if the game had said "FAST" next to those players, we wouldn't have a thread?

Basically the same thing I was wondering. Are Clemente/Mantle OOTP total doubles and triples close to their real life numbers or is there a huge discrepancy, assuming the same number of at bats. People talk about the various ratings but no one has posted the actual stat output.

Dyzalot 07-27-2019 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Drstrangelove (Post 4519823)

Matt said that the speed rating is used for things like beating out infield hits, whether you gidp or not, stretching doubles into triples, etc.

Drstrangelove 07-27-2019 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dyzalot (Post 4519894)
Matt said that the speed rating is used for things like beating out infield hits, whether you gidp or not, stretching doubles into triples, etc.

It just seems some suggestion in-game stats are wrong or must be wrong. I was wondering if that's conjecture or something they can post. It's simply hard to move an issue without evidence.