OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   TBCB Inside the Ropes (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Notes From A Title Bout Universe (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=169149)

Jersey-Jim 07-03-2008 12:47 AM

Notes From A Title Bout Universe

Jermain Taylor vs. Nigel Benn
(Taylor's defending his WBA, WBC & IBF Middleweight titles against Nigel Benn).

Early Line: Benn should be too strong and agressive for Taylor to hold off.

The Fight:
Taylor sets down on his punches and meets Benn in ring center. Benn gets countered by crisp, clean counterpunches in the first. Nigel visits the canvas in the second for a brief 2 count. Benn finally starts to land in the third catching Taylor with a few big shots. His moment in the sun, however, is short lived. Benn gets pummeled from pillar to post in the fourth and visits the canvas twice in the fourth. The final time, for the complete 10 count. Benn's undefeated record disappears along with his aura of invincibility.

Jersey-Jim 07-03-2008 11:48 AM

Jr. Middleweight Title Unification

Fernando Vargas vs. Kassim Ouma
(Jr Middleweight Title Unification 15 Rounds).

Early Line: Vargas is talking trash, Ouma counters with a Mugabi "I knock him out" impression. Both fighters undefeated. Pick 'em fight

The first half of the fight (rounds 1 through 7) fought on fairly even terms. Both fighters moving well, scoring with sharp punches, counter punches, etc. The only damage - a small cut under Vargas's left eye caused from an Ouma hook in the 2nd. In the 8th round, a big Vargas hook put's Ouma on Queer/Stumble drunk street. Ouma fights on instincts to survive the round.
Vargas turns up the heat in 9th and 10th, capitalizing on his advantage. In the 11th, Ouma (now clear-headed) turns it up a notch and attacks like a man in desparation of a miracle. Vargas sags against the ropes, and just when it appears that a forced stoppage is about to occur, Vargas throws a desparate "hail mary hook" from somewhere in the cheap seats. Down goes Ouma! Ouma pops up at the count of 2. He shakes his head - "I'm not hurt, it was a balance shot."

Arthur Mercante Jr. waves the two together and a three punch combination immediately puts Ouma back on the floor. Ouma drags himself into upright position at the count of 8. Mercante takes a long hard look and waves to two titlists back together. Ouma get pounded - teetering on the brink of getting brutally kayoed when he is saved by the bell.

As it turns out, it was Vargas's last hurrah. Ouma spends the 12th through the 15th rounds on his bycycle but manages to tag Vargas with some hellatious bombs here and there in an effort to keep him at bay. Vargas follows Ouma around the ring the final four rounds, swelling up around the eye and landing a punch here and there.

The fight goes to the scorecards.

It's a split decision.

Vargas walks away with the unified title. Beer cups, boos and booze pour down upon the ring.
Fans demand a rematch. Ouma's corner cries, "We wuz robbed."

Vargas counters, "I had him on the floor multiple times, I landed the more effective punches."
Ouma says he thinks someone spiked his water and wants a rematch.

... to be continued

Jersey-Jim 07-03-2008 12:03 PM

Zab Judah vs. Shane Mosley
(Welterweight Title Unification 15 Rounds).

Early Line: Lots of unifications taking place in my universe. This one being one of the more hotly anticipated ones.

Judah: "I'm too fast, you know what I'm saying? I got speed, power... you know what I'm saying? What's he gonna do? He can't cope with what I've got, you know what I'm saying?"

Judah won the title with a close decision win over Floyd Mayweather last year. But Mosley should carry his power into the late rounds and that may very well be the difference in what should be a close decision victory or late rounds stoppage.

The Fight:

Mosley races out of his corner at the opening bell unloading sizzling combinations! It looks like he's trying to get Judah out of there immediately! A bug-eyed Judah retreats to the ropes and begins using side to side movement to slow down Mosley's attack. One minute left in the round. Judah digs in an stops Mosley in his tracks with a blistering combination. Crowd's on its feet! Another Judah combination. Bell sounds ending a great first round.

Both fighters keeping the fast-paced action going through the 2nd and 3rd. No way these guys are going to keep this up for 15 rounds. Judah on the attack in the 4th. Mosley's down! Walked right into a counter left hook! He's up at the count of three and there's a cut over his right eye. The ref says it's from an unintentional headbutt. Judah's on the attack again. Mosley's right eye starting to puff up. There's the bell ending the round. Judah's talking trash in the center of the ring...

The pace has finally slowed in the 5th. Mosley's cut is closed. The swelling doesn't look good but it doesn't seem to be affecting his vision much. Pretty even round. Judah turns up the heat in the 6th. Mosley's eye is looking back. The cut is now streaming blood steadily into his eye. The doctor's taking a look at at. The fight will continue.

Both guys banging inside in the 7th. Mosley's eye is a mess. The end may be near. Judah targeting the eye with the jab.
Wait... the ref is stopping the action. He's leading Mosley over to the doctor.

That's it. They're stopping it. The cut was ruled to be caused from an accidental headbutt. According to the rules, they're going to the scorecards after 4 rounds...

I don't see how Mosley's gonna get the nod in this one. Judah's talking more trash again. I was hoping to see him brutally kayoed in this one. Oh, well.

Here comes the decision:
Ernesto Magana's got it 58-55
Duane Ford 57-56
Jay Edson 57-56

Judah's the winner. He squeaked by Floyd Mayweather, huffing and puffing his way through the 11th and 12 rounds... and now he's beaten Mosley. Where's the justice? Max Kellerman aside, everyone's looking forward to the day when Judah's title reign is over.

Tony Galento ehoes my thought, "What? What do I think of Judah? Fugettaboutit, the guy's a bum!"

Mad Bomber 07-03-2008 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim (Post 2525912)
Jermain Taylor vs. Nigel Benn
(Taylor's defending his WBA, WBC & IBF Middleweight titles against Nigel Benn).

Early Line: Benn should be too strong and agressive for Taylor to hold off.

The Fight:
Taylor sets down on his punches and meets Benn in ring center. Benn gets countered by crisp, clean counterpunches in the first. Nigel visits the canvas in the second for a brief 2 count. Benn finally starts to land in the third catching Taylor with a few big shots. His moment in the sun, however, is short lived. Benn gets pummeled from pillar to post in the fourth and visits the canvas twice in the fourth. The final time, for the complete 10 count. Benn's undefeated record disappears along with his aura of invincibility.

Sounds like it was a good fight, but I am surprised that Taylor won, but that might just be me as I am not a fan. We all love this game, and the match-ups that can be created.

Greg

Jersey-Jim 07-03-2008 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mad Bomber (Post 2526315)
Sounds like it was a good fight, but I am surprised that Taylor won, but that might just be me as I am not a fan. We all love this game, and the match-ups that can be created.

Greg

I was very surprised Taylor won myself. I was already lining up matches for Benn in my mind. Now Taylor looks like he's going to make things happen.

kenyan_cheena 07-03-2008 11:40 PM

Nice to see a new contributor in these parts. Just wondering if you have a timeline in your uni, how you have the divisions set up, etc.

Jersey-Jim 07-04-2008 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kenyan_cheena (Post 2526922)
Nice to see a new contributor in these parts. Just wondering if you have a timeline in your uni, how you have the divisions set up, etc.

UNIVERSE DETAILS...

Every division with the exception of the Strawweight Division is represented in this universe. Most of the Divisions still have multi title-holders and will be unifying (due to popular demand). Cigar chomping reporter’s w/hats are ringside fixtures in a universe that half early 2000's and half 1930's in its style.

Whiskey, water, black coffee and beer are the beverages of choice. The word “Latte” has yet to make it into the English language

Everyone chain smokes either cigarettes, cigars or a combination of the two. Legal smoking age is 14. Drinking age is 15.

The average child receives their first set of gloves at 6.

Chocolate, Vanilla and Strawberry are the only ice cream flavors on the planet.

No one seems to get much sleep and it’s not uncommon for the average working stiff to turn on the CableNetwork at 1:00 a.m. and see what’s playing on the Middleweight Channel.

There’s a cable station dedicated to boxing and other cable stations devoted to each weight class. The only sports on the planet are boxing, baseball, football (American) and soccer.

Fighters 80-0 and 0-80 are equally respected by the boxing crazed society.

Norman Mailer and Ernest Hemingway can usually be seen at ringside for most championship bouts.

Unified title fights are scheduled for 15 rounds. Fractured titles – 12 rounds.
The people have great pull amongst the ranking organizations and send their ranking votes over the wire via cell phone once a month. Newspapers still use the old manual typewriters thanks to the cigarette and cigar smoking reporters in hats. Too many keyboards where short circuited and burned up by chunks of burning ash falling in between the keys.

Father Murphys inhabit most inner-cities where they still teach kids to hook of the jab.

No one ever dies or is permanently injured in the ring.

Occasionally, a knocked out stiff is returned to the dressing room and deposited on the floor in a wheelbarrow. Stretchers are reserved for more serious things (like pregnant women) in this universe.

There are no speed limits on the roadways except for neighborhoods where you’ll be pulled over immediately if you exceed 50 mph.

Title Unifications have become the craze of the day and are bringing the sport to an all-time high as far as popularity goes. A couple of 3rd graders throwing jabs on a street corner has even been known to draw throngs of fans within a matter of minutes.

This is the humble universe I’ve created after many years (since the late 70’s) of universe creating.

Take the red pill and you’ll wake up in your bed tomorrow morning and everything will be exactly the same as it was before. White Russians will be sitting atop 2 of the 3 Heavyweight summits.

Take the blue pill and you stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole really goes…:p

mh2365 07-04-2008 03:29 PM

Good stuff

Tosti 07-04-2008 05:06 PM

Very good Jim

grevan 07-04-2008 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim (Post 2527490)
No one seems to get much sleep and it’s not uncommon for the average working stiff to turn on the CableNetwork at 1:00 a.m. and see what’s playing on the Middleweight Channel.

Take the blue pill and you stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole really goes…:p

Great stuff. Think I'll stock up on blue pills and see what's on the Middleweight Channel.

hamed 07-04-2008 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim (Post 2526278)

Early Line: Lots of unifications taking place in my universe. This one being one of the more hotly anticipated ones.

Judah: "I'm too fast, you know what I'm saying? I got speed, power... you know what I'm saying? What's he gonna do? He can't cope with what I've got, you know what I'm saying?"

Judah won the title with a close decision win over Floyd Mayweather last year. But Mosley should carry his power into the late rounds and that may very well be the difference in what should be a close decision victory or late rounds stoppage.

You have some good fights here Jim! I had these two match-up in my uni a couple years ago. Zab was my IBF champ & Shane was the challenger. Despite dropping Zab twice over 15 rounds, Zab escaped to retain his title via a 15 SD.

I had one big fight last month where James Toney was trying to defend his WBA SMW title for the 18th time (and break Sugar Ray's mark of 17 record in my uni). Toney had already defended against Mikkel Kessler with a Draw so after a knocking out Hamdan for this 17th title defense, the WBA ordered a rematch. This time I used the 10 rated Mikkel (I used the 8 rating in the 1st fight) someone posted here a few months ago. This time Kessler went right after Toney, dropping him 5 times in the fight & 3 times in the 11th for the TKO to take Toney's crown. It was surprising how Kessler dominated the fight because both guys I used were rated @ 10.

Jersey-Jim 07-05-2008 01:12 PM

This just in...

Joel Casamayor vs. Jose Luis Castillo
(Lightweight Title Unification 15 Rounds).

Early Line: Fans questioning... will the best version of Casamayor be facing the best version of Castillo? Uneven performances have led to disappointing outings over the last 12 months for both champions. Castillo promises to slow down Casamayor with a brutal body attack. Casamayor insults (we think) Castillo in Spanish. No interpreters available in my universe.

The Fight:

Casamayor meet Castillo at ring center and commits to several neck jarring jabs. Castillo pursues. Castillo trying to set down on his punches. Joel Casamayor jabbing and using the whole ring to his advantage. The first three rounds – more of the same. Casamayor’s speed seems to be too much for Castillo. Castillo finally finds his range in the 5th. Castillo presses the attack, raking Casamayor’s body like its meat swinging from a hook in a walk-in freezer.

Casamayor gets off the bicycle in 7th out-slugs Castillo in close quarters! Place is going nuts. Castillo’s lumping up pretty good. The crowd’s on its feet.

I finish a lukewarm hotdog between rounds. Tastes like a rolled up piece of baloney on stale bread. God, I love this atmosphere…

Castillo charging Casamayor in the 8th. Casamayor taking it to the body again. Castillo’s mouth and nose are bloodied. Casamayor remains unmarked.

Casamayor out-speeding and out-punching Castillo again in the 9th and 10th. With five rounds to go, I think Castillo is either going to need a knockdown or two or a knockout to come out of this one – undisputed champ.

Oh, a counter hook drops Castillo on the seat of his pants in the 11th. I think the writing’s on the wall.

Castillo getting picked apart in the 12th…

Oooofff! Casamayor digs a batter ram of a body shot into Castillo and down goes Castillo! Castillo’s down!

He’s done. I think he can get up, but he’s just sitting there. Nope he’s done… he’s taking a full count. Angry supporters showering the ring with Beer and Popcorn.

Casamayor unities the title!

Next up… Judah and Mosley

CONN CHRIS 07-05-2008 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jersey-Jim (Post 2527490)
Norman Mailer and Ernest Hemingway can usually be seen at ringside for most championship bouts.

I like your style! I assume that you've read Mailer's The Fight.

bear 07-05-2008 01:32 PM

Lots of fun, Jim. Good show.

Bear

Jersey-Jim 07-05-2008 02:25 PM

*A Fight Reporter's Journal: July 6th*

Woke up in seedy Motel 6 in the bad part of town. Choked down some cornflakes with beer (milk unavailable). A stick of stale gum and a few tokes on the cigar and I'm on my way to Giants stadium in East Rutherford New Jersey for the pre-fight weigh-in's. It's Mosley against Judah and Casamayor against Castillo.

Double check the glove compartment. A few days supply of cheap cigars, some more stale gum... I'm all set.

*Advice from a guy living on road...

1. Never play cards with a guy named Doc
2. Never eat breakfast at a place called "Moms"
3. Never lie next to a woman who has more problems than you do.

Jersey-Jim 07-05-2008 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CONN CHRIS (Post 2528325)
I like your style! I assume that you've read Mailer's The Fight.

Actually, I've only read Norm's autobiography. But I write articles and booklets on the side - so, it's 2nd nature I guess.

Mad Bomber 07-05-2008 04:40 PM

Jim, excellent job I thought Casamayor would take that one.

Greg

Jersey-Jim 07-05-2008 09:08 PM

If I were betting on these fights, I'd be broke.

Jersey-Jim 07-05-2008 11:01 PM

The Fight:

Mosley races out of his corner at the opening bell unloading sizzling combinations! It looks like he's trying to get Judah out of there immediately! A bug-eyed Judah retreats to the ropes and begins using side to side movement to slow down Mosley's attack. One minute left in the round. Judah digs in an stops Mosley in his tracks with a blistering combination. Crowd's on its feet! Another Judah combination. Bell sounds ending a great first round.

Both fighters keeping the fast-paced action going through the 2nd and 3rd. No way these guys are going to keep this up for 15 rounds. Judah on the attack in the 4th. Mosley's down! Walked right into a counter left hook! He's up at the count of three and there's a cut over his right eye. The ref says it's from an unintentional headbutt. Judah's on the attack again. Mosley's right eye starting to puff up. There's the bell ending the round. Judah's talking trash in the center of the ring...

The pace has finally slowed in the 5th. Mosley's cut is closed. The swelling doesn't look good but it doesn't seem to be affecting his vision much. Pretty even round. Judah turns up the heat in the 6th. Mosley's eye is looking back. The cut is now streaming blood steadily into his eye. The doctor's taking a look at at. The fight will continue.

Both guys banging inside in the 7th. Mosley's eye is a mess. The end may be near. Judah targeting the eye with the jab.
Wait... the ref is stopping the action. He's leading Mosley over to the doctor.

That's it. They're stopping it. The cut was ruled to be caused from an accidental headbutt. According to the rules, they're going to the scorecards after 4 rounds...

I don't see how Mosley's gonna get the nod in this one. Judah's talking more trash again. I was hoping to see him brutally kayoed in this one. Oh, well.

Here comes the decision:
Ernesto Magana's got it 58-55
Duane Ford 57-56
Jay Edson 57-56

Judah's the winner. He squeaked by Floyd Mayweather, huffing and puffing his way through the 11th and 12 rounds... and now he's beaten Mosley. Where's the justice? Max Kellerman aside, everyone's looking forward to the day when Judah's title reign is over.

Tony Galento ehoes my thought, "What? What do I think of Judah? Fugettaboutit, the guy's a bum!"

Jersey-Jim 07-06-2008 01:26 PM

Contender Fight

John Ruiz vs. Calvin Brock (Heavyweight)

Early Line: Brock on the comeback trail after a title shot ended in a knockout defeat two years ago. John Ruiz, an up and coming clutch and grab Heavyweight contender is undefeated. No Doze (containing 200 mg of caffiene is available at the concession stand) during Ruiz's fights.

The Fight: Both fighters trade sharp punches to begin the first. Brock lands a huge right hand and Ruiz collapses through the ropes. Ruiz is up quickly but seems sort of out of it. Like a guy who can't remember where the car was parked. He covers well and rides out the storm in the first.

Ruiz turns agressive (yes, you read that correctly) and takes the fight to Brock in the 2nd and 3rd. Brock's stictly in defensive mode. Both guys fighting pretty evenly through the 4th and 5th rounds. Ruiz clearly landing more punches but Brocks seem slightly more effective.

Brock absorbs some big shots from Ruiz in the 6th and 7th rounds! His right eye starts swelling noticeably. They collide heads accidentally at the end of the round and Ruiz is sporting a gusher under his right eye. These guys are putting on a good show.

They're trading leather again in the 8th. Brock is taking a beating out there. He looks bad. I think this one is just about over.

Ruiz out fast for the start of the 9th. Oh! Brock just turned Ruiz's head with a big left hook like it was on a swivel! Two murderous hooks almost decapitate Ruiz and he goes down in a heap! Ruiz trying to drag himself off the floor. I don't think he's going to make it! No, he's up at 9! The ref's taking a long look at Ruiz... he's gonna let them go.

Brock lands an overhand right. Down goes Ruiz again! I can't believe it, Ruiz is up at 3! There's no dog in Ruiz tonight. Finally, they clinch. Both fighters look exhausted. There's the bell.

One round of fighting left. We may be watching the fight of the year.
There's the bell for the 10th and final round. Fighters touch gloves. Brock can barely lift his hands. Ruiz clinches. Brock lands a few shots and starts moving towards Ruiz. Ruiz jabs. There's the bell. We're going to the scorecards.

My good buddy Tony Galento would have loved this fight. I'm trying to talk him into a comeback. He's retired and running a bar on Bloomfield Avenue in Newark. If you ever get over that way, tell him Jersey-Jim sent you. You'll get a free shot of whiskey on the house.

Here's the decision:

97-91
93-93
97-91

Brock takes a unanimous decision! I don't know about those scores? I thought it was closer? Ruiz outpunched Brock 285 to 161! Well, with one 10-8 round and one 10-7 round... I can agree with the outcome but the scores look a little off.

Oh well, I've gotta run. Gotta catch a cab and get over to the "Lucky Stiff" tavern for a few beers and a post fight wrap up for my editor. See you later...