OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 14 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3858)
-   -   Career ending injury unrealistic (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=232971)

diesel230 06-02-2013 04:22 PM

Career ending injury unrealistic

On May 17th Carlos Beltran dives for a ball and is injured on the play. After the game its known that he tore his labrum, will never play baseball again and is released by the Cardinals.

I LOVE the game but must say i find it unrealistic that with career ending injuries, the day of the injury, it is known what the injury is, its known that the players career is over and the player is released all in the same day.

Couldn't it take a few days for some of the injury information, just like the other more severe injuries in the game? Could it be implemented that the player stays with the team on the dl, maybe some news reports throughout the year about the players status before he announces his retirement due to the injury?

PSUColonel 06-02-2013 04:34 PM

I have always maintained that career ending injuries should not exist at all. Instead, a players skills should just diminish to the point where the player will likely either be released or retire, just like other players with poor ratings. As it stands now, injuries can and do affect players' ratings....why should CEIs be any different?

The Game 06-02-2013 08:04 PM

A Torn Labrum seems to be way to common in the game when i don;t see it nearly as much IRL. I have seen at least 5 players in my 2004 season retire due to a torn labrum.

nyy26wc 06-02-2013 09:28 PM

If I remember correctly, didn't a prior edition of OOTP include the ability to disable CEIs? Maybe around 5 years ago.

Or, maybe I'm thinking that, back then, someone posted a workaround that involved just removing them from the injury database.

PSUColonel 06-03-2013 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyy26wc (Post 3513995)
If I remember correctly, didn't a prior edition of OOTP include the ability to disable CEIs? Maybe around 5 years ago.

Or, maybe I'm thinking that, back then, someone posted a workaround that involved just removing them from the injury database.

not the point, it really needs to be re-implemented in a similar manner to the one I described above.

Charlie Hough 06-03-2013 01:26 AM

Injuries can be edited by going into your OOTP Baseball files and editing the appropriate file. You can effectively eliminate career ending injuries by eliminating the chance that the relevant injuries can become career ending.

Also, you can adjust the injury diagnosis settings when you create a game or after you've started one. This can be done within OOTP. I would assume that this applies to CEI just like any other, but I could be wrong. I prefer to know the diagnoses immediately, so I turn off the delay.

Mike D 06-03-2013 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3514031)
not the point, it really needs to be re-implemented in a similar manner to the one I described above.

Needs to? Like no middle ground, your way is the law?

PSUColonel 06-03-2013 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D (Post 3514059)

oh brother

The Wolf 06-03-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D (Post 3514059)

Please stop doing this.

Gil Thorp 06-03-2013 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3513881)
I have always maintained that career ending injuries should not exist at all. Instead, a players skills should just diminish to the point where the player will likely either be released or retire, just like other players with poor ratings. As it stands now, injuries can and do affect players' ratings....why should CEIs be any different?

I agree with this proposal. Also, it might be nice if there was the rare case of a player having a successful long term rehab and having a ratings rebound two or three years later.

ashantewarrier 06-03-2013 11:14 AM

Just go into commish mode and edit the player CEI to your preference.

Usually if I think a CEI is unrealistic, I just edit the injury, player history and news story.

Simple fix.

rpriske 06-03-2013 11:36 AM

If you are seeing them a lot, it may just be (bad) luck.

I have played through six seasons now and the only one I have had on my team is a minor league player... not even a major prospect.

r0nster 06-03-2013 12:08 PM

Just chachange frequency of injuries settings if you don't like it.... for me its more of a channge and forces me to goto my minor league crop or FA
I am happy with it even with the 4 of my best players go down for 4 to 6 months

Mike D 06-04-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3514112)
Please stop doing this.

This? You make it sound like I have a series of posts where i'm the problem... That seems kind of ironic...

Anyway, I'm just saying that there should be something of a middle ground between some and none. I think the Blue Jays pitcher from last week would agree that a career ending injury can be realized sooner than going through rehab. Sure he's 40 or so, but the fact that he was crying on the mound because of the injury shows that he has knowledge that he's more than likely never coming back.

But I'm probably wrong.

Postman 06-04-2013 01:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PSUColonel (Post 3513881)

I don't know. It seems realistic to me.

I've had only minor shoulder problems, and they're bad enough, but I've known athletes that have gone through shoulder reconstruction surgery, and it's not pleasant. The pain is considerable. And those guys weren't pitchers!

So, it's possible that a pitcher just can't throw through the pain, i.e. he just can't play anymore. It's not a trivial injury either. If the shoulder just explodes, repair may not be possible:

Quote:

The labrum is a ring of cartilage that surrounds the glenoid or the "socket" portion of the shoulder joint and actually serves to enhance shoulder joint stability. When torn, the labrum can catch, causing the shoulder to be painful and potentially feel unstable. The biceps tendon has an attachment to the labrum, so if the biceps is involved, it can lead to problems at the labrum. The labrum undergoes great strain where it attaches to the biceps at the extremes of motion, when the shoulder is at its fully cocked position before ball delivery, and at the end of ball release (during follow through). Since a pitcher repeats that motion time and again -- not only during a game but also during warm-ups, bullpen sessions and any other episode of throwing -- the labrum is constantly subject to stress. Surgical repair may be the eventual treatment in a thrower who does not respond to a period of rest and conservative rehabilitation, and the recovery is lengthy. Pitchers do return from labral repair, but their timetable to return and their effectiveness when they do come back is variable.
-- Common injuries to pitchers and hitters - Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

The Wolf 06-04-2013 03:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mike D (Post 3514386)
This? You make it sound like I have a series of posts where i'm the problem.

Please stop trying to start trouble. (This last post was, admittedly, a very subtle and clever second try.) Thank you.

The Wolf 06-04-2013 03:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Postman (Post 3514396)
I don't know. It seems realistic to me.

I've had only minor shoulder problems, and they're bad enough, but I've known athletes that have gone through shoulder reconstruction surgery, and it's not pleasant. The pain is considerable. And those guys weren't pitchers!

So, it's possible that a pitcher just can't throw through the pain, i.e. he just can't play anymore. It's not a trivial injury either. If the shoulder just explodes, repair may not be possible:

-- Common injuries to pitchers and hitters - Fantasy Baseball - ESPN

Shoulder injuries are awful and complicated. If surgery isn't required, then painful physical therapy is, including such modern tortures as dry needling and A/STYM. A torn rotator cuff or labrum can be excruciating, keeping you awake at night and only allowing you to sleep on one side. If surgery is required, the days following the surgery are screaming agony, followed by weeks of pain because having the surgery means that you have to have physical therapy afterwards. Shoulders are a terrible thing to injure - in my experience worse and more painful than anything but knees.

The Wolf 06-04-2013 03:56 AM

And, because somebody will ask, I've had two torn rotator cuffs, one torn labrum, one broken collarbone, and one broken shoulderblade.

TNCubsFan 06-04-2013 04:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3514425)
And, because somebody will ask, I've had two torn rotator cuffs, one torn labrum, one broken collarbone, and one broken shoulderblade.

I'll see yours and go for two rotator cuff tares, a torn ligament in the elbow, a torn ACL, MCL and at least three of the five ligaments in each ankle, to go along with traumatic arthritis in the knee with the torn ACL and MCL because I tore the cartilage in the knee at the same time. I have had a good bit of fun so far!

ukhotstove 06-04-2013 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Wolf (Post 3514424)
keeping you awake at night and only allowing you to sleep on one side.

Sounds like being in bed with the little old lady.