OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   TBCB Inside the Ropes (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   Pro Basketball Simulation-Any Suggestions? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=171404)

professordp 08-04-2008 03:38 PM

Pro Basketball Simulation-Any Suggestions?

I'm looking for a decent pc based pro basketball simulation. I've been playing Cactus League for the past few years, and it's okay. But every little revision/update has a $ sign tied to it!

Just to give you a better idea of my needs. I'm looking for something where I can play an occasional game as opposed to simulating an entire series/season. Also, I'm more interested in playing seasons of the past (circa, 1960s-80s) than most recent seasons.

Any help would be appreciated!

umk 08-06-2008 01:35 AM

Basketball Games - Shot Sports Software
It's a pretty good basketball sim which you can play past seasons, but the default rosters only starts at 88-89 season until the present. But I think you can get roster files for the other seasons made by other people and use them in the game.

You can try these other pro basketball sims...
Draft Day: Pro Basketball
Wolverine Studios - Home of YOUR Sports Management Games - Draft Day Sports: Pro Basketball Overview

Fast Break Basketball
Fast Break Basketball
This is abit old.

jasblaze 02-18-2010 03:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by professordp (Post 2554673)
I'm looking for a decent pc based pro basketball simulation. I've been playing Cactus League for the past few years, and it's okay. But every little revision/update has a $ sign tied to it!

Just to give you a better idea of my needs. I'm looking for something where I can play an occasional game as opposed to simulating an entire series/season. Also, I'm more interested in playing seasons of the past (circa, 1960s-80s) than most recent seasons.

Any help would be appreciated!

I'd recommend taking a look at Strat-O-Matic basketball....great basketball game and offers the seasons of your interest (somhoops.com or strat-o-matic.com). Jason

jasblaze 02-18-2010 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umk (Post 2555804)
Fast Break Basketball
Fast Break Basketball
This is abit old.

Is there anywhere you can still buy Jim Mickey's Fast Break Basketball? I know there is a Outlook version of the game somewhere.

Syd Thrift 02-18-2010 03:16 AM

I think Strat's probably the best basketball game out there for replays. It's pretty detailed and I for one enjoy all the things you can tell the players to do on the court. There does seem to be a memory leak in the computer game, which makes it run turrible slow unless you save and restart the game every quarter or half.

golander40 02-18-2010 05:44 AM

Another One

Action PC has every season available,plus many options in game play
Good Game
Gil

professordp 02-18-2010 08:12 AM

You should also take a look at Cactus League as well. They do college as well as pro basketball and have been around about twenty years. They offer all of the NBA (also ABA) seasons. Personally, I prefer it to Strat-O-Matic which I feel plays a little "clunky", but that's just a matter of personal taste.

Overall, the game flow is pretty decent (fast-paced sports like basketball, hockey, and soccer present particular challenges when converted to sims). It also is accurate. Finally, they are pretty active in the sense that there are ratings available for "seasons" in progress.

I've left their site below for your reference.

Like PC Action and Strat, don't expect any "freebies". They charge for everything, although they do have frequent sales and package deals.

As I said above, much of it comes down to matters of personal taste. What you like in a game might be different from the next person. So I'd strongly suggest you take all of them for a "test dirve" first. Download the demos, play a few games, and then make your selection based on what appeals to you.
Cactus League Games Inc., developers of award-winning sports computer games

professordp 02-18-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasblaze (Post 2907194)
Is there anywhere you can still buy Jim Mickey's Fast Break Basketball? I know there is a Outlook version of the game somewhere.

Wow! That takes me back more than twenty-five years! You could pick up a copy somewhere on eBay. As I recall, Jim Mickey stopped producing the game in the late 1980s (or around that time).

Concerning "homebrew" seasons for Fast Break, you could start with Table Tops Sports which does have a few (somewhat dated) fan-created seasons.

tabletop-sports.com :: Where rolling the dice is King!

Also Delphi Fourms has a thread for Fast Break where no doubt you could find the information you're seeking.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/FastBreak/

professordp 02-18-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jasblaze (Post 2907193)
I'd recommend taking a look at Strat-O-Matic basketball....great basketball game and offers the seasons of your interest (somhoops.com or strat-o-matic.com). Jason

See my comments above.

Lee 02-18-2010 10:08 AM

Draft Day Sports Pro Basketball is pretty good

DDS: Pro Basketball Mods - Wolverine Studios

There is a very nice Roster Mod from La Tulipe in the mod forum that starts in 1975-76.

Version 2 is right around the corner as well, check the demo out.

mark1529 03-09-2010 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by golander40 (Post 2907224)
Action PC has every season available,plus many options in game play
Good Game
Gil

i second Gil
pro & college

kenyan_cheena 03-09-2010 07:31 PM

Damn, this thread's averaging 100 views per post! :ohmy:

(Well, not now. But it was before I posted in it.)

meade95 03-31-2010 08:05 AM

On a somewhat side note here - Regarding college hoops, anyone know if Lance Haffner is still putting out Court Side College Basketball?

I've emailed him and called his gaming 800 number to see - Still haven't heard back from him......would like to get a CD XP version of Court Side College Hoops with a 1990/91 disk.

trident 01-04-2012 11:04 AM

There are a listing of basketball games by user rating at Best NBA, College Basketball Coach Management Simulator GM Games

Cheers

mgom27 01-11-2017 07:03 PM

NBATK,Pro Basketball Manager

professordp 01-24-2017 05:35 PM

Since I posted my comments seven years ago (see above), I have to revise my comments as they relate to Action PC. The game has really moved forward and is very rich in detail and strategy, offering many play options.

Most importantly, there's been a number of quality "homebrews" for college seasons of the past (60s, 70, and 80's in particular) on John Gardiner's "Field of Dreams" website to be downloaded free of charge.

I did tout Cactus League years back, but now I exclusively play Action PC.

bama1959 02-07-2017 07:46 PM

Strat-O-Matic is my choice, they have all great games.

trident 02-24-2017 01:49 PM

There is a little game named College BBALL Coach that looks kinda cool for mobile,

bama1959 03-04-2017 01:11 AM

You can never go wrong with Strat-o-Matic. All there games are great. I have been playing the baseball game since the mid to late 60's and went the pc way sometime in the 90's. I have a friend that swears by there NBA game. Very realistic and you can do so many different projects, creating leagues, trades anything you think up you can do.

gjb01 07-21-2021 07:23 PM

I realize this thread is ancient, but this fun basketball sim just rolled out