OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP Mods - Rosters, Photos, and Quick-Starts (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3638)
-   -   Gambo and T_Wil1 Photopack (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=184046)

brobby05 01-17-2020 10:47 AM

Hi,

I just have a basic baseball question. I'm in the process of creating my AAA rosters in my MVP 2005 editor for 1974 and I came upon this fella named Duane Shaffer under the Iowa Oaks (CHW) who also played for the Sacramento Solons (MIL), but there were no trades involved. I've come upon these exceptions before like in this case that they then only played for Iowa in 1975 for example. Could somebody explain this principle to me. I just don't know that much about it in the MiLB.

Thanks,

Brobby05

keonleafs 01-17-2020 01:00 PM

Ken Berry Indians
 
2 Attachment(s)
For a Hobbs11 request:

Cusick 01-17-2020 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobby05 (Post 4578068)
Hi,

I just have a basic baseball question. I'm in the process of creating my AAA rosters in my MVP 2005 editor for 1974 and I came upon this fella named Duane Shaffer under the Iowa Oaks (CHW) who also played for the Sacramento Solons (MIL), but there were no trades involved. I've come upon these exceptions before like in this case that they then only played for Iowa in 1975 for example. Could somebody explain this principle to me. I just don't know that much about it in the MiLB.

Thanks,

Brobby05

It's not true to say that there were no trades involved. The Sacramento Bee of 7/11/1974 reported the following: "Reserve infielder Whitey Adams was traded to the White Sox AAA farm team for relief pitcher Duane Shaffer...." Shaffer's Sporting News card indicates that he was released by the Sacramento team back to Iowa on Sept. 17, 1974, so that's why he was back in the White Sox system again in 1975. The Sporting News card does not indicate whether there was a trade or money involved in that September transaction, and I couldn't find any newspaper report on the deal to amplify on the details.

Shaffer's Sporting News card shows him moving from Iowa to Denver in December of 1974.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=shaffe002dua

https://digital.la84.org/digital/col...id/28816/rec/2

By the way, what is the relevance of your question to the major league photo thread?

jwisenberg 01-17-2020 05:32 PM

Looking for pics for Bob Kammeyer with the Yankees and Dernell Stenson with the Reds. I have the ones found on google so here’s to hoping someone has an upgrade in their personal collection. Thanks.

brobby05 01-17-2020 07:09 PM

MiLB Question
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusick (Post 4578144)
It's not true to say that there were no trades involved. The Sacramento Bee of 7/11/1974 reported the following: "Reserve infielder Whitey Adams was traded to the White Sox AAA farm team for relief pitcher Duane Shaffer...." Shaffer's Sporting News card indicates that he was released by the Sacramento team back to Iowa on Sept. 17, 1974, so that's why he was back in the White Sox system again in 1975. The Sporting News card does not indicate whether there was a trade or money involved in that September transaction, and I couldn't find any newspaper report on the deal to amplify on the details.

Shaffer's Sporting News card shows him moving from Iowa to Denver in December of 1974.

https://www.baseball-reference.com/r...d=shaffe002dua

https://digital.la84.org/digital/col...id/28816/rec/2

By the way, what is the relevance of your question to the major league photo thread?

Thanks for your answer. Technically, there isn't any relevance, but I know you guys know your players because of the photos & I know you guys know your baseball and there are a lot of these players on here that have a long minor league career. To add to your answer, I know some players are lent to other MiLB teams for a short-term basis and especially before the newer teams like the Brewers & Padres could establish all 3 levels of minor league play. You guys on this part of the OOTP community area are VERY knowledgeable & me coming to you guys is actually a compliment to each of your wisdom of the game.


Thanks again!


BRobby05

Home Free 01-17-2020 09:22 PM

Dernell Stenson 1978-2003
 
1 Attachment(s)
Just asking out of curiosity, if this isn't what you require of Dernell Stenson, what, exactly, are you needing?
Attachment 669009

jwisenberg 01-17-2020 09:39 PM

Just looking to see if other options exist. My preference is for front facing (portrait style) photos. The one you posted is what I am currently using. Thanks, I appreciate you looking.

rrb77 01-19-2020 06:55 PM

Bill D. Wilson
 
1 Attachment(s)
1950,53-54 Chicago White Sox...from ebay seller rjwenterprisesinc

cinemaodyssey 01-19-2020 09:02 PM

Leon Carlson 1920
 
2 Attachment(s)
I've had very little luck finding any decent images of Carlson, even though he appeared numerous times in baseball transactions reported in many newspapers. If anybody has something better than the two posted below, one in his elderly years and one in Spring Training with Washington in 1920, by all means post it.
He apparently got under the skin of the Senators upper management and only appeared in 3 games.

baseball-birthdays.com 01-19-2020 10:56 PM

Brad Pennington 1993
 
1 Attachment(s)
Brad Pennington, 1996 California Angels, sampled from a scan of a recently purchased slide

Cusick 01-21-2020 08:19 AM

Leon Carlson 1920
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by cinemaodyssey (Post 4578652)
I've had very little luck finding any decent images of Carlson, even though he appeared numerous times in baseball transactions reported in many newspapers. If anybody has something better than the two posted below, one in his elderly years and one in Spring Training with Washington in 1920, by all means post it.
He apparently got under the skin of the Senators upper management and only appeared in 3 games.

Can't claim that this is a better image of Carlson, but at least it puts him into a baseball uniform. He is shown here with the Little Rock Travelers of the Southern League. The image is from the Arkansas Gazette of July 18, 1920.

rrb77 01-22-2020 06:06 PM

Red Shannon
 
1 Attachment(s)
1920 Washington Senators... from ebay seller fedxit

rrb77 01-22-2020 06:17 PM

Leo Mangum
 
1 Attachment(s)
1928 NY Giants...from ebay seller fedxit

luvbblogos 01-25-2020 01:23 PM

Posted to wrong individual

Home Free 01-26-2020 12:51 AM

Jim Roland 1962; Good News, Bad News
 
1 Attachment(s)
EBay seller kingfisch6 has posted a good many Brace photos among dozens of pro and college publications, and a handful of them are truly scarce images. Among them is the first color shot I have seen of Jim Roland with his final MLB team, the Texas Rangers, in 1972. He pitched in only five games with them -- his third team that season. Previously had seen a legit B&W headshot, but this is a true Brace -- which is to say, out of focus, badly lit and not mindful of the player's pose. I'd say the only thing worse that Brace putting this out was anyone who paid for a print. At least on eBay you can see for yourself. For the record ...
Attachment 669985

Home Free 01-26-2020 12:56 AM

Better Braces
 
2 Attachment(s)
A couple of nice shots are among the eBay assortment posted by kingfisch6.
I particularly like this "rookie" image of Cardinals outfielder Boots Day, which had to be taken in 1969. I also really like the image of Brewers outfielder Tommie Reynolds. It really seems to sharp to be a Brace, but it was taken at the right place -- in front the visiting dugout at Comiskey.

Attachment 669986
Attachment 669987

pepsikula 01-26-2020 12:02 PM

Jim Roland
 
1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Free (Post 4580851)
EBay seller kingfisch6 has posted a good many Brace photos among dozens of pro and college publications, and a handful of them are truly scarce images. Among them is the first color shot I have seen of Jim Roland with his final MLB team, the Texas Rangers, in 1972. He pitched in only five games with them -- his third team that season. Previously had seen a legit B&W headshot, but this is a true Brace -- which is to say, out of focus, badly lit and not mindful of the player's pose. I'd say the only thing worse that Brace putting this out was anyone who paid for a print. At least on eBay you can see for yourself. For the record ...
Attachment 669985

Color Adjustment...

Home Free 01-26-2020 10:52 PM

1974 Tommie Agee Dodgers phantom
 
2 Attachment(s)
This past week, the Vault released for the first time spring photos from 1974 of Tommie Agee's failed final stop in his MLB journey. After spending 1973 between Houston and St. Louis, he signed as a free agent non-roster player with the Dodgers but was released on March 26th that spring.

Attachment 670185
Attachment 670186

Cusick 01-27-2020 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Home Free (Post 4580851)
EBay seller kingfisch6 has posted a good many Brace photos among dozens of pro and college publications, and a handful of them are truly scarce images. Among them is the first color shot I have seen of Jim Roland with his final MLB team, the Texas Rangers, in 1972. He pitched in only five games with them -- his third team that season. Previously had seen a legit B&W headshot, but this is a true Brace -- which is to say, out of focus, badly lit and not mindful of the player's pose. I'd say the only thing worse that Brace putting this out was anyone who paid for a print. At least on eBay you can see for yourself. For the record ...
Attachment 669985

Despite your insults, George Brace stands among the top baseball photographers in history. For example, he is included in the book, PORTRAIT OF BASEBALL PHOTOGRAPHY, by Marshall Fogel et al., published in 2005. In the Table of Contents, 21 names are given as the "Great Photographers," and his is one of them. A section of the book is devoted to the work of his partner, George Burke and to him. The book, THE GAME THAT WAS: THE GEORGE BRACE PHOTO COLLECTION, has some terrific photos. Before the Internet era, the only way a collector was going to be able to get a photo of many obscure major leaguers was by purchasing a Brace photo. He provided an extremely helpful service to the hobby through all his work in capturing so many images. I, for one, don't like seeing him disrespected now that he is deceased.

Home Free 01-27-2020 12:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cusick (Post 4581182)
Despite your insults, George Brace stands among the top baseball photographers in history. For example, he is included in the book, PORTRAIT OF BASEBALL PHOTOGRAPHY, by Marshall Fogel et al., published in 2005. In the Table of Contents, 21 names are given as the "Great Photographers," and his is one of them. A section of the book is devoted to the work of his partner, George Burke and to him. The book, THE GAME THAT WAS: THE GEORGE BRACE PHOTO COLLECTION, has some terrific photos. Before the Internet era, the only way a collector was going to be able to get a photo of many obscure major leaguers was by purchasing a Brace photo. He provided an extremely helpful service to the hobby through all his work in capturing so many images. I, for one, don't like seeing him disrespected now that he is deceased.

His persistence has added a lot to the hobby. But its a fair critique to address the quality of so many of these images. I am not feeling disrespect, only disappointment that I keep finding important images in such random quality. The hobby would certainly be poorer without his efforts. Here's the bait that reeled me in to discovering this hoard on eBay -- Don Wilson, circa 1972.
Attachment 670226

But to put it all in context, on the photo request thread, I have a list of Brace images of short-timers that exist pretty much only because of his efforts, according to the master Brace checklist on tnfoto's home page. I would pretty much pay any price in any condition to have any of them.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright © 2020 Out of the Park Developments