OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   OOTP 20 - General Discussions (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3956)
-   -   Anyone ever do a career mode? (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=303245)

Pallas 05-15-2019 05:47 PM

Anyone ever do a career mode?

Starting unemployed, applying for jobs around the world, and getting better job offers with success.

I've thought about doing it. In the end, it seems more fun to rebuild my favorite team.

Does anyone have any good career mode stories?

olivertheorem 05-15-2019 06:06 PM

I've tried this, but you sim the first day and it seems like every single job opening gets offered, and I do mean that literally. The United States should not be offering some no-name manager the head spot on the national team, for example. So I took a job in Australia.

Mike D 05-15-2019 06:52 PM

It's also ridiculously hard when you literally have players called up and down on you every day. Trying to set a lineup in advance is next to impossible

Goliathus 05-16-2019 02:38 PM

I do this and the biggest complaint I have is how time-consuming it is. I think I would be able to enjoy it more if I were an OOTP-only player but I dabbled in all kind of games so it's hard for me to commit that hard.

I usually sim a year or two into the future before picking up job as to give the world a little bit of randomization. It also makes lessen the amount of jobs, which as someone has said above, are insanely open in the first year. Just a personal preference.

Eric 05-16-2019 06:21 PM

Do you start in the majors?

I tried to start in single-A ball but didn’t get too far. It was fun just focusing on managing my team on hand instead of worrying about moving players up and down or trading for players or resigning current players. It did get annoying on Mondays when the GM moved players around.

Goliathus 05-16-2019 07:29 PM

I enjoy the minor league team and "play with what I am dealt"(I guess that's why I like card game and random-oriented games like roguelike) so I start in the minors. Also makes more sense for a new manager to start there from a roleplay perspective, which I do take into consideration for a more serious career mode save.

Mr. Marlin 05-17-2019 12:42 AM

I have done this ever since day one. My favorite minor league job was with the Casper Ghosts in 2011 or thereabouts. The Rockies system was just terrible. No talent. We lost 50+ games that first year. The second season wasn't going much better when the notice came. It read "You can be anything you want to be, except the manager of the Casper Ghosts. You have been fired". I don't know who wrote that line of text for the game but hats off to them. I laughed hard.

I love starting a new manager career. Managing a minor league team can be irritating with the unrealistically constant player shuffling the game AI does. But it has it's moments. Managing an Indy league or foreign team is a bit less irritating. I usually get a major league offer in the 3rd or 4th season as long as I haven't sucked too terribly.