OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   Earlier versions of OOTP: Online Leagues (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3643)
-   -   A new beginning (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=34981)

Hell Atlantic 05-20-2003 02:54 PM

A new beginning

I am starting a new league. I am co-founder (and owner of a team) of a very active league currently runing - RWBL - and am looking to take on a new league where i can run things closer to my vision of a realistic league experience, based closely on the MLB.

what is my definition of a realistic league? one with a very low frequency of trading, first and foremost. that means relying on your farm system to provide you with a bulk of your talent, looking to free agency to snag that all-star stud, and making a handful of trades. if you must be in a league where you like to trade for Player X (who you know you can't afford but can't resist having his high ratings on your roster) then you turn around and trade Player X to another team, then take the guys you got for Player X and trade them to someone else....ths isn't the league for you.

if you like to be a casual owner who doesn't want to bother with voting on league rules (yes, owners will vote on all rules, the all-mighty Commish will be more of an administrator than a dictator) then you should look elsewhere.

if you want to make a blockbuster trade at the tading deadline to put your team over the top, or prefer trash-talking to create a rivalry with a division foe, or enjoy wining in a system closely modelled on the real game or would like to take on an alter-ego as a league sports-writer - well, you may have found a home.

as more and more potential owners step up, i will start to draft a league constitution. this is not going to be there for eye-candy, expect league rules to be followed rigidly. league involvement is a must. no one will force you to post everyday, but you must be able check the boards frequently to know when a league vote is coming up. that is the least that will be required of you.

a two-commish format will be in a effect, i will be one, and will gladly consider any of you who consider it. i find this cuts down on cheating and helps to move things along when one commish gets busy.

i can go into more detail, if you like email me at casso.a@dreyfus.com (work) or acasso@nyc.rr.com (home). this could really wind up being fun and interesting if you want to make it that way.

Hell Atlantic 05-20-2003 03:02 PM

I have a good vision of what a realistic league should be like (not htat any other league is wrong). i am willing to wait till the right owners step up. this is an idea that i'm looking to grow - there is no current website or anything. it starts with me and it grows with you. once we get our 12 we can move forward to getting our own league website on the OSL, and from there the league will take on a life of it's own.

Hell Atlantic 05-22-2003 10:36 AM

Slowly but surely the league is coming together. I'm trying to handpick several owners who've i've worked with before, and already we're up to 4 owners. one owner i'm working with has some webspace for us to utilize, so that will likely be our temporary home until we get our 12 owners and get o nthe ootp servers.

i believe by doing things slow and doing things right, you gt a good core nucleus of owners. once we get our temporary home set up and you will have something tanglible to see you might be more inclined to jump on board.

if a realistic sim experience, with all the challenges that come with it, is what you've been looking for....you may have found your home.

I'll keep posting here often to keep all potnetial owners in the loop.

-Hell Atlantic

Another Mike D 05-22-2003 11:10 AM

This is going to be a great league with lots of committed owners once the ball is rolling full speed. We are already well on the way and the sky's the limit. Everyone is always complaining and looking for good leagues to join....this one could be up there, so get in now.

In the best leagues, it takes committed owners and a solid commish looking to do things right. This is it.

Hell Atlantic 05-22-2003 04:20 PM

Here is a list of the teams that have been taken already:

1. Red Sox- pete
2. Royals- church
3. Phillies- Carlton
4. Cubs- Bhavin Mistry
5. Mets - PhilR8
6. Yankees -keith
7. Padres- SanDiegoPadres19
8. Expos- run n gun
9. Rangers- Adam Moore
10. Giants - Giants44
11. Cardinals - Cukoo
12. A's - CommishJim
13. Devil Rays- Jay Thomas
14. Braves - pflyers1
15. White Sox - JKocurek
16. Pirates - Magic mike
17. Astros - Another Mike D
18. Reds - lynchjim24
19. Tigers - couriers
20. Marlins - Hell Atlantic
21. Mariners - hawksfanatic
22. Dodgers - rexallsc
23. Angels- JonInMiddleGA
24. D'Backs - BFleming
25. Blue Jays - EvilHomer
26. Twins - gocubsgo
27. Indians - grismosw
28. Brewers - woodchuck
29. Orioles - TracyW
30. Rockies - goldenglove21

Cuckoo 05-23-2003 02:21 PM

HA,

I may be interested in getting in on this. I've been playing OOTP for years but have never done an online league. So, in other words, I have no idea what I'm doing or what would be required. Do I need to frequently download files? I only have dial-up so that would be difficult.

If I did join, I'd want the Cardinals (since my cubbies are already taken).

CommishJim 05-23-2003 07:17 PM

I am intersted in this league I will take oakland

Draft Dodger 05-23-2003 09:06 PM

I have too many leagues on my plate, but I would like to recommend Hell's league to anyone interested in a serious, competitive league.

Hell Atlantic 05-23-2003 10:04 PM

things are picking up swiftly, by the end of next week we should be good to go. OOTPJim already granted us use of his webspace, which i want to use as a temporary home until we get enough owners to get webspace on the ootp server.

DD: thanks for the vote of support. you know there'll always be a spot for you in this league providing you want in and there's an available team. your support is appreciated.

i think i will delay selecting which team i will take, only because i find people are more active when they can control the team they like, so i rather another newcomer to the league take his team if that what it takes to keep guys happy and involved. i will bring it no matter what team i have. i'm still leaning towards the Marlins though.

Giants44 05-23-2003 11:13 PM

Thanks HA - I am fired up for this league.

lynchjm24 05-23-2003 11:24 PM

Why the heck not. HA if the Reds aren't taken I'll grab them. Are we starting with the Rolen Rosters?

JeeberD 05-24-2003 12:44 AM

HA-

As I said in the FOFC thread, I'm interested in joining up. I would love to be the Astros in the league.

Let me know if you need anything from me.

Jeebs

magicmike 05-24-2003 05:02 AM

Sent you an e-mail HA. If DD endorses it must be good :D

couriers 05-24-2003 11:30 AM

I just asked DD about the RWBL but that seems to be well taken care of for the moment. Since he is putting his support being this and the structure is exactly what I am looking for in an online league then I would love to be involved.

Please secure the Detroit Tigers for me if at all possible. I know that they will provide a great challenge so I'll just have to strive for being the most committed owner in the league. At least until the minors start producing the all-stars that the team will need to eventually become a winner.

Hell Atlantic 05-24-2003 12:03 PM

DD's endorsement was a big help. i appreciate it.

couriers, i think the award for most committed owner i nthe league will have to go to Jay Thomas, who asked to be owner of the Devil Rays. they're quite like the Tgers, but they play in a leage that has the Yankees and Red Sox in it.

lol, that's like volunteering to have a wisdom tooth removed when it's not required. good luck to you Jay.

SanDiegoPadres19 05-24-2003 12:19 PM

Its not that hard, they do have Rocco, Josh Hamilton and a very talented minor league system. Unlike the Tigers. They have...Alan Trammel, they just need to bring back Sweet Lou and Kirk Gibson :)

Ok who am i kidding, taking over the Devil Rays will be a tough task. I look forward to <strike>beating..</strike>err facing them in interleague play. Good luck to Jay as well.

I don't think i have as much clout as DD, but as far as leagues go, i don't join many leagues seeing as i currently run two, which take up most of my time but this one seemed too good to be true. Therefore i am currently trying to weasle my way in. This definitly looks to be the real deal. Join while you can ladies and gentleman.

Hell Atlantic 05-24-2003 12:21 PM

also, i don't have many of your OOTP5 message board handles here, i'm posting who has what team based on the names you guys give me in your emails. could you guys post under your OOTP5 names so i can update the list above. that would make it easier to identify who's who.

Padres/Expos owners: i got sent a very riveting email by a potential owner who wants to GM the Padres. he said he really likes that particular team, he seemd like he could be a very passionate owner and i'd like to have him in the league. his name is matt (not sure what is OOTP5 name is). he also asked if his similarly passionate friend could have the Expos. they didn't leave me with much wiggle room - they didn't provide me with other teams they'd like to have - so i'm asking you two owners if you could select other team. this way we get two more active and eager owners in the league.

if not then at least i tried and i thank you for your cooperation.

grismosw 05-24-2003 12:52 PM

I'll take the Indians if they are still available.

Hell Atlantic 05-24-2003 12:54 PM

They're yours grismosw. Welcome aboard.

hawksfanatic 05-24-2003 01:01 PM

I sent you an email about the Mariners!!!