OOTP Developments Forums

OOTP Developments Forums (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//index.php)
-   FHM - Beta Data Issues (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//forumdisplay.php?f=3860)
-   -   National Hockey League/American Hockey League (https://forums.ootpdevelopments.com//showthread.php?t=228612)

JeffR 03-03-2013 02:34 AM

National Hockey League/American Hockey League

Researchers:

NHL: Mike Farkas, JeffR
AHL: binkers87

Michael Farkas 03-03-2013 12:13 PM

Guys,

Hello, thank you for your future comments and, more importantly, your patience. It's my goal to get the NHL as accurately portrayed as humanly possible. Right now, there is only a very rough outline out of how the NHL will turn out. Changes will be made in waves on an individual level as time goes on.

I'll try to keep you guys updated as to my progress as it moves along. Thanks and enjoy!

JeffR 03-04-2013 01:50 AM

And I should point out that most of the problems you'll find with the NHL's current state are my fault, not Mike's: I only turned it over to him a month or so ago, so he's not had time to take a really good run at fixing what I got wrong.

sting004 03-04-2013 08:15 PM

Is this thread meant for all database issues?

Example: Colin greening is an LW in real life not a C.

Or.. Erik karlsson is poorly portrayed in terms of ratings?

benspit 03-04-2013 08:16 PM

Well, first data error straight off the bat!

Edmonton - Sam Gagner: listed as a RW but should be C

ctid 03-04-2013 08:17 PM

NHL players, current and potential ability

Game looks great and I'm sure you guys will be overloaded with comments and question. Let me me get the ball rolling:

How have you guys rated the NHL players, or players in general? what scale/baseline have you used?

I'm trying the game out in commissioner mode and can edit the players, I can see that players "offensive" and "defensive" attributes where I notice an offensive potential 0-1000 value and correspondingly for the defensive potential attributes. I presume the overall potential ability of a player is a combined calculation of these two values?

But how have you decided on these values for the players? I guess, that is my question.

Fiddie 03-04-2013 08:35 PM

Edmonton Oilers

Eberle, Hartikanen, Petrell listed as C's should be LW's

Ganger, Lander, Nugent-Hopkins, Vande-Velde listed as RW should be C

JeffR 03-04-2013 08:42 PM

Most of the position ratings are based on actual usage last season, so they may not be quite up-to-the-minute. Gagner, for example, spent more time on Eberle or Belanger's wing last year than he did centering lines.

JeffR 03-04-2013 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ctid (Post 3455468)
I'm trying the game out in commissioner mode and can edit the players, I can see that players "offensive" and "defensive" attributes where I notice an offensive potential 0-1000 value and correspondingly for the defensive potential attributes. I presume the overall potential ability of a player is a combined calculation of these two values?

Basically, the 0-1000 number works as a percentage of the 20-point scale - so 800 means his attributes in that category will, if he reaches his potential, average 16.

The whole ratings system is a bit complicated to get into right at the moment (the player section of the simplified ratings guide runs about a dozen pages and isn't complete), but I'll start posting more details as time permits.

Daletiel 03-04-2013 08:47 PM

Toronto's Tim Connolly has an in-game contract value of $525k/$310.5k (NHL/AHL) for 2012-13, when his actual contract value is $4M and doesn't change if he's buried in the minors according to CapGeek.

redcomet 03-04-2013 08:48 PM

There are two Mattias Sjogren's on the Hershey Bears. One has an umlaut on the o in his last name and the other doesn't.

Orioles1966 03-04-2013 08:54 PM

ECHL has Fort Wayne Komets in wrong division.

benspit 03-04-2013 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 3455532)
Most of the position ratings are based on actual usage last season, so they may not be quite up-to-the-minute. Gagner, for example, spent more time on Eberle or Belanger's wing last year than he did centering lines.

Ah I see and, in fact, I seem to remember you mentioning this before. Is there a plan to alter those positions based on those identified on nhl.com/individual team websites?

Edster007 03-04-2013 09:04 PM

Started in 71-72 the North Stars are abbreviated DAL I guess the move was already in the works :)

ctid 03-04-2013 09:04 PM

Actual games

ok...this may seem like a stupid question. But how on earth do you watch the games with the text flashing for key situations?

Right now, all it does is skip the games and tells me if i won or lost??

Edit: Nevermind, got it.

However, the whole screen is not showing. Anybody else have that problem?

Suica 03-04-2013 09:23 PM

I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but under Unsigned Draftees there are repeats of certain prospects for some teams.

I've compiled a list of the names and if you need them please notify me.

JeffR 03-04-2013 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edster007 (Post 3455581)
Started in 71-72 the North Stars are abbreviated DAL I guess the move was already in the works :)

Ugh, it's still doing that? That was supposed to be fixed, we'll check it.

JeffR 03-04-2013 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Suica (Post 3455628)
I'm not sure if this is on purpose or not, but under Unsigned Draftees there are repeats of certain prospects for some teams.

I've compiled a list of the names and if you need them please notify me.

I think I know what it is, it looks like some prospects I added on the weekend went in twice while we were updating the data. Shouldn't be hard to fix, thanks for the alert.

speels 03-04-2013 09:32 PM

Toronto Maple Leafs -- unsigned prospects

There are 2 D. Toninatos

I guess I should have updated my page before posting :)

JeffR 03-04-2013 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by speels (Post 3455656)
Toronto Maple Leafs -- unsigned prospects

There are 2 D. Toninatos

I guess I should have updated my page before posting :)

Yup, it's the same thing. The good news is, Malte says they'll be easy to purge out of the database.

JeffR 03-04-2013 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daletiel (Post 3455544)
Toronto's Tim Connolly has an in-game contract value of $525k/$310.5k (NHL/AHL) for 2012-13, when his actual contract value is $4M and doesn't change if he's buried in the minors according to CapGeek.

Strange, his numbers in the database are correct. We'll have to check that out.

Edster007 03-04-2013 10:10 PM

On my standings page: Points and GF are blank, data moved two places over so Points are showing where goals against should be and so on.

Also my record is 2-1-1 which is correct on the standings page, but at the top of my home screen it says I am 2-1-0 (although it does list me at 5pts)

steven21 03-04-2013 11:01 PM

Montreal Canadiens:

Travis Moen should be primarily a LW
Ryan White should be primarily a C
Raphael Diaz should be primarily an RD

Captain is Gionta, Assistants are Markov/Gorges

Holden Caulfield 03-04-2013 11:47 PM

Noticed at least one error with signed players.

G Chris Carrozzi is signed with the Winnipeg Jets, with 1 year, 708, 333$ left on his ELC. In the game he is not signed by the Jets.

He is likely released after the season, so by the time the full release comes out it is not an issue, but just saying :laugh:

Also, just now say another issue with Jets. They qualified LD Arturs Kulda last off-season he should be listed on the Jets protected list and is not.

JeffR 03-05-2013 01:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 3455842)
Noticed at least one error with signed players.

G Chris Carrozzi is signed with the Winnipeg Jets, with 1 year, 708, 333$ left on his ELC. In the game he is not signed by the Jets.

That's funny, he's definitely got a Jets contract in the database and everything looks correct about it. We'll have to check on that.

Quote:

Also, just now say another issue with Jets. They qualified LD Arturs Kulda last off-season he should be listed on the Jets protected list and is not.
Aw, I know what I did there. I filled out the missing player rights this weekend using Hockeysfuture's prospect lists as a guide, but Kulda's too old to go on there. I probably missed some other older guys with NHL rights that way, too.

Holden Caulfield 03-05-2013 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 3455907)
That's funny, he's definitely got a Jets contract in the database and everything looks correct about it. We'll have to check on that.

Hmm...well I just checked again and he is not listed under the Jets protected list and he cannot be traded for. So IDK, just thought I'd let you know.

EDIT: It might be something to do with the fact that he has been loaned to LA Kings ECHL affliate in Ontario rather than being in Colorado with the Jets affliate. Just a thought.

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 3455907)
Aw, I know what I did there. I filled out the missing player rights this weekend using Hockeysfuture's prospect lists as a guide, but Kulda's too old to go on there. I probably missed some other older guys with NHL rights that way, too.

Ah yeah that would make sense.

Now that I look again the Jets also qualified D Brett Festerling last year, and although he moved to DEL this year he is still RFA for them. He does qualify for UFA status this off-season so he will likely be gone like Carrozzi in the off-season, but that may not be true for all RFA's not listed on hockey's future, so glad I brought it up.

I will gladly put together a list for the whole NHL if you wish, just let me know. I'm quite good at player rights issues, it's kinda my forte over at hfboards haha.

hockeyintangibles 03-05-2013 05:41 AM

Columbus contract errors:

These guys are listed as RFA after their contract ends, but they should be UFA:

Umberger, Prospal, Dorsett, Letestu, Nikitin

Panda Bear 03-05-2013 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fiddie (Post 3455512)
Edmonton Oilers

Eberle, Hartikanen, Petrell listed as C's should be LW's

Ganger, Lander, Nugent-Hopkins, Vande-Velde listed as RW should be C

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeffR (Post 3455532)

Where did you acquire this data? Sometimes these websites have players in the wrong position.

After Nugent-Hopkins got injured last season, Taylor Hall (LW) and Jordan Eberle (RW) were centered by Sam Gagner (C). Gagner has not regularly played on the wing since the 07-08 season. Eberle has spent his entire career with the Edmonton Oilers on the right wing.

For the Edmonton Oilers, here are some position corrections:
  • Teemu Hartikainen should be 20 LW, 16 RW and 10 C
  • Mark Arcobello should be 20 C
  • Chris Vandevelde should be 20 C
  • Lennart Petrell should be 20 RW, 18 LW and 14 C
  • Jordan Eberle should be 20 RW
  • Taylor Hall should be 20 LW, 16 C
  • Sam Gagner should be 20 C, 18 RW
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should be 20 C
  • Anton Lander should be 20 C

When it comes to ratings, please take the following into considering:
  • Justin Schultz has 2.5 stars potential yet is considered to be a blue-chip prospect and potential #1 defenceman
  • Taylor Hall has 4 stars potential despite being a #1 overall. If Seguin is 5 stars, Hall must be as well given that Hall has a better points clip over the past 82 games than Seguin; further, Hall should have very high aggression and bravery as given his playstyle
  • Nugent-Hopkins as #1 overall should be 5 stars
  • Yakupov as #1 overall should be 5 stars
  • Ryan Smyth should have lower physical attributes
  • Ryan Whitney should have significantly lower physical attributes (can no longer skate effectively)
  • Ben Eager should have significantly higher physical attributes (very fast skater)
  • Mark Fistric is known for huge hits yet has a hitting of only 14

Captain is Shawn Horcoff. Assistants are Nick Schultz and Jordan Eberle.

Thanks. Been enjoying the game so far.

lightz 03-05-2013 08:50 AM

There are very few stats that have been adjusted to the individual player yet. All players have been given a target and a template to fit their style. Thats why individual stats might be a little of, but overall I think it have worked great. This will change over the beta period, but #1 focus have been to give players stats at all. :)

Regarding stars, I assume Seguin have been considered to have more defensive potential then the others. Cause they have all same (almost) offensive potential, just that Seguins defensive skills are higher and that's why he is considered a 5 star. Even if it looks wrong (in stars) I think it's pretty real.

RNH
of ability: 800 Def: 675
Hall
of: 815 def: 640
Yakupov
of: 815 Def: 610
Seguin
of 815 def 735

On Schultz he looks to have great offensive d-men potential, dunno why the game gives him so few stars.

Panda Bear 03-05-2013 10:12 AM

The templates have certainly worked out well.

You're overrating Seguin in comparison to the other three, though, and you're particularly underrating RNH's defensive work (he is fantastic at picking pockets). Behindthenet supports Edmontons first line defensive work and puck possession as well as their horrible puck luck.

If we look at Chicago, for example, Patrick Sharp has five stars. While he's a great player, how many people would realistically say he is better than two first overalls ever will be?

Anyway, this doesn't need to be about arguing who is better than whom. I just wanted to highlight some issues with the Oilers roster about three first overalls having less potential than other players in their own draft class.

Michael Farkas 03-05-2013 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda Bear (Post 3456057)
Where did you acquire this data? Sometimes these websites have players in the wrong position.

After Nugent-Hopkins got injured last season, Taylor Hall (LW) and Jordan Eberle (RW) were centered by Sam Gagner (C). Gagner has not regularly played on the wing since the 07-08 season. Eberle has spent his entire career with the Edmonton Oilers on the right wing.

For the Edmonton Oilers, here are some position corrections:
  • Teemu Hartikainen should be 20 LW, 16 RW and 10 C
  • Mark Arcobello should be 20 C
  • Chris Vandevelde should be 20 C
  • Lennart Petrell should be 20 RW, 18 LW and 14 C
  • Jordan Eberle should be 20 RW
  • Taylor Hall should be 20 LW, 16 C
  • Sam Gagner should be 20 C, 18 RW
  • Ryan Nugent-Hopkins should be 20 C
  • Anton Lander should be 20 C

When it comes to ratings, please take the following into considering:
  • Justin Schultz has 2.5 stars potential yet is considered to be a blue-chip prospect and potential #1 defenceman
  • Taylor Hall has 4 stars potential despite being a #1 overall. If Seguin is 5 stars, Hall must be as well given that Hall has a better points clip over the past 82 games than Seguin; further, Hall should have very high aggression and bravery as given his playstyle
  • Nugent-Hopkins as #1 overall should be 5 stars
  • Yakupov as #1 overall should be 5 stars
  • Ryan Smyth should have lower physical attributes
  • Ryan Whitney should have significantly lower physical attributes (can no longer skate effectively)
  • Ben Eager should have significantly higher physical attributes (very fast skater)
  • Mark Fistric is known for huge hits yet has a hitting of only 14

Captain is Shawn Horcoff. Assistants are Nick Schultz and Jordan Eberle.

Thanks. Been enjoying the game so far.

Position notations are noted. Don't worry about the ratings though. Once I start hitting players individually above the very raw framework that's out there, you'll notice a significant change. I promise.

Thanks for the constructive feedback, always appreciated!

Oyaji 03-05-2013 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Panda Bear (Post 3456148)
The templates have certainly worked out well.

You're overrating Seguin in comparison to the other three, though, and you're particularly underrating RNH's defensive work (he is fantastic at picking pockets). Behindthenet supports Edmontons first line defensive work and puck possession as well as their horrible puck luck.

If we look at Chicago, for example, Patrick Sharp has five stars. While he's a great player, how many people would realistically say he is better than two first overalls ever will be?

Anyway, this doesn't need to be about arguing who is better than whom. I just wanted to highlight some issues with the Oilers roster about three first overalls having less potential than other players in their own draft class.

Yep, advanced stats show Hall to be the engine that drives the Oilers attack. He may not be a brilliant defensive forward but his puck protection and freakish physical attributes allow him to be on the attack far more than in his own end. I don't know if his supreme possession numbers should necessarily dictate him being rated as a very good two way player though. There's a similar thing going on with David Booth. Canuck fans dislike him because he's rather myopic and the eye test would say he's limited defensively, but his possession numbers are great because of his skating, puck protection, and determination to get the puck on net. I wouldn't necessarily rate him as a good defensive forward either, but certainly try to get across that his puck handling and physical attributes are way above the norm.

I did a few quick sims, one as the GM of the Canucks, one unemployed (both crashed at July 1st). A few things about Canuck ratings:

Alexander Edler is and has been Vancouver's best defenceman for the past 3 years. He was tasked with carrying zombie Sami Salo around last year, so a lot of his numbers didn't look great but he was still the best D on the team. Both simulations had the Canucks missing the playoffs, so maybe instead of just switching Hamhuis and Edler's overall strengths, Edler's ratings could get a bump. In particular, he's a physical specimen and I'd certainly increase his strength, checking, and hitting. He's rated highly elsewhere, so I'm not sure why that only translates to 3.5 stars. A few inaccuracies:

*Alberts & Edler are listed as RD, should be LD
*Booth is a natural LW and struggled at RW last year
*Henrik Sedin is captain, Kesler and Daniel his associates
*Sedins have really high skating attributes when in truth it's their biggest weakness. They're still above average though.

Other than that, the ratings as a whole are really strong in general. One thing though, Martin Erat was rated 1 star in current ability and 4 in potential (his offensive attributes are all either 1 or 2, but he does have an offensive potential of 750). This could be one of those deals where he's rated properly in the DB but it's not transitioning into the quickgames properly.

Thanks a lot for your hard work!

Daletiel 03-05-2013 12:15 PM

Simon Gagne starts off the year in Philadelphia despite his only recently been traded there from Los Angeles.

Holden Caulfield 03-05-2013 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daletiel (Post 3456254)
Simon Gagne starts off the year in Philadelphia despite his only recently been traded there from Los Angeles.

Rosters are updated to reflect the current rosters of the regardless of when they were moved there. So all players that have moved since the start of the lockout (ie Ellerby, Loktionov, Ponikarovsky, Tangradi, etc) are all on their new teams.

RamMan12 03-05-2013 12:28 PM

I don't know if this is a database issue from OOTP or not, but Graham Mink is from Stowe, VT not Stowe, MA. (On Providence Bruins)

Daletiel 03-05-2013 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield (Post 3456261)
Rosters are updated to reflect the current rosters of the regardless of when they were moved there. So all players that have moved since the start of the lockout (ie Ellerby, Loktionov, Ponikarovsky, Tangradi, etc) are all on their new teams.

Ahh, I thought that might be the case but I wasn't certain. Thanks for the clarification.

JeffR 03-05-2013 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RamMan12 (Post 3456266)
I don't know if this is a database issue from OOTP or not, but Graham Mink is from Stowe, VT not Stowe, MA. (On Providence Bruins)

Yeah, there's going to be a bunch of guys like that, Duluth, GA and St. Paul, IN instead of the Minnesota cities are a couple of other common ones. It happened when we imported lists of players into the editor way back at the start of the database, the converter didn't use the state data properly and chose the wrong version of the city in a lot of cases.

Keep letting us know when you find them and we'll get those fixed.

Finnish Leaf 03-05-2013 04:41 PM

In Historic Mode Toronto Maple Leafs plays in ACC even though i started from year 1992. Leafs moved to ACC in mid-season 1999 (if i remember right).

N.Y. Islanders moves to Brooklyn in 2015 and plays in Barclays Center

NYR1967 03-05-2013 05:34 PM

Hi Mike and Jeff,

Thanks for all of the hard work you guys have been putting into this game - it is very much appreciated.

A few data things I noticed:

General:

No USA Nationality choice in Manger Set Up.

New York Rangers player positions:

LD Dan Girardi should be RD
RD Ryan McDonagh should be LD
LW Arron Asham should be RW
LW Marian Gaborik should be RW
RW Taylor Pyatt should be LW
RW Benn Ferriero should be C
LW Brandon Segal should be RW
LW Ryan Bourque should be C

Signed players listed as unsigned prospects:

RW Jesper Fasth should be signed 3years @ $900,000/year/ELC
C Michael St. Croix should be signed 3 years @ $665,000/year/ELC
C Oscar Lindberg should be signed 3 years @760,000/year/ELC

Long Term IR:

RD Michael Sauer has been on long term IR with post concussion syndrome since 2011 and is still listed as month to month.

Draft picks:

New York's 1st round pick in 2013 belongs to the Columbus Blue Jackets

If New York fails to reach the Eastern Conference finals in 2013 they will receive the 3rd round pick belonging to the Columbus Blue Jackets

Thanks again for the great job!

Mark

Michael Farkas 03-05-2013 05:38 PM

Thank you, NYR1967. Positions are noted. We did not distribute draft picks yet, we'll hit them all at one time.

We'll get those contracts patched up. Thanks for the positive input!

NYR1967 03-05-2013 06:12 PM

I missed one more for the Rangers

C Chris Kreider should be LW

Thanks again!

Mark

lightz 03-05-2013 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR1967 (Post 3456624)

General:

No USA Nationality choice in Manger Set Up.

It's named The united states and is very hard (impossible) to find if you don't know about it, but can't be changed.

Stinson 03-05-2013 07:16 PM

American Hockey League, Adirondack Phantoms:

Brandon Manning (LD) is listed as being 15'-5" and 79 lbs. :laugh:
The Phantoms website has him at 6'-1" and 195 lbs., and wears #28.

Also, Harrison Zolnierczyk could probably be "Harry" Zolnierczyk.

cannons 03-05-2013 11:36 PM

There are two Mark Jankowski's on the Calgary Flames unsigned draft picks list (not sure maybe belongs in college)

Michael Farkas 03-06-2013 12:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinson (Post 3456750)
Also, Harrison Zolnierczyk could probably be "Harry" Zolnierczyk.

This will be fixed.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stinson (Post 3456750)
Brandon Manning (LD) is listed as being 15'-5" and 79 lbs.

This is accurate I believe.

MXD 03-06-2013 12:29 AM

Hi Mike!

On the Canadiens, Max Pacioretty is mainly an LW. Actually, I'm not even sure he ever played another position with Montreal. Right now, he's RW 20, LW 19 and C... whatever.

Lars Eller is also not very convincing at Right Wing, but possibly better at LW. Not sure about the right scaling, though, but something like 16-20-15 could be quite accurate.

Some ratings appears a bit off (mainly regarding skating), but that's probably a secondary consideration at the moment.

Aliean 03-06-2013 09:01 AM

phoenix cayotes

Oliver ekman-larsron is a left shoter and ld
zbynek michalek is a rd

geckon 03-06-2013 09:05 AM

Rob O'Gara is there twice in the DB. He plays for Yale Bulldogs and is Bruins' unsigned draftee (that's how I found it - he's listed there twice).

Landeskog92 03-06-2013 01:19 PM

Colorado Avalanche

RW John Mitchell should be C

Joe Sacco player? :laugh:
http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1838/sacco.png

Landeskog92 03-06-2013 01:23 PM

Colorado Avalanche

RW John Mitchell should be C

Joe Sacco player? :D

http://img594.imageshack.us/img594/1838/sacco.png